BY STIEG LARSSON #95 in Books

• Could anyone recommend a series similar to this that woul...3 Answers
  • Why should I read this book?1 Answers
  • Wait. How did I not know this was a series? They only hav...3 Answers
Millennium Series
  • "The first book took a while to get into, but once I got there I was completely hooked, and couldn't wait for the next one." in 37 reviews
  • "Probably one of my favourite book series- these books are so well written, and all of the plot twists and turns definitely kept my attention- I read all three of them in a week!" in 11 reviews
  • "i liked this series alot, it got a little slow at some points and some of the characters were hard to follow but all in all good series" in 7 reviews
  • "It took me awhile to get into it, but before long I was completely absorbed in these three books." in 6 reviews
  • "The second book, as it is unabridged, was detail heavy - and not on the good details you want, but with the kind where I could have removed 1/2 the book and not even nicked the plot line." in 6 reviews
Julie T.
NEW YORK, NY
Great series. Worth the read takes you through the lives of several people and how they all come together- twists and turns- for book one the ramp up is slow, get through the first 100 pages and it will get good.
Elizabeth R.
Linwood, NC
Bookworm Expert Level 1
I watched The Girl with the dragon tattoo before I read the books and I hate doing that but the movies made me very interested in the books. The book is a lot better than the movie.
Nicole D.
Bookworm Expert Level 3
This is an awesome series if you like mystery and thriller! Personally I thought Lizbeth was an awesomely developed character and one of my favorite female book characters as well.
Dessa M.
Holland, MI
This series takes you into the darker, sometimes sordid side of life. The girl who is the main character is NOT your typical person, not someone you would initially befriend or take pains to get to know, as she is "other" in almost every way. She is not physically attractive, her personality is abrasive and off-putting, as is the way she dresses and wears her hair. But she is EXTREMELY intelligent, world wise, savvy, and yet in some cases very nieve. She has had a hellish life, but she is a survivor, and someone you come to admire and respect as the stories develop. These stories can sometimes be very explicit as regards sexual or violent situations. Yet they are very good stories, well written and riveting in many ways.
m. t.
I resisted reading these for ages, thinking I wouldn't enjoy them. After seeing part of the American version of the movie on cable, I tried the first book and read immediately through all three.

The first does take 100 or so pages to get going but once it does, it's on. Compelling, layered characters, interesting situations, twists, and really intelligent plotting, problems, and people. The shifting between various stories through the books feels logical and makes sense and the characters are so real it's very easy to care about them. No one and nothing in these books is boilerplate or one-note.

Hoping eventually the rest might be completed and released!
Katrina P.
Broadway , VA
I've known many people who read these books. I actually started the first one many years ago and put it down because I got busy (I only got about 20 pages in). I have always seen them on people's book shelves and when I saw them here on Influenster I decided I had to read them. I ended up getting hooked. Being in college and reading this series is hard to juggle because it's so long, but it's worth it. The books were well written and I can only imaging what they must have been like in Swedish. I've never seen writing quite like this before, let alone a topic like this one, so it was fresh and new. I definitely recommend reading!
Jacqueline K.
Baltimore, MD
This series is one of my all time favorites. It is very intriguing and I couldn't stop reading them. It is a shame Stieg Larson wasn't able to finish this series (I heard there were supposed to be more). The main character is empowering for women and I'm pretty sure everyone will fall in love with her. Larson's writing is exquisite and kept me very entertained. I don't want to review too deeply because it would be a shame to spoil any of the novels for those interested in reading. Even if you are only slightly interested in reading them, do it. I will most likely read them for a second time very soon.
Carmella S.
I have never been so enthralled by a book series... And I didn't even realize how intricately involved all three stories were until I reread them a year or two later. Larsson complicates the story with the most minute details that have such a profound effect on the story... I am in love with how well these books were written!!! A must read - especially before you see the movie because it's kindof scarring...
Jami T.
Most books with female leads are full of romance and and damsels in distress, but not this one. When Stieg Larsson created Lisbeth Salander he introduced a bold, strong and brilliant character that seduces us with her awkwardness. From the very first chapter of Dragon Tattoo to the final page of Hornets nest I was hooked. I felt a surge of emotions as she searched for the truth about her past and fought for her life. To call it a page turner would be an understatement. Do yourself a favor and read this, because as good as they are, the film cannot do it justice.
Amber S.
White Bear Lk, MN
The first book in the series I adored. I read it cover to cover in mere hours. The second book, as it is unabridged, was detail heavy - and not on the good details you want, but with the kind where I could have removed 1/2 the book and not even nicked the plot line. 15 pages on a trip to Ikea, isle number, item color, size. 2 pages walking to the couch from the kitchen. I wanted to dig my eyes out with spoons. I did finally finish it, months later - but I will not go on to the 3rd book and just speak of the first when asked if I have read it.
Ryashia M.
Have You Read Any Of These Books?
Jaylene P.
San Mateo, CA
How long until the book isn't so difficult to get through?
Jade P.
Holland, MI
Wait. How did I not know this was a series? They only have the first movie out, right? Are they any good?
Hope S.
Cedar, MN
Bookworm Expert Level 1
Could anyone recommend a series similar to this that would be worth reading?
Ravinder K.
Why should I read this book?