BY MEDELA

• Heard a lot about these, how does it work excatly ? 8 Answers
  • Did you find that after a while the shield didn't stick as well?10 Answers
  • Do you recommend to not use this all the time? or do you recommen...22 Answers
Medela 16 mm Nipple Shield
  • "I followed the directions exactly and even had the breast feeding consultant help me, but it was a constant problem...more trouble than it was worth." in 19 reviews
  • "first of all id like to say thank you jesus if these had not been made my babys probably would of not been breastfed.i used the other size i forgot witch one but its bigger.total life saver!!!" in 14 reviews
  • "I am very thankful for these both my daughters had a hard time latching and these made it possible for me to nurse them both for a year." in 14 reviews
  • "my lactation consultant finally gave me this to try, and i put it on, squeezed milk into it from my breast (cause there a space until the baby pulls your nipple into it), and my son latched right away." in 13 reviews
  • "My son was born with an attached tongue so it made it really hard for him to latch on which would make him upset and in return would upset me seeing him struggle when I tried to breast feed him and I was just about to give up when a nurse suggested this nipple shield, and it worked!!!!" in 13 reviews
Chelsie W.
Trenton, MI
This is the best product for a mom whose having trouble getting her baby to latch. We had a rough first week home, and my doctor recommended this. I swear it saved us all. However you have to ween your baby off of this otherwise they will need it forever. It's a mistake people don't realize can happen. Babies will learn to only latch to that and not directly to the nipple. I would recommend this to any mom who needs help latching and is at wits end.
Nathalie J.
Logan, UT
This helped me accomplish my goals of breastfeeding for a year. My daughter would not latch for very long when she was born. The lactation specialist gave me one of these & it was a miracle. I tried to wean her off of it a couple weeks later & she wasn't having it. So I ended up using this for the whole year I breastfed her. I obviously would have rather not needed it but it was a real blessing since my daughter wouldn't take my milk without it.
Lauren H.
Raleigh, MS
I know this is mainly used for inverted nipples but my nipple was cracked and extremely tender. Using the shield helped me out tremendously! It allowed my LO to nurse without killing me ! It's easy to apply and stays in place pretty well. I do feel the shield is a little pricey just for one. I was able to purchase mine at target. If have cracked sore nipples , this shield is a great little "band aid" to help you nurse with ease.
Elizabeth M.
Forest Grove, OR
Mega Parent Expert Level 2
This has made my life so much easier. Not only did it help make feeding my little man easier but it helped ease the pain on breastfeeding. It’s really easy to use, just put it on over your nipple, & easy to take off. I got mine at his pediatrics office but amazon also sells them & id get maybe more than one but it’s totally worth it!
Nicole S.
Hamburg, NY
Saved my life and my nipples! I couldn't have continued to breast feed without this handy dandy shield. Had a baby with a poor latch resulting in a blister early on, it wa excruciating  😭 The shield was just thick enough to get me through my healing time and helped elongate my stubby nipples when in use 🙌🏼
Jennifer G.
Okay, lets be honest. We can't all be mommy rockstars who get their newborns to latch and nurse without any pitfalls. My daughter was actually a really good latcher, however, my ahem, nipples were what the medical professionals called "flat". So I had a hard time keeping myself out there for my baby to nurse on. Enter the Nipple Shield. It kept me from disappearing on my daughter in between stimulation and getting her latched. I lived by this product for the first two months. I would literally panic if we left the house and I realized it wasn't with us. I eventually bought another one to keep in the diaper bag. Also, when I was in the hospital I had to suppliment my daughters feedings because she had jaundice. With this shield, I was able to use a feeding tube along myself so I was getting the stimulation and she was getting enough food. This kept everything consistant for my baby and I had no trouble with nipple confussion. It's thin, so you can feel everything. Clear, so you can see what you are working with, and super easy to clean. definitely recommend!
Tiffany s.
Linwood, NJ
I have very flat inverted nipples, so no matter what i did my son luke would not latch. my lactation consultant finally gave me this to try, and i put it on, squeezed milk into it from my breast (cause there a space until the baby pulls your nipple into it), and my son latched right away. it made it possible to breast feed.

I still had 2 problems:

1. i put the shield on, got it to stay without me holding it in place, and went to grab Luke from my husband, but when your child is screaming and flailing and tossing his head from side to side, he tend to knock the shield off your breast. then all the milk you expressed into the shield to get him interested spills all over you, and your kid screams even more cause he was SO CLOSE to food, and you just want to cry.

2. even the biggest size was a little too small and blocked some of my ducts when he was feeding

While this was the only way i could actually get Luke to feed from my breast, it was a bit of a catastrophe. In the end i ended up just pumping regularly and he ate the breast milk out of a bottle.
Amanda R.
Lenexa, KS
My son would not latch in the hospital and we had to supplement early with formula to prevent a NICU stay due to jaundice. I wanted to exclusively breastfeed SO badly, and we tried everything for about 3 weeks. Well, finally I saw a lactation consultant and they suggested a nipple shield. And wouldn't you know it? He finally latched. By that point I didn't have much of a milk supply, so I wish I would have known about these earlier. I would have brought them to the hospital! The only issue I had was attempting to get it stuck on while holding a hungry screaming infant. I had to have my husband help - I'm sure first time mom jitters didn't help the situation either, so it was always a two person job getting my son to latch. For my next baby, I will be bringing these to the hospital with me!
Amanda L.
Ephrata, PA
To make a long story short, after my daughter was born she was placed in the NICU for a month, and was unable to eat by mouth, thus making breastfeeding impossible. I pumped like clockwork everyday to build a supply in hopes that one day, I could finally breastfeed her. Towards the end of her stay at the NICU, my wish came true! There was just one issue, I had never breastfed a baby before! Not to mention, my daughter had never been put to breast, so the whole thing was a guessing game for both of us! The lactation consultant gave me these nipple shields to help my daughter latch & oh boy did it work! It made it so much easier to breastfeed my daughter! This is a must have for first time mommy's like me and/or flatter chested women!
Quinn S.
Tracy, CA
The first weeks of breast feeding my daughter proved to be quite challenging as we both attempted to master the correct latch/latching techniques. I tried A LOT of products to help with the pain/soreness, but when it came down to it, having this extra barrier from my daughters enthusiastic sucking was quite the saving grace. I only used it at the times of extreme tenderness/soreness and when there was some scabbing. The only downside in my opinion was that the package only comes with 1 nipple shield, and for optimum health and sanity you really should wash it between each feeding, so having a 2nd one to rotate in without having to pay double would have been nice. Also I will be honest and say that it didn't take away all of the pain/discomfort, it made it more tolerable.
Whitney Y.
Chico, CA
Do you recommend to not use this all the time? or do you recommend using it for a little bit?
Elizabeth S.
League city, TX
Did you find that after a while the shield didn't stick as well?
Kendra B.
Heard a lot about these, how does it work excatly ?
Jasmine W.
Saint Marys, GA
Any moms that have experienced going from a baby who latches perfectly to using one of these whenever they begin to get teeth? My son is fast approaching his first few teeth and it hurts bad enough when he clenches down just with his gums. Will using one of these help at all??
Tiffany s.
Linwood, NJ
The only time it didn't stick as well was when it wasn't clean. use some dish soap and give it a good scrub and it should be just like new.