Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

The beloved New York Times bestseller-with more than five million copies sold-by the author of One Plus One and The Girl You Left Behind They had nothing in common until love gave them everything to lose. Louisa Clark is an ordinary girl living an exceedingly ordinary life-steady boyfriend, close family-who has barely been farther afield than their tiny village. She takes a badly needed job working for ex-Master of the Universe Will Traynor, who is wheelchair bound after an accident. Will has always lived a huge life-big deals, extreme sports, worldwide travel-and now he's pretty sure he cannot live the way he is. Will is acerbic, moody, bossy-but Lou refuses to treat him with kid gloves, and soon his happiness means more to her than she expected. When she learns that Will has shocking plans of his own, she sets out to show him that life is still worth living. A Love Story for this generation, Me Before You brings to life two people who couldn't have less in common-a heartbreakingly romantic novel that asks, What do you do when making the person you love happy also means breaking your own heart The stunning sequel, After You, will be published on 9/29 by Pamela Dorman Books/Viking.

• How many have laughed and cried while reading this book?18 Answers
  • I'm excited to read this book! I loved the movie! Is this actuall...1 Answers
  • Only saw movie. Is the book a lot different?5 Answers
Buy on Walmart*
Amelia S.
I just finished this book and my heart literally aches. I knew nothing about it going in and I don't know if that made it better or worse. This was so eloquently written and thought provoking and not what I expected.
This book was both refreshing and crushing at the same time in a way that's left me feeling almost hollow.
A story of Beauty and the Beast that takes on a whole new meaning, evoking so many feels. Who'd have thought, going through someone's ordinary day would seep inside and make you feel so much for the characters. You grow to love them, feel for them, and break for them and for the tragic things that can happen in life. The helplessness to the universe.
I'm speechless. And broken. I feel like something has been given to me and taken away from me at the same time.
There were pieces in this book that were truly exquisite and will stay with me for quite some time. And I will not take for granted the things in life that I've been so blessed with, like being able to lift a hand to hail a taxi.
The biggest lesson I very taken away if nothing else is to cherish. Just cherish.
Catherine R.
Bookworm Expert Level 1
This book is fantastic.  I loved just about everything about it.  It is one of those stories that has you laughing one minute and crying the next.
I have read several books by the author, Jojo Moyes.  I really enjoy her writing style and her character development.  All of her books tend to be romantic but they aren't so over the top with romance and sugar that they are completely devoid of plot.  That is not the case at all with her writing in general, and certainly not with this particular book.
The characters in Me Before You are really fantastic.  They grow with the book.  They seem to mature and develop as the story does.  It's something that makes you want to continue to read.  They mature as their relationship does.  It's a really nice addition to the story line.  If characters don't change or grow, the story can get stale.
The plot of the book is really good.  It's not an easy book.  It makes you ask questions about where you stand on issues such as doctor assisted suicide and whether you thing it is okay.  It makes you ask yourself whether or not continuing to live in misery is the dignity any human deserves.  Like I said, they aren't easy questions and the story isn't always easy but it is always beautiful.
You will laugh, you will cringe, and you will cry but I also really think you will love it.
Leah F.
Irvine, CA
Bookworm Expert Level 1
Have you ever picked up a book and went "This is so something I would do", well that was me through the whole of this book. I love how this book doesn't start as a romance. You have a girl looking for work and a stubborn man that hates the position the world has put him in. Slowly they start to come together but at their own command. I also like that this book challenges the idea od not having an "easy" romance. Love doesn't come in a pretty box, it's sloppy and crazy, while that everything out of you. This is one of my favorite couples in any genre book I have read.
Hannah C.
Oviedo, FL
Jojo Moyes truly captured my attention and my heart with this emotional roller coaster. While I found myself struggling through the first few chapters, Moyes' writing style absolutely grabbed my attention! I devoured this book, reading from start to finish in one day. I found myself literally laughing out loud one minute and tearing up the next followed almost immediately by straight up ugly crying. Would definitely recommend and am looking forward to picking up the sequel.
Isabel R.
St Petersburg, FL
Bookworm Expert Level 2
This book has taken my breath away. It has been great and wonderful, but at the same time devastating.

It has a super cute and touching story, with characters perfect for it, incredible scenes, beautiful dialogues. It hooks you up and makes you feel everything.

I do not know what else to say other than a spoiler. But I would read this book again and again. When I just finished it I bought the tickets to go to the movie the next day; and I do not know which of the two occasions I cried more. I do not think I'd ever cried like this for a book.

Nothing else, read it.
Briana H.
Minot Afb, ND
I must say this book had me in my feelings, it was literally a roller coaster of emotions. Some parts were certainly slower than others, but you just have to keep going. Very well written, recommend to audiences in their 20's and early 30's! Enjoyable book.
Misha A.
Seaside, OR
Bookworm Expert Level 1
As always the movie version of this left out so many things.The movie made me cry the book made feel I laughed ,I got mad and I bawled my eyes out but if pick it up and read it again in a heartbeat need to remember why and how to love someone who may be considered unlovable or "broken " read this book or if you want a terribly romantic book with a unhappy ending read it because you won't regret it
Leah T.
Gainesville, FL
Bookworm Expert Level 1
This book is so beautifully written. It balances between hardships, romance, and humor. I love both Will and Lou and how they are both developed as characters. I also love how in detail the author went about Will's medical condition and the different struggles he had to deal with due to this, such as how the book includes multiple scenes where Will needs immediate medical attention and includes what that consists of. Everything meshes together seamlessly and I can't recommend this book enough.
Alex P.
Elizabeth, PA
Bookworm Expert Level 1
With no expectations, I picked up this book I knew nothing about and ended up really enjoying it. By the end, I was completely invested in the characters. Charming, creative, and emotionally charged, full of interesting components. This book proves that love isn't always the fairytale we hope it would be. Sometimes it is hard and messy and in many cases end up with a broken heart but the key is learning and living though whatever kind of love you experience. Such a beautifully written love story!
Joharis A.
Miami, Florida
I really enjoyed this book. I'm not a big fan of romance, the author always seems to want to shove in your face how much they love each other and what not. I found the main character to be likable and a bright spot on this book considering the situation. While I knew the ending of this book( it was too predictable) I still enjoyed the story.
Valeria N.
How many have laughed and cried while reading this book?
Edith C.
Temple, TX
How good is this book? I really want to read it. But I am not sure.
Monet H.
Is this book worth the read? And is there a followup to this book?
Sarah K.
Is this a good book? I haven't heard anything about it
Sarah K.
This is a movie right? Is it good