BY PENGUIN GROUP #16 in Books

The beloved New York Times bestseller-with more than five million copies sold-by the author of One Plus One and The Girl You Left Behind They had nothing in common until love gave them everything to lose. Louisa Clark is an ordinary girl living an exceedingly ordinary life-steady boyfriend, close family-who has barely been farther afield than their tiny village. She takes a badly needed job working for ex-Master of the Universe Will Traynor, who is wheelchair bound after an accident. Will has always lived a huge life-big deals, extreme sports, worldwide travel-and now he's pretty sure he cannot live the way he is. Will is acerbic, moody, bossy-but Lou refuses to treat him with kid gloves, and soon his happiness means more to her than she expected. When she learns that Will has shocking plans of his own, she sets out to show him that life is still worth living. A Love Story for this generation, Me Before You brings to life two people who couldn't have less in common-a heartbreakingly romantic novel that asks, What do you do when making the person you love happy also means breaking your own heart The stunning sequel, After You, will be published on 9/29 by Pamela Dorman Books/Viking.

• How many have laughed and cried while reading this book?17 Answers
  • Only saw movie. Is the book a lot different?5 Answers
  • Did anyone see the movie also?!4 Answers
Poppy H.
Poppy H.
Grand Island, NE
I really loved this book. It made me laugh out loud, and it made me angry. I felt joy and helplessness with each new turn of the page. At times, I had to close the crisp pages of the Me before You and sit and reflect on what I just read and my own feelings. Me before You has made me want to expand my own horizons and seek experiences that I couldn’t imagine myself doing. If Will Traynor taught me anything, it's that life as you know it can change in a singular moment, you can’t squander any time because of fear of failure or the notion that I might not like something that I have never tried before. If something were to happen to me, I don’t want to be left on the other side thinking, “What if”.

I could relate to Louisa Clark. She is stuck in her small hometown and is comfortable in her small routine. She’s afraid to expand her horizons for the fear a failure, or for the fear that she won’t like something new. Once she meets Will, and he forces her to try new things, things she swore she wouldn’t like, and would never do because she believed they weren’t who she was, that’s when she blossomed. In the beginning Lou suffered with her own lack of self-confidence. She was trapped in a seemingly endless cycle of holding herself back. With each new experience though, from something as small as reading new books, watching foreign movies, or going to a symphony, she changed. The small four walls she trapped herself in began to break down. The changes were minute while reading, but with each new push Will provided, Louisa changed. She became unhindered by her own fear.

I believe Me before You would appeal to all audiences, but especially readers in their 20’s and 30’s. Me before You would speak to audiences who have a romantic relationship, children, or other loved ones. Fair warning to those who are easily prone to crying during emotional packed moments, you will cry.
Amy T.
Amy T.
I saw the trailer for the movie and I knew I was going to see it because 1) I'm a sucker for a sappy romance and 2) Sam Claflin. Of course I had to read the book first, because them's the rules. I was expecting a cry-my-eyes-out, intense tragic romance that many might refer to as "chick lit." And I was disappointed, because honestly, it was not sappy ENOUGH for me! Louisa is the most passive character, everything about her feels empty and she never makes a decision for herself. Seriously, even when she starts living her life it's because Will told her to. [Spoilers, TW] The reveal of her past trauma felt like a gimmick, like something the author added in to make her more sympathetic or morbidly "interesting," rather than to explain or drive her character forward. And the "romance" didn't feel like a romance at all...there are too few meaningful conversations between the two main characters for me to buy that they fall in love. I did not cry at the end, didn't even feel remotely affected. I know it's a bestseller and I'm in the minority here. Still looking forward to the movie though; I hope they sap it up!
Allie P.
Allie P.
Northport, AL
I am normally not one that is easily or quickly drawn to any sort of romance novel, anything on the twilight/50 Shades (not that I'm calling those romantic) spectrum honestly leaves me running for the hills. I heard great things about this book, but I was skeptical. Then I saw the previews for the film, and it made me want to read the book because I wanted to go see the movie (yes I'm that person, I read before I view). Parts of the story were predictable, others not so much. I won't lie, I cried. The last portion of the book had me weepy and sentimental for all sorts of reasons. This book breaks your heart in the best possible way. I struggled to put it down every day and would have easily finished it in a day if I wasn't trying to prolong it ending, that's how charming I found certain characters and their dynamics. Read this book, do yourself that favor. You will thank yourself for it when you're done.
Kate M.
Kate M.
Brooklyn, NY
Such a enjoyable, easy read. The characters are developed fully and are extremely relatable, especially Lou. Her personality draws you in from the start and keeps you interested throughout the novel. It feels as if you grow with her as she overcomes challenges, develops with time, and begins to see a world in a new way. By the end, I was torn by Will's fate, and really empathized with Lou and the pain she was experiencing. I loved this book, although it's not challenging from a literary perspective it's a great story of love and loss and I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a great summer read. This was one of my favorites of the year so far and I continued on to read Me After You, the next novel, which in my opinion fell a bit short. With that said, I still powered through it in a few days time simply because I love Lou's character.
Kady E.
Kady E.
Wow! This is such an amazing, heartfelt emotional rollercoaster of a book! I love that it is not just a typical fairy tale love story with a happy ending and everyone walking away thinking that is very rarely real life. This story is complicated, messy, emotional and in ways more so like reality, because life has happened and you have to deal with it. It is so raw and you can not help but get emotional reading it. You can feel the emotions that the characters feel and it is heartbreaking. To read a book that draws you in so deeply is the truest testament of an amazing story! I am starting the sequel and can't wait to see the journey Jojo Moyes takes me on.
Amee R.
Amee R.
After almost a year of not reading a book(been so busy taking care of my newborn) I fell in love with reading again after this book. It had me up past midnight just to read another chapter. I was hung on every word and enjoyed to read and experience the love that was growing between Lou and Will. it's such an extraordinary love story and a bittersweet ending. I felt compassionate towards Will and could see where he was coming from with his decisions but secretly still wanted him to agree to just try for Lou's sake.
This is such a beautiful book and I would recommend in a heartbeat to any book lover.
Nancy C.
Nancy C.
Do you want to read a book that isn't your usual romance? Maybe, perhaps, do you want to cry?

I stumbled upon this great read on my kindle. I saw the title and was like "hm, I saw the commercial for the movie - and I want to see the movie, so I think I'll read it."

Did I expect to stay up until 3am and devour this book in 1 1/2 days?!!! No. But I thoroughly loved it.

The storyline wasn't cliche and it wasn't a perfect happy romance. I love Jojo Moyes writing style also - everything flows so well.

I highly highly recommend. I will definitely reread in the next few years.
Natalie A.
Natalie A.
Read this book because I saw the trailer for the movie and kind of wanted to find out what it was about before I went and paid money to watch the film (the trailer told me nothing), and I actually really enjoyed reading it, although it is a bit tragically haunting. Not your typical love story, but I think that's what makes this book stand out from all the other love stories out there. I finished this book in a day, if that tells you anything. Really can't wait to see the film now that I know the story. Currently reading the sequel and it's just as good!
Jeanna D.
Jeanna D.
It's a really good read, I was hooked and didn't want to put it down once I started. It definitely wasn't what I was expecting after finishing though; it wasn't quite the "romance" I was expecting since it didn't really happen until the end of the book. It seemed more that they became best friends after their journey together. I was also expecting tears, but I came away from it feeling that all was right and well in their world. All in all it was less about romance and more about the "live your life to the fullest" message, which I really liked.
Brittany G.
Brittany G.
Rock Hill, SC
This book was wonderful. The ending was very sad but the rest of the book was a beautiful story. I recommend reading this before watching the movie because they left out so much that was in the book that you should know about to make your experience with the movie better! I'm giving it 4 stars because I wish it would have had a better ending, it's been a week and I still get the urge to cry when I think about the ending I read!
Valeria N.
Valeria N.
How many have laughed and cried while reading this book?
Edith C.
Edith C.
Temple , TX
How good is this book? I really want to read it. But I am not sure.
Monet H.
Monet H.
Is this book worth the read? And is there a followup to this book?
Sarah K.
Is this a good book? I haven't heard anything about it
Sarah K.
This is a movie right? Is it good