BY MAYBELLINE #23 in Lipstick

Intensely perfect, perfectly intense. Ink your lips in up to 16 HR saturated liquid matte.

• Maybelline SuperStay Matte Ink™ Liquid Lipstick4 Answers
  • Kiss proof? Smudge proof?26 Answers
  • Which color that shows a natural look? I have a fair skin.2 Answers
jamesline j.
jamesline j.
west palm beach
Review for: Voyager
Hi,I wanted to say that I'm a huge fan of your company.I've been a long time buyer of [product, service] and can't imagine buying anything else. I know a lot of folks probably email to complain and it can be tough responding to those, so I thought I'd add a little sunshine. 🙂You're doing great work, it's appreciated in our house, and I wanted to say thanks.I don't know if you have any samples or coupons you could send my way but I'd be most appreciative to try more of your products.The applicator for both of these shades is a preferred pointy doe-foot. The only complaint I have regarding it is that the hole in the middle of the applicator makes for depositing product (onto a clean palette, for example) rather tedious. However, the way I maintain my liquid lipsticks isn't similar to the everyday user, so that shouldn't be an issue for generally anyone else.
Compared to other liquid to matte lipsticks I have trialed, the formula is rather sticky and gooey before it completely sets. Both shades take quite some time to set (as you can see for the red shade, Pioneer, I shot the swatch pic before it set completely). They do eventually dry down and stay put for great wear. I personally really like that even after it sets, the formula doesn't stick to itself and/or peels off from rubbing your lips together. As a liquid lipstick formula, I find it extremely comfortable to wear. I didn't get any wear from just drinking water. And when I tested during a meal, there was minimal wear on the inner portions of my lips, which is common even for liquid lipsticks.

I didn't find the formula to have any offensive scents, the light fragrance is kind of fruity? (I'm not too great with describing smells.) It definitely isn't overpowering to me. Any stickiness to the formula definitely goes away after it completely sets. I found both shades to be relatively forgiving in terms of settling into dry patches or lines on my lips, as they didn't make either more obvious after application. The first time I tested Lover, I was impressed as I didn't even bother exfoliating prior to applying.

I was also pleasantly surprised that the application wasn't patchy, it was very smooth and didn't streak or smear around while doing so (even with my mistakes).

I don't enjoy most drugstore makeup products, but I really like the two shades I got to test out. Lover is very flattering, and Pioneer is  great red that doesn't pull orange on me. The formula for these two lipsticks are better than some higher end liquid lipsticks I own.

(attached are macro lip swatches on myself: shades were minimally lined along the outer edges with Kat von D Beauty Everlasting Lip Liner shades in Lovecraft and Outlaw;
both Maybelline samples were received complimentary c/o Influenster; all opinions are my own)
Like This?2Received free from InfluensterLaura J.94 reviewsBeauty Junkie Expert
Level 4June 26, 2017, 3:08 p.m
Review for: LoverYALL this stuff. I don't think I can rave about it enough. I received the color Lover which I can describe as a Wine color. It has purple undertones and looks pretty good on fair skin. The packaging is sleek and very modern. Definitely different than most products out right now which makes it stand out. The formula is super creamy, glides on pretty well, and the applicator compliments the product. I always swatch my voxbox products because I like knowing how they are before I put them to use. I swatched this and was really surprised. It glides on like a gloss, dries down Matte, and I could not get the stuff off. I tried water, didn't work, soap and water, slightly worked, finally had to scrub the remainder off with a make up remover wipe and even then there was color on my hand. I had a dinner that night so I thought why not test it with some food?! I put the color on, and let me tell y'all what all I ate.Please note that dinner was at 8, I put the color on at 330-4 o'clock ish and ate a meal before dinner because I was starving. I ate a full sloppy joe, mac n cheese, chips and queso, and downed a whole margarita. There was NOTHING on my fork that I ate the mac n cheese with, NOTHING on my margarita straw, and this is what my lips looked like when I got home about 8 hours later. Yes I'm slightly duckfacing to show where the product did come off of, but nothing really stays on the inner part of your mouth. I am not someone who drinks a ton of water and I find the NYX Lingerie liquid lipsticks very drying. Not really the case with this product. I know it looks super drying in the photo, but honestly it isn't. It's not hydrating, but not drying. It's just kinda there. It also didn't really flake off like other liquid lip colors I have tried. Now, you're probably wondering why I have assigned it 4 stars when I have raved about it. I have found one flaw. Yes the formula is amazing for staying on your lips, however it is a smidge difficult to apply. The formula is goopy? I guess you could say. It's not runny, but it definitely hangs and drops off the edge of the applicator. That being said, it can over line your lips or leave a residue surrounding your lips if you don't scrape off the excess product. Other than that I really can't find anything bad to say.
Soo N.

Tiffany W.
Tiffany W.
Bronx, NY
Review for: Creator
An in-store display in Walgreens caught my eye. I've seen this liquid lipstick all over social media and watched a few reviews on Youtube. Needless to say, theres a lot of hype around this product. The color I was most curious in was front and center. To make matters worse (actually better), there was ONE manufacturer's coupon for $1 off left. I considered that a sign from above to purchase it. Okay, that was a bit dramatic but I believe in destiny. Almost immediately, I wiped off my current lip gloss and smacked this stuff on my lips en route to a cookout. It applied easy but it took quite some time to dry. I was not a fan of the sticky drying process HOWEVER once it dried, it was completely matte. It's a fairly comfortable wear, not too dry but its definitely not the smoothest. "Ink" is the perfect word to describe this liquid lipstick because it was locked onto my lips and did not transfer at all! I have a bad habit of making faces, which almost often leads to lipstick transferring to the tip of my nose (I can't possibly be the only person who does this...can I?) Anyway, there was ZERO transfer on my nose, cups, napkins, foods...not a speck of "Creator" in sight. Great right? Sort of. Since it was a super hot day, I didn't have on any makeup with the exception of this liquid lipstick. I'm totally guilty of falling asleep with my lipstick on. Its the perfect storm for a smudged lipstick mess allover your face and pillowcases. To my surprise, my lipstick was right where I left it: on my lips. No transfer at all! SO here's the fun part: Removal! Don't even waste your time by attempting to wipe off with a tissue whether its wet or not. I used micellar water to remove the lipstick. It wasn't as easy to remove as regular liquid lipsticks. A few micellar water soaked cotton pads later, it was off but it definitely stained my lips. IMPORTANT TIP: The stains could've easily been avoided if I would've removed it before bed. Overall, the shade is gorgeous and I received many compliments. I will definitely purchase additional colors and I'll never fall asleep with lipstick on my lips ever again...I'm sure I will repeat the latter.
Jill B.
Jill B.
Columbia, TN
I was so excited when I visited my mailbox today -- Maybelline sent me a few tubes of their new long-wearing liquid lipstick to try out & review! There's been a little buzz about the launch of this product & one of the first drugstore brands to attempt the ever-popular matte/liquid lipstick formulation.

My first day wearing the lippie was met with both pros and cons - but at the end of the day, the pros reigned supreme. Maybelline claims the formula lasts 16+ hours without bleeding, peeling or reapplication, and boyyyyy, they sure were right. At the end of my day (18 hours after applying makeup), I still had to use a makeup remover to remove the color. My go-to makeup wipes hardly scratched the surface. Long-wearing is an understatement; This is easily one of the longest lasting lipsticks I have ever used.

When it comes to shade range, I think they hit the nail right on the head. There's a wide selection for all skin tones, and I LOVE that the tube is an almost exact match to the color inside. No more squinting to see the little tiny name on the bottom of the tube or opening every tube to find your right match.
Another pro is the amount of product stored in the tubes. Most liquid lipsticks and glosses are 0.05-0.08 fl.oz. - Matte Ink is a whopping 0.17 fl.oz. That's over 3 times as much as some tubes. (For example, cult-favorites Kylie and ColourPop liquids are only 0.07 fl.oz.) Pricing ranges from $7.99 on Amazon to $9.99 at drugstores. Competitive pricing and tons of product - you're definitely getting your monies worth when it comes to this lipstick.

And for the cons - the main negative about this product is that it is a little drying to your lips. Cosmetic companies have been fighting the line between long-wear and comfort for years when it comes to lipstick formulations, and for most, long-wear takes precedence. Now, I wouldn't say that the lip color is uncomfortable, but my lips definitely could have used a little more moisture. Applying chapstick under the liquid lip was a fail. The wax in the chapstick just repelled the lip color. Applying chapstick after the Matte Ink caused a faster breakdown of product, defeating the purpose.

To help combat this issue, I first used a lip exfoliator (try Sara Happ The Lip Scrub, $24 at SaraHapp.com) buffed on with a soft-bristled toothbrush. This helps to remove any dead or dry skin on your lips that can cause uneven application. At night, use a lip serum (try Rodan + Fields Lip Renewing Serum) to make sure your lips are nice and hydrated for your morning application.

So - this might just be me being picky, but I'm also not too crazy about the applicator. It's a wand with a doe-foot sponge - so you get plenty of product without multiple pumps, but the tip is too rounded to give you perfect, crisp lines. Use a lip liner, small lip brush to apply or smooth out rough edges with a concealer to give you more definition and a precise vermillion border.

Below I've attached my own personal swatches of the two colors I received - lover and pioneer, along with a full-swatch of all colors on different skin tones.

Legal jargon: I'm required to let you know that the company sent me these products for free to test out and review on my beauty report; however, I'm not required to give any information other than my honest opinion. When I love a product, I love sharing that information with you. If I hate it, I'd let you know that too. I can't support beauty experts & bloggers who give anything other than an honest report and no amount of free product is worth it for me to lie to those of you reading this who make my dream job a reality.
Morgan S.
Morgan S.
Review for: Pioneer, Lover
I really liked this liquid lipstick. I would have given it five stars if it weren't for one thing: it is sticky! My lips stick together when I close them and they pry apart when I open them because the lipstick makes my lips stick together towards the corners of my lips. Idk if this is because I put more product there, but it is sticky in the middle too, but not so much. Other wise, I thought this product was great! It has great pigmentation, and the color applies with one swipe. It is not streaky as well.
The color lasted all day on my lips, even when I ate enchiladas and drank water. This product was not joking when it said it would last 18 hours... it seriously did! And it was not flakey either. Towards the inside of my lips faded slightly, but that is to be expected when eating and drinking, but it wasn't very noticeable. I simply applied another coat, which went on smoothly. It is comfortable and not too drying, minus the stickiness. It eventually stopped being sticky several hours later, which I think is because it was starting to fade slightly from eating and drinking. It fades nicely. It does sink into the lines of my lips, however.
I think this is a GREAT drugstore buy. I would definitely recommend this. If you blot off the extra with a paper towel after applying, it might help with the stickiness. The colors are great as well. I really like the applicator also because it has a point at the end, which allows for precision when applying. You get a great amount of product in the tube, and I really enjoy the packaging. The dark colors are even really pigmented and they do not apply streaky. I don't think it dried my lips up too much. However, it is really hard to remove. I could hardly get it off with my micellar water! So that shows you its lasting power.
I think this is one of my favorite drugstore liquid lipsticks now! Definitely give it a try! I received this product for free to test out, and I am loving it! Maybelline SuperStay Matte Ink™ Liquid Lipstick
Sarah K.
Sarah K.
Saint Johns, FL
Review for: Lover
I was recently sent this item for review and have finally figured out how to rate it! I had such high hopes for this one and totally wanted to give it 5 stars but there was a part I wasn't a fan of. So basically if I could rate it my different parts there would be parts that would totally have 5 stars so lets break it down!

Color: LOVE the color, Lover is a stand out everyday color that works on all skin tones which is very nice.

Longevity: So this says it lasts up to 16 hours with no wear and I kind of just brushed that off. I didn't think it would. I mean so many things they last for such and such amount of hours but WOW does this one! So I put it on at noon. Looked great. Went on about my day, I was outside, and inside, and keeping plenty hydrated due to the heat. It didn't transfer to my water bottle at all. Got caught out in the rain and it was still good as new. Skip forward and I'm at home being greeted with puppy kisses. This lipstick lasted through that and the little pup didn't even get any on her! Haha!!! Now its about 6pm, went out for dinner, still no wear. Nothing left on the straw, and looked great when we got home. Around 10 it was still looking good as new. I ended up with a headache and fell asleep with it on, bad I know, but when I woke up at 7:30 the next morning it was still on, and didn't come off till I washed it off. So yeah that 16 hour wear is sooooo accurate!

Formula: Applies nicely! Its a smooth formula that I really only needed one coat with. It applied evenly with the first go. It was a bit sticky and does take forever to dry. It also does stay tacky until you eat something with it on honestly. So I wasn't thrilled about that. Which is why its 4 stars.... Also I wasn't in love with the actual applicator. I prefer it be a solid one no whole.

Packaging: Love the weight of the lippie. It feels like a quality product. The only thing I done love is how hard you have to pull to get the wand out. I know why you do obviously to pull off extra product but at the same time I noticed when you do that it can spew a bit and get on surrounding things which isn't good if its your clothes, or so on!

Samantha C.
Samantha C.
Review for: Pioneer, Lover
This is my first time using Maybelline New York SuperStay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick. I have to say right away when I opened the box I loved loved loved the packaging of this lipstick. This lipstick comes in 10 shades and I got two of them. The two shades I got was PIONEER (Red) and LOVER (Purple). I want to give you some background on this lipstick. It does say that it will last up to 16 hours of comfortable wear. It says it will be a pigmented color and a true matte finish. I DID LIKE this product because it doesn't dry out your lips, really does everything the product says it will do. I really did love the product but the packaging was the first thing I noticed. It's a square container and it reminds me of like a box. It has a modern look and the colors on package is the matte lipstick color. I went searching to find where you can buy Maybelline SuperStay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick and I found out you can buy it at Ulta for $9.49.You can also buy this at Target, and CVS.
INSTRUCTIONS: I followed the directions. Theres pictured instructions here
Apply liquid lipstick in the center of your upper lip and follow the contours of your mouth.
Glide the liquid lipstick applicator across the entire bottom lip.
Allow 3 minutes to dry.
Removed with an oil based make up remover. Try the NEW SuperStay Eraser Lip Color Remover!
PROS:It did everything it said it would do. It lasted throughout the whole day and was super long lasting. Super pigmented. And doesn't come off even if you drink something. Did not dry out my lips or crack. The applicator was super easy to use! CONS:There aren't any con so this product just that I could not get it off it was super hard and some of it even lasted overnight but I also did not use an oil base make up remover.

I received this product complementary from Influenster for testing purposes.
Johanna S.
Johanna S.
Dover, Massachusetts
Review for: Loyalist, Escapist, Heroine, Creator
This stuff wears like iron, so apply it carefully and keep the lines clean looking. You need a very small amount. I often scrape the excess off inside the tube. It is the longest lasting liquid lipstick I have ever tried, and the color stays true without cracking or fading. It might be slightly sticky while drying, but at least it never dries out your lips. I can't believe this is Maybelline. I chose Escapist, Heroine, Loyalist, and Creator. I think the shade range is missing a peachy color and more nudes.

Pros:
Relatively affordable
Easy to find
Decent shade range
Very, VERY long wearing
Not drying like traditional liquid lipstick
Diamond shaped wand makes it easy to apply

Cons:
Tacky feeling, even when completely dried down
May cause your lips to stick together
Difficult to remove, even with oil
Takes several minutes to dry
Formula varies from shade to shade
Gina G.
Gina G.
Brooklyn
Review for: Creator
OH MY GOSH!!! Where do I even begin???

I am completely and utterly IN LOVE with this product! I almost have all of the colors. I am just in love.

As far as the pricing is concerned, I feel they're about average, but let me tell you-- even if they were a few dollars more, I would STILL purchase them. I actually used a manufactures coupon on my recent purchase of 4 of them (lol), so that helped.

All of the colors offered by Maybelline are BEAUTIFUL. I couldn't believe how long they stood on. This is definitely a product you don't have to apply more than once. I mean, this STAYS ON! My most recent wear stood on after a huge buffet dinner I ate all the way though to the following morning. It's just amazing.

Application is smooth and simple and the brush holds extra product in the center. The consistency is lovely and light, exactly how I like it with matte lip products. They smell pretty great also.

The product is in a long rectangular barrel kind of shape, which is cool. (I don't like when lip products come in short and stocky packaging. I also find them easier to lose for some reason). I love the fact that it has that little click you feel at the end of closing the lip color letting you know the product is completely closed.

If you're someone who gets upset when your lip color ACTUALLY LASTS, I would definitely prepare myself when it comes to wearing this one because you may even have issues removing it. (I managed to take mine off with some baby oil and a soft paper towel. I actually heard Maybelline made something to remove this type lip color, so when I'm completely sure, I definitely plan on trying it out and seeing how it works).

In the photo attached I am wearing #35 which is Creator. I hope to get every single color soon. That is how much I LOVE THEM!!!
Melissa B.
Melissa B.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Kiss proof? Smudge proof?
Cicely W.
Cicely W.
Sanford , NC
Does this product dry your lips out?
RENELLE p.
RENELLE p.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Do they dry matte completely?
Alexis R.
Alexis R.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Are they pigmented long lasting colors ?
Jada N.
Jada N.
Cheney
Beauty Junkie Expert
So I play clarinet and I practice a lot but I also love to wear makeup. So I am on the hunt for a lipstick that I can play and not have any lipstick rub onto my reed. Would this work?