Add a Photo

By MAYBELLINE NEW YORK
#21 in Mascara

Back by popular demand, Great Lash Royal Blue gives your lashes a subtle pop of color that is universally flattering for all eyes.This cult-classic mascara is a wearable shade that conditions lashes and spices up your everyday eye look with a pretty blue hue. See for yourself why we had to bring it back!

Photos (854)
Alicia S.
Alicia S.

MAYBELLINE BLUE VOXBOX @influenster @maybelline @InfluensterVox #GreatLashBlue #contest: I received my complimentary products for testing purposes, of the contents of the Maybelline Blue VoxBox. Though products were free, all opinions and reviews found below are of my own and independent from any party. VoxBox contents included the iconic green and pink bottled mascara in Blue and an Infallible line crayon eyeliner in Onyx. I believe the legendary green and pink Great Lash mascara packaging dates back to 1971! Amazing. I also went researching and found indication that Maybelline is still believed to be the #1 used mascara in the U.S. I think these stats speak for themselves as far as formula greatness and brand longevity!

The eyeliner (as I do prefer a crayon) was self sharpened and a creamy, smooth application. I would undoubtedly buy this again, and tell others my positive experience. The Infallible line is known for its performance and lasting power throughout the wear and tear of the day. Great for a busy mother of 3 !

The mascara's biggest attributes were its non-clump formula and lengthening capabilities. You cannot let it dry too long in between coats, of which I found two necessary to achieve full blue color coverage. The mascara does harden quickly. Bad for reapplication, but good for drying when flying out the door.

The blue mascara look was fun and brought back memories to my days in the 80s when high school and life was just easier. At 46, this is not a look I would wear regularly, but I would use it for fun days. Having blue eyes, it was pretty. I used a very soft pinkish base on lid, minimal highlight on brow, winged the crayon on upper lid, then put a complimentary blue shadow on top of the wide wing (in another blue) for more drama (wanting that blue lash to steal the stage). I only applied shadow and minimal mascara on bottom lashes and lash line. Using very minimal blush and a nude lip, the mascara took the lead. Again, it was very pretty and I was pleased with the results.

Nice product....but can only wear at certain times.
Amie M.
Amie M.
Dracut, MA

I received Maybelline's Great Lash Blue voxbox for testing purposes from Influenster. All opinions are my own!!
I used both the Great Lash Blue mascara along with the Maybelline Unstoppable black eyeliner that were both in the box, I first applied a cool tone champagne and bronze eyeshadow, lined my top and lower lids with the unstoppable eyeliner and then generously applied the Great Blue Mascara to get the most color payoff. First off, applying more then one coat wasn't really needed as I immediately noticed the beautiful royal blue color with just the first swipe of the wand. I'm not usually one to wear blue on my eyes but even I have to admit that this mascara has a really glamorous look once applied. The formula is really amazing too, it made my eyelashes appear thick and long and definitely exceeded my expectations. Curling my eyelashes without even the use of a curler (which I forgot to use). Being a mom of 3 I'm not sure if I would wear this again on my day to day as my look has to be more on the conventional side but I would totally wear it again for a night out with the girls. The unstoppable eyeliner was equally satisfying. It went on smooth and straight without any smudging. Again, I don't usually wear black (I was more of a brown eyeliner girl) but I actually really loved the look of it on me. So much so that I've replaced my current eyeliner with this one. I gave four stars for all of the positives listed above, I subtracted one due to the mascara not lasting the entire day and leaving a bit of blue under my eye when my day was done. To be fare though, it was an unseasonably hot day when I tested this out. Overall I would definitely recommend both the mascara and eyeliner, they both impressed me immensely and gave me a whole new appreciation for drugstore makeup.
Christina G.
Christina G.

Great Lash mascara has been a bestselling staple product for decades, and it does have staying power. I had the opportunity to test the formula in Royal Blue for free thanks to Influenster and Maybelline.

I have used Great Lash before, and it is a reliable mascara for your drugstore makeup shopping needs. The blue color is visible clearly on the brush, which may be a little shorter than some are used to, but don't worry, apply it and wiggle it through your lashes, and it will give you separation and some lift. The blue adds a fun pop of color to the formula, which lets you apply a couple of coats before it dries.

A few things I noticed:

- The blue is fun, but never overpowering. However, as a dark brunette, this limits the way the color shows on my lashes. But this makes it infinitely more wearable in any situation. I wore mine to work, to spend time with friends, and while running errands.

When you have dark hair, you might think your only mascara options are black or brown, but nope!

- On me, the mascara color showed up best in the light and from the side. However, the lash separation, lift, and formula lasted through my day until I took my makeup off at night. I used a little setting spray on my makeup.

I am taking off one star for the difference in how much color wear you can expect from this product. Blondes and other light-haired folks will see the most payoff, but it's still fun for those of us with dark hair. Especially since it is wearable all over.

- Included in the package I received was a waterproof Unstoppable pencil liner in Onyx, which I will review separately, but it may be my new favorite drugstore pencil liner. It stays where many smudge badly.

Karen D.
Karen D.
Fontana, Ca

I received this mascara in the #greatlashblue voxbox and I was excited to see that a product I so fondly remember my mother using when I was a little girl has made a comeback in a big way! First off I want to say thank you to @influenster & @maybelline for the free products for testing! This was my first #voxbox and I was incredibly excited to try on and review the makeup. Please keep in mind though the products were free my review is my own honest opinion... so now all that is out of the way, here it is. Maybelline Great Lash Royal Blue Mascara comes in the cute and classic tradition bright pink and green tube we all know and love from maybelline great lash mascaras and it also has the same (I'd describe it as a more separated spiral bristle) lash building brush. As for the formula I love that it is smooth and not clumpy, it doesn't leave me with tarantula eyes and I love that I can keep building until I am satisfied with my look! When it comes to the color I also am satisfied with the results, I am a brunette with dark lashes and you definitely see a slight pop of color in most lights. Outside in the sun and in well light areas that slight pop becomes a wow! The royal blue really is a gorgeous color and gives even my everyday simple cateye and chapstick a fun wow factor without the overdone feeling. Just a tip: use a mascara primer, for those of you with dark lashes that really want the blue to pop more, it really helps to add to the drama!
Brittany M.
Brittany M.
Oneonta, NY

Before I forget, I'll say I received these products (both the mascara and #Maybelline Unstoppable black eyeliner) free for review purposes. I received the Maybelline great lash royal blue from Influenster. I had tried colored mascara in the past, and I never liked it very much, but I figured if they were giving it to me for free, why not? I was excited to wear it on Sunday, because as you can see the dress I wore has a lot of blue lines in it. I wore both the eyeliner in the mascara for three days in a row with different make up looks (you can't really tell from the pictures, but one is beige with purple undertones, one is brown and gold, and one is more magenta with purple undertones). As you can see you can't really tell my eyelashes are blue. I even asked one of my friends the first day. As I wore it over the next few days, I noticed blue glints if I turned my head a certain way. I also noticed when I put it on, my eyes seemed to turn a more gray color (my eyes are blue with yellow/brown undertones, so wearing brown makeup cancels out the brown in my eyes and makes them look blue). I am not a person that uses 17 layers of mascara, so no one would really ever be able to tell it was blue. I do not think I would buy this if given a choice, but it was fun to try, and I will work my way through the tube.
kaitlyn r.
kaitlyn r.

I received the Maybellines Great Lash Blue voxbox to review for free from influenster. This is what I thought.....
IM ABSOLULEY IN LOVE! At first I thought I wouldn't really like this mascara or get much use out of it since it was a colored mascara. But when I put this on, it made my eyes really pop. I have dark brown eyes so I decided to try out a new eye look trying out the mascara. I did a gold halo eye using the naked palette and applied the blue mascara on my lashes which in my opinion the blue and gold together are stunning. Not only did my eyes look beautiful but it lasted all day and there was no type of transfer what so ever. The packaging of it is the famous pink and green tube, very classic maybelline mascara packaging. I applied two coats (which for me is usually how much I use) as well as using my benefit lash primer before and the application of it was very nice and easy. The formuIa is a little bit liquidy but nothing to major. The mascara itself will not give to much volume so thats why I had used my lash primer, but it does separate and make your lashes long as well as giving you that pop of color. I highly recommend trying this out because its really cool and its always great to branch out and try new things. 5 stars! #greatlashblue #contest
Bri N.
Bri N.
Wisc Rapids, WI

First of all, I'm grateful for the opportunity to receive this product free to test out. However the product was a bit of a let down. This Great Lash mascara has been around forever, and I've never heard rave reviews but have always heard that it was "good." It's not a very pricey product at all, so it won't set you back too much. With that being said, I've used other mascara in the same price range with better results. I did not really care for the mascara. I typically use Better Than Sex Mascara by Too Faced so it's a big difference for me. The wand doesn't have very many bristles and doesn't give me nearly as much volume as I'm used to. I do have to say that the color is very pretty, but if you have dark lashes, you need a few coats to notice it. I noticed that it suggests to use a lash primer and I did not do that so maybe you'd have better results with a lash primer. I personally probably won't use it for my regular lashes again, because it doesn't give them enough volume but I think it looks great on the lower lash line! I would probably use it on my lower lashes again! It may work well with false lashes too! Overall, the product is ok but I wouldn't rave about it to everyone I know. Maybelline Great Lash Royal Blue Mascara #GreatLashBlue
Caitlyn P.
Caitlyn P.
Bronx, NY

I received this product complementary for testing purposes in exchange for my honest opinion!

1) It's been a while since I've used Maybelline Great Lash mascara so I was sort of surprised by how small the brush was. I noticed too that there wasn't that much product on the brush -- which can be both good and bad --
2) I started to coat my lashes, and I will say the formula goes on nicely. It's not clumpy at all. This is a great mascara if you want separation and lengthening.
3) I thought the mascara fell short when it came to providing volume! I naturally have longer, somewhat full lashes, but I really love when a mascara helps to make them look more full. This just made my lashes look long and separated. I asked my mom how she thought it looked on me, and she said she couldn't really see any difference. Upon closer look - she finally was able to notice the blue tint.
4) The blue is a nice color, but I think it needs to be layered a few times to make it more noticeable. The good thing, however, is that this mascara is very build-able because the formulation does not cause anything to club, so you can keep layering the product!

Overall, I'd say it's okay. I personally would probably not purchase this, but it does have some benefits to it!
Simi G.
Simi G.

I received this product for free in exchange for an honest review.
I was honestly not a fan of this product. I was excited to try this product because my make up routine as of late has been very basic, and I was looking forward to spicing things up. This product was not the way to go. When I first put it on, my eyeleashes immediately began clumping. That didn't bother me as much. I have naturally thicker eyelashes and a lot of formulas don't account for that. I used an old mascara wand to seperate my eyelashes, which reduced the clumping, but didn't entirely get rid of it. What really bothered me about this product was how uneven the color looked when I first put it on. The tips of my eyelashes were drenched in color, but no matter how hard I tried, the color would not show up on the roots of my eyelashes. Even more unfortunate was that half an hour later, I couldn't see the color at all, and my eyelashes began to clump again. I think part of the problem may be that I didn't use primer, but I really do think that a solid mascara should be able to last longer than half an hour even without primer. I'm giving this product two stars because I loved the color, but it definitely didn't meet my expectations.

Tiffany S.
Tiffany S.
Salt Lake Cty, UT

I received this mascara complimentary from Influenster in exchange for my review. When first arrived I didn't expect much and thought it was going to look cheap and tacky, 80s electric blue. I was wrong!! I was surprised how much I liked it. First I applied my normal black mascara. Then I applied this over top. It gave my lashes a gorgeous, rich royal blue tint. It wasn't overwhelming by any means. It's almost like getting highlights for your hair. In the right light you notice it a lot more. I have blue eyes and it really made them pop. The color reminds me a lot of in blue. The color once applied looked just about the same. I prefer Benefits mascara formula and brush to Maybelline's but Maybelline still gets the job done and isn't clumpy when you apply. I know of a lot of people that swear by Great Lash so it's just a matter of personal preference. I didn't have any mascara flakes. I hate when that happens!!!

If I were to purchase blue mascara again, I would purchase this over Benefits. Why? The price! I'm not going to wear blue mascara every day and it's not worth spending 3x more for something that gives me the same results. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a subtle change, to add a pop or color or just for fun.
Victoria F.
Victoria F.
Spring Valley, CA

I've never tried Maybelline mascara. Is it good?
Melissa S.
Melissa S.
Poughkeepsie, NY

Does it show up on dark lashes without a primer?
Nicky B.
Nicky B.
Ursa, IL

Has anyone else had the issue of the blue just not showing up?
Carolina G.
Carolina G.
London

Does it volumize?
Megan P.
Megan P.

Does it take a few coats to be noticed?

Join Now