BY MAYBELLINE #8 in Face Primer

Maybelline's FaceStudio Master Prime Hydrate + Smooth Primer is formulated with a water-soluble base and active ingredients that refine the look and feel of skin and keep makeup in place from morning to night.

Benefits:

• Helps smooth and even out skin tone and prolong the look and wear of makeup
  • Weightless and non-oily makeup primer
  • Formulated to target a range of specific skin concerns
  • Wear alone or under foundation

How To Use
Apply all over face before foundation or wear alone for a luminous effect.

• Any suggestions for primers? For oily skin and extremely...3 Answers
  • Is this truly an i mean truly worth 12$ that's alot for t...3 Answers
  • Does the primer is blue on the face?4 Answers
Maybelline FaceStudio® Master Prime Primer
  • "as an oily/combo skinned girl, i wouldn't have thought to try this primer. after receiving this product from influenster, i decided to only try it on the drier areas of my face, which are my cheeks and the area around my eyes. i stuck with my usual matte primer on my t-zone. this primer feels really nice and smooth without feeling or looking greasy. it felt hydrating and smooth on the dry areas of my face and helped prevent any flakiness that usually goes on if i use a matte primer with a matte foundation. it didn't seem to do too much to increase the longevity of my foundation, but i just like using primers to have one more layer of product between my skin and my foundation. there's no noticeable smell, and it comes out looking and feeling like a white lotion. i probably won't get much use out of it in the summer when my entire complexion gets oily, but i'll certainly bring it out again in the colder, drier months!" in 1224 reviews
  • "i really liked this primer. i’m not usually impressed with drugstore primers but this really smoothed out my dry patches and prevented foundation from clinging to them. it felt really similar to smashboxes hydrating primer!" in 654 reviews
Nicole K.
Review for: Hydrate + Smooth more...
So I'll start off by saying that I'm usually pretty hard on products when testing them out.  If a product doesn't live up to what it is made out to be, I'll make sure others know it.  This product was given to me for free in a voxbox, but having said that, it will be judged the same as if I bought it.

I was excited to see that I was getting a primer.  I currently use the benefit POREfessional primer which works well for me.  When I got the product, it claimed to be hydrating and will smooth your skin tone and will prolong the makeup.  It also claimed to be non-oily and can be worn with or without foundation.  The only thing about the packaging that I'm not a huge fan of is the small hole.  It is hard to get a lot out at a time, but I did find that you really do not need that much anyway.  It felt nice on the skin.  I personally wouldn't wear it by itself as it made my skin look oily without being oily if that makes any sense.  It looked very shiny, which I don't really like, but after putting on a matte foundation it was fine.  I was honestly really surprised by how well the primer withstood the day.  I touch my face a lot, so I was surprised that at the end of the day it still made my foundation look nice.  I have combo skin so I was worried that I would be oily at the end of the day, but I was surprised that I was not oily at all.  It also didn't dry out my skin.  The primer kept my foundation looking matte the entire day.

I tested it out for a couple days to see if the results were consistent, and they were.  One day I decided to try half my face with the Maybelline primer and the other have with my benefit one.  They claim to do slightly different things, so I'll give it that, but as it is my regular primer I thought what better one to compare it to.  The one difference I noticed was that I felt like on the Maybelline side, my foundation creased a bit more under the eye, but that was the only noticeable difference, and for a fraction of the price, I'll just deal with the extra creasing.

As far as what it claims to do, I feel like it did actually keep me hydrated throughout the day.  My foundation didn't have any dry patches to cling to while using the primer.  As far as the smoothing part, I didn't really notice a difference.  I don't feel like my skin looked or felt any smoother.  I could still see some pores, but nothing major.  It did feel very light on the skin which I liked.  It definitely helped prolong my makeup.  It held up against my high end primer at a fraction of the cost.  This is a product that I would purchase myself.

Morgan m.
Greensburg, PA
Review for: Blur + Smooth more...
Honestly, Maybelline Master Prime Primer surprised me. I expected a formula and texture along the lines of Smashbox Photo Finish but was pleasantly surprised these are a creamy texture with an easy to apply and absorb formula. The texture is a very lightweight cream with a subtle hand cream-like fragrance. The formula is that of a thin, lightweight moisturizer that absorbs easily into my drier skin and leaves it smoother and softer. Dry skin will love this consistency but I think if you have oily skin you might not really love it. Now these lightly hydrating and they won’t make skin shiny or oily so any skin type can easily use them. However, if you do have oily skin that might not mattifying enough for you but….Maybelline doesn’t promote them as mattifying either so there is that. Now Maybelline does say the blur…blur what? The appearance of pores? Or perhaps they are referencing creating a smoother appearance on skin which they do. After use my skin looks smoother, my foundation applies more easily, however, if you have larger pores and expect this to blur their appearance well….that’s up for debate. I don’t have larger pores however, I do have visible pores on my nose and this blurs their appearance every so slightly. I suspect this will blur the appearance of smaller pores however, if you have larger ones you might not be completely thrilled with the results and find that a silicone based primer does a better job filling and blurring the appearance of larger pores. All in all, I think this primer serves it purpose. It made my face smooth and I have dry face so my foundation glided over top which was a huge plus.
Mackenzie S.
Plymoith
Review for: Other more...
I really love this primer as far as drugstore primers go. It really helps give me that dewy,radiant and luminous finish look that I LOVE! The product I have is Blur+ Illuminate (200). It comes in a 30ml/1 fl oz black matte bottle. The product itself comes out of the tube a very light pale pink. The smell of it is absolutely amazing. It is not over powering, and it reminds me of a tropical vacation or something! When you blend it into the skin, it gives me a face almost like a satin finish. It is NOT shimmery or glittery AT ALL. It really just gives it a nice natural radiance to my skin. I think this performs really well with a luminous foundation like becca aqua luminous. Me personally, I only apply this primer to the sides of my nose and outward toward my cheeks. I do this primarily because thays where I prefer the most radiance.

The texture of this primer is very smooth and creamy. It does not leave a very sticky or dewy feel to my skin. As for extending the life of your makeup, I feel like you should probably use another primer underneath this one to extend the wear of your foundation. Overall, this really makes my skin beautiful and gives it a very natural and healthy glow. Even if I am not wearing makeup, I will throw some of this on my face and it looks great. The finish is really subtle and I love it. Plus it has spf 30, which is always a plus!

Overall, a really great primer for an even better price! I got mine on sale for only $2!! Best $2 I've spent on a makeup product!
☁ E.
West Orange, NJ
Review for: Hydrate + Smooth more...
When I first got this primer, I was skeptical because it had more of a lotion texture than a silicone texture that most primers have when claiming to be both hydrating and bluring. I applied this primer and decided to test it for a week with a few different foundation formulas to see how it performed. And it was interesting at least.

The first foundation I tried it with was the [product:maybelline-fit-me-dewy-+-smooth-foundation]. Somehow my face became a bit too shiny, and creased a bunch. I didn't set the foundation first so it may be my fault. However it is winter and usually my face is super dry.

The next foundation I tried was the [product:huda-beauty-#fauxfilter-foundation] and it worked out much nicer than the maybelline. My skin was smooth and it didn't crease until about 6 hours in. I did set my face that day though.

The last foundation I tried was [product:l'oréal-paris-infallible-pro-matte-foundation] since it's my go to drugstore foundation. I must say this primer works best with more of the "matte" foundations since it does give moisture to the skin. The matte formulas seems to balance it out. Overall this product is nice. I do recommend it with a matte foundation. However if used with a dewy, make sure to set the foundation with powder ( a good setting powder would be either the Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder or IT Cosmetics® Bye Bye Pores Pressed.
Gina C.
Encinitas, CA
This primer is amazing. I love how fresh, dewy, and glowing it leaves your skin. I use it alone or under foundation/concealer, and it makes my pores look smaller and it makes my face look silky smooth. The product is also very affordable, and I would definitely buy it again. It comes with a lot of product for such a cheap price, I recommend it to anyone who wants a cheap primer that will instantly make your skin look so smooth and fresh. When using it under makeup, this primer ensures that your makeup will stay on all day and look so smooth and perfect as it did when you applied it. This primer also smells amazing, and is the perfect primer for getting that glowey and smooth skin look. The second picture I applied is my face after using the primer under my concealer, and it shows just how smooth and mattifying it is on the skin. It makes my skin look glowing. The first photo where I have makeup on is how my skin looks after using the primer under my face makeup, it makes my skin look so smooth and it kept my makeup looking fresh all day.
Rachel O.
Akron, OH
Review for: Hydrate + Smooth more...
I really enjoyed this primer. I usually turn to expensive primers out of the expectation that they will preform better and I was pleasantly surprised with how wrong that expectation is! I applied the Master Prime Hydrate + Smooth primer before applying my foundation I use daily. First impression, I felt it was light weight and smelled very nice. It glided on my face and seemed to smooth the texture of my skin. It wasn't oily but it was hydrating at the same time. Overall, I felt it made my skin look and feel better before even applying my foundation. My foundation applied nicely, it didn't settle on dry patches or slide right off. This primer was a nice canvas for smooth and even application of makeup. The real test for me was how well my makeup wore throughout the day as a result. I put this primer on in the morning and didn't hit the bathroom to wash off my makeup until well after midnight. I do think it helped extend the life of my foundation but have had slightly better results with staying power. However, for the selling price of this primer, I would chose this to use on an average day at the office and be pleased with the results. This product is worth it and saves you lots of money! Definitely an awesome product that hydrates and smooths your complexion with or without makeup. I would recommend this to my friends!
Niki S.
Review for: Hydrate + Smooth more...
Just wanted to give a review of this primer that I received complimentary from @influenster for my honest review.

When I first saw I was getting the hydrate + smooth primer from @maybelline I was worried, because I'm an oily girl. But I decided to give it a try, and I was pleasantly surprised.

I have tried it with two different foundations, Loreal Pro Matte and Urban Decay Naked Weightless Foundations, a tinted moisturizer from NARS, and alone, and the only one I was disappointed with was when I wore it alone, as it peeled on my cheeks. But I think if I play around with a different moisturizer or the application method, I may end up enjoying that as well, as it was only a minor issue to begin with.

I surprisingly do not get super oily with this primer. It doesn't seem to block my oils, but it doesn't seem to make them worse either. I also feel like my foundation wears well over this primer. I have managed to get all day wear out of both foundations and the tinted moisturizer that I have tried this with. Overall, I would recommend this primer and I'm so happy I was sent this primer complimentary from Influenster.

#free #honestreview #review #maybelline #hydrateandsmooth #primer #influenster #recommend #happysurprise #oilyskin #oily
Engela S.
Review for: Blur + Defend more...
This is my first primer with SPF in it! The consistency was like a lightweight lotion and the smell is very refreshing. It goes on smooth and doesn’t have that silicone feel to it, which I loved. The primer definitely has a tacky feel to it once applied, but does not make your skin feel dry or sticky. I have a combination of oily and dry skin so the true test was my foundation application and longevity. I did notice my pores on my cheeks looking a little smaller, hence the ‘blur’ effect. After the primer, I applied a stick foundation with a beauty blender and the tackiness of the primer went so well with it! I’ve never tried a primer that made my foundation feel like it was actually ‘sticking’ to my face (That’s a good thing haha).
I wore this primer for the entire day without blotting/touching up and on the 9th hour, I noticed my face getting super shiny. BUT my skin looks blurred still and I love that!
I would still wear this during the day, but since it has SPF, i would avoid doing flash photography and i’d say that’s one of the downsides to this primer.
Overall, i’m content with the results! I like the peace of mind it gives me since it has SPF and I really love the whole blur effect, too! I’d recommend it to a friend :)
Bailey K.
Stockton, CA
Review for: Blur + Pore Minimize more...
I received this product free from Influenster for testing purposes, though I am judging this product the same as if I bought it myself.

Before receiving this product, I would typically use the Maybelline Baby Skin primer, though I would use the Maybelline Master Prime in the Hydrate + Smooth variety if my skin was especially dry. However, after using this primer, it is my new go to. In comparison to the Baby Skin primer, this one is much thinner, which I really enjoy as the Baby Skin was comparable to the consistency of Vaseline, which made it a bit hard to blend out. However, the Blur + Pore Minimize primer was more like a light moisturizer consistency, which made it easy to glide onto the skin and blend out.

In terms of blurring and minimizing my pores, this primer definitely lived up to both of these claims. My skin looked airbrushed before I even applied foundation, which I have not noticed with any other primers (not even the Baby Skin primer). When I do apply foundation over this primer, my skin maintains this airbrushed look and lasts throughout the day.

I have gotten many compliments about how smooth my skin looks while wearing this primer, so I definitely recommend it.

Ren E.
Review for: Hydrate + Smooth more...
I have Combination, very acne prone skin, my cheeks can get normal to dry and my tzone oily. I've been testing this out with different methods and different foundations and it seem to have done an overall good job as to what it claims. It is a thicker consistency, almost like hybrid of silicon primer and lotion. It feels smooth and soft on the skins and I had no problem applying it throughout my face. It kept my cheeks from drying and flaking, as well as preventing texture, but it didn't do much for my tzone. I noticed that this works best for normal to dry skin. You may try to use it for oily, but you need to prep your skin beforehand and use a powder. It didn't make me more oily than I usually am, it didn't dry me out, it didn't separate my foundations, and it didn't break me out(so far.) It smoothed out my textured skin, seeing how I have a lot of textures and healing acne. It didn't do much to hide pores, but then again it didn't really say it would. It worked well with my go to foundations and stayed put till I had to remove it. It actually worked better than my Becca Backlight Priming Filter Primer, when it came down to hydrating my cheeks. The best way for me to apply it is by warming it on my fingers before dabbing it onto my cheeks since I have textured skin. The best foundation I found worked well with it, so far, was my Laura Mercier Flawless Fusion foundation. With the primer and foundation combined, it didn't smudge, smear, get overly oily, or even move till removal. The foundations, however, did move when I wear my glasses. I don't know if it has anything to do with the primer itself or just my oily tzone, but beware for both glasses wearers and or oily skin. I received this item free for reviewing purposes, by Influenster Vox Box.
Is it worth buying ???
Athena M.
Fremont, CA
I see a lot of beauty gurus using this product and there makeup lokks good when there done but i was wondering if its worth $12 and if it makes your makeup stay?
Leslie V.
North bend, OR
Love maybelline and been wanting to try what does everyone think
Chasity M.
Winston Salem, NC
How is this product at improving the look of pores and fine lines?
Sadia d.
whats the best primer you have used?