BY MAYBELLINE #48 in Lip Gloss

Saturated vivid color meets strong lacquered shine for your most sensational high-shine lip.

• Does this leave a sticky feel after application7 Answers
  • They make these look extremely opaque in all the commercials I've...2 Answers
  • Was this an easy applicatin for you?6 Answers
Elizabeth C.
Louisville, KY
Beauty Junkie Expert
I'm really not sure how I feel about this. I only buy high end makeup and am a stickler for quality like how it feels, how it applies and how long it wears and of course how it looks. I only wear the best of the best and even the high end brands don't hit my standard of quality half the time.
So my sister in law is 22 (I think?) And just now getting really into makeup. She has a little collection going of mostly drugstore makeup. I use this from time to time when I'm over there and need a touch up since carrying my makeup around with me hasn't ended so well in the past. So I tried this and wore it as long as it would wear without messing with it and here's my review.
So the applicator is fine. It allows for precise application and can cover the fullness of the lip as well. Your basic doe foot velvet applicator. The formula is where the problems lie. Now, there are good things about it. It's not so horrible I could not wear it by any means. For example, it is exactly what it claims to be. It's a super pigmented and vivid colored lip gloss with a super shiny lacquer like finish. That's great. Lot's of mostly drugstore brands don't even stay honest with what their product does and doesn't do.
My issue with this product is the thickness of it. I understand it has to be thicker to hold this type of pigmentation in a gloss but it's almost to thick to wear and it is to thick to be comfortable. It's so thick that it applies way to much even with a light hand so I had to blend out with my finger to remove the excess and then press toilet paper between my lips to remove the rest of the excess. The thickness also caused the line not to be straight and precise despite the applicator being able to provide that because it was so thick it almost pulled on itself. After doing this to it I took the picture above.
The lasting power was decent for a gloss. I got a good 1.5 hours out of it before it was completely gone. It of course faded throughout that entire time but that's what gloss does so I don't blame it.
It did get on my teeth easily so make sure to put your finger in your mouth like your sucking on it and then pull your finger out with your lips around it. Any excess on the inside of your lips will be left on your finger and that took care of the problem.
It is a bit spendy for a drugstore item of not so great quality but the color selection is decent. I'd say just find it on sale.
It's super easy to find at places like ulta and Wal-Mart. That's a definite plus.
It is sticky and thick and patchy and its impossible to get a precise line with the applicator but if you're willing to work at your lipstick you can make it look half way decent like in my pic here. I prefer my lip products and makeup products to look great at application which is why I pay more for them, but on a budget you can look just as good with a little more effort and this is one of those things that requires a bit more effort.
Overall its not mind blowing or a must have item but I'd probably use it if i owned it or could find it for cheap maybe.
Hope B.
Beauty Junkie Expert
I really hate lip glosses but I decided to try this out. It surprised me! It's actually very good! I just don't like the way lip gloss feels on my lips but if you love lipgloss this is perfect! It is very pigmented but can be patchy at times so you have to even it out with the lipstick wand. I think this color is so unique and beautiful. I probably wouldn't buy again just because I don't like lip glosses but if there is a matte version of this I would love to buy it! I'm impressed Maybelline ❤️
Odinaka A.
The applicator is what made me love this product the most. Makes it easy to line your lips before applying the gloss. The gloss is VERY pigmented which I like. This is the shade Retro/74. Needed a brown gloss and this one is perfect!
Emily A.
Beauty Junkie Expert
I don't typically purchase drugstore makeup items but I decided to try this lipgloss after seeing MakeupShayla use it in one of her videos.

Unreal is a true nude that is just a bit too light for me to wear on it's own due to my skin tone, but applied over a darker lipstick (like Shayla did it her video) it looks beautiful. It applies smoothly and evenly, although it is a bit sticky and over the course of wear time did spread a bit outside my lip lines.

The wear time was about 4 hours before needing to reapply and being a gloss it is not eat, drink or kiss proof!

I would likely repurchase!
Samantha S.
Bellevue, NE
Beauty Junkie Expert
I purchased this lip gloss in a crazy color- Major- which is blue. I wanted to try something out of my comfort zone. Well that it is!!!! I guess I assumed this would be a deep navy color but it ended up looking like a bright vibrant blue (think smurf blue 😳). I am into dark lip colors and I can even pull off bold colors, but this color is just too much for me. I did REALLY love the look of the actual gloss. It was very shiny, vinyl looking so I feel like I would enjoy this gloss if it were in another color. Maybe I will try again, but the blue is a no for me!
Amani W.
Syracuse, NY
I wish I had a more positive experience with this product as I LOVE MAYBELLINE as a whole but I was not impressed. Especially with the matte lip color. It was messy and not matte at all. Not worth the money to me. I would rather invest in a higher end brand.
Emily J.
Gainesville, VA
I am not usually a glossy type girl, but I am forever changed after this gloss. It wasn't sticky which is always an issue with a lot of glosses I have tried in the past. I am also extremely impressed with the pigment since a lot of glosses don't have good pigment.
Nicole D.
Gary, IN
Beauty Junkie Expert
Maybelline Color Sensational Vivid Hot Lacquer Lip Gloss is one of my go to products. It is easy to apply, goes on smooth, and has color like my lipstick enabling me to wear it without putting on lipstick. It’s a pretty good price and I would recommend it to anyone.
Amanda H.
Southern Pines
Beauty Junkie Expert
This is such a great product! I am obsessed and I would definitely recommend it if you don’t have it already! It’s a great deal and it lasts a really long time. What a great product that I definitely recommend to all my friends and family!
laura P.
Islandia
Beauty Junkie Expert
This lipgloss is so amazing is really pigmented I bought it at Walmart which is not somewhere that it is expensive it’s really long lasting and is not expensive and I would totally buy it again and I would totally buy and other colors because it’s just awesome the formula it’s extremely good it doesn’t need anything else a got everything
Kaelah B.
Hampton, VA
Beauty Junkie Expert
Does this leave a sticky feel after application
Phebean C.
Columbus , OH
Beauty Junkie Expert
Was this an easy applicatin for you?
Jessica K.
High Ridge, MO
Beauty Junkie Expert
What color do you LOVE using on your lips?
sav s.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Will this dry out my lips?
Ashley E.