Maybelline Color Sensational® Vivid Hot Lacquer Lip Gloss

Saturated vivid color meets strong lacquered shine for your most sensational high-shine lip.

• Does this leave a sticky feel after application7 Answers
  • They make these look extremely opaque in all the commercials I've...2 Answers
  • Was this an easy applicatin for you?6 Answers
Elizabeth C.
Louisville, KY
I'm really not sure how I feel about this. I only buy high end makeup and am a stickler for quality like how it feels, how it applies and how long it wears and of course how it looks. I only wear the best of the best and even the high end brands don't hit my standard of quality half the time.
So my sister in law is 22 (I think?) And just now getting really into makeup. She has a little collection going of mostly drugstore makeup. I use this from time to time when I'm over there and need a touch up since carrying my makeup around with me hasn't ended so well in the past. So I tried this and wore it as long as it would wear without messing with it and here's my review.
So the applicator is fine. It allows for precise application and can cover the fullness of the lip as well. Your basic doe foot velvet applicator. The formula is where the problems lie. Now, there are good things about it. It's not so horrible I could not wear it by any means. For example, it is exactly what it claims to be. It's a super pigmented and vivid colored lip gloss with a super shiny lacquer like finish. That's great. Lot's of mostly drugstore brands don't even stay honest with what their product does and doesn't do.
My issue with this product is the thickness of it. I understand it has to be thicker to hold this type of pigmentation in a gloss but it's almost to thick to wear and it is to thick to be comfortable. It's so thick that it applies way to much even with a light hand so I had to blend out with my finger to remove the excess and then press toilet paper between my lips to remove the rest of the excess. The thickness also caused the line not to be straight and precise despite the applicator being able to provide that because it was so thick it almost pulled on itself. After doing this to it I took the picture above.
The lasting power was decent for a gloss. I got a good 1.5 hours out of it before it was completely gone. It of course faded throughout that entire time but that's what gloss does so I don't blame it.
It did get on my teeth easily so make sure to put your finger in your mouth like your sucking on it and then pull your finger out with your lips around it. Any excess on the inside of your lips will be left on your finger and that took care of the problem.
It is a bit spendy for a drugstore item of not so great quality but the color selection is decent. I'd say just find it on sale.
It's super easy to find at places like ulta and Wal-Mart. That's a definite plus.
It is sticky and thick and patchy and its impossible to get a precise line with the applicator but if you're willing to work at your lipstick you can make it look half way decent like in my pic here. I prefer my lip products and makeup products to look great at application which is why I pay more for them, but on a budget you can look just as good with a little more effort and this is one of those things that requires a bit more effort.
Overall its not mind blowing or a must have item but I'd probably use it if i owned it or could find it for cheap maybe.
Michelle B.
Biloxi, MS
I bought this, because I have been wanting a dark, bright red gloss. It has been my ideal look lately. However, this product has some issues. The biggest issue is how much it gets on my teeth. I have tried the finger in the mouth technique and everything. That works for a bit, but then, it somehow finds its way to my teeth again. I cannot stand that. Otherwise, the formula is thick and goes on nicely. The applicator is a great size and shape. The other downside is that it feathers during wear. I have bought a new lip liner to see if that will solve this issue, but I have not combined the two yet.
Lauline G.
For the price, you can't beat this drugstore lip gloss. I'm a HUGE lip gloss person. I was really impressed with the shade "Unreal" because it is super pigmented and opaque on the lips. It is also really comfortable and not sticky at all. However, if you apply too much product, then it can become a little sticky. A little goes a long way with this product. My favorite gloss on the market is the Kylie glosses, but this definitely is super similar in formula (I think the Vivid Hot lacquer may be a little more pigmented though). Looking forward to trying new colors!
Jackie F.
I got these in a few of the nude shades as well as some of the brighter and darker shades. The nudes are excellent and some of my favorite lip losses. The color is completely opaque with just one swipe. The darker and brighter colors are more questionable. The red one goes on fairly well, but you need more than one coat to get it opaque. The dark color is a complete mess. It’s streaky and you can’t build it up to complete opacity. I’m giving this five stars though because of how amazing the nudes are.I
Scarleth N.
I own the Maybelline Vivid Hot Laquer in “Unreal” I don’t like wearing on its own since I don’t like lip glosses. I do like wearing on top of my nude lipsticks because I feel like it applies so much better and it looks better too. The only thing I don’t like about this products is that it can become really sticky if you apply too much, so less is more ladies. This is why I only gave it 4 stars!
Hope B.
I really hate lip glosses but I decided to try this out. It surprised me! It's actually very good! I just don't like the way lip gloss feels on my lips but if you love lipgloss this is perfect! It is very pigmented but can be patchy at times so you have to even it out with the lipstick wand. I think this color is so unique and beautiful. I probably wouldn't buy again just because I don't like lip glosses but if there is a matte version of this I would love to buy it! I'm impressed Maybelline ❤️
Suela S.
University Ht, OH
This lip gloss is the best gloss I have used other than the Nyx butter gloss in "tiramisu" and "angel food cake" which are my lip gloss holy grails. The consistency of the gloss as well as the longevity are phenomenal especially for when you consider the price point that you're buying this at! My absolute favorite shades that I use daily are "Unreal" and "Charmer". You definitely need to try this product as I can guarantee you won't be disappointed. :)
Janeigne N.
I truly love these lipglosses I have three super creamy and easy to apply and they are super pigmented when I say pigmented they are pigmented and I love the applicator they are super long lasting and I will re-purchased them over and over again! From left to right( too cute , unreal and tease) ! I purchased mines at Walmart!
Ashley C.
Scottsdale, AZ
One of the best lip glosses I have ever used. I usually go with a matte lip but recently I have been trying to get into glosses. I chose this one at CVS and have fallen in love with it. It’s such a beautiful lip gloss and the color I got is a great nude with a touch of pink. I’ve been reaching for this gloss recently for my makeup looks. It has high shine and stays on wonderfully. The only problem I would even consider giving it is that it’s a bit stinky. Also, it seems that drugstore makeup prices are going up but that’s not really an issue.
Dixie G.
The product has great pigment and looked good, I like the applicator because you can get sharp clean lines. But this isn’t a moisturizing lip gloss at all and to me it’s extremely thick and sticky feeling. So I probably won’t be wearing again, but it’s a great affordable option for others who want this patent leather look it gives!
Kaelah B.
Hampton, VA
Does this leave a sticky feel after application
Jessica K.
High Ridge, MO
What color do you LOVE using on your lips?
Phebean C.
Columbus, OH
Was this an easy applicatin for you?
sav s.
Will this dry out my lips?
Micaela R.
Morristown, TN
Are these good? Any complaints? Wear time? What's there finish?