BY MAYBELLINE #63 in Lipstick

Mattes go metallic. Sophisticated brushed metal texture in lavish metallic hues for your most sensationally gilt-y lip look.

• What are your thoughts on these metallics from maybelline ?6 Answers
  • Would you recommend this color has anybody tried it6 Answers
  • How do these compare to other metallic lipsticks?3 Answers
Lish N.
Eastpointe, MI
Review for: Molten Bronze, Smoked Silver
Conceptually, they are beautiful and have some real potential. The colors are quite unique.

I got the colors Molten Bronze and Smoked Silver. Molten Bronze is very unique in that it is a purply bronze base with a green gold micro Shimmer. Super unique! Smoked Silver, on the other hand, looks purple in the bullet with a silver micro shimmer but does indeed apply on the lips like a "smoky silver" so it is aptly named. It's basically a smokey eye but for your lips, if that makes any sense. They are both gorgeously Moody and perfect for fall.

They do indeed have a matte finish, but they are not drying. In fact, they are actually quite hydrating, especially for a matte lipstick. They have an ever-so-slight metallic Shimmer. So they are definitely matte metallic. True to advertising there.

Now for the cons. When I swatched these on my hands and bare lips, they were patchy. The micro glitter would clump together leaving patches of skin still visible through the pigment as well as an uneven distribution of metallic finish. Coverage can be built up to an adequate opacity, but it takes some work and a concealer base (yes I prepped my lips properly).

This isn't really like their color Sensational formulas in the past. I swatched several of my other color Sensational lipsticks of varying finishes just to be sure that I wasn't being too hard on these. All of the others, except for one swatched a lot smoother than these. So I think the matte metallic formula still needs a little bit of work.

But like I said, they have a lot of potential! They are very comfortable on the lips, like all color Sensational lipsticks are. They are neither to dry nor too slippery. They are long lasting and wear down gracefully. No funny tastes or smells. The color options are absolutely gorgeous! I feel like there's something for everybody in terms of Shade range. The only thing I'd say is just to fix the patchiness and hopefully go cruelty free! And these would be gosh D cool!

My favorite is definitely Smoked Silver, though, because it's so sultry and also a little less patchy. The biggest tip I can give with these is to wear concealer on your lips and avoiding rubbing your lips together until you have coated them both in product. Otherwise you'll create a patchy finish. Even if these weren't a COMPLETE win for me, I still want to thank Influenster for sending these to me for free to try. I was very excited and honored to receive my voxbox and it was a lot of fun to try these, especially since I don't know if these were colors that I would have picked myself!
Brandi G.
S Chesterfld, VA
Review for: Pure Gold, Smoked Silver
I have a massive lipstick collection and have recently started adding metals and metallics to it. I've been going through an all matte finished lip phase but have seen some amazing shades of metallics in magazines, on social media, on chicks while out shopping etc... So I purchased a few from different brands online and I instantly fell in love with this type of lipstick. So when I saw the Maybelline Color Sensational Matte Metallics Lipstick badge, right here on Influenster along with all the great reviews and posts on ig from those who got the VoxBox, I just had to try them. I have the shades Pure Gold and Smoked Silver. Pure Gold is absolutely stunning and is exactly what the name says... GOLD! A beautiful, metallic, creamy gold. I have used this color 2-3 times since I got it last week... It worked amazing on an glowy, dark brown/black smoky eye with gold shadow in the center and gold highlight look, along with a little of the actual lipstick on the inner corners of my eye (it really tied the look together!) but I also used it to recreate a gold glam skull look I saw on the Maybelline Ad for these beside the display. Smoked Silver is absolutely gorgeous as well. It has gone great on days when I do a dark smoky eye/complete bold & dramatic look. It also looks great even when the rest of your makeup isn't dark or dramatic... It's a silverish, medium purple with shimmer and can give the simplest look an amazing pop of color! They are both very creamy, easy to apply and they did apply evenly with the exception of Smoked Silver slightly streaking with one coat, but after allowing it to sit, applying a 2nd coat did the job! Both colors lasted a little over 4 hours on the lip with a lip primer. The Gold I used for my Halloween inspired look did last longer than 4 hours on my face, I used face primer underneath and used a teeny tiny bit of finishing powder to set it. Bottom line, now that I own these 2 shades and have been able to swatch the rest, I love EVERY single color from this line and will be back to Wal-Mart to grab the rest soon!!! For a little under 6 bucks, you honestly can't beat the affordability for the quality! And I have one that's from a differnt brand that costs over $25 and it doesn't hold a candle to these. These stay true to their colors, have a wide variety of shades so there's so many to choose from, literally everything from gold to silver... Gorgeous hues of shimmering metallics from light natural shades to dark and brilliant bolds! I highly recommend these to EVERYONE! This entire line will be an awesome addition to my makeup collection! My reviews tend to be long sometimes and although this is def one of them lol, I could go on and on about these hidden gems... I didn't even know they existed until I opened this app. And I'm so glad I found them. So here's a big shout out and thanks to Influenster for making me a new fan! Can't wait to share more swatches and looks with new colors! xoxo #contest #iwannawin
Karlie R.
Benton , AR
Review for: Molten Bronze, Smoked Silver
I’m reviewing colors “smoked silver” and “molten bronze”
PROS: these colors are GORGEOUS and unique. They really are metallic and matte at the same time. They dry down really well, and though not particularly long wearing (though they aren’t claiming to be) they stay on pretty well and dry down in place impressively and it doesn’t slide around like I thought it might. I’m used to liquid lipsticks and the doe foot application; but this was surprisingly quick and easy to apply! The little curved Indentation in the tip of the lipstick make lining your lips and getting a nice clean line pretty effortless. It feels comfortable on my mouth, and it’s not drying at all! It feels quite hydrating, which I love! Also, the packaging, though it doesn’t really stand out, it is classically attractive, and easy to put in a purse or pocket and take it with you on the go.
Cons:
There’s just not enough pigment! One swipe doesn’t even begin to do enough coverage; upon one or two swipes, it almost reminded me of a child’s toy/ slightly tinted play lipstick. You can build up the pigment a little more, but you have to swipe and swipe and swipe and it’s quite a bit of trouble to apply and really work the pigment up. Then, it’s very patchy and clumps up around the inner portion of your lips. The pigment hardly stuck to the innermost, wettest part of my lips no matter how much I tried to dry that part off before applying; my natural lip color ended up showing through.
OVERALL THOUGHTS: this product is just ok. It has a lot of potential, but the formula certainly isn’t perfect. For the price point, it’s a decent deal. I can see myself wearing this for a picture/Instagram post because the colors are stunning and aesthetically pleasing and the metallic trend is very “in” right now! I’m not sure if it was intended and marketed to be just a light, delicate wash of metallic lip color, or if it was intended to be a bold metallic strong lip look, but it is certainly not pigmented enough for the latter claim. imagine a very strong pigmented formula may be difficult to achieve with a metallic finish, but to conclude this review, I will suggest you try one or two shades out because what does not work for me could work amazingly for someone else! I recommend using a lip primer or concealer base before applying this lipstick to help the pigment pop and to camouflage your natural lip color. *I received these two shades complimentary from influenster for testing and my honest review. THANK YOU, influenster!*
Elizabeth C.
Louisville, KY
Review for: Molten Bronze, Smoked Silver
I absolutely did not think I would like these or would even be able to wear them or incorporate them into real life even if I did. I mean metallics? That's for teenagers am I wrong? Think of the boldest metallic lip you can and would you wear that at the office? I hope not.
But that's not at all what this is. I was totally surprised when I put them on. The formula was amazing. It was soft and moist going on and even when it dried down completely it felt as if it wasn't even there. That's how comfortable it was. Like a second skin. Both of them. So great.
So I tried on the Smoked Silver as well and I definitely thought this would never look good on a really pale/ light skinned girl like me and that it could only look good on dark skinned women. Boy, was I wrong! It was smokey and purple and silver and gray and dark and neutral all at the same time. The depth of this color can't be captured by pictures at all but it's amazing and so deep and pretty.
Both of these colors are great for this fall and winter season. They came out at the perfect time. They are subdued enough that they can be worn daily and even during the day at the office to at home with the kids. Then it can be dressed up for a holiday party or a girls night out or a date night with the love of your life.
The best part about these? Any woman or girl of any age can pull these off and not look too desperate or too old for their age. They are fun but pretty and subdued. They really shocked me in the most amazing way and I'm ecstatic. I couldn't be more grateful to Maybelline for coming out with this unique collection.
Metallics needed to be done this way in an affordable everyday collection for all skin colors and leave it to Maybelline to do that perfectly.
They do look a little patchy at times but a little blending by pressing your lips together fixes that. They do fade but they fade nicely in a mostly uniform way. The lipstick bullet shape fits the curve of the top and bottom lip perfectly which I love. No effort for application at all. Stays on for at least 6 hours before even a touch up is needed.
I totally recommend. And they are so affordable you can buy a few.
I received these complimentary for testing purposes but was not paid for my reviews or told what to say at all. All opinions are completely my own.
Lisa L.
Morehead, KY
Review for: Molten Bronze, Smoked Silver
I am new to this so please bear with me (this is my 1st ever voxbox) but that being said, i am extremely happy with my new products as well as very (very) pleased with the quick shipment and delivery once approved!!! that was such a welcome surprise today in my mailbox! :) I must say that I am partial to the molten bronze shade! it was nice looking in the tube but when i put it on it was just absolutely gorgeous with my brown hair and eye palette. I don't have any pictures yet but perhaps I will post some soon with this on. very pretty. looks way better ON than you would expect just "looking at it" in the store etc. ok. so the other shade i received was the smokey silver. it totally appears purple and i agree 100% with whoever stated something about it looking like an eye shade but for your lips!?! i was like omg, i was JUST thinking that with my first application! in fact, i would go so far as to say it is also a cute beauty hack if you wanted to use it for both ;) I know i have in the past... just swipe a thin layer on the lid and pop! there ya go! ;) beautiful color and true to it's name. definitely a #mattemetallic. Also on another note dealing with this company I recently realized something totally weird as well. ***in all the hundreds of products i use and have used over the years when i got to examining them all i saw that although i use several types on different occasions; every single product I use daily (makeup) is actually maybelline!!! well. so i guess this WAS in fact the right campaign for me! <3 <3 <3 these #mattemetallics  lipsticks are the perfect addition to my maybelline collection. very happy to have been chosen and will look for more awesome products in the future! thanks #Influenster. . . i will be using these a LOT this upcoming holiday season! :)
*I received this complimentary product from Influenster & Maybelline for my own testing purposes and review. This review is courtesy of Influenster's Maybelline Metallics New York Vox Box. All opinions are 100% my own honest review. thank you.

Danielle K.
Brooklyn, NY
Review for: Molten Bronze, Smoked Silver
First thought? Call me weird but I most definitely have a thing for packaging! Loved the appearance of the tube. Has a dark mysterious vampire-esque vibe to it. When you think of matte you think dark and mysterious. So the packaging definitely fits the brand and the name. When I went to open the tube I fell in love with the color and the sparkles! It just automatically makes you say "ooooh!" out loud (or maybe that's just me haha). I loved the shimmery dazzling color effects. I also liked the smell! It didn't have a cheap play doh smell to it like a lot of lipsticks. It actually has a nice cocoa Shea butter like smell to it which made me realize not only is it gonna look pretty,its also most likely going to be moisturizing. Oh Maybelline how you never let me down!

So at first glance I thought it would be a little too much for everyday use but I was pleasantly surprised. The first shade I tried was Smoked Silver. At first glance it looks purple but when you put it on it looks like a darkened silver color. Hence smoked silver haha . I didn't really like this color on me. It was a little too opaque for me. Too frosty. But I think it would look good on a more fairer complexion. Second shade I tried was Molten Bronze. This color to me was definitely something I would wear on a regular basis. It was a nice coffee cocoa brown shade that seemed to blend into my skin really well. It was cute and subtle but still made a statement. Definitely great for fall. I loved how smoothly the lipstick just glided on. Very effortless. However, I didn't like the fact that you have to keep reapplying to get the effect that you want. It was a bit too sheer. I literally had to put on like three coats of lipstick to see some action lol. To see some color.It made your lips super moist but didn't turn out matte.least not for me.

Overall: great packaging, great smell great fall colors just wish they were a little more pigmented. But I haven't tried every color so I might find more that I will fall in love with or identify better with. I would definitely try more out though! I'm absolutely excited and so happy that I got my first voxbox! I received these products complimentary from Influenster for testing purposes.
maximillian s.
Smyrna, GA
Review for: Molten Bronze, Smoked Silver
I received the colors "Molten Bronze" and "Smoked Silver" for testing purposes. The colors are far outside my lips' comfort zone, so I was excited to try something new.

The tube is not something I'd want displayed front and center, but it's not tacky either. The contour of the lipstick itself is well designed and makes for uncomplicated application. I also found both colors I received to be rather fascinating, impressive tones. However, my positive experience ends about there. Though the lipstick applies smoothly, with a creamy, rich texture, it has the issue of collecting in certain places, effecting patches of pigment while the rest of the lip sits nearly bald. No matter how many swipes over the lip I gave it, I could not get it to either mask my lip or work with its natural pink. I even used an applicator from a different lip product to attempt to help spread coverage, but to no avail. Perhaps a lip primer or concealer would elicit a different result, but as someone who likes to keep a simple makeup routine, that's not realistic for me personally.

Lately I am very into metallics (though this presents as more of a shimmery semi-matte type) so I was disappointed to not be able to put these exciting colors to use on my lips. However, since I do like them so much, I may just use them as eye tint!

Thank you to Influenster!
Tiffany B.
Lincoln
Review for: Serpentine, Copper Spark
I'll start by saying I love these. I'm very picky with makeup, to the point where it's taken me three years to find a replacement for this really awesome copper lipstick I got from a friend. BUT I FOUND IT!

Copper spark is everything I wanted it to be. It's true to the name, doesn't smell weird, goes on the lips smoothly, doesn't dry them out... It's perfect for fall makeup, and lasts a long time, especially since I'm always snacking, drinking something, or licking my lips. I actually will put on makeup just because I want to wear this color for the day.

The serpentine is a gorgeous green. I thought it would be fun to match my eyes, but it looks strange to have green lips. I will find a way to make it work though!

All in all, I would definitely recommend these. The price is amazing, especially when you look at how good of a product it is... almost feel like it's a steal! I am thinking about picking up more colors.. maybe the whole set.
Diana A.
Chandler , AZ
Review for: Molten Bronze, Smoked Silver
Maybelline Color Sensational® Matte Metallics Lipstick #MATTEMETALLICS by Maybelline gets only three stars from me. I have received two colors for #free from @Influenster to review. One is burgundy with gold reflection (970 - Molten Bronze ), beautiful on every skin tones. The second one is grey purple at first glance ( 978 - Smoked Silver ), not for everyone and not for every day. They are both colors that are perfect for the fall.
The package is not very sophisticated and the product has a pleasant smell. It goes on so smooth but you have to apply a few coats in order to get an even color . It also helps if you apply a lip liner all over the lips as a base . What I have noticed is that it looks crumbled on the center of the lips, especially if you apply a few layers. It is not too pleasant especially if you wear it during an event. It does not feel dry nor hydrating. It has a frost finish more than metallic. If you eat or drink it does come off and looks uneven, so you have to reapply it . I don't dislike it but I don't love it either. The only thing I like about it are the colors and that it glides on easier when I apply it. One more thing that Maybelline should consider when creating the package is adding a seal to it. It did not have one and it is not too hygienic when they sell it in the department stores since everyone can open them.
I wish I could give it more stars!
Katie M.
Austin, TX
Review for: Copper Rose, Serpentine, Gunmetal
The formula here has a nice, somewhat sweet smell. If you are sensitive to smells, this will not work well for you! The Serpentine and Gunmetal were both very opaque, but Copper Rose was streaky and did not apply well to the lips. It grabbed the product and pulled it i stead of layering like the other two did. As far as wear and longevity, these are not waterproof, smudgeproof, or anything proof. In fact, I recommend not touching your lips together because it will fade and vanish, leaving a most unfortunate "liner" ring around your lips. All in all, I am not a fan, but the green is a most unusual and pretty shade.
Valentina B.
How is the pigmentation?
Linda M.
San bernardino
Beauty Junkie Expert
What are your thoughts on these metallics from maybelline ?
marisela m.
Oklahoma City, OK
Beauty Junkie Expert
Would you recommend this color has anybody tried it
Shi-Leka B.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Maybelline Color Sensational® Matte Metallics Lipstick do y’all loves these colors as much as I do?
K'Lynn M.
Arlington, TX
Beauty Junkie Expert
How do these compare to other metallic lipsticks?