BY MAYBELLINE #68 in Lipstick

Mattes go metallic. Sophisticated brushed metal texture in lavish metallic hues for your most sensationally gilt-y lip look.

• What are your thoughts on these metallics from maybelline ?6 Answers
  • Would you recommend this color has anybody tried it6 Answers
  • How is the pigmentation?7 Answers
Reviews (1978)
Lish N.
Lish N.
Eastpointe, MI
Review for: Molten Bronze, Smoked Silver
Conceptually, they are beautiful and have some real potential. The colors are quite unique.

I got the colors Molten Bronze and Smoked Silver. Molten Bronze is very unique in that it is a purply bronze base with a green gold micro Shimmer. Super unique! Smoked Silver, on the other hand, looks purple in the bullet with a silver micro shimmer but does indeed apply on the lips like a "smoky silver" so it is aptly named. It's basically a smokey eye but for your lips, if that makes any sense. They are both gorgeously Moody and perfect for fall.

They do indeed have a matte finish, but they are not drying. In fact, they are actually quite hydrating, especially for a matte lipstick. They have an ever-so-slight metallic Shimmer. So they are definitely matte metallic. True to advertising there.

Now for the cons. When I swatched these on my hands and bare lips, they were patchy. The micro glitter would clump together leaving patches of skin still visible through the pigment as well as an uneven distribution of metallic finish. Coverage can be built up to an adequate opacity, but it takes some work and a concealer base (yes I prepped my lips properly).

This isn't really like their color Sensational formulas in the past. I swatched several of my other color Sensational lipsticks of varying finishes just to be sure that I wasn't being too hard on these. All of the others, except for one swatched a lot smoother than these. So I think the matte metallic formula still needs a little bit of work.

But like I said, they have a lot of potential! They are very comfortable on the lips, like all color Sensational lipsticks are. They are neither to dry nor too slippery. They are long lasting and wear down gracefully. No funny tastes or smells. The color options are absolutely gorgeous! I feel like there's something for everybody in terms of Shade range. The only thing I'd say is just to fix the patchiness and hopefully go cruelty free! And these would be gosh D cool!

My favorite is definitely Smoked Silver, though, because it's so sultry and also a little less patchy. The biggest tip I can give with these is to wear concealer on your lips and avoiding rubbing your lips together until you have coated them both in product. Otherwise you'll create a patchy finish. Even if these weren't a COMPLETE win for me, I still want to thank Influenster for sending these to me for free to try. I was very excited and honored to receive my voxbox and it was a lot of fun to try these, especially since I don't know if these were colors that I would have picked myself!
Karlie R.
Karlie R.
Benton , AR
Review for: Molten Bronze, Smoked Silver
I’m reviewing colors “smoked silver” and “molten bronze”
PROS: these colors are GORGEOUS and unique. They really are metallic and matte at the same time. They dry down really well, and though not particularly long wearing (though they aren’t claiming to be) they stay on pretty well and dry down in place impressively and it doesn’t slide around like I thought it might. I’m used to liquid lipsticks and the doe foot application; but this was surprisingly quick and easy to apply! The little curved Indentation in the tip of the lipstick make lining your lips and getting a nice clean line pretty effortless. It feels comfortable on my mouth, and it’s not drying at all! It feels quite hydrating, which I love! Also, the packaging, though it doesn’t really stand out, it is classically attractive, and easy to put in a purse or pocket and take it with you on the go.
Cons:
There’s just not enough pigment! One swipe doesn’t even begin to do enough coverage; upon one or two swipes, it almost reminded me of a child’s toy/ slightly tinted play lipstick. You can build up the pigment a little more, but you have to swipe and swipe and swipe and it’s quite a bit of trouble to apply and really work the pigment up. Then, it’s very patchy and clumps up around the inner portion of your lips. The pigment hardly stuck to the innermost, wettest part of my lips no matter how much I tried to dry that part off before applying; my natural lip color ended up showing through.
OVERALL THOUGHTS: this product is just ok. It has a lot of potential, but the formula certainly isn’t perfect. For the price point, it’s a decent deal. I can see myself wearing this for a picture/Instagram post because the colors are stunning and aesthetically pleasing and the metallic trend is very “in” right now! I’m not sure if it was intended and marketed to be just a light, delicate wash of metallic lip color, or if it was intended to be a bold metallic strong lip look, but it is certainly not pigmented enough for the latter claim. imagine a very strong pigmented formula may be difficult to achieve with a metallic finish, but to conclude this review, I will suggest you try one or two shades out because what does not work for me could work amazingly for someone else! I recommend using a lip primer or concealer base before applying this lipstick to help the pigment pop and to camouflage your natural lip color. *I received these two shades complimentary from influenster for testing and my honest review. THANK YOU, influenster!*
Brittany O.
Brittany O.
Tavares, FL
Review for: Smoked Silver
This review is for the Maybelline New York Color Sensational Metallic Matte lipstick in Smoked Silver.
The component is a lightweight plastic with no noteworthy characteristics. I love the color. It's a cool-toned purple which translates to a metallic heather grey-purple on my lips. The application was smooth and it didn't tug or pull on my lips like many matte lipsticks tend to do. However, it took FIVE coats to achieve semi-opacity. I believe this shade may work best as a topper. If you want to wear it alone, you'll definitely need a primer or liner underneath. You will need dry lips in order for the pigment to adhere -- and I mean DRY! You'll likely need to blot all excess moisture with a paper towel prior to application. I also wouldn't call this a true matte as it has more of a standard lipstick, satin finish. The formula feels very heavy and waxy, especially when built up. It wore well for about three to four hours before really needing a touch-up. I didn't find that it was particularly hydrating nor drying. Personally, I really don't like the heavy, tacky, greasy feeling and probably wouldn't repurchase. That's unfortunate because I really love the shade Serpentine (a beautiful metallic, reptile green). The Color Sensational Metallic Mattes retail for approximately $8 USD at most drugstore and retail chains in the US.
*I give my 100% honest opinion, never anything less.
***I received this product for free, compliments of Influenster and Maybelline, for testing purposes in the Maybelline New York VoxBox.
Lisa L.
Lisa L.
Morehead, KY
Review for: Molten Bronze, Smoked Silver
I am new to this so please bear with me (this is my 1st ever voxbox) but that being said, i am extremely happy with my new products as well as very (very) pleased with the quick shipment and delivery once approved!!! that was such a welcome surprise today in my mailbox! :) I must say that I am partial to the molten bronze shade! it was nice looking in the tube but when i put it on it was just absolutely gorgeous with my brown hair and eye palette. I don't have any pictures yet but perhaps I will post some soon with this on. very pretty. looks way better ON than you would expect just "looking at it" in the store etc. ok. so the other shade i received was the smokey silver. it totally appears purple and i agree 100% with whoever stated something about it looking like an eye shade but for your lips!?! i was like omg, i was JUST thinking that with my first application! in fact, i would go so far as to say it is also a cute beauty hack if you wanted to use it for both ;) I know i have in the past... just swipe a thin layer on the lid and pop! there ya go! ;) beautiful color and true to it's name. definitely a #mattemetallic. Also on another note dealing with this company I recently realized something totally weird as well. ***in all the hundreds of products i use and have used over the years when i got to examining them all i saw that although i use several types on different occasions; every single product I use daily (makeup) is actually maybelline!!! well. so i guess this WAS in fact the right campaign for me! <3 <3 <3 these #mattemetallics  lipsticks are the perfect addition to my maybelline collection. very happy to have been chosen and will look for more awesome products in the future! thanks #Influenster. . . i will be using these a LOT this upcoming holiday season! :)
*I received this complimentary product from Influenster & Maybelline for my own testing purposes and review. This review is courtesy of Influenster's Maybelline Metallics New York Vox Box. All opinions are 100% my own honest review. thank you.

Elizabeth C.
Elizabeth C.
Louisville, KY
Review for: Molten Bronze, Smoked Silver
I absolutely did not think I would like these or would even be able to wear them or incorporate them into real life even if I did. I mean metallics? That's for teenagers am I wrong? Think of the boldest metallic lip you can and would you wear that at the office? I hope not.
But that's not at all what this is. I was totally surprised when I put them on. The formula was amazing. It was soft and moist going on and even when it dried down completely it felt as if it wasn't even there. That's how comfortable it was. Like a second skin. Both of them. So great.
So I tried on the Smoked Silver as well and I definitely thought this would never look good on a really pale/ light skinned girl like me and that it could only look good on dark skinned women. Boy, was I wrong! It was smokey and purple and silver and gray and dark and neutral all at the same time. The depth of this color can't be captured by pictures at all but it's amazing and so deep and pretty.
Both of these colors are great for this fall and winter season. They came out at the perfect time. They are subdued enough that they can be worn daily and even during the day at the office to at home with the kids. Then it can be dressed up for a holiday party or a girls night out or a date night with the love of your life.
The best part about these? Any woman or girl of any age can pull these off and not look too desperate or too old for their age. They are fun but pretty and subdued. They really shocked me in the most amazing way and I'm ecstatic. I couldn't be more grateful to Maybelline for coming out with this unique collection.
Metallics needed to be done this way in an affordable everyday collection for all skin colors and leave it to Maybelline to do that perfectly.
They do look a little patchy at times but a little blending by pressing your lips together fixes that. They do fade but they fade nicely in a mostly uniform way. The lipstick bullet shape fits the curve of the top and bottom lip perfectly which I love. No effort for application at all. Stays on for at least 6 hours before even a touch up is needed.
I totally recommend. And they are so affordable you can buy a few.
I received these complimentary for testing purposes but was not paid for my reviews or told what to say at all. All opinions are completely my own.
Danielle K.
Danielle K.
Brooklyn, NY
Review for: Molten Bronze, Smoked Silver
First thought? Call me weird but I most definitely have a thing for packaging! Loved the appearance of the tube. Has a dark mysterious vampire-esque vibe to it. When you think of matte you think dark and mysterious. So the packaging definitely fits the brand and the name. When I went to open the tube I fell in love with the color and the sparkles! It just automatically makes you say "ooooh!" out loud (or maybe that's just me haha). I loved the shimmery dazzling color effects. I also liked the smell! It didn't have a cheap play doh smell to it like a lot of lipsticks. It actually has a nice cocoa Shea butter like smell to it which made me realize not only is it gonna look pretty,its also most likely going to be moisturizing. Oh Maybelline how you never let me down!

So at first glance I thought it would be a little too much for everyday use but I was pleasantly surprised. The first shade I tried was Smoked Silver. At first glance it looks purple but when you put it on it looks like a darkened silver color. Hence smoked silver haha . I didn't really like this color on me. It was a little too opaque for me. Too frosty. But I think it would look good on a more fairer complexion. Second shade I tried was Molten Bronze. This color to me was definitely something I would wear on a regular basis. It was a nice coffee cocoa brown shade that seemed to blend into my skin really well. It was cute and subtle but still made a statement. Definitely great for fall. I loved how smoothly the lipstick just glided on. Very effortless. However, I didn't like the fact that you have to keep reapplying to get the effect that you want. It was a bit too sheer. I literally had to put on like three coats of lipstick to see some action lol. To see some color.It made your lips super moist but didn't turn out matte.least not for me.

Overall: great packaging, great smell great fall colors just wish they were a little more pigmented. But I haven't tried every color so I might find more that I will fall in love with or identify better with. I would definitely try more out though! I'm absolutely excited and so happy that I got my first voxbox! I received these products complimentary from Influenster for testing purposes.
Ashley C.
Ashley C.
Corona, CA
Review for: Copper Rose
This review is based off the Maybelline Color Sensational Matte Metallics lipstick in the color Copper Rose.

First things first, look at my pictures below to checkout the gorgeous color of this lipstick! I'm a huge fan of the dark purple vampy lip, so this is clearly right up my alley. Color payoff is great once you build it up. I did have to do about 2-3 layers to get full coverage. So be patient with the product.

As for the finish- this product lives up to its name of metallic. It has a shimmery and glittery finish without feeling chunky or grainy. I do like the metallic aspect. As for the claim of being matte, its the furthest thing from that! the lipstick is ultra creamy and definitely has a satin finish. With that being said- this lipstick will transfer while eating or drinking. Definitely not kiss proof!

All in all it is a good product, you will also need a lip liner to help define the edges! I used MAC lip liner in plum and it was a great match!

*I received this complimentary product from Influenster & Maybelline for my own testing purposes and review. This review is courtesy of Influenster's Maybelline New York Vox Box. All opinions are 100% my own honest review.
Ariana H.
Ariana H.
Review for: Molten Bronze, Smoked Silver
Ok so I have to give my honest review. First, you won't see any selfies of me wearing these colors because they look absolutely AWFUL on me. OMG. washed me right out. 🤢🤢🤢 So the first three pictures are the Molten Bronze. You can't tell in thepictures, but there's a lot of green in this color, I guess to achieve the metallic look. On my lips they felt soft enough but the coverage was not full. It just was not good. I looked green with this color on. And I was in public wearing this color! 🤢🤢🤢 The last three pictures are the Smoked Silver. It's more like a light metallic purple. I think this looks even WORSE on me! I look GRAY. GRAY! 💀💀💀 JUST AWFUL.
also, these are just regular ole school lip sticks, no long wear formula here.
I don't know. Maybe these would be cool with tons of eye makeup and full coverage foundation to make me look alive? or maybe if I want to play a witch or zombie for Halloween? I don't know. But these colors are NOT for pale ladies like myself.
So, sorry @maybelline but this was a massive fail. Even though i got these for free for testing from @influenster, i wish i could return them lol. Awful. Awful. Awful.
Gabriell L.
Gabriell L.
Staten Island, NY
Beauty Junkie Expert
First I'll say that the packaging is really cool. Although, one of my lipsticks arrived chipped when I opened it for the first time. That was weird (Shown in photo attached). The lipsticks I received were smoked silver and molten bronze. Smoked silver has a purple tint to it.

These lipsticks were very creamy, not drying like mattes usually are. It almost felt like putting on a lip crayon. I really just liked the hydrating feeling of them because I have a hard time with drying lipsticks. The one thing I wasn't thrilled about was the patchiness. I had to apply a lot to try to cover my lips. If you press your lips together, the lipstick moves a lot.

I really thought the colors were unique. I think molten bronze looked way less patchy on me than the smoked silver. It's also a color I can see myself wearing more often. I wasn't sure how I looked with smoked silver on. I would like to try smoked silver with another lipstick on under them and see how it comes out then.

Thank you, Influenster! I'm going to have fun with these!

I received these products for free to review them. These opinions are my own.
Lexi T.
Lexi T.
Review for: Copper Rose
I am so excited to get my hands on this new lipcolor! I love a fresh lipstick that has a new top to easily apply to the Cupid's bow of the upper lip. I received Maybelline Color Sensational® Matte Metallics Lipstick complimentary from Influenster for testing purposes. I tried #966CopperRose and I initially thought it was a deep plum shade. It's a cross between “vamp” and “steampunk” which I find totally awesome! Depending on the lighting, you can see the copper-almost-glitter tones. I love the multi-dimensional metallic finish without a glossy look. Originally I thought I might need a lip balm underneath, but as I'm wearing it, my lips feel softer. 4/5 stars because it doesn't pass the drinking glass test but after blotting my lips, it passes the kiss test. Will need to reapply for all day pigment.
Valentina B.
Valentina B.
How is the pigmentation?
marisela m.
marisela m.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Would you recommend this color has anybody tried it
Linda M.
Linda M.
San bernardino
Beauty Junkie Expert
What are your thoughts on these metallics from maybelline ?
K'Lynn M.
K'Lynn M.
Arlington, TX
Beauty Junkie Expert
How do these compare to other metallic lipsticks?
Shi-Leka B.
Shi-Leka B.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Maybelline Color Sensational® Matte Metallics Lipstick do y’all loves these colors as much as I do?