BY MARPAC #66 in Spa Accessories

The Original Sound Conditioner, formerly known as the Sleepmate/Sound Screen 980A. A white noise sleep sound machine. DS=dual speed. The Dohm-DS by Marpac effectively masks unwanted noises and creates a sense of calm, making it easier to concentrate, relax, or get some serious sleep. This white noise generator is recommended for restless sleepers, shift workers, infants, children, students, apartment dwellers, and many others. The Original Sound Conditioner first introduced in 1962; now in its 4th generation design. The Dohm-DS features two speeds, for greater flexibility in tone and volume. Creates the soothing sound of rushing air, known as "white noise"-  with two speed operation for a greater range of sound. Provides excellent nois. see more...

Buy on Target
Sarah L.
Dayton, OH
I typically sleep with the fan on full blast but I find that to irritate me in the long term. My boss gave me this as a gift and it's amazing! Initially when I turned this on it seemed too loud and I wasn't fond of the noise - soon I found myself drifting off into a pretty hard sleep. Definitely worth the investment! I love it more than the fan!
Elizabeth K.
Simpsonville, SC
When you live in an apartment complex directly in front of the air conditioning unit you about loose your mind when you try to sleep, every. single. night.

I tried EVERYTHING, sound proof foam in front my windows, playing music when I slept, and playing ridiculous sounds on my phone before sleeping to try and drown out the noise.

When I stumbled upon this little life saving gadget in Bed Bath & Beyond I just HAD to try it, and let me tell you it's saved my life.

I sleep better, longer, and wake up a lot happier. I even bring it with me when I travel, it's that good. I highly recommend this to anyone that has difficulty sleeping because of noise.

Ashley c.
Raleigh, NC
I've had trouble sleeping because of background noise for years. I finally bought this because I live in a duplex and my neighbors are loud and erratic in behavior, arguing and moving furniture around at 3:00 am. I was afraid to even try to sleep at home after several days with little sleep and my roommate made me buy this because I was ready to move out.

This product is great. It makes a very fan-like sound, but with no mechanical or cycling sounds, or rattling. This is just a constant whoosh. It has two speeds and you can change the sound of the whoosh by changing the postition of the vent holes on the device. It has a switch right on the side of it, not on the cord so it's easy to use. It's even padded on the bottom to make sure it doesn't vibrate.

I used the low setting last night and slept through the night for the first time in the month since the crazy animals downstairs moved in.

I've been relying on ceiling fans and box fans for background noise for years, this is much better. It's a fuller sound, it covers more, and it doesn't make me cold.

As many others have said in previous reviews, this is unlike those pre-recorded white noise sounds. This cannot repeat, because it's actually making the sound as you hear it.

I travel for a living and stay in a lot of hotels. I look forward to taking this thing with me and blocking out the sounds of neighbor's TV's and talking and vehicles, etc. . . It's very small and lightweight, and seems durable.

I don't know why I didn't buy this sooner. Shooting my neighbors is the only thing that would help me sleep better, but this is legal so perhaps a better choice.
Rebecca W.
Buffalo, NY
I used to sleep with a box fan every night, even when it was freezing just so I can sleep with some white noise. According to my sleep tracker on my phone, I have been sleeping longer and deeper since I got this white noise maker. I don't wake up to the city sirens and or storms outside anymore.
Julie G.
Atlanta, GA
My husband and I found out about this soundmaker from our friend with twins. They used it in the hospital to cut the outside noise while she was on bed rest. We quickly realized if it worked in a busy hospital, it would certainly work better than our box fan in the corner of our room with its sole purpose being to create white noise. The dohm is AWESOME, so awesome I almost gave up coveted carry-on space to bring it on vacation with me. We use it every night. Two settings (regular/high) and then you can twist the shell right/left to find the right white noise for you. Simple, yet fantastic. It's quickly becoming a go-to gift for family and friends who complain they can't sleep!
Rebekah L.
We love our Dohm!! My husband bought one after we got married (he struggled sleeping with another person in a bed) now we can't sleep without it. We bring it everywhere we go when we travel. Also, the company is amazing. The fuse blew (when we took it to France) and my husband planned to replace it. He contacted the company to purchase a new fuse and instead, they replaced the whole sound machine! We could never use another machine.
Christine M.
This machine is pricey but so worth it! My house echoes badly and our bedroom shares a wall with my daughters. With this machine we can watch TV in our room, vacuum the house and even entertain guests without disrupting nap and bedtime! It's also adjustable with 4 levels so while we normally leave it in the lowest setting, we can crank it up if it will be an especially noisy group at the house.
Kate C.
Working in a massage practice I find these necessary when you have multiple sessions going on. Unfortunately not every session is quiet, as some therapists need to communicate often with their clients (I.e. deep tissue treatments) this is great to help drown out background noise. With that said I wish it had a few more levels of sound. I find I have to put a towel on it soon can hear the music playing during a treatment
lori s.
Sparta, TN
Anyone that has to have a box fan to sleep really needs to try this! i had slept with a fan for years for the noise and would freeze in the winter! i got this online from walmart and was the best thing i have done! it makes more noise then the fan or u can change it to make softer sound. great to packing and taking for over night.
Caitlyn B.
Maitland, FL
This product is awesome if you need some sort of white noise to sleep. You can change the sounds in several different ways to whatever sounds best to you, and there's also a switch to make the volume either quieter or louder based on your unique preference. It's also small enough to stick in a suitcase for travel without it taking up too much space.