Marc Jacobs Beauty
Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara

BY MARC JACOBS BEAUTY #3 in Mascara

Instant volume, epic lashes.

What it is: This majorly volumizing mascara delivers instant volume for your most epic lashes yet.

Experience 1800% more volume and the look of false lashes with Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara. The lash-maximizing, curvy brush places the most volume at the hard-to-reach center lash line, and the defining tip styles lashes for major drama. The ultra-concentrated black pigment delivers the greatest visual impact, and the flash volume complextm creates instant, smudge-free length and volume in three strokes or less. Velvet Noir gives you the thickest lashes in a blink.

What else you need to know:

Inspired by Marc Jacobs’s first beauty memory of his mother carefully shaving fibers from a velvet ribbon to create her own couture faux lashes, Velvet Noir reinvents this epic look.

• Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara I don...3 Answers
  • Who else received the Marc Jacobs Beauty VoxBox? I fell i...6 Answers
  • Is this worth buying?6 Answers
Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
Buy on Sephora*
  • "I been trying out MANY high end and low end mascaras to see which one I love and gives me volume etc and this one is by far the BEST mascara EVER!! Its beautiful and gives me a falsie look very good definitely my favorite now holy frail mascara." in 783 reviews
  • "My new favorite. It lengthens my lashes and defines every single one. I swear it makes me feel like Audrey Hepburn! Plus, it doesn't smear and it lasts all day. I wouldn't really call this a volumizing mascara per se (It won't give you the my-eyelashes-are-a-curtain look), but it provides the right amount of volume for me. Velvet Noir gives more of a polished, sophisticated look. " in 92 reviews
  • "Great product. Made my lashes thicker and longer without making them clumpy! " in 70 reviews
  • "One of my fav designer mascaras.. Long lasting, doesn't clump, and the tip is perfect for the inner lashes " in 65 reviews
Samantha L.
Provo, UT
Initially I found the mascara to apply a bit clumpy, but there was excess product on the brush which I believe is the reason why. The mascara glides on beautifully and is easily buildable for those who like a striking lash look. The description for the mascara states it will add volume and curve to the eyelashes. I found that it gave my lashes curve and gave them the appearance of being super long, but my lashes didn't separate, they clumped together. They didn't appear any fuller than they would with my usual go to mascara (celebrity volume). The pigment is amazing however; with mascara I find it is important that it is jet black, as my lashes are naturally blonde in color. This mascara is probably the darkest pigment I have tried thus far. The formula doesn't feel heavy or gloopy, which I find a massive positive as I can't stand feeling my mascara weighing my lashes down! I did find that after a couple of hours the mascara would smudge on my brow bone and my lower lash line, giving me the appearance of dark circles. It is definitely not water proof, I know this because I cry easily and shed a couple of tears and the mascara left some trail marks. But velvet noir mascara hasn't claimed to be waterproof, so that isn't exactly a con. Just annoying. I would recommend this mascara for normal routine every day life, but not for special occasions like going out to a party or for dinner, due to how easy it smudges on the skin after a couple of hours of being applied. However I've read other reviews who have said they've had no smudging so it could be down to the individuals skin.
Kim M.
I got a mini version of this mascara in my Sephora Play a few months ago and I have been a bit disappointed since I love a lot of the Marc Jacobs line. My lashes are medium length but very straight so they aren't very noticeable even with most mascaras. I want my mascara to hold a curl more than anything, but aside from that I usually go more for a lengthening or defining mascara since volume doesn't really matter when you can't see your lashes. I came in knowing that I probably wouldn't like but I was still a little sad I didn't. It seemed to really be a better version of Too Faced's Better Than Sex mascara, it had more or less the same effect on but it didn't flake or smudge at all - BTS is the only mascara that has ever given me panda eyes. I was also very let down that the mascara is fragranced. I know most luxury brands fragrance everything but I wish they didn't. I had an issue the first few times I applied this because my eyes were bothered by the fragrance and I instinctively closed my eyes which got globs of product under my eyes and on my lids. Once it dried down it was fine, but I feel like it is unnecessary and potentially harmful to put perfume in eye products. I intentionally only wore this about once a week when I was trying it out because I didn't want to end up with swollen eyes or contact dermatitis because that has happened to me in the past. I was going to give this review 3/5 stars because it just isn't the type of mascara that works for me but I'm sure others who want volume would enjoy it, but I had to deduct another star for the strong fragrance.
Jennifer A.
Minneapolis, MN
This is my favorite mascara of 2017. Before that I was loving Lancôme Hypnôse Star (which I believe they've discontinued). I wear glasses, so I'm not usually looking for length because that usually leads to smudged lenses. And I am often rushing in the morning so I don't want a mascara that I need to layer up in the morning.

Velvet Noir gives me that major volume in 1 coat. Additional must haves: no crunchiness and no smudging. It also gives me a bit of lift without needing to use an eyelash curler - something my eyes have gotten more sensitive to lately. It has a traditional nylon brush, which I tend to prefer over the silicon bristles which I find poke-y. I have layered this for nights' out, and you do have to be a bit careful not to get heavy-handed, but I don't find it card to brush out with a steel mascara comb.

I also like a formula that isn't TOO wet - and I'm not not a fan of having to wait a couple weeks for a mascara to dry up to the consistency I want it to be. I really liked the formula of Marc Jacobs O!Mega Lash, but I never bought it because the samples dried up on me fairly quickly. (And I like a drier formula.) Velvet Noir arrives at the right consistency for me but doesn't dry up.

I thought that the hourglass wand would make it difficult getting into the inner corners, but it doesn't, and it really helps me brush out the very ends of my lashes. I also like that Marc Jacobs doesn't scent his mascaras unlike Lancôme.

And, this is easy to remove at night. Wins all around! Love!
Esme M.
Woodbridge, VA
Generalmente no tengo mucha suerte encontrando mascaras buenas, pero con esta no me puedo quejar en lo absoluto . Relamente me encanta como trabaja este producto, no necesitas rizar tus pestanas, por que la formula de este producto las riza mientras aplicas el producto. Tambien se aplica muy bien , no te queda ese look de que las pestanas se quedan pegadas o con grumos. Al final del dia, no pude ningun producto caido debajo mis ojos , como usulamente otros productos lo hacen , asi que realmente me encanto este producto . ////// Usually do not have much luck finding good mascaras, but with this one I can not complain at all. I love how this product works, you do not need to curl your eyelashes, because the formula of this product curls them while you apply the product. It also applies very well, you do not have that look when the eyelashes are sticky or lumpsy. At the end of the day, I did not see any product under my eyes like flakes , as other products do, so I really loved this product.
Annette P.
Greenacres, FL
This mascara comes out with too much product in the wand, and clumps lashes together (just a little). I still give it 5 stars because: the color of this black is ultra black, it adds sooo much plump and volume, AND it makes lashes look noticeably thicker. Those are the 3 things I think most people look for in mascaras. I always use more than one wand to separate lashes, well because no mascara yet is perfect. I apply this with just 2 layers, and separate with my wand from either MUFE extravagant mascara or MAC 3D lashes wand. The end result is 5 star worthy, but yes it’s a team effort. My lashes look fake when using Marc jacobs! The plus is that the product is wet enough to separate very easy compared to other mascaras, it’s sooo quick it only takes 2 secs and doesn’t add any time to my makeup routine. Then it dries quick after that, and dries to the way they were separated.

Highly recommend if you want a false lash look!
Also it lasts all day, even in the humid heat, and it’s easily to take off, and no need to use more than 2 layers for effect!
Olivia M.
Minden, LA
I got a deluxe sample of this and was super excited to try it because I love the Marc Jacobs beauty line.  Unfortunately, this didn't live up to my expectations.  Cons: The shape of the wand gathered too much mascara and made my lashes clump together.  I could separate them with a brush after applying, but that's just too much work for me when I'm in a hurry to get ready. Also, the mascara had a very strong chemical smell.  I could actually smell it all day!
Pros: If you can get this mascara to work for your lashes, I think you would like this because it is a very black mascara, doesn't smudge, and is easy to take off at the end of the day.
Conclusion: I wouldn't purchase because there's so many other great mascaras. Overall, it's not a bad product, but just didn't work for my lashes.
Sarah W.
I received a sample of the Velvet Noir Mascara by Marc Jacobs from Influenster for testing, and I can honestly say I am impressed. The black colour is beautifully pigmented and gives me dark, luscious lashes. I have been using the mascara for the last week and putting it through all the tests--exercise, rain, all-day wear. It has survived everything.

That being said, I don't wear mascara on my bottom lashes, so I don't know if it smudges on the bottom, however I have had no smudging from the top lashes.

My only critique is that it doesn't layer super well. Rather than doing a couple coats of mascara, it is better to swipe on a lot in one coat. Otherwise it gets a touch clumpy. However, that is easy to to deal with.

I will definitely look to purchasing this product for myself when the sample runs out! Good job Marc Jacobs... I definitely recommend!

UPDATE BELOW:

So as mentioned above, I received this product as part of a VirtualVox Collab with John Lewis. The more I use this mascara, the less I like it. I have found that after the first few uses, the formula has gone extremely clumpy. And, I find the wand to not really help in smoothing through these clumps. I think there are definitely better mascaras at a more reasonable price. This makes me sad since I really did like it when it was brand, brand new, but after a few uses it got clumpy so quick. :(
Kimberlee R.
San Clemente , CA
I received a deluxe trial size from sephora along with an eyeliner last year for my birthday. I gave a review already on the eyeliner. As a gift i just received a full size. The mascara i did not care for so much. I didn't like the brush and i just felt like it was too goopy and i just couldn't get it to apply the way i like. Not to say that this wouldn't work for others, it's just not for me. I know many people love this mascara but for the price tag it needs to wow me. Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
Kristina J.
Atlanta, GA
This is without a double the best mascara I have tried in SUCH a long time. It is a nice in between formula of wet and dry, but is SO so buildable. My mom, my boyfriend, my co workers all immediately noticed how long but also voluminous my lashes were. I also have super oily eyelids and this has not been an issue. Also this color is jet back which is so stunning. I know this mascara isn't cheap but it is SO worth it. I am on my second tube and have recommended it to everyone. Can't say enough great things!
Rory K.
I received a sample of this mascara in my Sephora Play! box and I wish I could give it a 4.5 star review. I had a tough time deciding between 4 or 5 stars.

My eyelashes are fairly long, but can be sparse at times and on my left side, I have a weird spot where a small chunk of my eyelashes are shorter and it's always a struggle to make it look even and similar to the right side. This mascara does the trick fairly easily! The only reason I docked a star was because I'm not a huge fan of the brush. It's a bit sloppy and the first few applications I did had extra globs of mascara. Some of this, of course, is due to me not using brushes quite like this one. After the first few applications, however, I no longer have the globs of mascara sticking to the brush and I can apply it very easily and quickly to get a full, well volumized look which is everything I look for in a mascara! It also lasts longer and doesn't flake off under my eye during the day like I notice from some of my other mascaras.
Katellyn L.
I've seen a lot of hype on this, what does everyone think of it? How is the staying power? Any problems with flaking or smudging?
Marcela G.
Oceanside , CA
Is this mascara easy to remove?
Candice W.
Does this clump?
Kaitlynn R.
Clover, SC
I have been searching for a new mascara recently and have a hard time deciding. I was wondering if this is a good choice to go with. Does it give lots of length and volume? Does it transfer onto the under eye area?
Nikita S.
St Louis Park, MN
Is this out on the market? If it is, where can I get it?