Marc Jacobs Beauty
Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara

BY MARC JACOBS BEAUTY #41 in Mascara

Instant volume, epic lashes.

What it is: This majorly volumizing mascara delivers instant volume for your most epic lashes yet.

Experience 1800% more volume and the look of false lashes with Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara. The lash-maximizing, curvy brush places the most volume at the hard-to-reach center lash line, and the defining tip styles lashes for major drama. The ultra-concentrated black pigment delivers the greatest visual impact, and the flash volume complextm creates instant, smudge-free length and volume in three strokes or less. Velvet Noir gives you the thickest lashes in a blink.

What else you need to know:

Inspired by Marc Jacobs’s first beauty memory of his mother carefully shaving fibers from a velvet ribbon to create her own couture faux lashes, Velvet Noir reinvents this epic look.

• Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara I don't know ab...2 Answers
  • If you would like to become a brand ambassador for Marc Jacobs and ...3 Answers
  • How can i get this mascara ?2 Answers
Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
Buy on Sephora
Samantha M.
Samantha M.
Beauty Junkie Expert
**Bought this product on my own**

Just wanted to clarify because I know many were sent this mascara by Influenster.

EDITED REVIEW:

My previous 5 star review is below this but after multiple terrible experiences with this mascara, I no longer think of this mascara the same way.

I'm not sure what is in this stuff but my eyes are sensitive to light. If it's bright outside or if I'm driving toward the sun and it's shining in my eyes, my eyes tend to water A LOT. Most people's do when the sun is shining in their eyes, but mine will water even if it's just super bright outside.

Anyway, I'm not sure why, but when my eyes water even the slightest and I'm wearing this mascara it BURNS. So bad that I had to shut that eye completely WHILE I was driving. I couldn't pull over (LA traffic) so I shut my eye and then kept it open for as long as I could without blinking and that seemed to help. And then it would happen to my OTHER eye...that was a bad day for me to say the least. I had never been to LA, just moved to Cali and my husband and I were picking up a vehicle we had shipped. First time driving in LA traffic and my eyes start going crazy! I have never had that problem before with other mascaras. My eyes have watered and there wasn't pain at all. But this...I have no idea what's in it, but it HURTS. And I had no other makeup on my eyes those days and it happened multiple times (the other times I wasn't driving, luckily) so I know the mascara is the cause.

It's super black, it makes my lashes look fabulous, but IT. BURNS. If my eyes even start to water a little bit, I'm done for.

I'm not sure if others have had this problem, maybe I just got a bad tube..

The review:
Love. Love. Love.

Can't get enough of this!! My lashes are medium to long length and most of the time I can get my lashes looking long, but they NEVER hold a curl. With this stuff, they finally do!! The consistency is perfect. It's never clumpy. The brush/applicator is PERFECT because I love "chubbier" brushes. (Less of a chance I'll stab myself in the eye.)

It's so black and buildable. Clumps but it's a good clump. (That makes sense, right?) If you like thick looking lashes and want something dramatic without falsies, I highly recommend this mascara.

If you're not into "clumpy" and want a more natural look I'd just apply one coat and be done with it.
Kelly D.
Kelly D.
Here's my thoughts on how the new @marcbeauty #velvetnoir major volume mascara held up through wear.
The initial application is great of this mascara - i thought with one coat it separated my lashes and build great volume and a bit of length. After the second coat i did need to comb through my lashes but i thought it didn’t clump my lashes together, which i find happens often when i try to comb through my lashes. It builds so much volume that i much prefer one coat when wearing minimal eye makeup.
i know that not everyone has this problem but i wanted to mention it anyways. i did get mascara on the initial application onto my eyelid that i especially noticed with minimal eye makeup, but i tend to have that problem with just about any mascara that i apply. nothing a little bioderma and cotton swabs can’t fit!
During the day i started to notice that it started to flake - although this isn’t ideal it isn’t a total deal breaker for me if i find that i can wipe the flakes off easily with my finger, a tissue, etc. However the longer i wore this the more smudging under the lower lash line i began to experience.
I am going to try to see how this layers with different mascaras, especially a waterproof mascara as a “top coat” because i thought this gave such incredible volume. For me, I won’t be able to use this as a single mascara because of the flaking and smudging i experienced, but as someone who tends to layer mascaras anyway I am excited to play around with this some more with other mascaras.
Kim D.
Kim D.
Spokane Vly, WA
I received a sample of this a few months ago and didn't bother to try it since I had found a mascara I loved already. A few weeks later I came across it, tried it once and said meh. A few days later I tried it again and again and again. I realized I had been using this every day. Do I get racoon eyes, of course I do. Not as bad as some mascara's but I have yet to find one that doesn't. This gives me so much length and volume that I even look at my lashes and say wow! The wand looks like it would pick up too much product, but except for wiping off the tip, I have used it straight from the tube. I haven't experienced any sensitivities or fallout. I do use an oil remover to get it off, it has staying power. No clumps, I have a metal lash separator and haven't had to use it. I wear this every day and I bought the full size. The tube is a little big and clunky but it applies very easily. I haven't poked myself in the eye with the wand and it does what it's supoosed to. I try a lot of products, but when I buy something after trying it...it's worth it.
Dallas W.
Dallas W.
Arlington , Tx
This is a nice mascara. Deep black and somewhat a 'wet' formula but not so wet that it straightens out your curled lashes. Flakes? I dont get ANY flakes! Make sure if you use setting spray that you spray your face BEFORE you apply mascara. I noticed one time I sprayed setting spray on my face after applying the mascara. Later in the day i could see my mascara wasn't fresh looking and my eyeliner was smearing. Maybe that is why some people are getting flakes??? Not sure, but when i use it, it looks fresh for HOURS! I use about 4 coats from roots to tips concentrating on wiggling the brush to the tips and adding the last coat on the tips to make my lashes appear fuller. I wiggle and roll the wand as i apply. This Marc Jacob mascara builds up faster in my opinion and stays looking a dark black color all day!! #TopPick
Kathrim A.
Kathrim A.
The mascara brush is different because it is bulkier at the ends but shorter in the center, making the tabs located in the center remain more curved. The downside here is that out much product and is as creamy, then the eyelashes are heavy and that makes weight down. Probe removing excess but still had to remove the excess with a clean brush.It notes that a mask is not waterproof, however the end of the day I notice that is still intact, not me has blurred the product for the lower eyelid, (obviously not rub the eye). At the end of the day, touch the tabs and the product came out as a paste or wax to remove it with your fingers, it might be the amount of product, but it was something I did not like. But overall duration is 8 hours intact.
stacey s.
stacey s.
Long Beach, CA
Beauty Junkie Expert
I received this in a vox box and was excited to test it out.

As a person who is NOT a fan of the clumpy anime look, this mascara makes me happy.
It separates enough, adds a bit of length, and then creates drama, with just one coat.
I haven't had a reason to add a second coat yet, but when I do, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

I can get sensitive around my eyes, and tear for various reasons.
This mascara didn't cause any issues, and when my local winds did, I was pleased to learn that I didn't have any embarrassing obvious tears as a result from this mascara.
It held up!
Which is amusing because when it comes time for removal, it removes quite easily.

This mascara is definitely in my top three now.
Len C.
Len C.
Frisco, TX
Beauty Junkie Expert
I had read reviews that claimed that this mascara smudged. I have oily skin, so I tried this thinking I wouldn't like it. I was saddened to see that the wand is almost identical to the BTS mascara, one of my favorites, in anticipation of disappointment. I was pleasantly surprised! This mascara really does create major volume but not to the point of clumping or making the lashes stumpy. In fact, this lengthens really nicely too! It doesn't smudge or flake, and it washes off easily. Perhaps it didn't smudge on me because I use a lot of powder under the eyes. This is definitely worth a try!
Rachel S.
Rachel S.
I am very picky about makeup, especially eye makeup. I have caviar taste with a spam wallet so it's very hard for me to find quality makeup for pennies. I was first introduced to the Marc jacob mascara when I received a free make over at Sephora. It made my lashes full and luscious with just a small amount applied, in fact my lashes rubbed the lense of my glasses. All day people asked me if I had false lashes. I had never spent more than $5 for mascara, but after just one application I would have spent anything for the mascara. When I found out it was only $20 I did my happy dance!!
Sai R.
Sai R.
This mascara has been going strong for 4 months now as my favorite. The brush gives amazing separation and volume without evwr getting clumpy or spidery. Truly gives the false lash effect without going overboard. I don't wear false lashes ever, so a high performing mascara is a must for me on days I get all dolled up. Yet to find anything like this at the drugstore. The only pitfall with this product is that it gets slightly flakey after 4 months, but I think that's about the life span of any mascara anyways...
Patricia W.
Patricia W.
My go to mascara! I think I have tried most of the brands sold at Sephora and while there were a few that were pretty good, this one is hands down amazing. My lashes seem to go on and on forever once I apply it. I found that you need to put back a lot of it back in the tube before putting the wand to your lashes or it could clump especially when it starts to get older. I have bought a few backups just in case they discontinue which always happens to me when I find something I love.
Katellyn L.
Katellyn L.
Beauty Junkie Expert
I've seen a lot of hype on this, what does everyone think of it? How is the staying power? Any problems with flaking or smudging?
Marcela G.
Marcela G.
Oceanside , CA
Is this mascara easy to remove?
Kaitlynn R.
Kaitlynn R.
Clover, SC
I have been searching for a new mascara recently and have a hard time deciding. I was wondering if this is a good choice to go with. Does it give lots of length and volume? Does it transfer onto the under eye area?
Candice W.
Candice W.
Does this clump?
Nikita S.
Nikita S.
Los Angeles, CA
Beauty Junkie Expert
Is this out on the market? If it is, where can I get it?