Marc Jacobs Beauty
Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara

BY MARC JACOBS BEAUTY #65 in Mascara

Instant volume, epic lashes.

What it is: This majorly volumizing mascara delivers instant volume for your most epic lashes yet.

Experience 1800% more volume and the look of false lashes with Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara. The lash-maximizing, curvy brush places the most volume at the hard-to-reach center lash line, and the defining tip styles lashes for major drama. The ultra-concentrated black pigment delivers the greatest visual impact, and the flash volume complextm creates instant, smudge-free length and volume in three strokes or less. Velvet Noir gives you the thickest lashes in a blink.

What else you need to know:

Inspired by Marc Jacobs’s first beauty memory of his mother carefully shaving fibers from a velvet ribbon to create her own couture faux lashes, Velvet Noir reinvents this epic look.

Buy on Sephora
SynergyByDesign #.
SynergyByDesign #.
Eastpointe, MI
My TRUE Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐1/2 (4.5) Stars:

My Main Thought; "If only Velvet Noir Mascara had been waterproof!"

The NEW MARC JACOBS BEAUTY Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara is a supreme, superb black, which I loved; the bold black is just as lashes should be: dark, vampy, dramatic.

It's 1990's grunge, heightened and nurtured from ragged flannel to a luxuriously, modern velvet visage; a neo-classic retrospective of past meeting present-day noir, still rich in history and culture, and born of inspiration that begs you to be inspired as well.

At first glance, the mascara looked thick, yet slightly wet and possibly messy. This is from the product being in boxes in stock rooms, not a product defect as some reviewers stated. I, simply, gave it a little shimmy between my palms (never shake mascara up and down, then you'll have a real mess and a lot of wasted product, dried up in the cap, on the wand, etc.)

When opening it again, I wiped off the excess from the wand (as you're supposed to with all mascaras) and all was well - no mess.

It is worth noting that I am severely eyelash-challenged and wholeheartedly believe my brother inherited all the lashes assigned to our family. Given that, I usually, use at least 3 mascaras: one to define, one for volume and another for length and perhaps another for depth of color; all waterproof formulas.

I generally dislike non-waterproof mascara, pretty intensely. Instead of enjoying your evening, if you dare laugh too hard (which I always do) or shut your eyes for the briefest of moments, you now look like an expertly groomed racoon with two black waterlines trailing down your beautifully strobbed cheeks.

While Velvet Noir didn't give me 80s raccoon eyes, it did smudge a bit; giving me a slightly smoked out eye, when I blended out the tiny baby racoon prints left by this mascara. Still, it is a great product; with, again, the blackest of black color with a divine subtle scent of roses, which left me pleasantly surprised!

Amazingly BLACK! I loved it, but I would have loved Velvet Noir so much more had it been waterproof. I feel my eyes are too small, so I never wear mascara on my bottom lashes; a waterproof formula would have eliminated the slight smudging problem I encountered.

Velvet Noir Mascara did give me volume and length. It wasn't clumpy for me, as other reviewers stated, but perhaps that is because I wait quite a bit between coats. For example, I'll put on the first coat, roll up my hair and then put on the second coat, etc.

I didn't expect much of one mascara, as I said my lashes are seriously lacking, but Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara came through with its beautifully, dramatic black color... It is aptly named, that's for sure!

Marc Jacobs really did choose the perfect face for this campaign in Winona Ryder.

She was the face of 1990's grunge, starting with the growing pains and heartache of "Reality Bites" to the very noir "Edward Sciccorhands" and her power-couple status with Johnny Depp. Ryder is just as beautiful now as then; if not moreso.... she's grown through her experiences; and past meets the present, once again, with her collaborating with Marc Jacobs.

Velvet Noir is, most definitely, the blackest mascara I've ever seen! You could see I had lashes! No, they weren't anything like falsies, but isn't that the point of false eyelashes? To be somewhat exaggerated?

Again, if the formula had only been waterproof... I could have put on a few more thin coats and gotten more volume and length. I'll just have to pray it's released in a waterproof formula at some point.

I did like the brush a lot. The inverted curvature allowed me to get to the lashes that need mascara most, giving me the look of longer lashes. And Velvet Noir did give my lashes a bit of a curl, but I did hit it with a lash curler, just in case!

I have to mention the overall packaging is gorgeous, very luxe and I love the mascara tube! The octogon shape fits perfectly in your hand, making for a good grip as your applying. The look is very Art Deco meets Futuristic and it's unique shape melds beauty with function very well! All in all, I give Velvet Noir 4.5 stars out of 5 stars.

Now, if Marc Jacobs Beauty decides to add a waterproof formula to this line? It will get the 5 stars it deserves.

Until then, I'll add a coat of waterproof mascara on top of Velvet Noir, but nothing will match the beautiful, dark almost-coal-black color created by Marc Jacobs for his Spring 2016 Collection. It's quite simply Inspired.
Samantha M.
Samantha M.
Review for: Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
**Bought this product on my own**

Just wanted to clarify because I know many were sent this mascara by Influenster.

EDITED REVIEW:

My previous 5 star review is below this but after multiple terrible experiences with this mascara, I no longer think of this mascara the same way.

I'm not sure what is in this stuff but my eyes are sensitive to light. If it's bright outside or if I'm driving toward the sun and it's shining in my eyes, my eyes tend to water A LOT. Most people's do when the sun is shining in their eyes, but mine will water even if it's just super bright outside.

Anyway, I'm not sure why, but when my eyes water even the slightest and I'm wearing this mascara it BURNS. So bad that I had to shut that eye completely WHILE I was driving. I couldn't pull over (LA traffic) so I shut my eye and then kept it open for as long as I could without blinking and that seemed to help. And then it would happen to my OTHER eye...that was a bad day for me to say the least. I had never been to LA, just moved to Cali and my husband and I were picking up a vehicle we had shipped. First time driving in LA traffic and my eyes start going crazy! I have never had that problem before with other mascaras. My eyes have watered and there wasn't pain at all. But this...I have no idea what's in it, but it HURTS. And I had no other makeup on my eyes those days and it happened multiple times (the other times I wasn't driving, luckily) so I know the mascara is the cause.

It's super black, it makes my lashes look fabulous, but IT. BURNS. If my eyes even start to water a little bit, I'm done for.

I'm not sure if others have had this problem, maybe I just got a bad tube..

The review:
Love. Love. Love.

Can't get enough of this!! My lashes are medium to long length and most of the time I can get my lashes looking long, but they NEVER hold a curl. With this stuff, they finally do!! The consistency is perfect. It's never clumpy. The brush/applicator is PERFECT because I love "chubbier" brushes. (Less of a chance I'll stab myself in the eye.)

It's so black and buildable. Clumps but it's a good clump. (That makes sense, right?) If you like thick looking lashes and want something dramatic without falsies, I highly recommend this mascara.

If you're not into "clumpy" and want a more natural look I'd just apply one coat and be done with it.
Andrea C.
Andrea C.
Los Angeles, CA
Review for: Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
This is a great mascara, but it’s not my favorite. The packaging is beautiful and because it has a sort of octagon shape to the bottle, it’s easy to hold the wand and use it daily. The brush is also really nice, with the perfect shape and length. But considering it’s from Marc Jacobs, I thought it was going to blow my mind and I definitely like my usual Benefit mascara better.

I’ve been using this mascara for awhile now and would say it is darker and wetter than most mascaras, so it can smear easily if you don’t give it time to dry. I love how dark it is, it’s definitely the blackest black, which I like. It is definitely lengthening and thickening, but I don’t find that it curls my lashes much, so I make sure to curl them first with my eyelash curler.

It glides on nicely and isn’t clumping at all, so you can add lots of layers and make it more dramatic. It also layers really well under or over another mascara, so you can always layer it with another mascara for more drama. Because the color is so dark, it gives the illusion of eyeliner around the lash line.

I’ve noticed that over the last month, it hasn’t started clumping up and drying up in the container like most other mascaras. You can always put a few drops of eye drops into dried out mascara, but it’s nice that this one doesn’t have that problem at all. This promises to provide really dramatic results, like false lashes could give you, and I don’t find that that’s the case for me. Sure, my lashes look great, it’s a great mascara, but it doesn’t give me the look of falsies or “1800% more volume”.
Kelly D.
Kelly D.
Review for: Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
Here's my thoughts on how the new @marcbeauty #velvetnoir major volume mascara held up through wear.
The initial application is great of this mascara - i thought with one coat it separated my lashes and build great volume and a bit of length. After the second coat i did need to comb through my lashes but i thought it didn’t clump my lashes together, which i find happens often when i try to comb through my lashes. It builds so much volume that i much prefer one coat when wearing minimal eye makeup.
i know that not everyone has this problem but i wanted to mention it anyways. i did get mascara on the initial application onto my eyelid that i especially noticed with minimal eye makeup, but i tend to have that problem with just about any mascara that i apply. nothing a little bioderma and cotton swabs can’t fit!
During the day i started to notice that it started to flake - although this isn’t ideal it isn’t a total deal breaker for me if i find that i can wipe the flakes off easily with my finger, a tissue, etc. However the longer i wore this the more smudging under the lower lash line i began to experience.
I am going to try to see how this layers with different mascaras, especially a waterproof mascara as a “top coat” because i thought this gave such incredible volume. For me, I won’t be able to use this as a single mascara because of the flaking and smudging i experienced, but as someone who tends to layer mascaras anyway I am excited to play around with this some more with other mascaras.
Veronica M.
Veronica M.
Review for: Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
I was lucky enough to receive this as a free gift from Marc Jacobs Beauty and Influenster to test and review.
I would have bought it as soon as it came out anyway because I am always on the quest to find a mascara that will give my lashes volume, thickness, fullness and some real intensity! I want some dramatic lashes to give me eyes an instant easy pop! I love that Velvet Noir does just that and that I can even wear it alone with no other eye makeup and it still gives me a dramatic eye.
It really only takes one coat but the more you add the more dramatic it transforms, really giving you a almost false eyelashes look/feel. I like that one coat is sufficient and that it is very build able, this is perfect for you if you want something that is intense and quick. Each added coat really intensified my lashes making them fuller and fuller, even with a little curl. Perfect if you want dramatic lashes without having to use falsies.
The only con I will mention and that I have is that it did clump very little when adding many coats, yet that is to be expected.
I recommend this mascara if not for your everyday use mascara then for your going out mascara. It is a fun mascara, excellent quality and beautifully packaged making it harder to resist.
Kim D.
Kim D.
Spokane Vly, WA
Review for: Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
I received a sample of this a few months ago and didn't bother to try it since I had found a mascara I loved already. A few weeks later I came across it, tried it once and said meh. A few days later I tried it again and again and again. I realized I had been using this every day. Do I get racoon eyes, of course I do. Not as bad as some mascara's but I have yet to find one that doesn't. This gives me so much length and volume that I even look at my lashes and say wow! The wand looks like it would pick up too much product, but except for wiping off the tip, I have used it straight from the tube. I haven't experienced any sensitivities or fallout. I do use an oil remover to get it off, it has staying power. No clumps, I have a metal lash separator and haven't had to use it. I wear this every day and I bought the full size. The tube is a little big and clunky but it applies very easily. I haven't poked myself in the eye with the wand and it does what it's supoosed to. I try a lot of products, but when I buy something after trying it...it's worth it.
Dallas W.
Dallas W.
Arlington , Tx
This is a nice mascara. Deep black and somewhat a 'wet' formula but not so wet that it straightens out your curled lashes. Flakes? I dont get ANY flakes! Make sure if you use setting spray that you spray your face BEFORE you apply mascara. I noticed one time I sprayed setting spray on my face after applying the mascara. Later in the day i could see my mascara wasn't fresh looking and my eyeliner was smearing. Maybe that is why some people are getting flakes??? Not sure, but when i use it, it looks fresh for HOURS! I use about 4 coats from roots to tips concentrating on wiggling the brush to the tips and adding the last coat on the tips to make my lashes appear fuller. I wiggle and roll the wand as i apply. This Marc Jacob mascara builds up faster in my opinion and stays looking a dark black color all day!! #TopPick
Tiffany R.
Tiffany R.
Mocksville, NC
Review for: Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
I actually really liked this mascara. I still use it everyday. One thing I must say is that it looks terrible when I wear it on its own also my lashes need to be curled :) I have really weird eyelashes and they just look sad if I don't curl them (LOL) I have to wear a lengthening mascara under this one for them to get to the desired length BUT it adds a ton of volume and it is SUPER dark (the way I like my mascaras) It lasts all day on me, and doesn't flake or transfer under my eyes (like a lot of mascaras do) I really enjoy this mascara :) (P.S. keep in mind that everyone has different eyelashes, and prefers them to look different ways. No one mascara is going to make everyone happy :) I suggest , if you are really looking into it, go to sephora and pick one up. You can always return it if it doesn't work out !!)
Andrea D.
Andrea D.
Buffalo, NY
Review for: Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir mascara is a great choice for those looking for deep, dark, dramatic lashes with tons of volume. As is found in a lot of volumizing mascaras, the formula is rich, and ultra creamy. You know the feeling--when you pull out the wand and it seems "juicy". You can layer this mascara really nicely in multiple coats or even with another type of mascara. The wand is a great size, not too too big, very manageable bristle size which will work for eyes of all sizes. Best results in use with a curler to really open the eye. I wear this on my upper AND lower lashes and haven't experienced any smudging. If you are experiencing smudging, make sure you are setting your under eye concealer! Fans of Too Faced's 'Better Than Sex' mascara or Urban Decay's 'Perversion' mascara will likely love! $26
Rebeca T.
Rebeca T.
Review for: Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
I received this mascara from Influenster a few months ago. This is the second high end mascara that I own, I have long lashes so I usually go for the ones with big brushes for volume, so I wasn't sure of the particular brush in this mascara when I first saw it. It doesn't only provides all the volume I need, it also has the most amazing formula that doesn't smudge when you accidentally rub your eyes and doesn't hurt your lashes at the time you're removing your makeup. The only con I see is the amount of product that comes out every time you're going to use it, it's definitely a waste cleaning the excess off but if you don't you're definitely going to get that clumpy lashes look that some of us hate. Other than that I love it, specially the sleek packaging.
Katellyn L.
Katellyn L.
Beauty Junkie Expert
I've seen a lot of hype on this, what does everyone think of it? How is the staying power? Any problems with flaking or smudging?
Marcela G.
Marcela G.
Oceanside , CA
Is this mascara easy to remove?
Kaitlynn R.
Kaitlynn R.
Clover, SC
I have been searching for a new mascara recently and have a hard time deciding. I was wondering if this is a good choice to go with. Does it give lots of length and volume? Does it transfer onto the under eye area?
Candice W.
Candice W.
Does this clump?
Nikita S.
Nikita S.
San Jose, CA
Beauty Junkie Expert
Is this out on the market? If it is, where can I get it?