Marc Jacobs Beauty
Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara

BY MARC JACOBS BEAUTY #1 in Mascara

Instant volume, epic lashes.

What it is: This majorly volumizing mascara delivers instant volume for your most epic lashes yet.

Experience 1800% more volume and the look of false lashes with Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara. The lash-maximizing, curvy brush places the most volume at the hard-to-reach center lash line, and the defining tip styles lashes for major drama. The ultra-concentrated black pigment delivers the greatest visual impact, and the flash volume complextm creates instant, smudge-free length and volume in three strokes or less. Velvet Noir gives you the thickest lashes in a blink.

What else you need to know:

Inspired by Marc Jacobs’s first beauty memory of his mother carefully shaving fibers from a velvet ribbon to create her own couture faux lashes, Velvet Noir reinvents this epic look.

• Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara I don't know ...2 Answers
  • Who else received the Marc Jacobs Beauty VoxBox? I fell in love w...6 Answers
  • so did anyone else receive Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major V...3 Answers
Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
Reviews (1966)
Jennifer A.
Lake Forest, CA
This is my favorite mascara of 2017. Before that I was loving Lancôme Hypnôse Star (which I believe they've discontinued). I wear glasses, so I'm not usually looking for length because that usually leads to smudged lenses. And I am often rushing in the morning so I don't want a mascara that I need to layer up in the morning.

Velvet Noir gives me that major volume in 1 coat. Additional must haves: no crunchiness and no smudging. It also gives me a bit of lift without needing to use an eyelash curler - something my eyes have gotten more sensitive to lately. It has a traditional nylon brush, which I tend to prefer over the silicon bristles which I find poke-y. I have layered this for nights' out, and you do have to be a bit careful not to get heavy-handed, but I don't find it card to brush out with a steel mascara comb.

I also like a formula that isn't TOO wet - and I'm not not a fan of having to wait a couple weeks for a mascara to dry up to the consistency I want it to be. I really liked the formula of Marc Jacobs O!Mega Lash, but I never bought it because the samples dried up on me fairly quickly. (And I like a drier formula.) Velvet Noir arrives at the right consistency for me but doesn't dry up.

I thought that the hourglass wand would make it difficult getting into the inner corners, but it doesn't, and it really helps me brush out the very ends of my lashes. I also like that Marc Jacobs doesn't scent his mascaras unlike Lancôme.

And, this is easy to remove at night. Wins all around! Love!
Rory K.
I received a sample of this mascara in my Sephora Play! box and I wish I could give it a 4.5 star review. I had a tough time deciding between 4 or 5 stars.

My eyelashes are fairly long, but can be sparse at times and on my left side, I have a weird spot where a small chunk of my eyelashes are shorter and it's always a struggle to make it look even and similar to the right side. This mascara does the trick fairly easily! The only reason I docked a star was because I'm not a huge fan of the brush. It's a bit sloppy and the first few applications I did had extra globs of mascara. Some of this, of course, is due to me not using brushes quite like this one. After the first few applications, however, I no longer have the globs of mascara sticking to the brush and I can apply it very easily and quickly to get a full, well volumized look which is everything I look for in a mascara! It also lasts longer and doesn't flake off under my eye during the day like I notice from some of my other mascaras.
Emma E.
London, London
I initially wasn’t a huge fan of this mascara, but I think that’s mostly down to using the same brand of mascara since high school lol. But I found the trick with this mascara is VERY careful application, otherwise you will end up with gloopy spider lashes (unless that’s the look you’re going for!). Now I’ve made Black Noir part of my daily makeup routine as it literally gives me lashes FOR DAYS and looks like I’m wearing false lashes. I usually put on my regular mascara before applying it though because it helps separate my lashes, then apply Black Noir because it helps extend them even further. Would definitely recommend for anyone looking to invest in a more expensive brand - this mascara will last for ages and it worth the money!
Domynoe L.
Lawrenceville, GA
Received this in my Play bag. Honestly, this is very similar to Cover Girl's Great Lash in terms of how it applies and coverage. The color is good, it lengthens but doesn't really thicken, and takes two layers to show up the way I like. Removal was a pain, literally. It doesn't claim to be waterproof, but it was hard to remove and flaked into my eyes (it hadn't done so before attempting to remove it) and refused to come out. It hurt and nothing I did got rid of it. The problem persisted into the day, along with some mild itching that developed overnight/in the morning. It did sort itself out eventually, but I'm not going to play with it again after this, so trashed it. Since other than removal it performs pretty much the same as a drugstore mascara, it's not worth the price, so even if it hadn't caused problems. I wouldn't purchase it on my own.
Sarah W.
I received a sample of the Velvet Noir Mascara by Marc Jacobs from Influenster for testing, and I can honestly say I am impressed. The black colour is beautifully pigmented and gives me dark, luscious lashes. I have been using the mascara for the last week and putting it through all the tests--exercise, rain, all-day wear. It has survived everything.

That being said, I don't wear mascara on my bottom lashes, so I don't know if it smudges on the bottom, however I have had no smudging from the top lashes.

My only critique is that it doesn't layer super well. Rather than doing a couple coats of mascara, it is better to swipe on a lot in one coat. Otherwise it gets a touch clumpy. However, that is easy to to deal with.

I will definitely look to purchasing this product for myself when the sample runs out! Good job Marc Jacobs... I definitely recommend!

UPDATE BELOW:

So as mentioned above, I received this product as part of a VirtualVox Collab with John Lewis. The more I use this mascara, the less I like it. I have found that after the first few uses, the formula has gone extremely clumpy. And, I find the wand to not really help in smoothing through these clumps. I think there are definitely better mascaras at a more reasonable price. This makes me sad since I really did like it when it was brand, brand new, but after a few uses it got clumpy so quick. :(
Kimberlee R.
San Clemente , CA
I received a deluxe trial size from sephora along with an eyeliner last year for my birthday. I gave a review already on the eyeliner. As a gift i just received a full size. The mascara i did not care for so much. I didn't like the brush and i just felt like it was too goopy and i just couldn't get it to apply the way i like. Not to say that this wouldn't work for others, it's just not for me. I know many people love this mascara but for the price tag it needs to wow me. Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
Cristina A.
pros: this is the best mascara I've ever used in my life! It gives me volume & length. It doesn't clump, doesn't smear, doesn't take forever to take off! Last all day long. I'm just obsessed with it. Everything that the better than sex & Dior show mascaras got wrong, this one got right !

cons: the cost is high but the quality is worth it!! I will never use another mascara again. Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
Tiffany T.
Minford, OH
Marc Jacobs Beauty Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara is stunning! The packaging is heavy, sleek, and very luxurious. It's definite eye candy for the vanity. The mascara itself is very effective, easy to apply, and long lasting. The applicator wand is fluffy on the ends and skinnier in the middle which allow the lashes to be fully coated from root to tip and across the entire lash, so that lashes appear full and long. The formula is wet, but not messy wet, and dries completely without clumping or flaking. It is not waterproof but it does stay out well. I'm not sure how it would hold up through crying or watering eyes, but it doesn't smear easily under regular conditions. The color is very black and it makes my eyes appear so much more open and wide. My lashes are thin and short and this mascara makes them touch my eyelid. I a totally in love! I was very pleased to discover that it is only $226, which is great for a luxury brand product that is as effective as this mascara is. Overall, this mascara is flawless in every aspect, no complaints.
Jeannine C.
Ithaca, NY
I received this in a Sephora Play box. At first I loved it, but now there seems to be some product collecting on the end of the want which leads to climbing. I love how black this formula is and how well it separated my lashes when I first got it. The voluming formula is perfect for me as I have long lashes that just need some extra color to make my eyes pop. I only had problems with transfer the last time I will this, so I will update my review once I determine if that's an ongoing issue for me or not. If I can get the climbing issue sorted out I will really like this mascara... Although probably not enough to buy the full size.
Kara H.
Lexington, KY
I think this is possibly my favorite mascara of all time. The packaging is very unique . A little bulky and I like the squareness of it . But the mascara makes my lashes look the best ever . So much volume makes them look thick and gorgeous . I constantly have people asking if these are my.real lashes . The length it gives my lashes is so long . I can't get over how this formula makes my lashes pop. The black color is extremely black . Just the beat mascara ever
Katellyn L.
I've seen a lot of hype on this, what does everyone think of it? How is the staying power? Any problems with flaking or smudging?
Marcela G.
Oceanside , CA
Is this mascara easy to remove?
Candice W.
Does this clump?
Kaitlynn R.
Clover, SC
I have been searching for a new mascara recently and have a hard time deciding. I was wondering if this is a good choice to go with. Does it give lots of length and volume? Does it transfer onto the under eye area?
Nikita S.
Los Angeles, CA
Is this out on the market? If it is, where can I get it?