BY MANIC PANIC #18 in Hair Bleach & Lighteners

For the ulitimate dramatic color results when you dye your hair, you have to bleach your hair first. You can get amazing blonde results, too Best Choice for Pre- Lightening hair before using Special Effects Hair Dye. Can be used to bleach hair that is medium blond or medium brown to make it pale yellow or white. Good for frosting, streaking and tipping on light brown or medium brown hair. For long hair, we recommend you buy 2 kits. see more...

Manic Panic 30 Volume Flash Lightning Hair Lightening Kit
  • "At the time I did this my hair was a dark brown almost black color with reddish undertones so after I took this stuff out(once again waiting nearly two hrs) my hair was orange." in 1 review
  • "It made my eyes water and it turned my dark, dark brown hair a tweety bird yellow (which was fine since dyed it pink afterwads but still)." in 1 review
  • "User friendly but I always use with a friend putting it in for the right look." in 1 review
Kailee S.
Elk River, MN
This product was affordable and convenient because I found it at my local Sally’s beauty supply shop. It was nice that it came with all the supplies that you needed, but what I hated about this product was 1- there was only a little amount of product, not enough for my entire head. 2- the directions were kind of confusing because it said it required a blow dryer to activate the chemicals in the bleach, and when I blow dried my hair, all it did was blow bleach powder all over my bathroom.
Anna N.
Summerfield, FL
The shipping was quite quick, it took 3 days and came with everything it was supposed to come with. Yes, as other people said there isn't that much product to bleach your entire head (if you had thick long hair) but for me, I was going for an ombré effect, and it was just enough. As I was pouring the developer and the bleach together it gave off a strong bad smell (I'm sure it's the same with other bleaching products as well), so I'd recommend opening a window and/or turning the fan on when bleaching your hair. I have black, asian hair and the bleaching took about 1 hour and thirty minutes and it sadly did not turn my hair blonde at all but after showering (remember to wash the bleach out good or else it will leave a chemical smell) I realized it looks like a strawberry blonde, which I don't hate. It is a nice color, and I would definitely use this product again to get the strawberry blonde color, but I was just wanted to bleach my hair blonde which is the reason for the 4 stars, but it may work correctly for you, after all, everyone's hair is different.
Elizabeth S.
Brooklyn, NY
I really loved the idea of this product, and using it to lighten my medium/dark brown hair instead of having to go to a salon. For the price and the outcome, I was pleasantly surprised at how well my hair lightened. Will I buy it again? Probably not, only because I had some issues with brassiness not wanting to tone down. It's a good product for someone with more experience (and possibly lighter hair) than me. I'll stick the salon professionals from now on!
Rachel L.
Olustee, OK
I seriously don't understand why people don't like this!! I love this stuff! I recently decided I wanted light pink and blue streaks in my hair so I stopped by Sally beauty supply store to grab some bleach and they didn't have my bleach that I normally get (beyond the zone whiteout bleach kit) so I grabbed this stuff(I have a thing for kits so I don't have to buy a ton of different stuff) I only used about 1/4 of the bleach and I mixed probably a little over 1/4 of the bottle of the developer! I then slathered this stuff onto the pieces of my hair that I wanted bleached, rolled it up in foils, and stuck my hair in a cap and waited for nearly two hrs! (I know you're probably thinking omg two hours really?!!) but after taking it out my hair wasn't damaged at all! I swear I'm being honest here! It felt exactly as it did before I bleached it!! And during the waiting time because I had it in foils and a cap the bleach stayed moist and didn't dry out! Also about a week later I decide I didn't like the pink and blue because they faded to an ugly color I hated! I decided I wanted to go fully platinum(lucky me I bought two packs cause I didn't know exactly how much I would need. Plus I had the other 3/4 of the first box left) so I went to work on my whole head! At the time I did this my hair was a dark brown almost black color with reddish undertones so after I took this stuff out(once again waiting nearly two hrs) my hair was orange. It wasn't super super orange but it was orange(which I expected) and the newly bleached parts were once again seemingly undamaged! And the previously bleached part was only very very slightly dry and even even less fried! I was so amazed! Needles to say this is my new favorite bleach! Sadly they didn't have this bleach when I was ready to bleach the orange out of my hair so I had to get a different bleach for that and I hated it!
Christain S.
Greensboro, NC
This all in one kit is super convenient, and has everything you need to lighten or bleach your hair. My hair is short, and this lit was just enough for my hair- so if you have longer hair you will need more than one. I started with dark brown hair, and this lifted my hair 4 or more shades! You WILL HAVE TO TONE! This only lightens your hair, and you use a toner to get the right shade from here. Yes, your hair may be goldilocks level at first, but don't fret. After toning, it will look different (depends on what toner you use). Follow the instructions on the package EXACTLY. Bleach only develops for a short time, leaving it on longer will only damage your hair. Also, your roots develop faster, due to the heat from your scalp, so leave those for last during application. This was perfect for me, and didn't leave my hair brittle or crunchy- but I started with healthy hair that hasn't been color treated in years. Overall a great kit. I took one star away due to the amount of product.
Samantha V.
Mount Airy, MD
I suppose for the price it is good and when I was a teenager I used this quite a bit. Now that I am a professional hairdresser I have to say that any lightening should beer left to a professional and you should most definitely not use a developer this strong at home
Melissa R.
East Point, GA
This is the greatest bleaching kit I have ever used. I have used it several times the last couple months and every time I end up with great results. my hair is jet black and with this product it turns out to be a very light colored blonde instead of a brassy blonde.
Maria R.
This is and alright lighting kit. The only thing I would say I disliked was the amount of it that came in the box. It was very little and I have shoulder length hair so not much . But other then the amount it came with the product itself was pretty good it did work
Jenny E.
I love Manic Panic's lightening kit. It has everything you need in order to bleach your hair. I really like their products and think that they're very effective and brought my hair to a pale yellow. Which is the perfect canvas for bright and colorful hair.
Hertha A.
I remember using this back in high school. To the last on my knowledge they don't give you a toner which is a huge issue for most people that have any red tones in their hair since it will turn it an orange color and not a yellow like you'd expect
cna e.
Stockton, CA
I have been interested in trying out a hair bleaching product for a while now, but haven't come across any products that have caught my eye. I'm wondering if this product is drying? and will it leave my hair brittle?
Elizabeth R.
Ligonier, IN
Does this damage your hair bad?
Kristen P.
I want to go blonde at home. Has anyone used this or recommend something so I can go blonde at home? I don't even know what all I would really need beside the bleach and toner?? Thanks in advance for any info!
Nikki I.
Glendale, CA
Would this work on black hair ? And will it turn brown or blonde ? I just trimmed my hair also so will I have brittle ends or will I be good ?
Alaina M.
Clearfield, PA
I'm really wanting to experiment with pastel colors. How well does this work on already colored black hair? Would I have to use this product several times? What's the safest way not to blow out my shaft and fry it??