BY MAKE UP FOR EVER

STEP1 is the range of skin equalizers developed to refine, smooth and even out. Our exclusive Equalizer Complex delivers 3 key actions:

- APPLICATION : makeup goes on seamlessly
- RESULT : optimized color & finish
- WEAR: longer staying power

MATTIFYING PRIMER is the answer to unwanted shine, fighting against excess oil to ensure a matte makeup result. Formulated with our specific Sebustop Vegetal Complex, this first step equalizer instantly reduces pore size and controls shine for a flawless makeup all day long.

SMOOTHING PRIMER instantly fills in and blurs imperfections for silky soft skin. This satiny, non-oily formula evens out skin texture by minimizing pores, wrinkles and fine lines. Skin looks resurfaced and perfectly smooth for a flawless makeup all day long.
HYDRATING PRIMER instantly quenches skin's thirst by helping boost and refreshing tired skin. Formulated with our specific
H₂O Complex, it provides moisture transforming dehydrated skin into a supple, healthy, plump surface for a flawless makeup all day long.

NOURISHING PRIMER instantly replenishes dry and dehydrated skin with a moisture-rich soothing formula. Our specific Vegetal Complex feeds skin, hydrating and reviving it while antioxidants protect from the elements. Its rich and creamy texture melts on the skin to nourish and sooth. Restores elasticity and revitalizes skin to ensure a more uniform texture and a flawless makeup all day long.

REDNESS CORRECTING PRIMER instantly neutralizes and evens out red tones for flawless foundation coverage. Green Spectraflex® pigments color correct redness and boost radiance while moisturizing agents provide hydration. Skin tone is evened out for a flawless makeup all day long.

RADIANT PRIMERS instantly color correct according to skin tone giving what looks like new bare skin. These tailored equalizers transform radiance levels and bring more hydration
and light to the face. Formulated with our blend of Spectraflex® pigments to neutralize imperfections and banish dullness, Radiant Primers give immediate radiance and even skin tone for a flawless makeup all day long.
Find your Radiant Primer color:
11. Mauve: for yellow dark skin

• MAKE UP FOR EVER STEP1 Skin Equalizer Primer Is this prim...3 Answers
  • Can I use it daily??3 Answers
MAKE UP FOR EVER STEP1 Skin Equalizer Primer
  • "this!! this is a great primer! it’s similar in consistency to smashbox photo finish primer but is slightly pigmented. it also dries down a lot better than the fore mentioned product. it leaves a nice matte finish and doesn’t cause my brows to run or wipe away like most other silicone primers do." in 416 reviews
  • "i have extremely oily skin.. or so i thought until i used this product. pro: it mattifies the skin as it claims. con: it made my foundation look cakey. maybe i should of use a more hydrating moisturizer before applying this but don't think i'll repurchase since it made me look more oily at the end of the night." in 56 reviews
Jennifer K.
Fresno, CA
Review for: 1 Mattifying primer more...
The BEST primer for oily skin. I have combo oily skin. And during the summer it’s more on the oily side. I love this primer because it keeps me matte all day long! Use it with EL’s double wear foundation and it’s the best combo for oily skin I swear by it.

My only gripe is that it’s a little difficult to squeeze out of the tube to the point where it’s really annoying. I’ve used and repurchased this enough to where it’s the same every time. I have to use two hands to SQUEEZE that stuff out (I know first world probs). I had to take off a star because of this.

The texture of this feels almost like smashbox’s primer, it has a silicone feel to it. But it doesn’t feel heavy on my face vs smashbox’s primer.

Overall, it’s a great primer if you have oily skin. Highly recommend, the packaging/getting the product out shouldn’t deter anyone from buying this 💕
Morgan M.
I have really mixed feelings about this primer so I am only giving it 3 stars. This product is a life saver when it comes to oily skin, you can literally feel the primer dry out your skin (in a good way). It also is relatively lightweight and maintains oil control throughout most of the day. One major thing you have to be careful with is applying the primer evenly because if you don't smooth it out completely, you WILL be able to notice. It is such an intensely mattifying product that without proper application it will cause your makeup to build up in areas even with the slightest amount of foundation. I also recommend using another hydrating primer with this because it can cause slight dry skin. I used the Too faced hangover primer with it and they paired pretty well together. However, I must reiterate that it has caused uneven application of my foundation and also doesn't necessarily lock the foundation in as much as I hoped it would.
Vasi K.
Beaumont, TX
Hands down favorite primer I have EVER used. What was I doing before this primer?! I have very dry skin and this primer is the first ever to actually feel HYDRATING on my skin AND make my makeup last!! it feels as good as lotion does but not as thick! It’s the ultimate texture and it’s weightless. It’s not so much a “blurring” kind of primer. It just hydrates the skin and provides the perfect layer between your moisturizer and foundation. If you have really dry skin like mine, I really don’t think this will disappoint you! Keep in mind - it IS only a primer. So it isn’t go by to get rid of all your dry skin. But it will soothe it and make it feel ready for your makeup once you use it after your regular face moisturizer. No regrets here!
bre V.
I was totally disappointed with this primer. I purchased it at Sephora and it was recommended to me by the associates there who I explained to fully how sensitive my skin is and how easily I break out but was told over and over again that this product would not do that and was a customer favorite. While it might be a good product for some, I did not notice any difference in the appearance of my skin after applying this primer or after finishing my makeup. It also caused me to break out all over my forehead terribly so I would never purchase this again. Also, in my experience so far, Makeup Forever brand is way too overpriced for the quality of most of the products they sell and is exclusively available in Sephora or online which limits customer access to their products too much.
Jasmine B.
Review for: 1 Mattifying primer more...
This primer is neck and neck with my all time fave,  BECCA Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector™ .  I use Skin Equalizer the same way; I warm it up between my fingers first then press it onto my problematic T zone area.  I have tried to rub it in instead but I find that it balls up on my chin and leaves an unsightly residue.  I always like to wait until the primer dries down before applying any other products.  With the proper setting products, I only need to blot once or twice in an eight hour period.  My makeup doesn't break up when I use the product and I have found that it does help to fill in my pores.

To save some money, I would recommend buying 2 tubes of the mini version.  You'll spend $34 for 1 ounce of product as opposed to spending $37 for a 1 ounce tube.
Natalie A.
I love love love this primer!! I am the kind of person that doesn't believe in primers and NEVER use them but I got this as a sample from Sephora and tried it out and WOW. I was so impressed. This primer actually works lol my pores instantly shrink and smooths my skin for the perfect canvas for makeup. The primer is a little tinted which I actually like cuz it kind of acts as a corrector in a way. I have redness and it def helps. I went to Sephora and bought the full size lol
Mary Jane V.
Hayward, CA
The matte, hydrating, and smoothing products from this equalizer brand are amazing!!!

I have combo skin so I utilize all three of them.

Matte: for my t-zone. Leaves your skin SUPER matte!! If you are extremely oily, this one will be your best friend. Especially in the summer. I wouldn’t recommend it if you have dry skin. It will just dry your skin out even more.

Hydrating: for the perimeter of my face. Feels like the Too Faced Hangover primer. This is the one I would recommend if you have dry skin, but it would also work if you have oily skin. I’ve used it all over the face when I want a natural skin finish.

Smoothing: for my nose and cheek area where I have large pores. Feels like the Benefit porefessional, but less silicony if that makes sense. And I noticed that this one really helps prevent my make up from caking up around the sides of my nose. It blurs out my pores and gives me a smooth canvas before applying foundation.

If you haven’t tried these yet.....get a sample!!! Or they also have them in travel sizes 👌🏽👌🏽
Mona Z.
Concord, NH
Review for: 2 Smoothing primer more...
I received this primer as a sample and felt compelled to purchase the full size after just one use. My skin gets pretty oily throughout the day (I know my future self will be grateful for this but my present self finds it quite annoying) and I have tried endless primers that claim to “blur” pores or control oil. When I first applied this primer to my face, I noticed incredible mattifying effects immediately. My skin looked and felt so smooth, but the product did not leave a heavy film the way some mattifying primers tend to do, it just melted into my skin. After application, I spot concealed and set with a translucent powder. My skin looked amazing all day even after biking around town for hours and going for a run. This does have a subtle scent to it which didn’t bother me (I actually found it pleasant) but could possibly irritate those with more sensitive skin. Overall, this is the best primer I’ve tried in a long time and has reignited my love for Make Up For Ever products.
April X.
Plymouth, WI
Review for: 1 Mattifying primer more...
MY HOLY GRAIL! This primer is amazing for people with oily skin! I used this primer for a party that I was attending, I had makeup on for 7+ hours and it kept my foundation looking AMAZING! I would definitely recommend this product to people with oily skin and big pores! I have oily skin and usually have a hard time with keeping my foundation on my face in addition to covering my pores. However, this product was wonderful! Would definitely recommend this!
Lauren J.
Review for: 1 Mattifying primer more...
I was recommended this primer at Sephora to help fill in my large pores. I was excited to use it, but it unfortunately didn't have the effects I was looking for. It didn't really do much for my pores or skin. And my makeup looked like it always did. Then my face started breaking our all over the place for weeks. When I stopped using this primer my face cleared up in a few days. I do not recommend this product and will be returning.
Kiera C.
Charlotte, NC
I have never tried a make up forever primer because I heard the redness targeting primer didn't set into the face. Is this true for all of their primers?
Rebecca R.
Cumberland Gap, TN
I've just started using this product and I can't seem to get it to blend well into my skin. It seems to flake off. Anyone else have this problem?
Marin P.
Eagan, MN
I got this sample from Sephora and it worked well with my skin. Does the travel size last for a while or would you suggest buying the standard size?
tatiana L.
Did anyone find it itchy once applied in the red area?
Isobel K.
Aren't they a few versions of this primer? Which is the best one?

Amazon