11 colors available

BY MAKE UP FOR EVER #22 in Face Primer

A makeup primer that assists with balancing the skin's texture and tone for smoother, more even, and longer-lasting makeup wear. Prep skin for your makeup routine with Step 1 Skin Equalizers, and address your skin concerns with this innovative makeup primer. Perfect for balancing skin and achieving an ideal makeup result, it's lightweight and creamy, leaving a more evenly-toned appearance, and increases foundation's hold. This primer for all skintones leaves makeup looking fresh for hours while it hydrates, firms, and smooths the look of the skin. Step 1 Skin Equalizer is available in 10 formulas to target every texture and tone concern: Texture: Mattifying Primer reduces shine for oily skin. Smoothing Primer evens the skin's texture. Hydrating Primer preps normal skin and restores balance. Nourishing Primer moisturizes and comforts. Redness Correcting Primer neutralizes. Tone: Radiant Primer Blue adds radiance to light skin. Radiant Primer Pink adds radiance to light to medium skin. Radiant Primer Yellow adds radiance to light to medium skin. Radiant Primer Peach adds radiance to medium to tan skin. Radiant Primer Caramel adds radiance to dark skin. If you're not sure where to start, try the Smoothing and Hydrating Primers. "Like painters, who need a perfectly smooth, even-colored, and flawless canvas, makeup artists require even-toned and smooth skin for an optimal and professional makeup result." Dany Sanz, MAKE UP FOR EVER Founder and Creative Director MAKE UP FOR EVER'S exclusive Equalizer Technology features Acti Tensor 3D, Hyaluronic Acid, and Regeactive, which help to hydrate, firm, and smooth the skin to create the perfect makeup canvas. see more...

• Ladies honestly do you really see any benefit of primer? What about...5 Answers
  • I want to receive the products to be able to show...Be the first to answer!
Buy on Sephora
Sarah A.
Sarah A.
Boise, ID
4 Stars for the Smoothing Primer and 2 Stars for the Mattifying Primer

I purchased 2 of the MUFE primers and 1 I absolutely love and the other not so much...I bought two (smoothing for my pores on my cheeks and mattifying for my oily T zone) as a complimentary products to my MUFE foundation stick. I love the smoothing primer, it does exactly what it says it's supposed to do and it smell great! The one I just won't be using anymore is the mattifying one. I have tried time and time again to get it to work but it just is a hot mess.

First, it's extremely difficult to get the product out of the tube... (I have definitely had it explode everywhere applying to much pressure on the tube to get product out. And let's be real when you're trying to get ready in the morning that is the last thing you want to have happen.)

Second, I find it difficult to blend into the skin and it never really feels like its absorbs into the skin, feels more like its sitting on top which brings me to my next point. My foundation doesn't matter which one I am using (Marc Jacobs, Hourglass or MUFE) looks absolutely heinous wherever this primer is especially on my nose. Just looks absolutely cakey and makes me want to just scratch the product off my nose.

The concept is there I feel like it could be a great mattifying primer if it was reformulated to blend easier and not be so tacky on the skin to where foundation looks built up and cakey.

Lacey G.
Lacey G.
West Hills, CA
Beauty Junkie Expert
Okay so I have literally tried what seems like every recommended primer for oily skin that there is. I couldn't tell you the last time that I could say I LOVE my primer. I was a using the Hourglass Veil primer for the past six months and i really liked it and it did its job for about 5 or so hours. My only problem was that:
a) it cost an arm and a leg and
b) once it hit the five hour mark I could really see my face makeup starting to move.

I bought this on a recommendation from a friend who works at Sephora and they recommend that you put less than 1/4 of a dime size and work it into my Tzone (this is where I am most oily) and I use the leftover on the rest of my face. I'm not going to lie it does feel VERY tacky at first, but HUNTI when you combine this with a foundation (in this case I used the Josie Maran Vibrancy Argan Oil foundation) and I literally have fallen in love with make up all over again. My makeup held for a solid eight hours and I really did feel like I had no makeup on my face. It really helps blend int he product and block the oil. The one thing I would say is the packaging isn't great, I wish it weren't in a squeeze tub, but it does control the amount that comes out which in the end saves me money so it isn't that awful

What I love about this is it really does add a matte finish for my oily skin and its actually relatively affordable given the little amount I use.
Krystle M.
Krystle M.
Deltona, FL
BEST PRIMER EVER! After spending time on You-Tube trying to find inspiration, I was watching a favorites video from Jaclyn Hill I decided to try this. I have not found a primer that I truly love and does something for my horrible pores. This one does is fantastic!

There are 11 primers to choose from; Mattifying (which is the one I chose) , Smoothing which instantly fills in and blurs imperfections , Hydrating boost and refreshes tired skin, Nourishing replenishes dry and dehydrated, Redness correcting neutralizes and evens out red tones, Cool pink for yellow fair skin
, Blue for yellow red fair skin, Peach for fair skin, Yellow for tanned skin, Caramel for dark skin and mauve for yellow dark skin.Each one has specific benefits. You can even use more than one for your perfect custom primer.

It feels so good going on the skin, it’s not heavy nor does it clog pores. I, honestly, notice not only a difference in how my makeup applies, but it also makes it last all day! I will be going back and getting the hydrating and probably the smoothing. If you are still searching for the perfect primer you should try this.
Sydney N.
Sydney N.
After hearing so many good things about this primer, I was somewhat disappointed to have mixed feelings about the different formulas.

MATTIFYING - Immediately upon application, my skin felt extremely stiff and dry. However, I do not experience this problem when when mixing this primer with MUFE smoothing primer or the hydrating primer. I have also found that if you do not smooth the primer into your skin thoroughly (and fast!), it can cause your foundation to appear patchy and/or streaky. As for its mattifying ability, I have found that it keeps me matte until about mid-day, but not throughout the entire day.

SMOOTHING - I did find that my pores appeared smaller/less noticeable when using this primer. I also found that this primer helped to create a nice, smooth canvas for my foundation to be applied over top.

I typically use these primers together. I will apply the smoothing primer all over, then apply the mattifying primer in areas that tend to produce oil throughout the day.
Lauren K.
Lauren K.
Astoria, NY
Review for: Make Up For Ever Step 1 Skin Equalizer Primer
I have both the Nourishing and the Smoothing primers. I have extremely dry skin so the nourishing primer is great for me. It adds the extra hydration I need on top of my daily moisturizer without leaving me feeling greasy like some other moisturizing primers. I would definitely recommend the nourishing primer for anyone with dry skin.

I'm on the fence with the smoothing primer though. It smells great - a lot better than other smoothing primers I've tried I also LOVE that it really does help to smooth out my pores and fine lines, but I was noticing that my makeup was not staying on my nose throughout the day (my nose is the main area I was applying the smoothing primer). I stopped using it for a day or two and my foundation seemed to stayed on fine. I cut back on how much I was using - which was less than a pea size to begin with - and my makeup seems to be staying on again. So just be careful with the smoothing primer and applying too much.
Tony C.
Tony C.
Review for: MAKE UP FOR EVER Step 1 Skin Equalizer Mattifying Primer - For Oily Skin 0.5 oz
Skin Type: Oily/Acne Prone

I got the 0.5 oz version because I wasn't sure if I should buy the full size. I didn't want to risk spending $37 only for it to not work.

I've tried many primers directed towards acne prone skin. The Tarte BB Primer was my holy grail, but MUFE has won me over with this one. I was afraid it wouldn't hide my pores, but it did! And I didn't have to blot my face as often with this primer on, although I think it was the combination of products I used that helped my makeup last without getting overly shiny.

I'm pretty much in love and I will continue to use this primer since it works the best out of the ones I've tried! I totally recommend this to those with oily skin, but get a sample and try it out first before you make the final purchase!
Influenster M.
Influenster M.
Review for: Make Up For Ever Step 1 Skin Equalizer Primer
This creates a really good canvas and jumping off point to apply foundation, it keeps my foundation put, even in my problematic areas. I am pretty dry except for my t-zone. I think that there are other primers out there that do a better job of minimizing the look of pores however it is a top contender for top mattifying primer. and all around evening the skins tone. The pricepoint isn't to out of the question considering what you are getting and a little goes a long way, if you use too much of this per application, it can cause things to go awry and you'll experience pilling or seperation and migration if the application is uneven from my experience. I would definitely repurchase I think this is a great primer to have in your arsenal.
Wesley L.
Wesley L.
Brooklyn, NY
First things first, this primer is a godsend for this oily skinned, makeup addicted girl. When I use this primer, I can count on my foundation adhering to my face ALL DAY LONG. I prefer going for this mattifying primer rather than BECCA Cosmetics - which can leave a white cast of my face and will pill (create little white balls of product) like crazy. That being said, MUFE's mattifying primer will pill on you too. It's due to the silicone in the product. As long as you remember to dab this product into your skin and NOT RUB it in, you should be fine.

Also, don't get the full size product. I bought the travel size back in January it's lasted me 8 MONTHS! A little bit goes a long way!
Cindy V.
Cindy V.
I have very oily and dry skin on my face . I've try many primer in the past and it doesn't seem to fit me or breaks me out . I was talking to a friend of mine and had recommend me to try make-up forever mattlfying primer the traveling size first to see if I like it . I honestly fell in love with when I first use , not knowing how much it can and help your face . Ever since then I end up buying the bigger tube which it would be 37 plus taxes 40 around there . This primer is worth it and probably will not switch back to any primer anytime soon lol I haven't use all the mini one yet and still have the big tube I haven't open , so it will last you a long time .
Summer C.
Summer C.
Suffolk, VA
I would say this is very similar to Smashbox primer, but even better. The texture is thicker. I have very dry skin and a lot of dry patches and texture around my nose, which makes applying foundation and concealer very tricky sometime. Even with really good foundation, it tends to breakup and cling to my dry patches around my nose. I only use this primer around my nose area and under my eyes. It helps smooth out the texture and help foundation glue to my skin so much better. On the days that i feel i need extra help, i always use this one. Other more normal skin days, i would just use smashbox primer. but i think they are both really good.
Kiera C.
Kiera C.
Charlotte, NC
I have never tried a make up forever primer because I heard the redness targeting primer didn't set into the face. Is this true for all of their primers?
Rebecca R.
Rebecca R.
Cumberland Gap, TN
I've just started using this product and I can't seem to get it to blend well into my skin. It seems to flake off. Anyone else have this problem?
Lanae S.
Lanae S.
Waverly, NY
Beauty Junkie Expert
I just received this in my Sephora box, an im unsure when im supposed to use it!?
Isobel K.
Isobel K.
Aren't they a few versions of this primer? Which is the best one?
Kwanae M.
Kwanae M.
Copley, OH
Beauty Junkie Expert
Ladies honestly do you really see any benefit of primer? What about just finding the right foundation that doesn't need a primer? Does primer really live up to the hype? Follow me on IG- 1southernbelle_ I'll follow you back!