BY MAD MEN #61 in TV

• What is this show about? I've been wanting to start it but I'm no...6 Answers
  • Anyone else feel such a strong love hate relationship with don dr...5 Answers
  • Why do all the great shows end so fast?1 Answers
Mad Men
  • "This show is intriguing and I love the costume and time period setting, but sometimes it is really slow and I feel like a lot of the plot is implied which sometimes makes it hard to follow." in 14 reviews
  • "I didn't really think I would like the show when I first started watching... By season 2 I was hooked, and I was drooling over all the fabulous dresses..." in 10 reviews
  • "Well acted, well written and beautifully produced, this how is one for the ages." in 9 reviews
  • "All I can say is I want more Don and Betty interaction in any capacity - Jon Hamm and January Jones have amazing chemistry. " in 8 reviews
  • "I started watching it in season 2 and with the way that it's filmed it takes a while to learn all the story lines and to understand why one character staring at a fruit for five minutes not saying anything is so poignant." in 7 reviews
Joi J.
Concord, NC
Pop Culture Expert
If you get like to get lost in a time long ago then this is the show for you! Now the very first episode starts off a littttle slow, but just get through that first 10 to 15 minutes and you will be hooked!! It takes you right back to a simpler, but still complex time in our history, where news wasn't 24 hours a day and families still gathered around the table to eat meals together and a lot of wives still stayed home to take care of the family while the husband worked. Yet, it was still the time where many women where entering the workforce and venturing out of just the typical secretary role and playing bigger roles in society such as become Ad Exec and so forth. This show will take you on a roller coaster ride from start to finish, and to a time when you could still openly smoke in the office and it was rude not to offer a business associate a drink before the start of a meeting. So sit back and settle down to a glimpse into the lives of MAD MEN, you will not regret it one bit!
Patricia G.
Pop Culture Expert
I have love for this series. They do a great job of making you feel like you are in that era. I do feel like there were some plots that they either forgot about or didn't feel like closing (like someone's baby). Some episodes can get a little boring, which is why I only gave it 4 stars. Don is a terrible person, but I guess that is part of his appeal. This show is definitely for someone who likes shows from the 60s or about office drama. If you are off put by too much unnecessary conversation I would stay away. There is a LOT of character interaction that has nothing to do with anything. The acting is great and they really make the characters come to life. Just wish there wasn't so much fluff in between plots.
Katherine V.
Las Cruces, NM
Pop Culture Expert
The greatest show ever to be shown on television. Did you like the Gray Gatsby? Do you like vintage clothes? Then you will love Mad Men. Jon Hamm is superb in his role as Don Draper. The whole production staff is amazing as no detail is out of context. Everything is perfect.
Hanna G.
The Woodlands, TX
Just started this show after finishing boardwalk empire and desperately searching for something to fill the whole in my heart. This show is doing just that! At first I thought all the cig smoking would bother me too much but I hardly even noticed it after one season. You will not regret watching this show! If you love period pieces, this one is for you.
Tony R.
BROOKLYN, NY
I heard so much about this show being one of the best things since sliced bread. I was watching and waiting for this epiphany to come to me, but it never did. It was just hum drum average for me. I had to stop after two seasons. I just couldn't take the mediocrity anymore. It was mostly boring to me. It might have been great and riveting if it was really the 60s like in the show, but there was no "edge" to it for me.
Nora L.
Hattiesburg, MS
This is one of my all-time fave shows. The costumes, the quips, the period drama. I'm so sad it's over! I have seen this OnDemand and in used DVD stores for like $6 a season, so if you didn't want it but want to get absorbed into a classy midcentury melodrama I highly recommend this!
Sara M.
Meriden, CT
Pop Culture Expert
I LOVE the old school fashion and beauty throughout each season. Betty Draper's hair is to die for! I received a compliment saying that I looked like her one time and I was in awe. This show is fantastic, taking you through the different time periods and how men and women are treated differently. I think Joan is absolutely gorgeous.
Lesley S.
Washington, DC
Last night, I stayed up until two in the morning watching an entire season’s worth of MAD MEN on AMC. I remember seeing previews of it long before ( yes, I am addicted to the AMC channel. I like old movies, what can I say?!) and my interest was piqued if only for the fact that they used an Amy Winehouse track in the trailers. This was a while back and I had honestly forgotten about it, but here I was on a rainy Friday night, curled up on the couch in pjs with the remote at the ready. I saw the full seasonon the menu and decided to give it a go.The plotline basically follows a bunch of competitive ad men in New York in the early 60s. What I found most interesting was the behavior of damn near everyone in the office. All the main guys are married and of course all of them are sleeping with secretaries, models hired for ad campaigns, phone operators..just about anyone who comes through the doors.All the women on the show look so prim and proper with their ladylike skirts and blouses and they all fit the stereotype of women of that era I suppose in that their sole purpose in finding work was to find a husband. (Once they realized that all the men in the office are married, they, I guess like a certain sort of woman, learn to settle with being the woman on the side)Of course, my potential ADD raddled brain got distracted trying to keep track of the amount of cigarettes smoked on this show. MeinGott! People were just smoking for no damn reason at all.Can’t sleep at night? Roll over and have a smoke. Kids sitting at the table having dinner. Sit with them and smoke. One lady had just had a kid, breasts leaking milk even and she’s lighting up! We get it we get it EVERYONE SMOKED BACK THEN!!! Aside from that distracting aspect of the show, overall its pretty good.
Ashley S.
Elizabethtown, KY
I was a latecomer to the Mad Men phenomena, but I'm pretty happy that I got on board with this one! The plots and storylines for this drama series are so carefully crafted with such fine attention to detail you never find yourself noting holes, or unexplained moments. You are constantly given parallels between even the most unlikely of characters forcing you to recognize that anyone can share common ground.

The characters are magnificently developed over the course of the current five seasons and it's an outrage that even after winning many series awards not one actor has been awarded for this show. The entire cast is excellent. Watching Don Draper (Jon Hamm) evolve into the man he is now, knowing his very different and simple background is obviously the main story, but the supporting cast is just as deserving of rave reviews. My personal favorite is Peggy Olson (Elisabeth Moss) who has grown into an independent woman during a point in history where business truly was a man's world.

There is comedy, there are many historical elements intertwined, and there is a connection to this show that viewers develop that will always leave you wanting more. I, for one, cannot wait to see where creater/producer Matthew Weiner takes us next season and if you're still debating on whether or not to watch this show, give it a chance and I'm sure you'll feel the same way.

Most notable episode: Season 4, episode 7 "The Suitcase"
Rachel Y.
Winston Salem, NC
If you love the 60s glam and all that went along with it, you'll love this show. While I think it's worth acknowledging that it is completely bias to the wealthy white world, they do portray it dead on. The details, the clothes, the lifestyle. Everything. It takes a few episodes to get into it as well, but once you do, you're hooked.
Allie K.
Colby, KS
Favorite Mad Men character?
Sybil Y.
Oakland, CA
Anyone know when the next season is coming out?
Yaneth H.
Lynwood, CA
Which character do you like the least?
Amanda G.
Pop Culture Expert
What is this show about? I've been wanting to start it but I'm not sure.
Shaunna D.
Pine bush, Ny
Anyone else feel such a strong love hate relationship with don draper?