BY MAC COSMETICS #3 in Lipstick

A lipstick with hundreds of hues. The iconic product that made M·A·C famous.

Formulated to shade, define and showcase the lips. Hundreds of hues, high-fashion textures. The iconic product that made M·A·C famous.

Teen Vogue 2014 Readers Choice Beauty Awards: Best Red (Ruby Woo)

• Amplified: cream finish

• What MAC lipstick is your favorite? 326 Answers
  • Whats your favorite MAC lipstick? Mine are shy girl and hue MAC ...15 Answers
  • Is it true if you take empty containers you get a free product?179 Answers
MAC Lipstick
  • "These are some of my favorites and they have so many colors to choose from The color is long lasting and the smell of vanilla is a keeper" in 475 reviews
  • "I have also tried MAC's foundation and eye liner, and must say, this is the best makeup I have used in a very long time." in 277 reviews
  • "My most often worn shades are Saint Germaint(baby pink), Ruby Woo(red), Snob(blu tone pink), Heroine(purple), Yash(creamy neutral),Creme de Nude(best nude), So Chaud(Orange),Blankety(taupe)and Candy Yum Yum(bright pink)" in 180 reviews
  • "I love the many different colors you can choose from and they last all day and night even if you are drinking a beverage it eating. " in 141 reviews
  • "Love Mac lipstick one of my favorite products I'm a big fan of matte type lipsticks and this is just rite and it goes on smooth I recommend that you try :) you won't go wrong" in 134 reviews
Brianna R.
I recently was able to travel to Chicago and go to a MAC store! I have only ever been to a MAC counter once in my whole life and I fell in love instantly with everything I saw! Everything was absolutely beautiful, and I was devastated when I didn't have the money to purchase anything. But, when I went to Chicago, I finally was able to go to a complete MAC store and I was in Heaven! From my first visit to a counter, I knew the exact things I wanted. I wanted some matte lipstick!

I would like to state that MAC lipstick is seen as expensive, and I really don't think people should think it's overly expensive. I bought two lipsticks for $34 and they're so pigmented and amazing, all you need is one swipe and you can cover your whole entire lip. $17 for a lipstick that will last you years is definitely not too expensive!

The packaging is so sleek and amazing, as well. The bullets close with a nice click that lets you know it's good for the go. The smooth feeling of the bullet is just perfect. It really does feel like luxury makeup without being tacky. The bullet even has small sparkles in it that makes the encasing shine so beautifully! One of the lipsticks I bought was Ariana Grande's Viva Glam matte lipstick, which is a gorgeous color. But what's really cool is that the bullet is specially made. Instead of silver detailing, the detailing is a gorgeous red color, which even has Ari's signature written on the inside! The box it came in is plain black with red, foil-plated signature on it, as well. The packaging is to die for, and I can imagine myself keeping the packaging forever!

Ari's Viva Glam matte lipstick is supposed to be the 'bad girl' shade while her lipglass is the 'good girl' shade. I was torn between which one to grab, the gloss or the stick. I am so happy that I grabbed the lipstick! It is the most beautiful deep, red-purple shade I have ever seen. It's so deep, it looks black inside of the container! But I promise that it is a gorgeous plum shade that is just to die for! It glides onto the lips like butter, but dries down to be an amazing matte shade that lasts forever! I did find that some transferred off when I started to drink and eat, but the stain of it lasts on your lips and it's so easy to reapply, I don't complain!

The next shade I got is a cult classic. No, it's not Ruby Woo! It's Velvet Teddy, another amazing matte shade that is drool worthy. It's a jaw-dropping pink/nude shade that makes your lips look natural but better than ever. If you're looking for the perfect your-lips-but-better shade, Velvet Teddy is it! It's a lipstick that you put on once and cannot get enough of! I absolutely love the color payoff and just how long these lipsticks last.

What's great about the lipsticks, as well, is that they are so creamy, even though they are matte. They are not drying on the lips at all. It actually feels like there's nothing on your lips! I couldn't be happier with the formulas! A hidden bonus that I never knew, as well, is that the lipsticks smell like cookies! They aren't overbearingly sweet smelling, so you won't smell them all day long, and they don't make me nauseous like most sweet scents do. They scent is so subtle, but is the best little surprise in the whole world!

If you're cautious when it comes to buying these shades, please release your suspicions and purchase some MAC lipstick! It's the best lipstick I have ever tried in my whole entire life and I cannot wait to get the money to buy more lipsticks, and other products, from them.

If you read this whole entire review, make sure to comment some of your favorite MAC products so I can try those out and review them next. I would love some recommendations from my combination skin friends! <3
Sarah Z.
I highly recommend that all lipstick lovers pick up at least one MAC lipstick if they haven't already! I remember the luxurious feeling of buying my very first one fairly recently. The lipstick bullets are sleek and modern, and look awesome in your acrylic lipstick holder. But that's not really the important part.

My favorite finish of MAC lipsticks is definitely the mattes. I currently own Whirl, Men Love Mystery, and So Select. So Select was a limited edition shade available for MAC's Select members earlier this year. It's a pretty "dirty rose" shade and the color is a "your lips but better" one for me, subtle but pretty. Whirl is probably the second most "wearable" shade after So Select. It's darker than So Select on me, although also described as a "Dirty Rose" by MAC's website. Seeing at theme here? Men Love Mystery is definitely a unique shade. If you've ever wanted a matte electric lavender, this is the one for you! I never would've picked this shade for myself, but when a girl from school with similar features to mine looked fabulous in it, I had to pick it up. I wear it more in the Spring and Summer because I like the way it looks with a bit of a tan, and it's just a more vibrant color.

MAC's matte lipstick formulation is spot-on. They don't dry out my lips or settle in the lines, emphasizing dryness. Instead, they're creamy while still being matte, and the scent is amazing. One of the best parts of MAC lipstick, to me, is the vanilla scent they all have. I highly recommend trying a few MAC lipsticks in the store and going swatch-crazy on your hand. They have a variety of finishes available and hundreds of colors, so you're bound to find one you love.
Natasha G.
Clifton, NJ
I own several MAC lipsticks (five, to be exact) and I think they're pretty good quality. They're creamy and have pleasant smell and they last a decent amount of time. Obviously they transfer easily, since we're not talking about matte liquid lipsticks here, but that's something to be expected when you purchase lipsticks that come in tubes. The reasons I'm giving them three stars, however, is that, first of all, for whatever reason the shape of these lipsticks makes them incredibly difficult to apply, at least for me. I've used many other lipstick brands and no other lipstick shape gives me as much trouble as that of MAC's lipsticks. It's strange because when you look at photos and when you look at the lipstick in person, the shape seems pretty generic and normal. Another thing I don't like is that they're kind of dry, so my lips always feel dehydrated with these. And finally, while $17 isn't too bad for high-end lipsticks, I just don't find them so mind-blowing to be worth that price. I don't buy from MAC anymore since I no longer buy from brands that test on animals, but if this wasn't an issue, I still wouldn't repurchase these lipsticks as I don't find them amazing enough to revisit.
Lauren Y.
San Francisco, CA
This review is for the Ruby Woo and Heroine retro matte lipsticks. I very much like these lipsticks when layered on top of MAC pro long wear lip pencils in matching shades (those are lip liners but work best when applied all over your lips). Combined, they make for an extremely long wear. Some say all day, but I eat a lot and often, so it only makes it so far. They have that perfect dry matte retro finish, if you're into that look (which I am). Your lips will feel dry after using these products, but they will not kiss off easily (unless you're a messy kisser). I recommend wearing Chapstick to bed at night, wiping/washing it off in the morning, then applying MAC pro long wear lip pencil and retro matte lipstick to freshly clean, dry lips. The nightly moisturization should be enough to keep your lips from cracking during the day so you can enjoy this look without discomfort. One thing to note is that not all MAC retro matte lipsticks have the same dry consistency as the Ruby Woo and Heroine ones. I have tried other colors, and despite having the exact same packaging and "retro matte" name, they do not have the dry/intact feel and will smear/kiss off easily.
lauren a.
I have mixed feelings about this mac lipsticks on one hand i love the ones i have but on the other i have had ones that weren't great. I find the formulas very some or better then others. I do love the color selection and the formula selection there one of the bigger ones out there. The cute little packaging is always nice to carry around or display. You get a lot of product for the amount of money they are and if your an mua you can get a discount on mac whitch is always a plus. On some formulas they last for hours but they do come off and wear in areas were you may be drinking or eating. On some of the more "wet" formulas they don't always las hours it all depends on what your doing but i have had one lipstick last about 30 minutes and wear off and personally i don't like that i don't have time for it nor do i think its worth the price. This is not the case with all the lipstcisk is why i give it a 4 out of 5 rating. This lipstick is not kiss or smudge proff so its very easy to get it other places but honestly use a lipliner and your good. Over all the color range and formulation is great just love me some mac!
Gicar S.
I know that liquid lipstick is all the rage nowadays but mac lipstick will always be my go to holy grails. The matte, retromatte, cremesheens, cremes, lustre I love the formula of every single one. There's colors for every skintone, every occasion it's amazing. They have a sweet vanilla scent and it's so light if you are sensitive to smell it won't bother. For my skintone (mac NC45 for reference) the shades Ruby woo, creme in your coffee, freckletone, heroine, flat out fabulous, velvet teddy, taupe are my absolute all time favorites and they look gorgeous on my skintone and I could imagine any skintone. Mac also has a back to mac program I believe you return 4-6 empty containers of lipstick, eyeshadow, face products doesn't matter as long as its back to mac eligible (you can double check on Google or look for a logo on the back) you return those and get a free lipstick,eyeshadow etc. It's pretty neat I don't know any other company that gives you something free back for your empty container. I love mac will always love mac.
Chloe H.
Royal Oak, MI
Review for: Pink Pearl Pop
I do love Mac lipsticks but my main complaint is how easily they come off when eating/drinking but I have yet to find a brand that doesn't, except maybe the Kylie lip kit but I find that way too drying on my sensitive lips. Anyway, I love love love the large variety of shades Mac carries because whenever I'm in a hurry to find a specific color 5 minutes before a formal event that I procrastinated being ready for, I can trust that I'll find it at the Mac store within a couple minutes. My favorite, must have shades of Mac are the matte "smoked purple" and "velvet teddy" I've found that as long as I have these 2 shades in my bag I'll be ready for any type of event, the smoked purple looks GREAT on fair skinned people, I have red hair and green eyes which just makes it that much better. The velvet teddy is better for my everyday lipstick shade, usually pinks like this wash me out but with this I always get compliments. Definitely recommend picking these up! (also LOVE the smell, like cake)
Destini W.
Carson , CA
I've been a MAC fan since I first started makeup and I still am. I love their products, except for the retro matte lipsticks. I've had Ruby Woo, and it just wasn't working out. It dried my lips out too much, even after I moisturized them, and left them cracking. And the formula itself wasn't very pigmented on my lips so it was hard to get the color payoff I wanted, as I had seen how popular it was with people of all colors. Don't get me wrong their other lipsticks and everything else they sell is amazing, but the retro mattes need to be looked at again. Instead of those, especially with Ruby Woo's popularity, I would recommend ColourPop for an alternative. They sell matte lipsticks, and they're dry, but they have liquid lipsticks so they go on smoother, or their lippie sticks, and the color pay off is amazing plus they have so many colors it's ridiculous so there is something for everyone. And the price is cheaper, so that's also a plus.
Lyndsay N.
Kansas City, MO
Review for: Sushi Kiss
I am such a HUGE Star Trek fan, so I was very excited when this collaboration was announced. I did pickup this lipstick, and I really like it! It is very comfortable to wear, and is nicely pigmented (what else would you expect from a MAC lipstick, though? Lol). I don't wear this one as often as Where No Man Has Gone Before, which has been my everyday color since I bought it, though. I don't really wear LLAP as often, because, like I said, I have that other color that I love and the novelty hasn't worn off yet, haha. I do like mixing LLAP as almost a lipstick topper. Its beautiful with lots of shades, or on the center of your bottom lip to make them look a bit plumper and to get that "glossy" look without lip gloss if you aren't a gloss fan. Overall, this is a stunning and versatile lipstick with beautiful packaging. I would recommend picking it up if you like it, because it is limited edition!
Jing Y.
Sunnyvale, CA
I bought two MAC lipsticks : Morange and Ruby Woo.

In fact Morange was my first strong color lipstick. An eye catching neon bright orange that it surprisingly good looking not only to fair or dark skin tones, but looks good on yellow toned skin. Normally a neon color will render a yellow tone lifeless. This lipstick however does not have that side effect. Pigmentation is on point. The texture glides OK with a little dryness. But I'd love to hydrate my lips while doing other part of make up, so when I move on to lips, they are not chipped. On a daily basis, I would like to wear it sheer by dotting it lightly on my lips and blend it. Such a youthful and happy color.

Ruby woo was bought when I was in Paris with my friends. We had to go to two MAC stores to get each one a ruby woo. The blue undertone works wonder in whitening the teeth. And the rich red is just perfect for winter time.
Tracy M.
What MAC lipstick is your favorite?
Corie C.
Charlotte, NC
Is it true if you take empty containers you get a free product?
Karina A.
Is it really worth buy a Mac Lipsticks??
patty a.
Whats your favorite MAC lipstick?
Davia G.
Huntsville, AL
Beauty Junkie Expert
Would the fact that a portion of all sales given to a charity make you want to purchase it more?