Add a Photo

By MAC COSMETICS
#4 in Eyeshadow

A long-wearing blendable cream shadow that can be worn alone or with other products.

Photos (162)
Rita W.
Rita W.

When purchasing some staple MAC products at Saks recently, I allowed one of the makeup artists to give me a mini makeover and try some products I hadn't used before. When she showed me the eyeshadow she was going to use, the MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pot in color "Let Me Pop," I was nervous because the color is a bright copper, and I wear neutral, subtle eye shadow shades. I worried that I would end up looking like someone on Halloween or a club kid. Surprisingly, the color was much more subtle when it was applied, and looked amazing on. I always use MAC powder eyeshadows, and know they are high pigment and like them for that reason, but happily found that the eyeshadow in the paint pot does not appear as pigmented on your skin as it looks in the pot. The copper color gave me a pretty, noticeable but subtle brightness in my eyes that was very flattering. The product felt great on, like a nice comforting balm - but not oily or like it was dripping on my eyelids. It also didn't get tight like some liquid to power eyeshadows seem to do, as this isn't a liquid to shadow formula. I now use the MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pot often, almost every day, along with some neutral colors from the MAC powder eyeshadows. I don't think you could do your entire eye makeup using the paint pots, as you likely wouldn't be able to get enough definition/difference between them to truly serve as a noticeable base color, highlight, and crease color, but using one as a base, or a highlight, works great while using other colors in powder.
Cailee M.
Cailee M.
Cincinnati, OH

I feel no need to look any further for an HG cream eyeshadow base, because this is it. Primer and base in one. MAC Bare Study and Soft Ochre are my staples, and they are what I will continue to buy, forever and ever amen.

I think everyone knows what Bare Study looks like, so I won't go into detail about the shade. Simplistic but beautiful neutral champagne beige with gold shimmer. I've had mine for about a year, and I'm so relieved that it hasn't started to dry out, or separate itself from the container. Just make sure that when you close these, the lid is not only closed, but closed very tight, after each use.
I don't know how others use their paint pots for them to crease, but mine never crease on me....EVER. The only minor problem I have is that it dries very quickly on me, for some reason, so if I want to apply another thin layer on my eyelid, I'll have to work rather quickly (maybe it's because I have somewhat dry skin on my eyelids?).

I can use Bare Study with anything, and it just makes the color appear so much more vibrant and gives it more depth (as with any base; what more do you need, really?). It creates the perfect canvas, and lasts all day until I take it off at night with makeup remover.

Could this be used alone? My answer is yes, but it's a very subtle, low maintenance color, so building up the color is absolutely necessary. Would I purchase this IF I ever ran out? Absolutely. I would repurchase it the SECOND I ran out.
Brookelynne T.
Brookelynne T.
Clearfield, PA

I cannot, I mean it cannot do a flawless make up application on myself or my clients with out my awesome always amazing Mac Paint Pots!!!! If you haven't tried them I do t know what your waiting for!!! There is no other primer/base for eyeshadows that works so well and amazingly like Mac Paint Pots! They come in so many different shades and colors to fit anyone's need and any look you want to achieve! My 2 Faves are of course Mac Paint Pots in Painterly and Soft Ochre!!! They are the bomb, literally everything and keep my eyeshadow on point and looking exactly how I wanted it to and applied it from the minute I do apply it to the minute I take it off, over 24+ hours!?! And Mac Paint Pots are so much better than any other eyeshadow base or eyeshadow primer I've ever ever used and I've tried them all, I may like some others but nothing is better or beats out these bad boys! They not only provide a long lasting base for your shadows to stay flawless all day, but they also cover any imperfections, veins and or oiliness on your eyelids! They are amazing because unlike allot of primers this creamy paint pot applies nice and evenly and drys to a nice almost powder finish so you do bot have to set you eyeshadow primer or base you can just go ahead and start you eyeshadow look! I love these can't live without then and own multiple because I never ever want to run out!
Leigh F.
Leigh F.
Tualatin, OR

If you want to make your eyeshadow stay all day and pop a bit more than just using them on bare skin, get one of these paint pots. I have the MAC paint pot in painterly. Its basically the color of my skin. Apply with a finger to cover any veins on your eyelids or just even out the color of your eyelid. Its a very thin consistency, not oily at all. It dries down pretty quickly but I like to set with a matte white or light colored eyeshadow as well before going in to build an eye look for the day. I will say it works best with eyeshadows in a pan - or already pressed shadows. Any loose shadows I have that I'd normally apply with my finger just don't stick to Painterly very well. I'll continue to try working with those on freshly applied Painterly though to see if that works. Pro tip: If you wear glasses, apply some skin colored paint pot to the bridge of your nose and set with powder. You won't get glasses marks through out the day. I really really wish I had bought this paint pot years ago. I"m a huge makeup addict and MAC paint pots have been on my wishlist for YEARS. So glad I finally picked one up.
brittany h.
brittany h.
Flemington, WV

This is one of them must have products. It's the best eyeshadow primer, imo. I have big eyes and my eyelids have a lot of tiny little veins that you can see through my eye shadow if I'm not wearing this underneath, and I hate that.. so this is the perfect answer to my problem. It gives a nice, even base for your shadow. It doesn't crease, and it makes your makeup last all day long. I just saw a video on youtube where this girl applies this to her nose underneath her primer and foundation as a type of hack to prevent meltdown of the foundation, and she swears by it.. I can't wait to try this out because it doesn't matter what I use whenever i put on a full face, my nose ends up completely bare within a few hours! It looks so ridiculous having a beat face with a bare, red nose. lol so I'm excited to try this out. I have also used to under my eyes to help conceal my dark circles before applying concealer, and I swear by it. I definitely recommend trying this out, I don't think you'll regret it.
Ellyn M.
Ellyn M.
Detroit, MI

This stuff is The Truth! I have the worst oily eyelids this stuff allows me to wear my color with confidence for up to 18 hours. I even went to a yoga class with it on while sweating and my eyes were still flawless. I love to start all eye colors with groundwork. I also have a gold and metallic brown when I want to get fancy with colors in those families. This is a must have for anyone with oily lids who struggle with making it an entire day with their eyes intact. You can also add this to trouble spots on your face before you use concealer to control oil in your oily spots on your face. Oh and it lasts for years. A little goes a long way. I also find that using the groundwork paintpot in your oily zones helps keep the oil at bay throughout the day.  Put it on in the areas that you'd put your concealer, under the eye, cupid's bow, chin eyelids and center of forehead before concealer and foundation.  Trust me it works like magic.  It doesn't feel heavy either.
Kristin F.
Kristin F.
Trabuco Cyn, CA

Super creamy and luxurious! The paint pots are the best eye bases for any look. You should set them with shadows to prevent creasing, but they are absolutely beautiful on their own if you have dry skin. Do you have oily lids? You'll definitely want to set with a powder or shadow! Try a translucent setting powder if you wan to retain their true colors! My favorite is definitely Soft Ochre because I have fair skin. A lot of YouTubers and beauty bloggers love Painterly - but Ivory or Fair girls & boys should stick to Soft Ochre. The darker colors are amazing bases for dramatic shadow looks as they will make your look last without getting patchy throughout the day. I would definitely keep it simple and apply these with your ring finger. No need to complicate these with brushes that will waste product. One pot should last you a year if worn everyday and a lifetime if only worn for special occasions or holidays.
Susana T.
Susana T.
Oakland, CA

Currently I only own two paint pots and they are in the color Painterly and Stormy Pink. Painterly is a cult classic because of its buildable coverage over the lid can be used as a primer, shadow, under brow highlight, concealer on some people to name some of its uses. Overall, it's a good base when set with a powder lightly. This helps stabilize the slightly creamy finish of the paint pot to ensure the colors you try to blend on top of the paint pot base don't tug or come off patchy. As for Stormy Pink, it's a really understated color especially in the transition from winter to spring. It's a lovely mauve with Greyish undertones. It's buildable and can be blended out and worn on it's own; because I had hooded lids I always opt to add shadow on top tho so it makes a great base for a smoky eye and even everyday wear depending on skin tone.
Nena C.
Nena C.

I was so excited when I finally got painterly, I have heard nothing but good things about it. I tried it, loved the texture and how easy to apply it was, how it covered all my veins on my eyes and very close match to my skin tone. Eyeshadows applied nicely and everything, but... I don't have a problem with my eyeshadow creasing with any base I use. Have tried ud and toofaced eye primers, Maybelline color tattoos and elf smude pots as my base and my eyeshadow lasts forever with all of them but I wanted a skin like color and what a disappointment , even my favorite formula of eyeshadows did not last on my eyelids, at the end of the day my eyeshadow looked terrible like if I have not use an eye primer or worse, still give them a try with different eyeshadow formulas but still the same.
Brittany D.
Brittany D.
E Liverpool, OH

This is suuuuch an amazing product. I'm sure you've heard of it at least once before. This is so raved about but it actually does everything it claims to and is so worth it. This is seriously the best eyeshadow primer but even on 'no makeup' makeup days when you don't want to wear shadow but maybe want to brighten up your lids and cover any darker undertones, this is great for that too.
Painterly is great if you're a lighter or fair skin tone even up to tan. It's more of a peachy pale color.
Soft ochre is for the same skin tones but has more of a yellow undertone than nude or peach.
My favorite, however, is Layin Low. This is more peach and works even on darker skin tones. It kind of color corrects and makes your eyes appear so smooth and bright. I highly recommend this product!
Kayla B.
Kayla B.
Kalamazoo, MI

Does this crease at all?
Myranda D.
Myranda D.
Gresham, OR

What shades do you wear?
Emily N.
Emily N.
Alexandria, VA

Do you prefer this alone or do you use it as a primer?
Marie T.
Marie T.
Avondale, LA

What's your favorite Paint Pot shades?
Heather
Heather

It's there a special brush that you can use?

Join Now