BY M.A.C. COSMETICS #4 in Face Oil

A unique oil that leaves skin feeling energized and moisturized with a healthy glow.

FULL DESCRIPTION

Infused with natural properties derived from plants, making it nourishing and gentle for the skin. Leaves skin feeling energized and moisturized with a healthy glow. This unique oil can be used alone, under makeup or mixed with a treatment or makeup to improve comfort, emollience or wear of product. Grapefruit & Chamomile scent.

KEY CLAIMS AND BENEFITS

• Soothes, clarifies and conditions skin
  • Improves radiance
  • Hydrating
  • Dermatologist tested
  • Ophthalmologist tested
  • Non-acnegenic

USAGE

• Smooth four to five drops of oil over cleansed skin or combine with moisturizer or foundation and blend over skin.
  • Smooth approximately four drops of oil over cleansed skin on the face and/or combine approximately four to five drops of the oil with your daily face or body moisturizer.

M.A.C Cosmetics Prep + Prime Essential Oils Grapefruit & Chamomile
  • "Yasssss! I love this oil has lots of essentials in it super hydrating I mix it or pat it on my face when I do my make up I mean who doesn't love a hydrated face even with a beat face I'm ugh hello lol but yes definitely a must grab and I recommend good for all skins not to pricy but definitely worth it I'm actually running low on some so I'm gonna have to grab some mor!! " in 127 reviews
Maria G.
Poteet, TX
Purchased at: Macy's
directions above are WRONG
August 2, 2009
This is a fantastic makeup removing cleanser. It gets all of my makeup off. Waterproof makeup included. I've been using this for several months and I absolutely love it. It works beautifully, but only if you use it right.

The above directions say: "Step 1: Wash your hands to remove bacteria and dirt. Step 2: Remove any makeup. Step 3: Splash your face with luke warm water.Step 4: Lather a small amount of cleanser between your hands. Step 5: Cleanse from the neck up to the hairline in a circular motion.Step 6: Rinse with warm water and pat dry."

These are WRONG.

This is a makeup removing cleanser, so I don't get why the directions are telling you to remove all your makeup beforehand. And then they say to "lather" the product? This stuff doesn't lather when it touches water. It emulsifies, and turns into milky foam so that it can rinse off your face cleanly. Once it emulsifies, it can't break down your makeup anymore.

This is why the directions according to MAC say that you're supposed to use it dry.

I dispense the oil onto dry hands, rub them together a bit to get the oil evenly coated, and then I rub the oil onto my dry, makeup-covered face. I only use about 3 pumps for my whole face and neck.

Then I gently rub/massage my eyes in circular motions for about 30-45 seconds, and the same with the rest of my face, devoting about 20-30 seconds to each area that needs to be cleansed. (This goes with basically all cleansers. They need time to get into the makeup and break it down, so you can get it off your face.)

Then I rinse with plenty of water. The oil emulsifies really well and it rinses nicely. It doesn't leave a film, just very slight residue.

Then, if you want, you can follow up with your regular cleanser. This oil is designed to just remove makeup, not necessarily to fix other skin problems that you might have (though I find that the residue can have a slightly moisturizing effect). Since I'm very acne prone, I tend to use my regular acne face wash afterward.

This is the only product that I have used that has gotten rid of all of my makeup on my face, and it does it without irritating my skin or breaking it out. The skin around my eyes is so sensitive that if I use regular eye makeup remover, it burns and becomes raw, making even blinking uncomfortable. As for the rest of my face, other cleansers, wipes included, were leaving bits of makeup behind, so my acne flared up because I hadn't gotten everything off, and was putting fresh makeup on top of the previous day's remnants (ew!!!). Since this gets everything off, my skin has improved.

The texture of the oil is really nice. It's not too thick or too thin. And the smell, a faint lemony scent, is nice too. It's so mild you hardly notice it.

One bottle should last you a while. I've had mine since January, and I still have enough left for at least another month.

One more thing is that you don't want to use this for minor touch ups to your makeup. Unless you rinse it off, It'll leave an oily coating there, messing up whatever makeup you try to put on top. It's more suited to remove everything from your face.

Again, this is a fantastic cleanser that does exactly what it's supposed to do: remove makeup quickly. I plan on repurchasing when I run out.

Thanks for reading my review! I hope it was helpful to you.
Rashell V.
Los Angeles, CA
I'm a huge MAC buyer so I'm always giving MAC the benefit of the doubt for being on the cutting edge of makeup and products. This oil is no exception. I purchased it after seeing it on every make up artist's Instagram feed. Now I know why. I have extremely oily skin and I was on the fence about putting face oil on. But what they say is true. The oil did not make my face oiler. Granted it still gets shiny half way through the day but I'm used to it. My studio fix liquid glides on my skin and stays put all day long. I just wonder how long the bottle will last. Be careful not to put on too much, only 1-2 drops is all you need!
Chasity H.
Arlington, TX
I began using this face oil in December of 2017 I purchased it after getting my makeup done by one of the makeup artist there. It went on perfectly and stopped the appearance of my dry skin flakes, I usually get those in the winter time. After using the oil for 2 consecutive days my face broke out really badly. My face is highly sensitive and the citrus in from the grapefruit cause the breakout. This is a great oil for those that do not have sensitive skin. I gave the oil one star because it caused me to break out I hope this helps! M.A.C Cosmetics Prep + Prime Essential Oils Grapefruit & Chamomile
Emily T.
Mastic, NY
Purchased at: ULTA
My dry skin loves this stuff! I initially discovered this when trying to make matte foundations work for my skin over the summer. I googled tips and Mac fix + came up multiple times. I spray this on after foundation application and it makes my matte foundation feel more comfortable. I also love how it sets make up--powder, concealer, blush, etc all together. I also use this everyday because even when I don't wear foundation, I like to wear a light powder foundation, blush and bronzer. I will use this spray forever! It's worth it.
Jessica C.
Newport News, VA
Purchased at: ULTA
I love the smell of this oil and how soft it leaves my skin. I can’t give this Mac oil five stars because it took a good fifteen minutes to sink into my skin for me to be able to apply makeup on top of it. So it isn’t really a great priming oil but it was nice under my moisturizer in the evening before bed.
Jha V.
Ok so I went on a little panic when they discontinued making this for a short time ( little did I know that they were just re-packaging it adding more options to it). This review is for the original essential oils. I saw one of the top MAc Senior artist incorporate it to their foundation during a masterclass and my foundation game has never been the same. It is a great add-on moisturizer for clients with dry patches, apply a minimal amount to it and foundations won't cling to it. When mixed with foundation, usually just half a pump otherwise it will counteract and have your makeup slip off. But when you get it right, the finish is just gorgeous, you skin but better and looks amazing in photos. Now that it is back in stock with the added scents, I still stick to the original one since I'm very cautious some clients might have a sensitive sense of smell like I do. Must-have status.
Karen M.
Kew Gardens, NY
Purchased at: ULTA
I honesty wasn’t sure about this products but I quickly fell in love with it. I love how it’s smell and it’s so great on my combination skin. Doesn’t leave my skin feeling sticky or greasy I use it before and after I set my foundation on. I now understand why many are using essential oils you really feel a difference. I truly feel a difference in my mood and love thats it’s doesn’t leave my skin lookin caked on. But it’s is a bit pricey but will worth it.
Isabelle S.
Purchased at: Macy's
My skin is combination. It usually starts out dry and gets oily throughout the day. Winter is more brutal on my skin so I love using this oil. The possibilities with this little guy are endless. I can mix a bit in with my moisturizer, foundation, I use a little bit on my lips, I even have used it as a lip mixing medium by adding loose pigments. A must for your makeup kit😉
Hannah K.
I wish I could give a zillion stars for this! This is my holy grail face oil! I only need a few drops for my entire face, it is very gentle on my skin and helps my dry skin! I also use this with my Cream based makeup products, to help the application be more smooth and helps if the makeup is dry, to revive it! I absolutely love this face oil and I highly recommend it!!
Naomi S.
Ocala
i LOVE this product. i have naturally oily skin, so i do not use this all over my face but i use this product to bring out pigments in certain eyeshadows and i also use it to prep my lips for any lipstick that can be drying. this product is great, especially if you're creating an eye look with glitter eyeshadow. if you put some oil on your finger before picking up the eyeshadow, it helps the product stick better and look amazing!
Mary B.
Mission , TX
Do you apply this before the primer? And is it good?
Deyanira M.
Gainesville, GA
Does this product leave your skin oily ? And do you apply it before or to the foundation ?
Alexis L.
Lake Charles, LA
Is this ok on oily skin?
Nikki T.
Rochester, MN
M.A.C Cosmetics Prep + Prime Essential Oils Grapefruit & Chamomile - Has anyone used this product before? Is it safe for sensitive skin?
Mia C.