BY MAC COSMETICS #5 in Lipstick

A creamy rich Lipstick formula with high colour payoff in a no-shine matte finish

The iconic product that made M·A·C famous. This creamy rich formula features high colour payoff in a no-shine matte finish.

• What’s your everyday lipstick? Mine is Persistence by MAC Cosmeti...5 Answers
  • About how long does the lipstick last on your lips? Does it feel ...7 Answers
  • What is your favorite fall lip color? My two favorites are MAC...2 Answers
Buy on ULTA
Natalia O.
Review for: Other
For a retro and matte look, this does it well. It applies fairly well, I think it is a bit drying and you need nicely plumped lips and no flaky lips to wear it well.

I recently got this out and have it another go, maybe it's the darker lip colour trends right now or maybe it's just the change, but I do like this and I guess that's why I bought it originally.

It stays on well. A lip brush will help smooth it out evenly, as alone can look uneven.

I added a gloss, just grabbed one - MAC Nymphette, and applied s little dab to centre of lips and pursed lips together. This added a nice sheen yet subtle boost of needed moisture to it and made it look quite nice. I'm sure there's better options for this but it was a quick experiment so for what it's worth, it turned the lipstick quite wearable and it looked quite glam and sophisticated - I only used a little dab, not a whole lot of gloss over. It just took it from matte to not. And I liked what I saw.

This leaves a nice stain on my lips and with a hint of sheer gloss looks very healthy, I think I bought it to accentuate my naturally pigmented lips - smudged on/ applied and dabbed off also looks nice if not a little dry. However matte lipsticks are like that. The colour is a deep wine mauvey shade that is blue based and leans cool, but could be warmed up with something added over it easily. It is a nice base shade for that reason, I will experiment more.

I will try this again with some different blush and a smoky eye. I think it looks nice with a neutral eye too something with a bit of shimmer to lift the look though I think works best.

For what it is, I like it. Is it something I would repurchase, probably not as I doubt I'll use it up in a hurry and MAC lipsticks do last well without going off.

Rated mid range as price is not inexpensive, it is a wearable colour for what it is, though I'm sure there's something similar and less expensive for the number of times I use this.
Shawna A.
Bradenton, FL
Beauty Junkie Expert
MAC lipstick is iconic. I own over 40 colors and I just keep collecting. I love them all and the matte finish is one of my favorites. Lightweight, creamy, doesn’t skip, long-lasting, full pigment in one swipe, doesn’t accentuate lines or dryness on the lips... pretty much everything you would want in a matte lipstick! The vanilla smell/taste of these totally gives me the warm-fuzzies every time I apply... It always takes me back to that special “right-of-passage into womanhood” moment in high school when I saved up to buy my first shades (Lady Danger and Creme D Nude) and the simple, black bullet component is just perfection. I truly love the quality and shade selection of these lipsticks and there’s a reason these are the number one lipstick in the world... they’re the best! Simple as that. If you haven’t tried these yet, first of all, where have you been?! Secondly, you won’t be disappointed. Matte lips will always be classily beautiful and this is one of the best matte formulas in a traditional lipstick format ever created! 💄🙌🏼❤️
Anielyn M.
Beauty Junkie Expert
MAC has been my favorite brand for lip products thus far.

This review is for the color ‘Whirl’. I think this is the perfect shade of brown for any skin tone. I say that because I️ have bought this lipstick for multiple friends. I think the brown color gives a more “natural” look that is not too overpowering, but you can tell the lip color is there. I think it looks great on everyone i have bought it for and on myself to say the least. You do have to reapply after a couple of hours especially if you’re eating or drinking. The nice thing about ‘Whirl’ being more of a neutral color, is that it is not super noticeable if you wait to reapply a little longer than other colors.

All MAC lipsticks I’ve had are also super light weight and apply nicely. I recommend them all the way.
Rhonda R.
Hastings
Review for: Velvet Teddy
I bought my first MAC lipstick in the shade Velvet Teddy during one of ulta's 21 day sales, I believe the lipstick was on sale for about $9, which is a steal compared to it's usual $17. I don't think I would purchase a lipstick that's above $10, but it does have a very nice creamy formula and the color is gorgeous. I like that it also has a slight vanilla scent, not too overpowering but a nice touch. The color is pigmented and smooth, it does not look splotchy on the lips and is a great nude brown shade for the fall or every day. One of my friends got the same shade and she did say that it was lighter than she expected. I did not have that observation, but maybe others might think it's a deeper brown nude when really it's a more light brown.
Desirae Y.
allendale
Review for: Other
I use my Russian Red MAC lipstick especially during the holidays. I was encouraged to purchase the matte lipstick which has a creamy rich formula and prominent color. It doesn’t dry my lips out or settle in the lines. I tend to top it with the Russian Red lipglass as I like that high gloss glass-like finish. By purchasing both I get the best of both worlds and it really makes everything POP. The lipstick wasn’t overly expensive (~$17) and is a great color with the gloss. However, I’ll stick with a brand of lipstick that doesn’t move around so much (with eating and drinking) and is more affordable.
Lexi D.
Review for: Other
this lipstick is honestly my favorite that’s not liquid! it goes on smoothly & opaque & it lasts a while. i have the color mehr and it’s my go to lipstick when i don’t wanna wear a liquid lipstick. not only that, but it smells really nice. my only complaint is that after a bit it can make my lips feel a bit dry, but since it’s a matte lipstick i figured it would. i still love it to death though and will be purchasing more colors in the future.
Emily A.
Review for: Velvet Teddy, Whirl
MAC Lipsticks are iconic and I don't think any makeup collection is complete without at least one. Over the years many colors have come and gone in my collection and currently I have more than I can count.

The color selection of MAC's lipsticks is probably the widest range on the market and they have numerous finishes as well. My one complaint is that the quality of the formula seems to drastically vary depending on the finish -- and I believe quality should be the same across the board. I usually wear matte and I find sometimes they're matte formula to be a bit hard, making it somewhat difficult to apply.

The pigment of these lipsticks is out of this world, while for me the lasting power is just okay. I definitely have to reapply a few times throughout the day. I also love that you don't have to wear a lip liner with these lipsticks.

I will definitely continue to repurchase these!
Anastasiya S.
Pasadena, CA
Review for: Please Me, Other
This is a wonderful lipstick. It has a truly matte finish, but it doesn't dry out my lips like some other matte lipsticks or lip stains do. It doesn't really smear, and it stays on for a few hours if you don't touch it. It does, however, wear off if you eat or drink, so you might want to have the lipstick with you to reapply when needed. It has a really nice creamy texture and amazing pigment. Over the years I have purchased many colors, from light nude to bright red (Russian Red is gorgeous!). I also like to mix some of the colors to achieve a desired shade - they are pretty easy to mix - and use lipgloss over the lipstick. The price is also very affordable, especially since the lipstick lasts a long time. Highly recommended!
Susan D.
Bear, DE
Review for: Velvet Teddy
I was SO EXCITED when I was randomly given a Macy’s gift card and learned I could use it at the MAC located inside the Center City Philadelphia location. I treated myself to the Velvet Teddy Matte Lipstick, which I’ve had my eye on for awhile. Velvet Teddy is the perfect nude, and despite being a Matte it goes on easily! Make sure you use a scrub and lip balm before application, but other than that I completely recommend getting it!
Tacola J.
Charlotte, NC
Beauty Junkie Expert
Who doesn’t like MAC? Or atleast their wide selection of lip colors? I’m a huge matte girl, I think that it lasts longer on your lips and puts a great ending statement on your finished makeup look. matte looks great with or without makeup. Make sure to moisturize/exfoliate your lips before application so it doesn’t looking like it’s cracking and gives a more polished look. Matte lipsticks are a MUST buy and the price is pretty good!
Angel P.
Los Angeles, CA
About how long does the lipstick last on your lips? Does it feel dry? My lipsticks sometimes feel dry on my lips after sometime and i hate it!!
Grace B.
Albuquerque, NM
Does the lipstick roll on smoothly? Does it last all day?
Fari ✨.
What’s your everyday lipstick? Mine is Persistence by MAC Cosmetics Matte Lipstick
Anne W.
Birmingham, AL
How long does Mac matte lipstick last ?
Mayra A.
La Mesa , CA
Hey chicas what is a fall lip color that makes your heart melt?MAC Cosmetics Matte Lipstick