BY L'ORÉAL PARIS

Oil on the scalp and roots can lead to greasy hair that feels limp and lifeless. For a scalp that feels fresh, and for light lifted roots, discover the purifying power of Extraordinary Clay pre-shampoo mask.

Application tips or Dosage

• Before shampoo, apply the mask delicately onto dry roots using your fingertips. Massage the clay into the scalp, section by section until you’ve covered the entire scalp.
  • Leave for up to 5 minutes to absorb excess oils and impurities.
  • Rinse out the clay while massaging the scalp until the water runs clear.
  • Follow with Extraordinary Clay shampoo and conditioner.

Ingredients

Aqua, kaolin, glycerin, olea europaea oil, cetearyl alcohol, benzyl alcohol, parfum, ci 42090, ci 60730, eucalyptus globulus leaf oil, sodium hyaluronate, stearyl alcohol, stearic acid, peg-8 isostearate, peg-8, argilla, salicylic acid, palmitic acid, xanthan gum, linalool, benzyl salicylate, montmorillonite, caprylyl glycol, alpha-isomethyl ionone geraniol, myristic acid, cetearyl glucoside, citronellol, hexyl cinnamal. F.i.l.: c192214/1

Destiny B.
Germantown, MD
I recently received a sample of this as shampoo & conditioner and I wanted to try the mask so my roommate purchased it. I gave it a try and I'm fairly impressed. I thought it would leave my hair feeling gooey and I would have a hard time waking it out. You put it on dry hair which I thought would be gross but it wasn't to bad. It washes out very easily and left no nasty residue at all. My hair felt pretty great after one use. I definitely recommend this to anyone with oily hair.
Stephanie R.
el paso texas
I don’t know how I feel about is clay mask. I didn’t have the matching shampoo and conditioner. I used it in the morning, washed it out with shampoo and conditioned with my normal products. Once my hair air dried. I did noticed my roots felt very clean and light, and this last all day until I went to sleep. But the next day I woke up with oily hair so it didn’t last as long as it said it would. It’s alright, but not repurchasing.
Amanda G.
New York , NY
Recently, I’ve been suffering from really oily roots. I’ve never had that issue before! I picked this up at Target because I was so desperate. Turns out it’s so effective! Very easy to use & affordable. Also, a little goes a long way. I’ve hardly made a dent in mine.
Erica T.
Greenwood , SC
This clay mask def helps improve the life of my hair! I don’t have to wash my hair everyday it it’s amazing! You can’t usually find hair products for oily hair but with this there is now something for everyone! Thanks L'Oreal Hair Expertise Extraordinary Clay Mask
Meredith C.
Berkley, MI
First off, I fit this customer product base very well. I have oily roots, and dry ends, and I am typically not able to go more than 2 days without washing my hair because my roots just look greasy and oily. Second, you would get the best results from this when you use as an entire system. I used the shampoo and conditioner on it'ts own one day and I didn't notice anything different or I didn't notice any extra longevity to my hair.

I feel very neutral about the shampoo. It does it's job nicely and leaves my hair feeling nice and clean and hydrated. However, the fragrance is VERY strong and I literally could smell it all day long and it didn't really dissipate at all throughout the day. I used as instructed, to wash the clay mask out of my hair and it did a really nice job of doing just that. I didn't feel like I needed to wash multiple times because it removed the mask fairly easily.

The consistency of the mask was surprisingly very light and airy. I was expecting a more dense clay feel to the actual mask. It massaged very well into my scalp. I left it on for the recommended 5 minutes. There was no tingling sensation or irritation, just more of a slight cooling feel. It was very easy to wash out with the shampoo (and I only gave it one really good wash and everything was out). My scalp did feel nice and clean afterwards, however, on day two it was starting to get a little greasy looking and I had to apply some dry shampoo. The downfall is it is an extra step in your hair routine and if not used for the recommended time, may not work as well.

The conditioner was pretty much your average conditioner. While it did leave my hair soft and hydrated, I could not get over the scent. The scent in the entire line is just way too strong for my liking and I feel like with smells that strong, those can only really be achieved with chemicals and I prefer to avoid extra chemicals in my hair if possible. I feel that I did need a bit more styling product in my hair because the conditioner left my hair so soft, it wouldn't hold much of a style.

I would say this line works well when used as a system - but again, the scent on all three products was just too much for me. If they made this line in a fragrance free option, I would most likely purchase and give it another shot.

As for recommending this, I would not say this is a bad product, I just don't think it really made a big difference in my personal hair. It may very well work for others. I find that using my normal shampoo and conditioner the days I wash and a little dry shampoo applied before I go to bed that night gives me very similar results, if not, better.

I was sent this Extraordinary Clay line from Influenster and Loreal complimentary for testing purposes. My reviews are my own personal opinions based on using the entire line in full multiple times.
Zerlaine P.
Davie, FL
I don't use this as my everyday. But everyday I do, my hair feels smoother, silky, and less brittle. I've got dry thin blond hair and this mask conditions and infuses my hair without weighing it down. I have Moroccan and Bumble products as well, but this is my new fave.
Subira J.
Fayetteville , GA
As a natural haired girl, I was hesitant when Influenster sent me this product because it seemed pretty regular, just your average products. It says it's for oily roots and dry ends to clarify and hydrate.

Step 1: This was the pre-poo (a familiar term for us naturals) of the new Extraordinary Clay line from Loreal! I loved it because it cleansed the scalp and was super creamy. It says to keep it on for 5 minutes, and apply only to the roots, but I kept it on for about 15 minutes because I know my roots had product buildup this wash-day. It didn't dry my roots at all! This was my favorite step in the new product line for sure. If you're looking for a product to clear your roots and have this in hand, go for it. This was my favorite step.

Step 2: Shampoo. This is your average drugstore shampoo, there was nothing special about it at all. It reminded me why I stopped using any old product off of the shelf. I hated this shampoo for 3 reasons. 1. It stripped my hair of ALL oil and I could feel the difference immediately. Which is what the product is supposed to do, so technically I shouldn't be mad. 2. The way my hair felt after I used this shampoo was just horrible. It felt like rubber, limp and lifeless. My hair had lost all of it's elasticity and shine. 3. My curl pattern was lost completely. My hair at this point was in dire need of a deep conditioning treatment and I was so taken aback at the sudden change.
Step 3: Conditioner. Well, at this point I was trying to save my hair so I packed that shampoo onto my hair like my life depended on it! It's your regular shampoo, nothing special.

Overall: After all of the steps were used, my hair felt clean, yes but at what cost? 3/10 do not recommend to any natural haired beauties out there. All that will meet you is disappointment, and I was unimpressed. The first step was the best step for all the reasons I stated but mostly because it was the most hydrating. If you plan on buying anything in this line, the first step, the clay hair mask is the one to go with.
Menchie M.
Gaithersburg, MD
Coming from a tropical country I'm used to washing my hair everyday because the weather get's very humid most of the time. Naturally, my hair is oily. A lot of people will compliment my hair because it's always straight and shiny. But there is a difference between having a shiny hair vs. oily/greasy feeling type of hair, which I dislike a lot. When I moved here in the US, I learned that washing your hair everyday is not necessary, as it will make your hair dry and unhealthy. So for now I only wash my hair 3-4 times a week depending on my activities. When I received an email from Influenster about this voxbox I got excited because the products are meant for those with oily scalp. It's a 3 step process to fully achieved the "purified roots and hydrated ends"

(I received the product Wednesday morning and tried it in the afternoon)
Step 1: Applying the Clay Mask
The clay mask smells pleasant, not too strong and doesn't have that chemical smell like other hair treatment products. I sectioned my hair to 3 parts so I can fully apply the mask on my scalp. I gently massage the clay mask starting roots feathering it up. Make sure to work a little quicker as the product tends to dry fast making it hard to apply on the other sections. I left it on my scalp for a good 5 minutes.
Step 2: Shampoo
It smells amazing very cool and fresh! It has rich lather. I made sure to wash my hair thoroughly so that I can take out the entire clay mask that I applied
Step 3: Conditioner
Same as the shampoo it smelled so good. I left it for a good 1-2 minutes while I finish scrubbing by body.

After rinsing, my hair immediately feels silky smooth. I towel dried my hair and used a wide toothcomb and what amazes me is that there are no tangles! It was effortless combing! I proceeded to blow-drying my hair. My hair looked a lot healthier, shinier and full of life. Yesterday I didn't wash my hair and I noticed a big difference because my roots still looked purified and not greasy at all despite doing household chores and cooking. I would've given it a 5 star but it didn't pass the 48-hour challenge for me. While writing this review, I can feel my hair starting to get oily again but I love the fact that my hair still smells good. Maybe next time I'll apply less conditioner so it won't weigh down my hair more.

Thank you #influenster and #loreal for letting me try the #extraordinaryhair 3 step haircare system!

Marissa B.
Pittsburgh, PA
I love this hair mask. I recently started training my hair to get less greasy so I don’t have to wash it every day like I used to. Anyone that’s done this knows that your hair gets super greasy at first then you can start to wash it less frequently. When doing this, I typically use this clay mask on my roots on a washing day. It cleans and purifies my roots/scalp SO much. It keeps my hair from getting greasy for a few days and leaves my hair feeling so clean. I highly recommend.
Heather I.
Tamarac, FL
I love this product so much!!! I bought the shampoo and conditioner in this clay collection and I needed this to fully get rid of the oil out of my hair. I put this on before I take a shower and wait five minutes then rinse. It makes it easy to mange my hair when I come out the shower. It’s been helping get rid of the grease out of my hair.
Erin V.
I have oily roots and dry ends, as well as thin hair. I am wondering if this actually takes care of the oily/dry combination, and if it volumizes hair at all?
NICOLE R.
I used this product for the first time yesterday. Just curious if there's a specific amount of time you should leave the clay mask on the roots before rinsing and shampooing? I only left it for about 5 minutes before rinsing. Does leaving it longer create more dramatic results?
Amber W.
Brantford
I have been looking for this product in store but can only find the shampoo and conditioner. Is this step necessary for full effect?
Brianna M.
N Las Vegas, NV
I have dyed hair and it's bright red, I see that the products have sulfate, should I just avoid using this stuff since it'll strip my hair color? Has anyone with dyed hair used this product yet?
Where can I find this product?