BY L'ORÉAL PARIS #14 in Hair Color

L'Oreal Excellence HiColor Red HiLights Permanent Creme HiLighting for dark hair lifts 3-4 levels with no pre-lightening required. see more...

• L'Oréal Excellence HiColor Magenta My hair is dark brown almost ...5 Answers
  • I'm doing my hair as i speak, and it burns a lot!!! Is this norma...5 Answers
  • If I mix 2 reds with 2 Magenta's how would the color turn out? To...1 Answers
Jazzi P.
West Fargo, ND
Beauty Junkie Expert
I used this before I had any knowledge of hair and how color works (I'm a hairstylist now). And it works amazingly. I have dark brown, almost black hair and it lifted it super bright! In fact, I used this color for months at a time and it works really well but of course because I didn't know how to correctly apply color and the proper knowledge of how a high lift color works, I had problems. I had tons of breakage, my hair was so uneven from over processing color. My hair was porous, dry, and unhealthy. So my tips to girls wanting to use this product (and I actually paid $20k to know this)
ONLY use this color on virgin hair otherwise it will not take correctly. If you don't have virgin hair, you will be spotty and it won't look cute.
If you put this all over your hair every time you color, you are blowing open your hair cuticle. It is a high lift color and that means that it's basically working like a bleach (it's not a bleach if only works like one in theory) and lifting the color pigments in your hair which opens the cuticle. You eventually will have breakage, you won't be able to hold color, you'll feel dry and you can't fix it with any hair product; you'd have to cut it off. Only apply to your regrowth area when coloring with this instead of all over for retouches.
If you know these now before buying you'll save yourself a lot of hassle. It's a great product if you use it correctly!
Erika E.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Absolutely LOVE this particular line!

I used it a few years back to color my entire hair a pretty magenta red.

LOVED it! I will definitely try it again next Spring.

Just for reference I am a natural brunette.
I have black hair and I did not have to lighten my hair prior to dying it.

As you can tell my hair color was VERY bright and vibrant.
I have hair that is past my shoulders and had to use two tubes to completely cover all my hair.
The first picture shows right after I colored my hair.The las picture shows my hair after two months of no touch up.

So needless to say the color is semi permanent,but it does last long! The last pic shows my hair after two months of no retouching.First two pics are a week after coloring my hair.
Chanel B.
Arlington
WOW! So I had never colored my hair before EVER, and I didn't want to bleach it then dye it because that was too many steps I thought! I wanted my hair a magenta color went to Sally's and found just that! I put this on my hair for around 30 minutes rinsed it out and wow it was literally exactly what J wanted with no complaints! My hair didn't feel like straw my hair wasn't damanged, and another pro it lasted for 2 months! I wash my hair every week and I was too lazy to buy specially "color treated hair products" so I didn't I use my same shampoo and conditioner and my color didn't get stripped or dull no touch ups for 2 whole months! I honestly recommend it! It was the fastest easiest process ever! No toning, bleaching, touch ups, nothing!
Heather B.
Sevierville , TN
Beauty Junkie Expert
I am in love with this product! I mix magenta & the red (by this same brand) and it is the exact color I have always wanted! I’ve colored my hair twice now like this and I have to say I love it! My only concern is that my ends faded after a month which isn’t too much of a big deal because red is known to fade fast & with how fast my hair grows I needed to color again in a month anyhow. I get my color from Sally’s which always has it for a great price! I’ll never go back to buying boxed drugstore colors again! I added a photo of me & my hair for reference ;)
Nik A.
Beauty Junkie Expert
So I mixed magenta and red together and it turned out just red 😏 I see barely any magenta tones in my hair at all. The dye was VERY messy but that's nothing new with red hair dyes. Altho it's not what I wanted I do love the color and it hasn't damaged my hair at all. The pic I posted is natural lighting/no filter. VERY vibrant, but I'm sure it'll fade after washing it for the first time
UPDATE: this did fade A LOT to a faded light pink color with blonde coming through (keep in mind I had a burgundy color prior and bleached blond hair before that one too.)
Malisha A.
Vancouver, WA
Beauty Junkie Expert
My first time trying to do my own hair at home and i decided to go for a big change using this product i Took my hair from a very dark brown to a super bright vibrant red in one use! So impressed with this dye i mixed one container of red and one magenta and got the exact color i wanted without looking super dry and damaged afterwards this color also lasted longer in my hair than other red dyes. Definitely Would recommend
Mi M.
Breckenridge
Beauty Junkie Expert
I love this protected for my hair. I always use this one because my hair is really black no other hair coloring products work on my hair. I love how the color is left onto my hair bright magma color.
Raechel H.
Elizabethtown
i love how bright red this made my hair. i am a natural brunet and had lightened my hair to about a lightish orange in order to make sure this color came out bright as can be. it was creamy and applied so smoothy. i found it was pretty cheap and extremely easy to use considering the first time i used it was the first time i had dyed my hair. love this product
Roxana m.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Every since high school i loved dying my hair red but had never found one that wouldnt turn my hair a brassy orange when faded until this one. Not only do i have red hair, its bright and not damaged as it would be if i bleached it and dyed it with another product!!.
Marisela A.
Cypress, TX
Beauty Junkie Expert
I have always loved red hair on me. I have had some type of red in my hair since i was 14. I have been using this for about 2 years now and I love it. Sometime I mix it with the red, or use it by itself. It lasts so long than other reds. It is perfect for brunettes because it doesn't require you to bleach your hair first
Tamar M.
I have black dyed hair. I want a liitle change and thought about the red highlights at tge bottoms of my hair. will this work on my hair, or do I need to bleach first? ( I wanted to get bright red ombre/highlights)
Daniela L.
Bakersfield, CA
I'm doing my hair as i speak, and it burns a lot!!! Is this normal? It's itchy but burns like if I just spilled boiling water on my scalp and skin. My scalp is really hot , you can feel it. Helppp
Jasmine W.
Winston Salem, NC
I want to try this product but am not rlly too sure as to how it would turn out. We're u guys impressed w the results? I would love to see some pictures if anyone has used this so I can see what the color looks like.
Lizeth P.
L'Oréal Excellence HiColor Magenta My hair is dark brown almost black will this work on me and how many boxes will I need 🤔
Danya A.
Bronx, NY
I've been wanting to dye my hair a pinkish reddish color for a while now. I wanted to ask if I have to bleach my hair with this color? How many packs do I need if I have shoulder length hair? Is this product effective on dark hair ?