BY JOHN GREEN #23 in Books

Looking for Alaska
  • "This was the first book of Green's that I had ever read and I found it completely relatable at the time I first read it." in 17 reviews
  • "If you like John Green you'll like this book most likely and if you don't know who John Green is then I think this should be the first book by him that you read (or any of his really, they're all great!" in 15 reviews
  • "my favorite book by my favorite author highly recommended to anyone who enjoys non-traditional romance novels warning: have tissues on hand " in 14 reviews
  • "my friend told me I must read it, so I was browsing my local Ollies and it was there for $1.99 so i picked it up and then I couldn't set it down at home, I just wanted to keep on reading it " in 11 reviews
  • "This is one of my favorite John Green books and I would recommend to any young adult, it is a comedy, a romantic novel, and a heartbreaking story which teaches you an amazing lesson." in 11 reviews
Jessica B.
Jessica B.
This was, years back, my first introduction to John’s writing and it is still the perfect place to start when you want to read anything by him. Though it is not his best work, or his best known, it is still wonderful.

It’s made of all the things his writing is known for – coming of age thoughts and occurrences, quotes and references that will stick with you, dark comedy and characters that will come alive right before your eyes.

One of the best things about John’s writing is that it feels real – his world becomes something that can play right before your eyes. And it really helps to connect to its target audience. It will surely get teenagers reading and thinking, hey, this guy just gets it. Looking For Alaska is magical and thought provoking.
Jody J.
Jody J.
Lanesville, IN
Unpopular Opinion Time: I was severely let down by this book. Now, I LOVE John Green as a person, and his writing style is very nice. However, in this book, the characters ruined it. I thought the main character was a bit annoying and whiny, and I just don't do well with those kinds of characters. I couldn't understand why he would chase down someone like Alaska who was just mean to everyone and overall a crappy person. I suppose it's very *real* in that sense, but it just wasn't my style. This book just left a lot more to be desired. I hope I enjoy more of John Green's stuff in the future.
Misha B.
Misha B.
Looking for Alaska has made it to my top three favorite books, which is a pretty hard task to accomplish in my opinion! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book because it reignited my love for reading a few years back. The book is written in a way that it touches all of you emotion and it keeps you mentally, emotionally and physically engaged. I find myself quoting this book at the most random moments and as an added bonus it helped me learn and remember/ understand Buddhism in the eleventh grade! Fabulous, well written book that people should not hesitate to read!!
Mika C.
Mika C.
Oh look, another John Green book for me review. This book was a very good book as well, however there was some parts that were boring and/or too descriptive. I mean I don't like books that keep dragging on the description of the room or the forest. That's just me though. Other than that this book also made me cry, laugh, and get angry. I felt all the emotions reading this book and I think that's just John Green for you. He makes you an emotional mess.
Shari A.
Shari A.
Boca Raton, FL
After reading The Fault in Our Stars, I had pretty high expectations for John Green books. Honestly, I was let down a bit. The main character is rather boring and one dimensional, and they make out Alaska to be this amazing and unique girl. I truly found her to be somewhat basic and a bad influence, and I found his plot after her death to be irrelevant and predictable. It was a decent book, but it did not live up to its hype or The Fault in Our Stars.
Ramona A.
Ramona A.
Gig harbor, WA
"So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.”
― John Green, Looking for Alaska

This book!!! It's another one of those "heart breakingly beautiful, feel like you've had someone kick a hole in your soul, ugly cry at times, come out of the book with hope, joy and feeling slightly changed" kind of books. Read this, you will not regret it.
Brittany H.
Brittany H.
Washington, PA
I read Paper Towns shortly before reading this book and really loved it! Looking For Alaska did not even compare. It was very slow and hard to get into. It did however pick up about halfway through. But just as I was finally getting into it, the book ended. I started this book very hopeful and excited for another good story, but it left me disappointed and depressed.
Krystal A.
Krystal A.
I enjoyed this book very much but I felt unsatisfied when I finished it. It left me with more questions than answers and though it was really funny and great to read, I found it boring in some ways. I'm not sure how to describe my feelings for the book because in all honesty I want to pick it up and read it again but I know I'll be left unsatisfied afterwards.
Jasmine L.
Jasmine L.
This book captivated me more so than most of Green's works for one reason; the boarding school location. For the same reason we read Harry Potter, to feel like a wizard, I enjoyed reading this because I felt the unique experience of attending a boarding school. That, combined with some of the rawest material I've seen from Green, made for an amazing story!
Maddy C.
Maddy C.
cherry creek parkway north , ohio
Such an amazing book. After reading "The Fault In Our Stars" I was very unsure about Johns writing. But the summary of the book really caught my attention. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. It includes mental illness in such an amazing way & not over doing it. It is such a great read for teenagers & It is my favorite book by John green!
Ashley O.
Ashley O.
Griswold , CT
Are John Green's other books just as good??
Kristen B.
Kristen B.
Is this book as good as The Fault in our Stars?
Colleen b.
Colleen b.
Yucaipa, CA
Was this worth the read ?
Ang W.
Ang W.
St Clr Shores, MI
I'm debating on whether or not to read this or paper towns. Help!
Patricia L.
Patricia L.
Im interested on reading this book but i don't know what the story is about? And if it was worth reading.