BY JOHN GREEN #21 in Books

Looking for Alaska
  • "This was the first book of Green's that I had ever read and I found it completely relatable at the time I first read it." in 17 reviews
  • "If you like John Green you'll like this book most likely and if you don't know who John Green is then I think this should be the first book by him that you read (or any of his really, they're all great!" in 15 reviews
  • "my favorite book by my favorite author highly recommended to anyone who enjoys non-traditional romance novels warning: have tissues on hand " in 14 reviews
  • "my friend told me I must read it, so I was browsing my local Ollies and it was there for $1.99 so i picked it up and then I couldn't set it down at home, I just wanted to keep on reading it " in 11 reviews
  • "This is one of my favorite John Green books and I would recommend to any young adult, it is a comedy, a romantic novel, and a heartbreaking story which teaches you an amazing lesson." in 11 reviews
Caleigh A.
There are moments in this book, really half of the book itself that I'm going to slap a big trigger warning on. If you'd like to be prepared before you read it, feel free to DM me on Instagram @caleighrosebud and I'll try to help you out. ❤

Looking For Alaska was one of the first books I read by John Green, who is now my favorite author and youtuber. The book does touch on heavy subjects such as death, underage drinking and dating someone you don't particularly like. It brings me back to high school, the whole book being about first experiencing romantic relationships and such. You know a book is (usually) good when it's on a banned list. Plus the original cover didn't have the candle and left it open ended, but implied that it was cigarette smoke. I have a lot of feelings about this book, some sad but mostly nostalgic.
Payton P.
Boise
I thought that this was a great book, with some downfalls. It was an easy read and wasn't hard to follow along, but in the end I was a little disappointed with it. I wasn't exactly sure what to think, the book ended up going in different directions, but was a still a good book with some twists and turns. I love John Green, he is a great writer and person,, and would recommend his books to everyone.
Taylor F.
Toledo, OH
This book is definitely for teen girls, but it does not disappoint. John Green is an amazing author, who writes creative and jaw dropping stories that you won't be able to put down. It is funny, romantic, heartbreaking, and you'll be spending the next few weeks thinking about this book. If you're looking for a semi-easy read, but with some depth in it as well, this book is for you.
Victoria M.
Jacksonville, AR
Im actually reading this book right now and I absolutely love it. It is about a boy who goes to boarding school and meets a girl whom he falls in love with. he is trying to figure out how life is supposed to be and where he fits in. it is very relatable to many teenagers and i would recommend this
Harper B.
Palm Harbor, FL
This is my #1 favorite book by John Green. I thought the Fault in Our Stars was great, but this made it pale in comparison. This book kept me laughing, crying, and shocked by the turns it took. This book portrayed teen life in a stunningly honest way, and I was shocked at how real it was.
Sarah E.
Brandon, MS
Absolutely loved this book! It was different than other John Green books but it is such a great mystery and coming into age book that just keeps you hooked even through the tragedies
Bramanda W.
JACKSONVILLE, NC
While this book started off a little slow, after the first couple chapters, I was obsessed. I finished this book in well less than a day. It was happy, and funny, and sad. It broke my heart and I never wanted the book to end.
Karla F.
Central Islip , NY
Después de haber leído otros libros de Jonh Green, este no se me hizo tan bueno como otros, pero eso no quiere decir que no valga la pena leerlo. Este es un gran autor. Me gustó, No tanto como los otros, pero me gustó.
Meryam R.
California
Looking For Alaska cannot be merely written off as a typical boy-meets-girl love story, because it isn't. It's more of a tale of how love isn't as translucent as it seems.Miles Halter or "Pudge" as he is referred to throughout the book, is the protagonist, and the book starts with Miles leaving Florida to attend a school in Alabama. He's introduced by his roommates to beautiful, mysterious and emotionally confused Alaska Young, and the story progresses, mostly centered around Miles' life at Culver Creek and his growing attachment to Alaska. There are also essential parts of teenage life thrown in casually and skillfully to the story, such as pranks, bets and disastrous parties.The beauty of the book is that it doesn't hide anything. It showcases what young love and growing up really are in a brutal and honest light. How the characters communicate, their relationships with each other, their pasts and the pleasure that comes with being a bad kid shine through the pages. Why I prefer John Green's debut novel to his other ones is because he's made no effort to make it an appropriate and proper book. You might not weep buckets like most people did at the end of The Fault in Our Stars, but you'll get attached to Miles and Alaska, just as they do to each other.
Nani L.
Miami, Florida

Although the recommended age is around 14 years, adults can draw conclusions from some of the reflections and events that take place in the novel. The novel is narrated in first person by the adolescent Miles.

While it is true that in most of the reviews I see on the internet everyone has loved (especially girls and teenagers), I have to say that this is the least I liked John Green novel. I have found it quite decaffeinated and I do not know why.

The novel is based on the story of a young man named Miles who moves to Alabama to continue his studies and there befriends a group of teenagers, including Alaska who steals his heart quickly and is always thinking about it until it happens An unexpected event. There are many moments of laughter and fun in the novel, which makes your reading enjoyable and fun. The friendship between the group of teenagers plays a great role in the novel, and shows how the days pass in the student residences of the United States.

The epicenter focuses on Alaska and what happens around it with Miles and his group of friends. John Green knows how to write to catch the teenagers and I must admit that the novel "hooked" me to the end, but only because I wanted to know how it ended.

Having previously read Paper Cities and Under the Same Star, this novel has many similarities with Paper Cities, although of course there are many different things, they are quite similar.

The novel is full of good reflections and paragraphs such as:

"I may die young," he said, "but at least I shall die intelligent." Now let us return to the tangents "

"Suffering is universal, it is what concern Buddhists, Christians and Muslims alike."

"Being afraid is the excuse that everyone always uses."

"I was a boring hopeless, She was fascinating to infinity."

"I never wanted to be everything in your life, just your favorite part.".
Ashley O.
Griswold, CT
Are John Green's other books just as good??
Kristen B.
Bookworm Expert
Is this book as good as The Fault in our Stars?
Colleen b.
Yucaipa, CA
Was this worth the read ?
Ang W.
St Clr Shores, MI
I'm debating on whether or not to read this or paper towns. Help!
Sarah B.
Franklin, LA
What john green book was your favorite? Did you like Looking for Alaska better than The Fault in our Stars?