BY LONELY PLANET

• What do you prefere music or reading books Lonely Planet...7 Answers
  • New York or Las Vegas? Lonely Planet Travel Guides12 Answers
  • Does it have a book on Portland Oregon or Costa Rica 12 Answers
Lonely Planet Travel Guides
  • "You can get the behind the scenes, off the beaten path information as well as the run of the mill tourist attraction information." in 8 reviews
  • "I travel everywhere with one of these books, sit in the plane and peel open the book for the first time and literally flip through the pages and say I'm going there!" in 7 reviews
  • "Lonely Planet is a great resource if you're visiting a new place and don't want to stick with just the advertised sites (tourist traps). " in 6 reviews
  • "The Lonely Planet travel guides have been my favourite in planning my travels, which included looking for things to look out for in Australia and New Zealand." in 6 reviews
Christina N.
langley, bc
I've used Lonely Planet guidebooks a few times and have always found them to be interesting, well laid out, and full of great suggestions. Unlike other guidebooks which are geared towards more upper class travel, these are perfect for those on a budget who don't mind sleeping in a hostel and using public transportation options. You can tell they're written by people who have actually been to these places and that makes a huge difference.
Marel G.
Las Vegas, NV
Whenever I plan a trip to another country, I always run out and buy a Lonely Planet of that country and spend hours looking and seeing what I can do. For the most part its accurate.
Chelsea K.
Osseo, MN
These are great books! I bought a few different ones for various European countries and found them to be extremely helpful! I was able to avoid over-priced restaurants and get the best quality for my money. Totally worth the investment.
Alysha N.
Columbus, OH
Love the travel guides! I make sure whenever I start to plan a vacation that I have a Lonely Planet guide on the area. It's great for making sure you hit all the popular and can't miss destinations, although I typically ask locals and check the internet for those local and hard to find favorites! It's also great for simplifying dos and don'ts and cultural faux pas.
Drew M.
When you write only one copy of a travel guide a year, there is a lot of room for shady business to occur. An establishment searching for a good review can do the following:

1. Bribe the reviewer (if they identify them) so that they can gain a good review, as they will only be in each city for a short amount of time.
2. Once assured a good review (or if they got that on their own merits), they can then decrease service because they are guaranteed the business.
3. Ride to victory.

Because these guides do not have the fluidity of the internet, they just can't keep up. They do, however, provide great maps, and how to get too and from individual cities. Their historical accounts are also fairly robust.
Brandy M.
Springfield, MO
I rarely travel without one of these, just be sure you have the most recent addition!
Anne -Lise M.
Guildford, SURREY
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
These are by far the most comprehensive travel guides you can get! I always buy these if I go to a new place and you will find yourself covered with lots of information like having a local tour guide next to you. They are pricey, but it's well worth the price for the amount of information you get.  I would definitely recommend these books as it has all essential information you'll ever need and also a lot of in depth information. It's so detailed that there is a lot in here you might not need, but they have covered something for all kind of travellers. You might be able to find out a lot of stuff by doing research online before you go and also talking to locals when you arrive, but I always like to bring one of these books in addition so I can get the best experience from my travels.
Scarlett H.
Globetrotter Expert Level 2
Great travel guide for all ages! They feature locations and activities that aren't often posted about in other guides
Carrie G.
Pittsville, WI
these are my absolute favorite guide books for traveling. I've tried out others and none of them stack up to Lonely Planet. They're always easy to follow and well written, and I have to be honest, I LOVE that they include pictures. I would 100% recommend these books for your next trip.
Sharon G.
Surrey, BC
I love reading and dreaming my way through these travel books. They feature off the beaten track places and sights to see outside the major tourist attractions. They also describe accommodations and restaurants that other travel books don't include. A great accompaniment for an out of this world trip!
S. H.
Are these still useful now that everyone has internet on their phones?
Melissa S.
Laredo, TX
If you could travel any country and have the best in Lonely Planet guides, where would you go?
Brennah L.
Edmond, OK
What's your favorite lonely planet travel guide?
Michele W.
Washington, DC
Why should I use this site/guides?
Fiona C.