BY LONELY PLANET

• What do you prefere music or reading books Lonely Planet Travel ...7 Answers
  • New York or Las Vegas? Lonely Planet Travel Guides12 Answers
  • Does it have a book on Portland Oregon or Costa Rica 11 Answers
Lonely Planet Travel Guides
  • "You can get the behind the scenes, off the beaten path information as well as the run of the mill tourist attraction information." in 8 reviews
  • "I travel everywhere with one of these books, sit in the plane and peel open the book for the first time and literally flip through the pages and say I'm going there!" in 7 reviews
  • "Lonely Planet is a great resource if you're visiting a new place and don't want to stick with just the advertised sites (tourist traps). " in 6 reviews
  • "The Lonely Planet travel guides have been my favourite in planning my travels, which included looking for things to look out for in Australia and New Zealand." in 6 reviews
Ashley G.
Severna Park, MD
The absolute best travel guides! We get one for every big trip we take and it's totally worth it! Especially for international travel when we're unsure if we'll have internet service! The recommendations are always true to locals and we've never been steered wrong!
Lily F.
Salem, OR
I would recommend grabbing a copy of the Lonely Planet for any destination. They can be a pricey purchase, but will pay for themselves before your trip is over! Lonely Planet is unique to all other travel guides. They contract writers to travel for months at a time to explore cities and record everywhere they go. Because of this the books have every detail mapped out for you, even the name of the hostel's pet dog Oscar. I have found 100s of affordable, once in a lifetime restaurants and activities using Lonely Planet as my guide. Opportunities that aren't common for tourists that I would never have heard of otherwise. Next time you are taking off for an adventure, don't hesitate! Lonely Planet will help you have the most authentic experience.
Drew M.
When you write only one copy of a travel guide a year, there is a lot of room for shady business to occur. An establishment searching for a good review can do the following:

1. Bribe the reviewer (if they identify them) so that they can gain a good review, as they will only be in each city for a short amount of time.
2. Once assured a good review (or if they got that on their own merits), they can then decrease service because they are guaranteed the business.
3. Ride to victory.

Because these guides do not have the fluidity of the internet, they just can't keep up. They do, however, provide great maps, and how to get too and from individual cities. Their historical accounts are also fairly robust.
Amanda M.
I used a Lonely Planet guide while traveling through Eastern Europe as there simply wasn't any other book of comparably quality and detail, in my opinion. i appreciated the maps of smaller cities, the inclusion of hidden gems and recommendations for scenic drives, and historical context for each location/country. the best thing of all, however - especially in Eastern Europe, since a number of countries in the Balkans don't have rail systems - were the tables containing information as to how long it would take to reach another city by a certain type of transportation, from one's current location. (for example, in Croatia, it explained that a bus to Dubrovnik from Zagreb would take approximately 12 hours, and a plane would take around an hour. i ended up opting for the plane, and THANK GOD.)

anyways, Lonely Planet is the best. highly recommended
Amanda S.
Aiea, HI
I went to Japan for the first time with a bunch of friends. They wanted to hang out in Akihabara (electronics/manga/anime) district the entire time. It was fun for a few days but I wanted to get out and see the sights! So armed with my handy dandy Lonely Planet Tokyo Travel Guide, I set out by myself.

I thank my lucky stars for that guidebook--it was so awesome. The book has maps of each area, tips on what to see, and interesting tidbits. I gave myself an informal tour of the city, just by using that book. The book was really easy to use.

Now, whenever I travel to some place new, I make sure that I order a Lonely Planet book. Of all the travel books that I've browsed through, the Lonely Planet ones are my favorite.
Julie W.
Taylor Lk Vlg, TX
My husband and I traveled a lot when we were first married so I have a nice collection of these Lonely Planet books sitting in my bookshelf. I would buy the book that related to where we were going and read it before we left for our trip. I would take it with us as well since it would have common foods and phrases that were very useful. I would not travel without one. Even now, when we go somewhere a little less exotic than Tunisia, like Las Vegas, we still pick up a Lonely Planet guide because they are so packed with great information.
Jennifer C.
New Orleans, LA
These travel guides are a must-have for travelers looking for adventures off the beaten path. Sure it lists all the must-do sites in a city, like the Eiffel Tower, but then it tells you about the tiny cafe two blocks away with fabulous espresso and an amazing view of the tower at night. If you're into luxury travel, this isn't the right guide book for you. Hostel and restaurant reviews have always been spot on, in my experience. They're updated every year or so and are available in ebook format so you don't have to tote a huge book around.
Jennifer R.
OCEANSIDE, CA
LOVE, LOVE , LOVE Lonely Planet Travel Guides. So easy to read, great up to date recommendations. Always offers special off the beaten path options to make your trips unique and truly delightful. Purchased most of mine at Barnes and Noble they range betwixt $10.00 and $18.00 USD and are so worth it. Some I have kept with notes from travels as souvenirs, but most have been passed on and used over and over again. Do pick up a Lonely Planet guide for your next trip - - you'll save time, money and find soemthing extra fun at every destination.
Christine P.
white plains, MD
Love these guides! I was first introduced to the guides when someone gave it to me a as a gift, and I actually didn't think I would need it. When I arrived at my destination, I could not put this book down and everyone travelling with me kept borrowing it. It was so useful, and thorough for travelling and including really helpful tips. It was especially useful since I was in a non English speaking country and it was really nice to have a guide to refer to in terms of the cultural and societal expectations
Misty W.
Yarmouth, ME
Globetrotter Expert Level 3
I have used Lonely Planet guides for trips in the US and Europe and I adore them. I love that they have info on all of the top tourist spots and trips but also some of the lesser known and bizarre museums and sites. I like that the guides are user friendly and that they offer options on food/lodging that range from budget to super luxury, and its nice that they usually have at least one higher rated option in each economic category. I also have loved the maps included in the book so I could plan what to do on any day by the things closest to each other. I think this is one of the best travel guides available (and I have a few types, though none so well used.)
S. H.
Are these still useful now that everyone has internet on their phones?
Melissa S.
Laredo, TX
If you could travel any country and have the best in Lonely Planet guides, where would you go?
Brennah L.
Edmond , OK
What's your favorite lonely planet travel guide?
Michele W.
Washington, DC
Why should I use this site/guides?
Fiona C.