BY LONELY PLANET

• What do you prefere music or reading books Lonely Planet...7 Answers
  • New York or Las Vegas? Lonely Planet Travel Guides12 Answers
  • Does it have a book on Portland Oregon or Costa Rica 12 Answers
Lonely Planet Travel Guides
  • "You can get the behind the scenes, off the beaten path information as well as the run of the mill tourist attraction information." in 8 reviews
  • "I travel everywhere with one of these books, sit in the plane and peel open the book for the first time and literally flip through the pages and say I'm going there!" in 7 reviews
  • "Lonely Planet is a great resource if you're visiting a new place and don't want to stick with just the advertised sites (tourist traps). " in 6 reviews
  • "The Lonely Planet travel guides have been my favourite in planning my travels, which included looking for things to look out for in Australia and New Zealand." in 6 reviews
Jonna C.
Indianapolis, IN
Lonely Planet is obviously good, they wouldn't have built their empire otherwise. But I never found that they met my needs as well as other guides. They are set up with the long term backpacker in mind. I've always been a US vacationer, i.e. short on time and not as short on money as the backpacker. Therefore, I prefer guides that give more info on what sites to see so I can prioritize my time while in a place. LP puts a lot more emphasis on how to get there, where to stay, etc. Let's Go is always my first choice if available because they meet my need for frugality without making it the highest priority. When you only have 2 weeks, or worse, 2 days, you don't want to make 5 connections to save $5. Eyewitness gives a lot of good info on sites with pictures, but is pretty poor on lodging, food, how to get around, etc. Fodor's gives great information on sites and what to do, but they are for high end budgets. Frommer's is basically a Fodor's knockoff in my opinion, and therefore ok but not a stand out. Lonely Planet does have an awesome website and great forums -- definitely utilize those!
Jennifer A.
Globetrotter Expert Level 3
Such a great travel guide when you are looking for plane tickets or hotels when you travel it's such a easy website to use and they give you great deals to save your money. It's very convenient and I always use it when I go out to travel
Ashley G.
Severna Park, MD
The absolute best travel guides! We get one for every big trip we take and it's totally worth it! Especially for international travel when we're unsure if we'll have internet service! The recommendations are always true to locals and we've never been steered wrong!
Drew M.
When you write only one copy of a travel guide a year, there is a lot of room for shady business to occur. An establishment searching for a good review can do the following:

1. Bribe the reviewer (if they identify them) so that they can gain a good review, as they will only be in each city for a short amount of time.
2. Once assured a good review (or if they got that on their own merits), they can then decrease service because they are guaranteed the business.
3. Ride to victory.

Because these guides do not have the fluidity of the internet, they just can't keep up. They do, however, provide great maps, and how to get too and from individual cities. Their historical accounts are also fairly robust.
Lily F.
Salem, OR
I would recommend grabbing a copy of the Lonely Planet for any destination. They can be a pricey purchase, but will pay for themselves before your trip is over! Lonely Planet is unique to all other travel guides. They contract writers to travel for months at a time to explore cities and record everywhere they go. Because of this the books have every detail mapped out for you, even the name of the hostel's pet dog Oscar. I have found 100s of affordable, once in a lifetime restaurants and activities using Lonely Planet as my guide. Opportunities that aren't common for tourists that I would never have heard of otherwise. Next time you are taking off for an adventure, don't hesitate! Lonely Planet will help you have the most authentic experience.
Amanda M.
I used a Lonely Planet guide while traveling through Eastern Europe as there simply wasn't any other book of comparably quality and detail, in my opinion. i appreciated the maps of smaller cities, the inclusion of hidden gems and recommendations for scenic drives, and historical context for each location/country. the best thing of all, however - especially in Eastern Europe, since a number of countries in the Balkans don't have rail systems - were the tables containing information as to how long it would take to reach another city by a certain type of transportation, from one's current location. (for example, in Croatia, it explained that a bus to Dubrovnik from Zagreb would take approximately 12 hours, and a plane would take around an hour. i ended up opting for the plane, and THANK GOD.)

anyways, Lonely Planet is the best. highly recommended
Amanda S.
Aiea, HI
I went to Japan for the first time with a bunch of friends. They wanted to hang out in Akihabara (electronics/manga/anime) district the entire time. It was fun for a few days but I wanted to get out and see the sights! So armed with my handy dandy Lonely Planet Tokyo Travel Guide, I set out by myself.

I thank my lucky stars for that guidebook--it was so awesome. The book has maps of each area, tips on what to see, and interesting tidbits. I gave myself an informal tour of the city, just by using that book. The book was really easy to use.

Now, whenever I travel to some place new, I make sure that I order a Lonely Planet book. Of all the travel books that I've browsed through, the Lonely Planet ones are my favorite.
Jennifer C.
New Orleans, LA
These travel guides are a must-have for travelers looking for adventures off the beaten path. Sure it lists all the must-do sites in a city, like the Eiffel Tower, but then it tells you about the tiny cafe two blocks away with fabulous espresso and an amazing view of the tower at night. If you're into luxury travel, this isn't the right guide book for you. Hostel and restaurant reviews have always been spot on, in my experience. They're updated every year or so and are available in ebook format so you don't have to tote a huge book around.
Julie W.
Taylor Lk Vlg, TX
My husband and I traveled a lot when we were first married so I have a nice collection of these Lonely Planet books sitting in my bookshelf. I would buy the book that related to where we were going and read it before we left for our trip. I would take it with us as well since it would have common foods and phrases that were very useful. I would not travel without one. Even now, when we go somewhere a little less exotic than Tunisia, like Las Vegas, we still pick up a Lonely Planet guide because they are so packed with great information.
Jennifer R.
OCEANSIDE, CA
LOVE, LOVE , LOVE Lonely Planet Travel Guides. So easy to read, great up to date recommendations. Always offers special off the beaten path options to make your trips unique and truly delightful. Purchased most of mine at Barnes and Noble they range betwixt $10.00 and $18.00 USD and are so worth it. Some I have kept with notes from travels as souvenirs, but most have been passed on and used over and over again. Do pick up a Lonely Planet guide for your next trip - - you'll save time, money and find soemthing extra fun at every destination.
S. H.
Are these still useful now that everyone has internet on their phones?
Melissa S.
Laredo, TX
If you could travel any country and have the best in Lonely Planet guides, where would you go?
Brennah L.
Edmond, OK
What's your favorite lonely planet travel guide?
Michele W.
Washington, DC
Why should I use this site/guides?
Fiona C.