BY LONELY PLANET

• What do you prefere music or reading books Lonely Planet Travel ...7 Answers
  • New York or Las Vegas? Lonely Planet Travel Guides12 Answers
  • Does it have a book on Portland Oregon or Costa Rica 11 Answers
Lonely Planet Travel Guides
  • "You can get the behind the scenes, off the beaten path information as well as the run of the mill tourist attraction information." in 8 reviews
  • "I travel everywhere with one of these books, sit in the plane and peel open the book for the first time and literally flip through the pages and say I'm going there!" in 7 reviews
  • "Lonely Planet is a great resource if you're visiting a new place and don't want to stick with just the advertised sites (tourist traps). " in 6 reviews
  • "The Lonely Planet travel guides have been my favourite in planning my travels, which included looking for things to look out for in Australia and New Zealand." in 6 reviews
Cathy K.
Los Angeles, CA
OUTSTANDING source of information for wherever you are traveling! The guides go on sale all the time, so if you are planning travel (solo, or with others), one of these guides should be in your carry-on! The details provided on where to go, what to see, places to sleep and eat, and other pertinent and vital information is there, and it it updated quite often, so you know that little bistro you're dying to go to will still be there when you arrive. Absolutely my favorite source of travel information!
Tracy S.
Ashland, OH
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
AMAZING!!! As an avid traveler, I am also an avid collector of Lonely Planet books. These books are not only affordable, but also so helpful for navigating unknown cities, towns, and countries. The creators of Lonely Planet have gone above and beyond to ensure they include everything that a traveler would need to be successful!
Carrie G.
Pittsville, WI
these are my absolute favorite guide books for traveling. I've tried out others and none of them stack up to Lonely Planet. They're always easy to follow and well written, and I have to be honest, I LOVE that they include pictures. I would 100% recommend these books for your next trip.
Jacqueline M.
Buffalo , NY
Lonely planet is definitely a great place to start planning your vacation- however I feel like it's best to be open and flexible to trying things as they come up that aren't necessarily in the book (or the app). Spontaneity is always key to a great trip.
Claybourne E.
Kansas city , MO
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
I've used Lonely Planet guides on 4 different continents and more countries than I can name. Even when I was working as a travel write, Lonely Planet was my choice is guides. They keep up to date and offer recommendations that I can trust. Don't leave home without one.
Alyssa L.
I spent a month in India, and used the Lonely Planet India Travel Guide to plan my trip. I'm so glad I did. Its tips and information was completely accurate, and made my trip so much less stressful. Travelling to a third-world country can be very dangerous and stressful if you go without educating yourself first, and this guide book does it all. Not only did it inform me of any present illegal scams and tactics, it also included up-to-date maps, and lists of favorite hostels, restaurants and sites for pretty much every city in India. Reading this book got me out of quite a few tricky situations. Being American, the tuk-tuk drivers tend to overcharge you the fares because they think you don't know any better. Thanks to this guidebook, I learned that going across town (1-6 km) should only cost around 50 rupees. A man once tried to charge us 500 RUPEES (about 10 dollars) for a 6 minute drive. He was adamant, and wouldn't let us leave. Using the tip I learned in the book, I mentioned that we should ask the police officer across the street how much the ride costs, and he immediately dropped his outrageous price, and let us on our way. If you are planning to go on any big out-of-country trips, don't go without the Lonely Planet guide book!
Jessica R.
Sherman Oaks, CA
Globetrotter Expert Level 2
These are the best! They got me around Europe and Asia. They tel you everything you need to know from what the currency is to the cheapest hotel and where to eat. They include maps and itineraries
Zoe D.
oregon, ['', '', '']
If you're a traveler, you'll definitely need this book. The book includes all the information, questions about the travel destination. It also has some tips that help you to enjoy the trip to the fullest.
Jonna C.
Indianapolis, IN
Lonely Planet is obviously good, they wouldn't have built their empire otherwise. But I never found that they met my needs as well as other guides. They are set up with the long term backpacker in mind. I've always been a US vacationer, i.e. short on time and not as short on money as the backpacker. Therefore, I prefer guides that give more info on what sites to see so I can prioritize my time while in a place. LP puts a lot more emphasis on how to get there, where to stay, etc. Let's Go is always my first choice if available because they meet my need for frugality without making it the highest priority. When you only have 2 weeks, or worse, 2 days, you don't want to make 5 connections to save $5. Eyewitness gives a lot of good info on sites with pictures, but is pretty poor on lodging, food, how to get around, etc. Fodor's gives great information on sites and what to do, but they are for high end budgets. Frommer's is basically a Fodor's knockoff in my opinion, and therefore ok but not a stand out. Lonely Planet does have an awesome website and great forums -- definitely utilize those!
Jenn A.
Globetrotter Expert Level 3
Such a great travel guide when you are looking for plane tickets or hotels when you travel it's such a easy website to use and they give you great deals to save your money. It's very convenient and I always use it when I go out to travel
S. H.
Are these still useful now that everyone has internet on their phones?
Melissa S.
Laredo, TX
If you could travel any country and have the best in Lonely Planet guides, where would you go?
Brennah L.
Edmond , OK
What's your favorite lonely planet travel guide?
Michele W.
Washington, DC
Why should I use this site/guides?
Fiona C.