Add a Photo

Photos (9)
Lily F.
Lily F.
Salem, OR

I would recommend grabbing a copy of the Lonely Planet for any destination. They can be a pricey purchase, but will pay for themselves before your trip is over! Lonely Planet is unique to all other travel guides. They contract writers to travel for months at a time to explore cities and record everywhere they go. Because of this the books have every detail mapped out for you, even the name of the hostel's pet dog Oscar. I have found 100s of affordable, once in a lifetime restaurants and activities using Lonely Planet as my guide. Opportunities that aren't common for tourists that I would never have heard of otherwise. Next time you are taking off for an adventure, don't hesitate! Lonely Planet will help you have the most authentic experience.
Maria C.
Maria C.
Melrose Park, IL

I have traveled to five different countries in this year alone. It was my first time traveling at all, and I traveled alone so I definitely made sure to always check out every Lonely Planet guide I could find prior to leaving my home country. Always made me feel so safe and knowledgeable about the places I was visiting, by the time I got there, I felt completely at home! Great recommendations on markets, month to month celebrations, as well as free and fun things to do. Personally I am myself one of those, walk around and find things kind of gals looking for an authentic experience but even so, always appreciate having read these beforehand.
Jennifer R.
Jennifer R.
OCEANSIDE, CA

LOVE, LOVE , LOVE Lonely Planet Travel Guides. So easy to read, great up to date recommendations. Always offers special off the beaten path options to make your trips unique and truly delightful. Purchased most of mine at Barnes and Noble they range betwixt $10.00 and $18.00 USD and are so worth it. Some I have kept with notes from travels as souvenirs, but most have been passed on and used over and over again. Do pick up a Lonely Planet guide for your next trip - - you'll save time, money and find soemthing extra fun at every destination.
Christine P.
Christine P.
White Plains, MD

Love these guides! I was first introduced to the guides when someone gave it to me a as a gift, and I actually didn't think I would need it. When I arrived at my destination, I could not put this book down and everyone travelling with me kept borrowing it. It was so useful, and thorough for travelling and including really helpful tips. It was especially useful since I was in a non English speaking country and it was really nice to have a guide to refer to in terms of the cultural and societal expectations
Joanna B.
Joanna B.

These are the most detailed travel guides I have found. They aren't typically full of photos like some simpler ones are, but if you want to travel away from the tourist spots these are helpful. They usually have thorough information on just regular places away from attractions as well. They can really help you plan a trip ahead of time that will give you a good feel for the country and culture you are visiting.
Dwyn A.
Dwyn A.
BELMONT, CA

Really good place to start looking when you're first planning a trip. Guides do a good job of breaking down general information, highlighting the places that are must visits. Best for travelers who are totally new to a city, the more hidden treasures are best found elsewhere but Lonely Planet guides are a super good entryway into planning a trip to a place you are totally new to.
Kailey C.
Kailey C.

Such good guides to read before you go somewhere. You discover things from the common words used in the area to the food you can eat. It's great because you came get small versions to take with you or big versions to leave behind and read before you go! They also sometimes come with maps that are definitely helpful! I would recommend everyone get a book before you go travel.
Alysha N.
Alysha N.
Columbus, OH

Love the travel guides! I make sure whenever I start to plan a vacation that I have a Lonely Planet guide on the area. It's great for making sure you hit all the popular and can't miss destinations, although I typically ask locals and check the internet for those local and hard to find favorites! It's also great for simplifying dos and don'ts and cultural faux pas.
Alexis  C.
Alexis C.

Every trip I go on I bring a paperback version and have a PDF version of the lonely planet for the location. I make sure to read it and flag things en route as well. Amazing for cultural customs, history, and top non-touristy attractions with great price breakdowns. Everyone should use these to travel you can't go wrong!! It's basically like a bible!
Lindsey R.
Lindsey R.

Lonely Planet is awesome! If you're going to one specific place or an entire country, the book is worth it. I bought the book for France during a multiple-month stay, and it was helpful in giving the tourist's perspective on even the tiniest of towns. It also helped us find some real gems, like local restaurants off the beaten path.
S. H.
S. H.

Are these still useful now that everyone has internet on their phones?
Melissa S.
Melissa S.
Laredo, TX

If you could travel any country and have the best in Lonely Planet guides, where would you go?
Brennah L.
Brennah L.
Honolulu, Hi

What's your favorite lonely planet travel guide?
Michele W.
Michele W.
Brawley, CA

Why should I use this site/guides?
Crystal C.