Add a Photo

Photos (9)
Lily F.
Lily F.
Salem, OR

I would recommend grabbing a copy of the Lonely Planet for any destination. They can be a pricey purchase, but will pay for themselves before your trip is over! Lonely Planet is unique to all other travel guides. They contract writers to travel for months at a time to explore cities and record everywhere they go. Because of this the books have every detail mapped out for you, even the name of the hostel's pet dog Oscar. I have found 100s of affordable, once in a lifetime restaurants and activities using Lonely Planet as my guide. Opportunities that aren't common for tourists that I would never have heard of otherwise. Next time you are taking off for an adventure, don't hesitate! Lonely Planet will help you have the most authentic experience.
Maria C.
Maria C.
Melrose Park, IL

I have traveled to five different countries in this year alone. It was my first time traveling at all, and I traveled alone so I definitely made sure to always check out every Lonely Planet guide I could find prior to leaving my home country. Always made me feel so safe and knowledgeable about the places I was visiting, by the time I got there, I felt completely at home! Great recommendations on markets, month to month celebrations, as well as free and fun things to do. Personally I am myself one of those, walk around and find things kind of gals looking for an authentic experience but even so, always appreciate having read these beforehand.
Jennifer R.
Jennifer R.
OCEANSIDE, CA

LOVE, LOVE , LOVE Lonely Planet Travel Guides. So easy to read, great up to date recommendations. Always offers special off the beaten path options to make your trips unique and truly delightful. Purchased most of mine at Barnes and Noble they range betwixt $10.00 and $18.00 USD and are so worth it. Some I have kept with notes from travels as souvenirs, but most have been passed on and used over and over again. Do pick up a Lonely Planet guide for your next trip - - you'll save time, money and find soemthing extra fun at every destination.
Christine P.
Christine P.
White Plains, MD

Love these guides! I was first introduced to the guides when someone gave it to me a as a gift, and I actually didn't think I would need it. When I arrived at my destination, I could not put this book down and everyone travelling with me kept borrowing it. It was so useful, and thorough for travelling and including really helpful tips. It was especially useful since I was in a non English speaking country and it was really nice to have a guide to refer to in terms of the cultural and societal expectations
Lisse M.
Lisse M.

The first time I took my hubby to Mexico, I picked up a Lonely Planet guide for the area we were visiting.
We read through, picked a few things we wanted to do, and we were pretty darn impressed. The guide gave us all kinds of options from cheap to expensive, had great reviews on restaurants, tourist attractions, and places to shop. I won't travel anywhere now without picking up a Lonely Planet guide for that country or location!
Joanna B.
Joanna B.

These are the most detailed travel guides I have found. They aren't typically full of photos like some simpler ones are, but if you want to travel away from the tourist spots these are helpful. They usually have thorough information on just regular places away from attractions as well. They can really help you plan a trip ahead of time that will give you a good feel for the country and culture you are visiting.
Cheryl M.
Cheryl M.
Scarborough, Ontario

Lonely Planet Travel Guides are such a great tool to use for solo travel, especially first time travelers. When you don't want to be accumulating data overages, the guides are easy to carry around with you and fit in your backpack easily. Great recommendations for your typical 'tourist' information, as well as sights, restaurants, and neighbourhoods not likely to be well known - but wonderful nonetheless.
SUNITA G.
SUNITA G.

Lonely planet is usually my go-to travel guide. I have been to nearly 50 countries, and usually backpack around. Lonely planet doesn't sugar coat things, they tell you like it is. For the most part, the books are up to date and helpful. Make sure you get the most up to date version before you go. Their collections (i.e. Middle East) are handy if you are hoping to hit a few countries in one region.
Andrea M.
Andrea M.
Calgary, Alberta

Dwyn A.
Dwyn A.
Belmont, CA

Really good place to start looking when you're first planning a trip. Guides do a good job of breaking down general information, highlighting the places that are must visits. Best for travelers who are totally new to a city, the more hidden treasures are best found elsewhere but Lonely Planet guides are a super good entryway into planning a trip to a place you are totally new to.
S. H.
S. H.

Are these still useful now that everyone has internet on their phones?
Melissa S.
Melissa S.
Laredo, TX

If you could travel any country and have the best in Lonely Planet guides, where would you go?
Brennah L.
Brennah L.
Honolulu, Hi

What's your favorite lonely planet travel guide?
Michele W.
Michele W.
Brawley, CA

Why should I use this site/guides?
Crystal C.