BY LOCKS OF LOVE #27 in Philanthropy & Volunteering

• It is really sad reading these reviews and so many people not und...21 Answers
  • Have you ever made a hair donation?9 Answers
  • What does this charity do?4 Answers
Locks of Love
  • "I proud I donate 12 inches of my hair to them so nice makes me feel good knowing a child will get a wig.This great organization " in 47 reviews
  • "I have never donated to this, but I think that it's a great cause especially since pretty much anyone can if their hair is long enough." in 31 reviews
  • "I haven't ever been able to get my hair long enough to be able to donate but many of my family members have and I think it's a wonderful thing to do." in 25 reviews
  • "Locks of love is a great way to kill two birds with one stone by getting a hair cut and donating hair to someone with cancer who lost theirs through chemo." in 19 reviews
  • "ive been trying to grow my hair out because i know that there it someone out there who needs ot more than i do and i just think that it would be a good idea to do this for someone else!" in 18 reviews
Tayla T.
Tullahoma, TN
I donated to Locks of Love when I got my first hair cut in 6th grade. I remember being so excited to help someone else and to get rid of years worth of hair. I've recently learned that they charge for their wigs though which makes me really sad I donated to them. I've heard you can save your hair and mail it to other companies that don't charge people for their wigs.
Emily M.
Kirkland, WA
Good Samaritan Expert
I think this is such an amazing idea and concept. I have heard a few unsavory things about locks of love charging families, but that has not been verified. My daughter has donated several times and just donated again. Makes me so happy to know that we can all help this charity, and FOR FREE! .
Daphne W.
Good Samaritan Expert
I love this organization/charity!!! I make donations of hair when I have no bleach/dye in it. I once donated 16 inches of long red, curly hair. Cancer is heart breaking to everyone, so making hair donations for wigs for those going through this horrible disease is the least we can do.
Andrea V.
Whittier, CA
I used to be a big promoter of Locks of Love until I found out that they still charge the recipients for the wigs. I thought the whole point was to provide wigs for cancer patients for free. We now donate to Wigs for Kids that do give the wigs for free to the recipients.
Jenny R.
Charlotte, NC
This is a long review, but PLEASE READ.

One thing you have to know about this company before you decide to donate your hair is that they do NOT give the wigs away for free. They charge the recipients money for these 'wigs' or 'prosthetics'. How is this a charity when they charge people for the product? Another big thing I learned is that make prostetics for people who have lost their hair such as people who have alopecia. The worst thing is all the review's I've read on how they applied and got rejected because they didn't meet the Locks of Love's requirements. I have read so many articles on this it's heartbreaking to read. I worked at Great Clips for almost 6 years, and they're partnered with Locks of Love. Some places do a free haircut, some don't. Some places send in the hair for you, some don't. Anyways, Locks of Love is EXTREMELY particular in their selection process, they do not accept processed or dyed hair. And they throw away a lot of their donations!!!!

Another thing, they require more hair than others to be accepted, if you want to donate your hair but don't want to cut off as much, look into other places. DO NOT SEND YOUR HAIR IF IT IS STILL WET. This is not just a Locks of Love thing, this is for ANYWHERE. It may be a while before your package is open, and if you send it in wet, the likelihood of your hair becoming MOLDY is high.

If you want your hair to be given to someone in need for free, I would highly recommend Wigs for Kids or Pantene. Bottom line, whichever one you choose, do your research!! Please!
Lexi W.
Good Samaritan Expert
I love this foundation/charity!! The fact that they take real donated hair and make it into wigs for those that are sick and have lost their own hair, makes it so easy to donate to such a great cause!!!
Jess N.
Lake Charles, LA
Good Samaritan Expert
One of my closest friends and her daughter donated their hair to Locks of Love. I have relatives who lost their hair due to cancer and it can pull down a person's self-esteem so I love this organization.
Marianettee R.
I cut my hair and was considering donating my hair for someone to turn into a wig for a child that has trouble growing their hair until I found out that they don't give the wigs to the children for free. The family has to PAY BIG MONEY so their child could use the wigs.
As if the families don't have enough to deal with while their child is in the hospital. So shameful this company.
I wouldn't be surprised if the money donated would be for the people that make the wigs instead of using the money towards creating the wigs for free.
Danii F.
Cotulla, TX
I've always wanted to donate my hair here but I feel like its not healthy enough and I support it because it helps girls get hair, wigs made for them so they can feel more confident! I've never donated but I've known about it since I was little because my friend donated her hair! others should too because it helps girls get hair they make wigs for them out of other peoples hair!
Jennifer G.
Fayetteville, TN
My now teenage daughter has donated several times to locks of love. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer shortly after my daughter was born. Although she was very little, she remembers so much about what my mother, her grandmother went through. And she remembers her wig! When she was old enough to decide for herself she began donating so that wigs could be made for others suffering from an illness that has caused them to lose their hair. I am thankful for a healthy and thriving mother and a daughter with a heart as big as the sky!
JORDAN H.
La grande, Or
I know it's an odd question but I have VERY thin fine hair, would it even be worth donating?
Vicky D.
SouthGate, Ca
Can you donate your hair if you dye it, or do you have to have normal hair
Lauren D.
Rocky Hill, CT
Have you ever donated to locks of love? How long was your hair when you cut it?
Janet M.
Norcross, GA
Where do we donate ???????
Tiffany S.
It is really sad reading these reviews and so many people not understanding what Locks of Love actually does. They do NOT provide wigs to children who are cancer patients, they do NOT donate wigs, and they do not even use most of the hair that is sent to them. Please read up on your material before donating! Pantine has a great campaign and so does Wigs for Children (I think is what it is called..)