BY LOCKS OF LOVE #36 in Philanthropy & Volunteering

• It is really sad reading these reviews and so many people not und...21 Answers
  • Have you ever made a hair donation?8 Answers
  • What does this charity do?4 Answers
Locks of Love
  • "I proud I donate 12 inches of my hair to them so nice makes me feel good knowing a child will get a wig.This great organization " in 47 reviews
  • "I have never donated to this, but I think that it's a great cause especially since pretty much anyone can if their hair is long enough." in 31 reviews
  • "I haven't ever been able to get my hair long enough to be able to donate but many of my family members have and I think it's a wonderful thing to do." in 25 reviews
  • "Locks of love is a great way to kill two birds with one stone by getting a hair cut and donating hair to someone with cancer who lost theirs through chemo." in 19 reviews
  • "ive been trying to grow my hair out because i know that there it someone out there who needs ot more than i do and i just think that it would be a good idea to do this for someone else!" in 18 reviews
Vicki C.
Vicki C.
My grandfather has been in the hospital for over six months and upon his stay, he had a full grown beard near his belly button and hair that touched his bottom. Recently, he decided it was time to cut off all of his hair (he didn't donate his beard as the nurses had to shave that previously). My mother donated the hair to Locks of Love and we couldn't have had a more positive experience. The process was super easy. All you have to do is mail the hair in. It's great that my grandpa could help someone else since he has received so much help from those who have donated blood!
Christina F.
Christina F.
Mount Holly , NC
I am a salon owner and stylist who offers free haircuts to people who donate their hair, however, I do recommend/strongly suggest that they don't donate to locks of love because they are very picky with the hair they get. Often times they throw the hair out and they actually charge the people for the wigs rather than 100% donate the wigs made. I always suggest "children with hair loss" or "Pantene" or "wigs for kids" all of those are great organizations that I feel truly have the recipients at heart.
Aimee S.
Aimee S.
I think this organization is great! They have very strict guidelines, but I'm glad that they do because if I was receiving a wig I would not want anything that was damaged or gross. I have donated my hair three times, my daughters have donated their hair twice and my mother has donated her hair twice! I think this is a beautiful foundation and it helps children and people who have lost their hair due to cancer or whatever else has caused their hair loss.
Jessica S.
Jessica S.
Pooler, GA
I remember being a child and donating my hair multiple times to this and then I found out the truth. They have such strict guidelines that 95% of the hair donated is thrown away and what is kept isn't donated to the cancer patients or those in need of them - It's SOLD to them. The poor patients have to BUY the hair. I do NOT recommend this. Please do not send your hair to them, find another company and research them to make sure it's truly a good one.
Natasha G.
Natasha G.
San Luis Obispo, CA
If you Google "Locks of Love Sells Your Hair," you'll get an interesting selection of articles about how this organization actually has $6 million worth of hair that goes missing every year.

There are other, better organizations to donate hair to that will give them to people who don't just have permanent hair loss, and who have less requirements of you (shorter required lengths, also allows dyed hair). I've donated to Children with Hairloss.
Tina L.
Tina L.
Saint Cloud, FL
I have never donated to them as they do charge for their wigs.
My son, at 6 yrs old, asked if he could grow out his hair to donate it...as a mom, you just can't say no to that! So, we did a lot of research and have decided to donate not only his hair, but I am growing mine out to donate as well. We decided to donate to Wigs for Kids. They do not charge for their wigs. We will be cutting our hair and donating it next month to Wigs for Kids.
Angel O.
Angel O.
Lexington, NC
They are choosey with who gets the real hair and I have even heard tell that they charge for the wigs. I read a blog where they sent a girl with cancer a synthetic wig because her hair "should grow back", and they apparently reserve real hair for recipients whose hair won't return. I also read that they have had haor go missing. My suggestion is to donate to wigs for kids, which is where I donate. Or to Pantene Beautiful lengths.
Leslie S.
Leslie S.
Abilene, TX
I have never donated to Locks of Love. Only because my hair has always been short. My 15 year old daughter donated 12 inches last year and she said it was the most rewarding experience ever. So I have been growing out my hair since last year so I can donate. It will make me feel good knowing that a child will get a wig. I had a friend who had cancer when she was young and she always felt embarrassed about not having hair.
Bethany H.
Bethany H.
Dewitt, AR
My little sister had thick, unprocessed hair past her lower back & wanted to donate all that beautiful hair to them! We were absolutely disgusted when we did our research on them. Charging for wigs among other things...Wow. She obviously chose another charity, one that doesn't charge cancer patients. I wish I could remember the name of them! It's been about 2 years.
Ada T.
Ada T.
El Monte, CA
I haven't donated my hair but my sister has. I think what Locks of Love does is amazing. I can see how proud my sister is every day. She now has a head of 1and a half inch hair. She used to have hair down to her bum and she doesn't regret a thing. I'm very proud of her as I am of Locks of Love for everything they're doing and the people they are helping!
JORDAN H.
JORDAN H.
La grande, Or
I know it's an odd question but I have VERY thin fine hair, would it even be worth donating?
Vicky D.
Vicky D.
SouthGate, Ca
Can you donate your hair if you dye it, or do you have to have normal hair
Lauren D.
Lauren D.
Rocky Hill, CT
Have you ever donated to locks of love? How long was your hair when you cut it?
Janet M.
Janet M.
Norcross, GA
Where do we donate ???????
Tiffany S.
Tiffany S.
It is really sad reading these reviews and so many people not understanding what Locks of Love actually does. They do NOT provide wigs to children who are cancer patients, they do NOT donate wigs, and they do not even use most of the hair that is sent to them. Please read up on your material before donating! Pantine has a great campaign and so does Wigs for Children (I think is what it is called..)