LipSense by SeneGence
LipSense is the premier product of SeneGence and is unlike any conventional lipstick, stain or color. As the original long-lasting lip color, it is waterproof, does not kiss-off, smear-off, rub-off or budge-off! Create your own color palette by combining colors from over 50 shades.see more...
Top Questions See all 1,040 Q&A
- "I love this product and how long lasting it is.last until i remove it! you just have to follow the instructions, 1 swipe 3 coats top with gloss and you're good to go.moisturize your lips with the gloss before eating and whenever you feel your lips needs moisture and you can go on with the day with kiss/transfer proof, smudge proof and long lasting beautiful colored lips! i also have this product in fuscia..love it!" in 192 reviews
- "Lipsense is now the only lipstick I wear. What I learned is that it is a series of products that must be used together to keep your lips moisturized. If used alone, it will feel dry and flake off. It is not meant to be used alone, it has to be used with their branded lip gloss. The Lipsense and gloss comes in several colors and it takes about 2 weeks to get your lips accustomed to using it. I can get 14 hours wear out of this lipstick. My lips are never dry or chapped! Hands down my holy grail lipstick! The downside is that it is a multi level marketing company, so you have to know someone who sells it. And no I don't sell the stuff, just a customer and fan!" in 191 reviews
- "This product is amazing!!! Last all day and I love that you can layer the colors for a custom look!!! I also love that you can change the finish of the lip color by changing the gloss that you use!! Some days I want my red to be matte and other days I want it to be high shine and glossy!!!" in 89 reviews
- "I've never been one to wear lip color at all or even every day but I've been wearing LipSense daily for four months. I love it! It's smudge proof and kiss proof and I can swim, eat, drink, work out, anything and it stays put. " in 73 reviews
1. Lipsense is a lipstick, is it not a lip stain or gloss. Meaning that you'll get a full color payout.
2. Lipsense should taste you at least 8 hours, it can last up to 18! If your Lipsense is flaking off far before that 8 hour mark, you're either applying it wrong initially or not following up with enough top coat.
3. Lipsense burns when you first apply it because your lips are unmoisturized! If you continue to use the product the burning sensation will not happen anymore. Also, during the first or so you using Lipsense you will experience peeling, flaking because your lips are exfoliating all the toxins and layers of crap you've been applying to your lips before. To combat this, gloss often!
4. This is NOT a finicky or high maintenance product! If you take the 30 seconds to apply it correctly it will last you HOURS. If your Lipsense is not lasting at least 8 hours, reach out and I can help you pinpoint your problem!
With that out of the way, I can continue to tell you about the marvelousness of Lipsense. Lipsense is an all-natural makeup product. (In fact that entire SeneGence company, the parent company for Lipsense is all natural). All of the components of Lipsense are natural. Therefore this product is great for your lips.
In addition, many lip products use wax or beeswax to make the product easily apply to the skin. THESE ARE TERRIBLE FOR YOUR LIPS. Beeswax does not allowing moisturizes to permeate and actually moisturize your lips. This is why often times you find yourself reapply chapsticks or "moisturizing" lipsticks or glosses often because they aren't actually doing your lips any good.
As I mentioned before, during the first few weeks of using Lipsense you will experience your lips exfoliating. This is due to the years of harm you've put your lips through. Even by using SeneGence's Lip Balm, you'll be doing your lips wonders. I once experienced a cracked lip from altitude and climate changes and within hours SeneGence Lip Balm had fixed and healed my cracked lips.
If after the first week or so of using Lipsense you are still experiencing flaking, you're probably applying the product wrong. The application process is very simple. You apply three thin layers of product onto your lips. (What's cool about Lipsense is that you can mix and match to make new colors, so the combinations are truly endless!) Apply your Lipsense all in one direction. Unlike a gloss in which you'll swatch back and forth, you'll apply a thin layer one day and let it dry. Each layer should take about 15 seconds or less to dry. Do not press your lips together, hold your mouth slightly open to make sure your lips do not touch. If your lips do touch the tackiness will cause the color to become patch or to flake off. Once you've applied your three layers (all in the same direction), wait for the Lipsense to dry and then top with your gloss. Gloss is necessary because this is the protective layer for your color. Throughout the day you should not have to apply any additional lip color (unless you eat highly oily foods or experience flaking because you didn't apply enough gloss throughout the day and you're lips are now dry, or a handful of other reasons I listed above.) When you first start wearing Lipsense it will feel like applying gloss is your full-time job for the first few days, but again, but that's because the products you used before were crap and damaged your lips. Even when you are not wearing a lip color, I would still apply the gloss because it's essential (especially during the first week or so, to remoisturize your lips and show them the love they truly deserve).
The color of Lipsense are unreal! What's interesting about this product is that each shade looks different on everybody! Lipsense is created to work with your body's PH to make the lip colors match your unique lip tone. This is why some colors look drastically different on everywhere. Also, this also means that all colors should look good on everyone! (Lipsense also has a great policy that if for some reason you don't like a color, you can send it back and get a new one.) You can wear nudes, pinks to bright color, reds, blues and purples. You can mix and match to make your own colors as well, or create dupes for similar shades. I personally own about 15 colors and will continue to purchase more. It's a great lip product that if used correctly will give you fabulous results!
If I'm wearing Lipsense, I'm guaranteed at least a dozen compliments that day on my lip color!
So the feeling: the lipstick color tingles and almost burns due to the alcohol in the product. I know that this can't possibly be healthy for the lips. (Some representatives try to tell you that it is exfoliating the build up of old wax products on the lips. I sincerely doubt this, I just think it's damage from putting alcohol on your lips.) The gloss feels very heavy, tacky, and uncomfortable and does need to be reapplied to prevent your lips from completely drying out. It is more finicky and difficult to apply than a regular liquid lip. (I was recommended to only swipe color in one direction and do not swipe again until the current layer dries) I did mess up an application and had to remove it with the oops color remover. I would not recommend to anyone with dry lips, or has sensitive skin. I would recommend this to anyone attending a formal event or even just going out to eat. It passes the kiss test as well.
Applying too many layers
Pros: Doesn't transfer, long lasting, easily customizable colors (due to the layering).
Cons: You must reapply gloss pretty often to keep it from drying and flaking. Also, if you mess up and accidentally get some color outside of your lip during application, it is difficult to remove.
I like the Glossy Gloss--it has a thick glossy feel that keeps the color from sticking, and stays put for a reasonable amount of time for a gloss. However, since the color stays on so long, you need to reapply several times through the day, and it causes you to go through it quickly.
I am not a fan of the Matte Gloss--it is amazing how it goes on like a gloss, is lightweight, but you still get that matte finish. That is not something I've experienced with any other gloss. However, the smooth finish only lasts for what feels like 2 minutes before you're having to reapply! It's a neat concept, but not worth the money.
All in all, I think LipSense is a great product if you follow each step correctly and apply gloss throughout the day. The color stays rich and won't wear off.
The other reviewers are right-
1. It will tingle/burn on application.
2. It does dry out your lips so you can’t wear it everyday.
3. You have to follow the directions to a T (ex: 3 coats is a must, ex: you can’t go back over a spot or you will get streaking) when you put on your coats it will feel nasty. Don’t let your lips touch until you apply the topcoat.
4. You must have the topcoat on. When it dries, it flakes.
5. It does not come off easily. I can wake up in the same red lips I went to bed in...
This is a high maintenance product.
So why is it so popular if it is so easy to mess up!!?
The answer is simple: because it does exactly what it promises. I love to offer a kiss to my hubby in bright red lip sense lips... he panics a little- but it truly does not transfer and totally stays put.
I notice the lighter colors and colors with shimmer stay longer. I think it is just more obvious when a bright color begins to fade resulting it a patchy color.
My final thoughts:
I actually do really like this product but prefer to wear it to special events when I need something to really last. I also consider this a lip paint more than a lip stain. The product layers on your skin and does not soak into it.
1) It's pricey. A starter kit (-Color-Gloss-Remover) costs $55. Each individual color costs $25, each gloss is $20.
2) The application takes some getting used to. By no means is this a apply and go product. It takes some time and some practice. It is true that these lippies last ALL DAY and the color looks amazing even after 8 or more hours of wear. It is also true that it STINGS when you first apply the color. I have 2 go-to shades that I absolutely adore. I wear BluRed (the shade on the right) for special occasions and when I want to go full glam. The shade on the left is Purple Reign and it's such a pretty purple shade that's easy to dress up or down. I recommend looking up YouTube videos to learn the proper way to apply Lipsense. (Yes, there's a right and a wrong way) I think Lipsense is great for special occasions or long work days when applying lipstick over and over just isn't possible.
Also, the business model is awful. Please look into the predatory practices of multilevel marketing. There are plenty of documentaries, Facebook groups, Reddit subs, personal testimonies and lawsuits that can help you to understand how horrific these companies can be.
PHOTOS & VIDEOS
See All Photos & Videos