LipSense by SeneGence
LipSense is the premier product of SeneGence and is unlike any conventional lipstick, stain or color. As the original long-lasting lip color, it is waterproof, does not kiss-off, smear-off, rub-off or budge-off! Create your own color palette by combining colors from over 50 shades.see more...
Top Questions See all 193 Q&A
The other reviewers are right-
1. It will tingle/burn on application.
2. It does dry out your lips so you can’t wear it everyday.
3. You have to follow the directions to a T (ex: 3 coats is a must, ex: you can’t go back over a spot or you will get streaking) when you put on your coats it will feel nasty. Don’t let your lips touch until you apply the topcoat.
4. You must have the topcoat on. When it dries, it flakes.
5. It does not come off easily. I can wake up in the same red lips I went to bed in...
This is a high maintenance product.
So why is it so popular if it is so easy to mess up!!?
The answer is simple: because it does exactly what it promises. I love to offer a kiss to my hubby in bright red lip sense lips... he panics a little- but it truly does not transfer and totally stays put.
I notice the lighter colors and colors with shimmer stay longer. I think it is just more obvious when a bright color begins to fade resulting it a patchy color.
My final thoughts:
I actually do really like this product but prefer to wear it to special events when I need something to really last. I also consider this a lip paint more than a lip stain. The product layers on your skin and does not soak into it.
1. Lipsense is a lipstick, is it not a lip stain or gloss. Meaning that you'll get a full color payout.
2. Lipsense should taste you at least 8 hours, it can last up to 18! If your Lipsense is flaking off far before that 8 hour mark, you're either applying it wrong initially or not following up with enough top coat.
3. Lipsense burns when you first apply it because your lips are unmoisturized! If you continue to use the product the burning sensation will not happen anymore. Also, during the first or so you using Lipsense you will experience peeling, flaking because your lips are exfoliating all the toxins and layers of crap you've been applying to your lips before. To combat this, gloss often!
4. This is NOT a finicky or high maintenance product! If you take the 30 seconds to apply it correctly it will last you HOURS. If your Lipsense is not lasting at least 8 hours, reach out and I can help you pinpoint your problem!
With that out of the way, I can continue to tell you about the marvelousness of Lipsense. Lipsense is an all-natural makeup product. (In fact that entire SeneGence company, the parent company for Lipsense is all natural). All of the components of Lipsense are natural. Therefore this product is great for your lips.
In addition, many lip products use wax or beeswax to make the product easily apply to the skin. THESE ARE TERRIBLE FOR YOUR LIPS. Beeswax does not allowing moisturizes to permeate and actually moisturize your lips. This is why often times you find yourself reapply chapsticks or "moisturizing" lipsticks or glosses often because they aren't actually doing your lips any good.
As I mentioned before, during the first few weeks of using Lipsense you will experience your lips exfoliating. This is due to the years of harm you've put your lips through. Even by using SeneGence's Lip Balm, you'll be doing your lips wonders. I once experienced a cracked lip from altitude and climate changes and within hours SeneGence Lip Balm had fixed and healed my cracked lips.
If after the first week or so of using Lipsense you are still experiencing flaking, you're probably applying the product wrong. The application process is very simple. You apply three thin layers of product onto your lips. (What's cool about Lipsense is that you can mix and match to make new colors, so the combinations are truly endless!) Apply your Lipsense all in one direction. Unlike a gloss in which you'll swatch back and forth, you'll apply a thin layer one day and let it dry. Each layer should take about 15 seconds or less to dry. Do not press your lips together, hold your mouth slightly open to make sure your lips do not touch. If your lips do touch the tackiness will cause the color to become patch or to flake off. Once you've applied your three layers (all in the same direction), wait for the Lipsense to dry and then top with your gloss. Gloss is necessary because this is the protective layer for your color. Throughout the day you should not have to apply any additional lip color (unless you eat highly oily foods or experience flaking because you didn't apply enough gloss throughout the day and you're lips are now dry, or a handful of other reasons I listed above.) When you first start wearing Lipsense it will feel like applying gloss is your full-time job for the first few days, but again, but that's because the products you used before were crap and damaged your lips. Even when you are not wearing a lip color, I would still apply the gloss because it's essential (especially during the first week or so, to remoisturize your lips and show them the love they truly deserve).
The color of Lipsense are unreal! What's interesting about this product is that each shade looks different on everybody! Lipsense is created to work with your body's PH to make the lip colors match your unique lip tone. This is why some colors look drastically different on everywhere. Also, this also means that all colors should look good on everyone! (Lipsense also has a great policy that if for some reason you don't like a color, you can send it back and get a new one.) You can wear nudes, pinks to bright color, reds, blues and purples. You can mix and match to make your own colors as well, or create dupes for similar shades. I personally own about 15 colors and will continue to purchase more. It's a great lip product that if used correctly will give you fabulous results!
If I'm wearing Lipsense, I'm guaranteed at least a dozen compliments that day on my lip color!
I would recommend watching some tutorial videos of how to apply the color bc application can affect how long the color lasts.
I have 2 different glosses now and 7 or so colors.
I have heard and read several people say they don’t like it because it burns, however I did not have this problem and I really think it depends on what kind of shape your lips are in and if you used a lot of chapsticks ( I do not so maybe that is why I never had a problem).
Anyways, this stuff does last a whole work day on me and I’ve noticed some colors do last longer than others. You should definitely try this out if you haven’t yet. It has been so nice to not have to keep applying my lipstick constantly or to keep checking to make sure my lips look ok. I know when I wear Lipsense the color will stay on through eating, drinking, brushing teeth, etc with no worries. Incredible stuff!
1) It's pricey. A starter kit (-Color-Gloss-Remover) costs $55. Each individual color costs $25, each gloss is $20.
2) The application takes some getting used to. By no means is this a apply and go product. It takes some time and some practice. It is true that these lippies last ALL DAY and the color looks amazing even after 8 or more hours of wear. It is also true that it STINGS when you first apply the color. I have 2 go-to shades that I absolutely adore. I wear BluRed (the shade on the right) for special occasions and when I want to go full glam. The shade on the left is Purple Reign and it's such a pretty purple shade that's easy to dress up or down. I recommend looking up YouTube videos to learn the proper way to apply Lipsense. (Yes, there's a right and a wrong way) I think Lipsense is great for special occasions or long work days when applying lipstick over and over just isn't possible.
So the feeling: the lipstick color tingles and almost burns due to the alcohol in the product. I know that this can't possibly be healthy for the lips. (Some representatives try to tell you that it is exfoliating the build up of old wax products on the lips. I sincerely doubt this, I just think it's damage from putting alcohol on your lips.) The gloss feels very heavy, tacky, and uncomfortable and does need to be reapplied to prevent your lips from completely drying out. It is more finicky and difficult to apply than a regular liquid lip. (I was recommended to only swipe color in one direction and do not swipe again until the current layer dries) I did mess up an application and had to remove it with the oops color remover. I would not recommend to anyone with dry lips, or has sensitive skin. I would recommend this to anyone attending a formal event or even just going out to eat. It passes the kiss test as well.
Applying too many layers
PHOTOS & VIDEOS
See All Photos & Videos