BY LIME CRIME #4 in Semi-Permanent Hair Color

Making all your hair fantasies come true, Lime Crime's Unicorn Hair will leave your locks silky-smooth, smelling spring fresh and - of course - coloured with brilliantly bold, semi-permanent dye. In the dreamiest line-up of shades, the tints and full-coverage dyes are designed to last a long time and fade gracefully, so you can go on enjoying the colour effects. Kicking off the hypnotic tint hues is pastel baby pink 'Bunny', followed by pastel lilac 'Dilute' and nude 'Sext', while the full-coverage options are deep burgundy-red 'Chocolate Cherry', traffic-stopping orange 'Leeloo', clean vibrant peach 'Neon Peach', warm rose 'Bubblegum rose' and crimson red 'Valentine'. Formulated from only the purest, vegan ingredients, the dyes are gentle on hair and completely cruelty-free.

• How does this compare to like, Manic Panic? Staying power? True t...1 Answers
  • Coffee!!4 Answers
  • Anyone else enjoy doing their hair “unnatural” colors? Let’s see ...2 Answers
Buy on ULTA*
Maria S.
Wilmington, DE
The only reason why I am giving this 2 stars instead of 1 star is because it actually did deposit something resembling color on my hair. That being said, it is splotchy, uneven, and some parts look like different colors than the others. My hair was previously a lavender-smoke-periwinkle color, something I mixed up myself with shades of Punky Colour dye. My wonderful boyfriend knew I wanted to try a dark gray, and ordered me the Lime Crime Charcoal. Being a gift, I put any issues I had with the brand aside, and tried.
I bleached my hair down to a solid, even starting point. I have been using fashion colors for 20 years, but I still followed the directions since it was a new-to-me product. As instructed, I applied the dye, rubbing it in, super-saturating my hair, and left it on for the recommended 1-2 hours (I did 2).  When I rinsed my hair out, it felt like freakin' straw.  This has never happened on me with any other semi-permanent dye that I have used before. So. Very. Dry. So, I am not only angry about the state of my hair, but the color itself is horrid. In some spots, my hair is charcoal. In other spots, my hair is green. In others, it is baby diarrhea green-brown-gray. Some is light, some dark. Not happy at all. I hope I can do some damage control here (and I usually love multi-toned hair.)
tl;dr Don't waste your money, don't waste your time; there are far better, less expensive, more pigmented, and more conditioning semi-permanent dyes on the market.

Update: After two washings, my entire head is a faded Eagles green. No. Just no.
Anam S.
Rch Palos Vrd, CA
It's sort of hard to describe why I love this color. It doesn't pick up on camera. You'll have to remind everyone you dyed your hair. Yet, this bottle of vegan dye carries with it a special witchy magic that'll leave you feeling like a sultry sorceress. The Unicorn Dark line is touted as four shades where those of us with the darkest hair needn't worry with bleaching for a funky tint. After looking at some YouTube reviews where all four shades were tested on black hair, (even though none of the resulting shades were doing a great job of showing up on camera), I went with Sea Witch. It is definitely a tint if you don't lighten your hair at all. But it smells glorious, makes your hair look and feel great, and you walk away with this truly witchy color that is deeper and more dynamic than natural black. The resulting "I know something is different but I can't tell what" is the real witchy effect of the shade, and you'll definitely feel bewitching wearing it. Half a jar was enough to completely soak and saturate my past-shoulder length thick South Asian hair. I *may* lighten just a level or two next time (but there's also a good chance I'll proceed as is on my regular black!) If you're looking for a certain je nais se quois to add to your look, baby you've found it!
Danielle B.
Mc Farland, WI
I can't say that there's anything too amazing about this dye. I honestly wasn't expecting spectacular results, considering I have dark brown hair and didn't bleach my hair first, but Strawberry Jam is supposed to be full-coverage so I thought it might do a better job. I left it on my hair for a whole hour after washing my hair in the shower and letting it dry, but all it did was turn my hair a dark burgundy and stain my scalp/fingernails. It's pretty, but I won't be buying this again.
Leanna W.
Menasha, WI
I bought the color specifically formulated for brown hair (light to medium) and tested Pony on the lightest parts of my hair (which are light golden brown from a balayage I had forever ago) and it turned the strand red. An ugly red at that. I followed their recommendations as well. It needs more work in order to be true to color. To advertise something that is specially formulated for brown hair and imply that it will turn it purple is gimmicky. There are plenty of semi permanent fruit based colors that will ACTUALLY do this without any prior lifting or chemicals. This isn't one of them. I give two stars though, because the consistency is AMAZING. It spreads so well and smells and feels great. It feels like conditioner (which it basically is). Keep this formula and work on the colors and I think it could be really great.
Tracy K.
Bolingbrook , IL
I bought the colors Cherry Chocolate and Valentine and I am in love! I am a professional hairstylist so I usually only use professional color lines on my hair like Pravana and Joico but I had to give these a try. I mixed both colors together and they created the PERFECT red tone on my hair! It bleeds just about as much as Pravana but seems to be lasting longer and fading beautifully. Usually my red fades to an orange red which I don’t love but I’m still getting compliments on the violet toned red my hair is fading into even though it’s been over month since I first colored it. Not only that but it smells amazing! Like perfume!!! They are a bit pricey, but well worth it.
Lynn M.
Cleveland, OH
I really love these dyes! So far I’ve tried Leeloo and Jello and I’ve really enjoyed them both. I’m someone who changes their hair a lot and was super hesitant to stray away from my usual choice of dye. I was definitely very impressed with these though; super even coverage, great pigmentation/color accuracy, pretty long lasting for semi-permanents, and they smell amazing. Even after about a month and a half with each all I really had to was touch up my roots and ends with minimal fading. I’d highly suggest these!
Eli B.
Charleston, WV
DO NOT BUY THE SHADE BUNNY. I was wanting a pastel pink and I started out with already very bleached hair and left the color on for 2 HOURS, and this was the result after I washed the dye out. It did not stick to the ends of my hair AT ALL. I am pretty familiar with hair dye and I know I did it perfectly, but the dye did not work at all. I don't know about the more pigmented colors but I would definitely pass on any of the tints, and from this experience I have no interest in trying the other colors. Would never repurchase this since it doesn't actually stay in your hair. It makes me sad because I do enjoy other Lime Crime products and I believe those things are great quality but this is a hard pass from me.
Alexis A.
Aurora, IL
Let me start off by saying that I’ve had my hair every color of the rainbow, and that I went through the whole *hot topic, manic panic, and color splat phase.. there are still stains on my floor from my teenage “punk rock” angst. But when I decided I wanted to switch things up a bit and go for a nice pastel pink color, this dye was the easiest dye I’ve ever used. This means a lot coming from me because I am NOT even remotely good at dying my own hair.. in fact I’ve probably shown up at ulta, 30 min before closing, with my hood up trying to hide the blotchy uneven color that was *supposed* to be purple begging the stylist to fix my hair at least 3 times. There is no mess with Lime Crime’s Unicorn hair dye, you heard me right. No scrubbing your face raw trying to get streaks of blue off your forehead before work the next morning. This stuff is the real deal. The color came out strong, and my only real complaint is that it faded super fast (oh and btw it fades gracefully back to the hair color you had prior, no ugly weird tone) and the dye didn’t come with instructions, so if you’re not as experienced with hair dying that can be an inconvenience.
Marissa P.
Adams, NY
I tried Anime on my medium brown hair. This is one of the few colors that came out specifically for brunettes to use without having to bleach their hair. I wanted to avoid bleaching my hair since I have fine hair so I gave this a shot (I’ve always wanted blue hair). It came out more of a silvery barely blue tint. I knew going in that it wasn’t going to be bright blue without bleaching but I did expect it to be a bit darker in color than what it is. As much as I like the silver tint, that isn’t what this product was made for. I’m sure it will look good on bleached hair, but if you’re a brunette looking to get blue hair without bleaching, you’re probably out of luck.
Jackie F.
The first one I tried was Charcoal, and it literally did nothing to my hair. (I am medium brunette for reference.) If anything, i at least expected my hair to darken some. I tried Chestnut next and it was better. Not super bright, but I didn’t expect it to be. The color did not pick up evenly though and actually took better to the areas of my hair that had been previously dyed.
Astrid D.
brownsville , TX
Lime crime or manic panic?
Samantha L.
Scarborough , ON
Lime Crime Unicorn Hair Semi-Permanent Hair Color has any used this product? How does the colour look? Is it worth to buy? 🦄
Heaven B.
How long does this semi dye last?Is it pigmented or now?Do you like pervan better or this?
Victoria F.
Spring Valley, CA
How damaging is this on hair?
Tova H.
Vestal, NY
i have really dark brown hair almost black so would i have to bleach im assuming so just wondering ?