BY LIME CRIME #5 in Semi-Permanent Hair Color

Making all your hair fantasies come true, Lime Crime's Unicorn Hair will leave your locks silky-smooth, smelling spring fresh and - of course - coloured with brilliantly bold, semi-permanent dye. In the dreamiest line-up of shades, the tints and full-coverage dyes are designed to last a long time and fade gracefully, so you can go on enjoying the colour effects. Kicking off the hypnotic tint hues is pastel baby pink 'Bunny', followed by pastel lilac 'Dilute' and nude 'Sext', while the full-coverage options are deep burgundy-red 'Chocolate Cherry', traffic-stopping orange 'Leeloo', clean vibrant peach 'Neon Peach', warm rose 'Bubblegum rose' and crimson red 'Valentine'. Formulated from only the purest, vegan ingredients, the dyes are gentle on hair and completely cruelty-free.

• How does this compare to like, Manic Panic? Staying power...1 Answers
  • Coffee!!4 Answers
  • I am soooo excited to try this out, these color look beau...1 Answers
Buy on Amazon.com
Maria S.
Wilmington, DE
Review for: Charcoal (Charcoal Grey) more...
The only reason why I am giving this 2 stars instead of 1 star is because it actually did deposit something resembling color on my hair. That being said, it is splotchy, uneven, and some parts look like different colors than the others. My hair was previously a lavender-smoke-periwinkle color, something I mixed up myself with shades of Punky Colour dye. My wonderful boyfriend knew I wanted to try a dark gray, and ordered me the Lime Crime Charcoal. Being a gift, I put any issues I had with the brand aside, and tried.
I bleached my hair down to a solid, even starting point. I have been using fashion colors for 20 years, but I still followed the directions since it was a new-to-me product. As instructed, I applied the dye, rubbing it in, super-saturating my hair, and left it on for the recommended 1-2 hours (I did 2).  When I rinsed my hair out, it felt like freakin' straw.  This has never happened on me with any other semi-permanent dye that I have used before. So. Very. Dry. So, I am not only angry about the state of my hair, but the color itself is horrid. In some spots, my hair is charcoal. In other spots, my hair is green. In others, it is baby diarrhea green-brown-gray. Some is light, some dark. Not happy at all. I hope I can do some damage control here (and I usually love multi-toned hair.)
tl;dr Don't waste your money, don't waste your time; there are far better, less expensive, more pigmented, and more conditioning semi-permanent dyes on the market.

Update: After two washings, my entire head is a faded Eagles green. No. Just no.
Greg A.
Los Angeles, CA
Review for: Squid (Ink Purple) more...
I recently used Limes crime’s unicorn hair dye in the color squid. I was coming from another like crime color that I wasn’t happy with. I used a lightener to dye my hair brassy blond first, then applied the color on. It’s REALLY dark, so if you’re looking for a color that is fun but not too noticeable then this is for you. Just be aware that it’s closer to black than purple, but has a purple highlight, in the sun. The price is affordable and it comes in a resealable jar for when you want to save some product. I have short hair so I only used half the jar, which was more than enough. The product is super gentle on your hair,especially after bleaching it. The only reason why I’m not giving it 5 stars is because it doesn’t come with gloves or an applicator, so it can get in your hands and stain. Also be careful, it also stains the sink and shower if you don’t wash it off quickly.
Anam S.
Rch Palos Vrd, CA
Review for: Sea Witch (Rich Teal) more...
It's sort of hard to describe why I love this color. It doesn't pick up on camera. You'll have to remind everyone you dyed your hair. Yet, this bottle of vegan dye carries with it a special witchy magic that'll leave you feeling like a sultry sorceress. The Unicorn Dark line is touted as four shades where those of us with the darkest hair needn't worry with bleaching for a funky tint. After looking at some YouTube reviews where all four shades were tested on black hair, (even though none of the resulting shades were doing a great job of showing up on camera), I went with Sea Witch. It is definitely a tint if you don't lighten your hair at all. But it smells glorious, makes your hair look and feel great, and you walk away with this truly witchy color that is deeper and more dynamic than natural black. The resulting "I know something is different but I can't tell what" is the real witchy effect of the shade, and you'll definitely feel bewitching wearing it. Half a jar was enough to completely soak and saturate my past-shoulder length thick South Asian hair. I *may* lighten just a level or two next time (but there's also a good chance I'll proceed as is on my regular black!) If you're looking for a certain je nais se quois to add to your look, baby you've found it!
Aleia B.
Hampton, VA
Review for: Squid (Ink Purple) more...
The only reason I bought this product was because they’re cruelty free, supposedly made with no harsh chemicals and to see if it’d work on darker hair colors (like their advertisement had stated) so my hair wouldn’t have to go through tons of processing to get a lighter color. My hair is a medium brown so in retrospect I probably should’ve chosen a maybe brighter color but the squid color made my hair a sort of coal black color and then faded to a weird green grey. You could see the color but Lime Crime maybe should have more hair care products to accompany the dye to make your hair look less dull, it was a tad bit underwhelming. Very cute packaging and VERY nice aroma.
Eli B.
Charleston, WV
Review for: Juicy (Fuchsia - Full Coverage) more...
DO NOT BUY THE SHADE BUNNY. I was wanting a pastel pink and I started out with already very bleached hair and left the color on for 2 HOURS, and this was the result after I washed the dye out. It did not stick to the ends of my hair AT ALL. I am pretty familiar with hair dye and I know I did it perfectly, but the dye did not work at all. I don't know about the more pigmented colors but I would definitely pass on any of the tints, and from this experience I have no interest in trying the other colors. Would never repurchase this since it doesn't actually stay in your hair. It makes me sad because I do enjoy other Lime Crime products and I believe those things are great quality but this is a hard pass from me.
Marissa P.
Alexandria, VA
Review for: Anime more...
I tried Anime on my medium brown hair. This is one of the few colors that came out specifically for brunettes to use without having to bleach their hair. I wanted to avoid bleaching my hair since I have fine hair so I gave this a shot (I’ve always wanted blue hair). It came out more of a silvery barely blue tint. I knew going in that it wasn’t going to be bright blue without bleaching but I did expect it to be a bit darker in color than what it is. As much as I like the silver tint, that isn’t what this product was made for. I’m sure it will look good on bleached hair, but if you’re a brunette looking to get blue hair without bleaching, you’re probably out of luck.
Ticky H.
Portland
I dye my hair a lot of fashion colours and have opinions on all of them, so I was SUPER excited to try out this range.
I used the shade “Chestnut” (a deep red auburn) to take my hair to a more natural colour over winter to give it a rest from bleaching and general over processing.
I was pretty disappointed in how patchy the colour was, and even less impressed that the colour just bled out of my hair the whole time.
I’d been excited to try one of the more colourful shades in future, but for the price I’d much rather stick to Arctic Fox!
Amberlee M.
Arlington
First of all, I love the packaging and pretty much anything that says Unicorn. I was so excited to try this product. I ordered Seawitch. I was sold by all of the amazing posts I read and Lime Crime's Instagram page. My hair is light brown. I applied this color and left on for 1.5 hours. The package has no instructions but the website says to leave on 30 min to 1.5 hours. I was so pumped because the color was promoted as not as damaging and not as likely to stain everything. Well I beg to differ. My hair was frizzy AF and felt terribly dry after rinsing and air drying. My shower was covers despite using low pressure and gloves. Every shower thereafter was depositing color everywhere. I also had the most patchy green color varying from emerald, ocean green, to teal. There was even application all over. My profile photo depicts the same color using Joico. I use Joico normally. I will stick with that brand.
Britny G.
Matawan, NJ
Review for: Valentine (Crimson Red) more...
I was blown away by how well this worked. My hair was medium/light brown prior to coloring. It was red but it faded, and still had a hint of red. I looked online to see how the swatch would show up on that color and it said it would more so add a tint. It said that for thick medium hair you would need 2 containers. Turns out I barely even finished one container and I have extremely thick hair. The color came out even brighter than suggested and I was in total shock. It looks so amazing! I couldn’t believe how bright and vibrant it turned out. It makes your hair feel amazing since it conditions as it deposits. Can’t wait to see how long the color holds up.
Jenna B.
San Diego, CA
Review for: Pony more...
I was a bit skeptical about this stuff, but fell in LOVE with the color Pony! Leaving the color on for over an hour wasn’t a big deal (I just popped on a movie) - I was so impressed when i washed it out- barely any color cake off in the wash- it had all deposited into my hair and holy cow- the color was GORGEOUS! It held up and faded out evenly and very pretty. I want to try other colors now!
Astrid D.
Brownsville, TX
Lime crime or manic panic?
Samantha L.
Scarborough , ON
Lime Crime Unicorn Hair Full Coverage has any used this product? How does the colour look? Is it worth to buy? 🦄
Heaven B.
How long does this semi dye last?Is it pigmented or now?Do you like pervan better or this?
Victoria F.
Spring Valley, CA
How damaging is this on hair?
Tova L.
Wayne, NJ
i have really dark brown hair almost black so would i have to bleach im assuming so just wondering ?