BY LIFE OF PI #98 in Books

• Is this book worth reading?1 Answers
  • I have this on my bookshelf but haven't got to it yet, is it worth ...1 Answers
  • Is the book better then the movie ?1 Answers
Life of Pi
  • "I remember reading this book for summer reading for high school and at first I couldn't get into it and after the first chapter I didn't want to put the book down." in 6 reviews
Angela D.
Angela D.
Los Angeles, CA
I was required to read this in lit class my junior year of high school, so I wasn't expecting to enjoy it. Boy was I wrong! "Life of Pi" is spectacular. It was the only book that I read cover-to-cover :) the plot twist at the end is so unexpected that I just wanted to re-read the whole book.
Olivia N.
Olivia N.
Just as with the movie, I found myself not quite understanding the hype that surrounded this book. It's definitely different, shocking at times, but that didn't make it as impacting a read for me.
Blanca G.
Blanca G.
Kissimmee, FL
Awesome...such a great story. If you don't enjoy reading (can't imagine how) at least watch the movie. Inspiring.
Curtis E.
Curtis E.
Where to begin. Ever since this book was released in 2001 on one of the most terror filled days in american history, it has given us an unwavering view of world religions and many aspects of these religions. While exploring many different symbols and discovering hidden clues, readers will be enthralled in Pi's character and how he kept his sanity those 227 days stranded out at sea.
Kimberly M.
Kimberly M.
Temecula, CA
Pi had an amazing life if you believe his incredible stories are fact. It is never really clear, because the writer wants you to believe what you want. I think the stories are real. Read the book before you watch the movie. Although the movie is great, the book is better.
Traci S.
Traci S.
Rexburg, ID
This book is a little slow and hard to get into at first. If I wasn't reading it
for a book club I probably wouldn't have finished it. I am glad I did though
as it did finally get interesting and gave the reader lots to think about.
Dra K.
Dra K.
I found the book very disturbing - it wasn't uncomfortable to read, but the realness of it and the twisted ending was very unexpected.
Stephanie H.
Stephanie H.
This is a really good book! I loved it way better than the movie and often suggest it to people when looking for a good read.
Katherine W.
Katherine W.
Deerfield Beach, FL
Beginning the book was kind of hard. I felt it was slow. As the book progressed it got better, but I'm the type that if I'm not hooked right away, it'll be hard to finish.
Tayler M.
Tayler M.
Lewisville, TX
Introspective, reflective books aren't necessarily my favorites. I love fantasy and historical fiction because they are full of intrigue, magic, and adventure. Life of Pi is most definitely not that. I did enjoy the first part, though, when Pi was describing his childhood and his introductions with religion. For some reason, I just kept thinking of Kite Runner in how others around him affected his philosophy on life. I do like that Pi argues you can belong to more than one religion. In my eyes, different religions have wonderful, beautiful themes about them. As you could tell with my review of The Secret History of the World, I do truly believe all religions are connected with each other, so it would make sense that Pi would see the logic in being a Hindu, Christian, and Muslim all at the same time.

However, where my problem lay is that the main plot of the book is his survival on a life boat. It seemed too Robinson Crusoe for me and I hated that book. That is one thing I typically don't like about survival stories, no matter what length, no matter what audience. They are all typically the same:
"Today I did inventory of my supplies. I have ## of this, ## of that, and ## of these."
"I fished and was able to get a fish after hours of trying."
"I tried a new food I never thought I'd eat, but I'm starving, so I have to."
"My life was almost ended today because of ____ but I was saved from death for some unknown reasons to me."
"I miss my life and my family."
It's a little repetitive and boring to me. I liked his interaction a lot more with Richard Parker and his attempts to train the tiger, than I did Pi recounting what he did to survive. It was a very slow-paced book, but at the same time, an easy, quick read.

I did really like the end, when the two Japanese workers came to interview Pi. They wanted a "real" story, and Pi gave them a parallel story with human survivors rather than animals. Almost immediately after the first paragraph, I was able to identify each human survivor with the animal and realized, it may or may not have been true, and Pi may or may not have envisioned this alternate reality to deal with all the trauma he'd been through. I really, really liked that. Then, after his story ended, the Japanese talked among themselves and explained the whole parallelism to us. I was able to figure it out on my own--it wasn't that hard. I don't think it was needed to spell it out for us.
Hannah S.
Hannah S.
Redlands, Ca
Which story do you believe and why?
Michelle L.
Michelle L.
Holyoke, MA
Would you recommend this book? Should I read it?
Victoria A.
Victoria A.
Warren, OH
Loved the movie, is the book just as good....or better? or hopefully not worse ?
Gracie G.
Gracie G.
Was this a good book? Was it a good movie?
Migdalia Q.
Migdalia Q.
Is the book better than the movie, like it usually is?