BY LIFE OF PI #97 in Books

Life of Pi
  • "I remember reading this book for summer reading for high school and at first I couldn't get into it and after the first chapter I didn't want to put the book down." in 6 reviews
Tayler M.
Tayler M.
Lewisville, TX
Introspective, reflective books aren't necessarily my favorites. I love fantasy and historical fiction because they are full of intrigue, magic, and adventure. Life of Pi is most definitely not that. I did enjoy the first part, though, when Pi was describing his childhood and his introductions with religion. For some reason, I just kept thinking of Kite Runner in how others around him affected his philosophy on life. I do like that Pi argues you can belong to more than one religion. In my eyes, different religions have wonderful, beautiful themes about them. As you could tell with my review of The Secret History of the World, I do truly believe all religions are connected with each other, so it would make sense that Pi would see the logic in being a Hindu, Christian, and Muslim all at the same time.

However, where my problem lay is that the main plot of the book is his survival on a life boat. It seemed too Robinson Crusoe for me and I hated that book. That is one thing I typically don't like about survival stories, no matter what length, no matter what audience. They are all typically the same:
"Today I did inventory of my supplies. I have ## of this, ## of that, and ## of these."
"I fished and was able to get a fish after hours of trying."
"I tried a new food I never thought I'd eat, but I'm starving, so I have to."
"My life was almost ended today because of ____ but I was saved from death for some unknown reasons to me."
"I miss my life and my family."
It's a little repetitive and boring to me. I liked his interaction a lot more with Richard Parker and his attempts to train the tiger, than I did Pi recounting what he did to survive. It was a very slow-paced book, but at the same time, an easy, quick read.

I did really like the end, when the two Japanese workers came to interview Pi. They wanted a "real" story, and Pi gave them a parallel story with human survivors rather than animals. Almost immediately after the first paragraph, I was able to identify each human survivor with the animal and realized, it may or may not have been true, and Pi may or may not have envisioned this alternate reality to deal with all the trauma he'd been through. I really, really liked that. Then, after his story ended, the Japanese talked among themselves and explained the whole parallelism to us. I was able to figure it out on my own--it wasn't that hard. I don't think it was needed to spell it out for us.
Katherine W.
Katherine W.
Deerfield Beach, FL
Beginning the book was kind of hard. I felt it was slow. As the book progressed it got better, but I'm the type that if I'm not hooked right away, it'll be hard to finish.
Tiffany P.
Tiffany P.
Jenkinsburg, GA
This is one of my all time favorite books. To me it is not too slow to start. It gets interesting very quickly. I read this in my AP english class, and wrote one of my best papers on it. I was so exited to see it coming out as a movie, The movie was great too. If you like adventure stories this one is for you. It is definitely sad, and you might shed a few tears, I know I did. The tale is amazing and I like the fact that you get to pick which story you believe. I think it shows you you truly are when picking a side.
Julie K.
Julie K.
Coatesville, PA
This book is fantastic. I actually listened to the audiobook version which was wonderfully narrated. I couldn't "put it down" ! I could visualize everything the narrator was describing, and feel all the sorrow and pain he feels as he's adrift in the ocean. The twist at the end is jaw dropping!
Megan P.
Megan P.
Buffalo, NY
I remember picking up this book on a whim not expecting much, and finishing it wanting more. The Life of Pi is as quirky as it is captivating. Although the book is a bit gruesome and takes some nasty turns, overall the story of perseverance you see is one that keeps you engaged and reading until the very end!
Kristine P.
Kristine P.
Lafayette , IN
I had to read this for one of my college literature classes. I really enjoyed the discussions we had and the book brought out great dialogue between classmates. The movie was good too, but I typically don't enjoy the movies near as much as the books. I would highly recommend this read!
Tina H.
Tina H.
Van Nuys, CA
So I saw the movie first but did not really pay any attention to it. I discussed some movies with a co-worker and as she explained this movie's plot, I knew I had to read the book. Although I knew the storyline, it was still intriguing to read.
Janet L.
Janet L.
Chevy Chase, MD
The book is rather slow, not much really happens (if you've seen trailers of the movie that recently came out, you might understand why). However, Martel describes everything with such detailed language. This was one of those books I had to put down and pick back up to reread before I really understood the book.
Shannon D.
Shannon D.
I loved this book (and it was a very well done movie as well if you haven't checked that out). I love books that aren't straight forward or black and white with their conclusions. This one leaves the conclusion up to the reader. So cool.
Amanda S.
Amanda S.
Gastonia, NC
I thought this was a good book, but it was kind of boring. There wasn't a whole lot of action and I can't figure out how they made a movie out of it. It doesn't seem like it would be an exciting movie.
Hannah S.
Hannah S.
Redlands, Ca
Which story do you believe and why?
Michelle L.
Michelle L.
Holyoke, MA
Would you recommend this book? Should I read it?
Victoria A.
Victoria A.
Warren, OH
Loved the movie, is the book just as good....or better? or hopefully not worse ?
Gracie G.
Gracie G.
Was this a good book? Was it a good movie?
Migdalia Q.
Migdalia Q.
Is the book better than the movie, like it usually is?