BY LIFE OF PI #90 in Books

• Is this book worth reading?1 Answers
  • I have this on my bookshelf but haven't got to it yet, is it wort...1 Answers
  • Is the book better then the movie ?1 Answers
Life of Pi
  • "I remember reading this book for summer reading for high school and at first I couldn't get into it and after the first chapter I didn't want to put the book down." in 6 reviews
Roxy G.
Rochester, NY
I picked up this book about 10 years ago while my family was on a skiing trip in NH. It was on the top seller shelf and I was drawn to the word Pi in the title so I curled up with a blanket next to the fire and learned quickly it was a beautifully clever story of a man named Pi. When the preview aired I called out "Life of Pi" moments into the clip and my son asked how I knew the name. I told him that this book deserved to be seen by all. Although the book is always better, I feel that the movie was worthy.
Jennifer W.
Wilmington, DE
O M G, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this novel. I read it one summer, while lounging at the pool. I could not put it down. It does start out slow in the beginning but keep pushing through it and when the story really starts to pick up, it's amazing!
Tamara S.
A lot of people talked about how the beginning was slow, but I loved Pi's journey through the different religions, piecing together the idea that the three main religions of the world are connected--because they are all Abrahamic religions. And then when the shipwreck happened, things got even more amazing. If you've read the book and loved it, then watch the movie because it puts everything into a beautiful perspective that you would've never imagined.
Janet L.
Chevy Chase, MD
The book is rather slow, not much really happens (if you've seen trailers of the movie that recently came out, you might understand why). However, Martel describes everything with such detailed language. This was one of those books I had to put down and pick back up to reread before I really understood the book.
Krystal G.
Pataskala, OH
I enjoyed Life of Pi because it was such a unique tale. It was times thrilling, other times heartbreaking, occasionally funny, and heartwarming. Pi definitely takes you through the emotional wringer, but it's worth it.
Hannah S.
Redlands, Ca
I actually havnt read the book, but after seeing the movie I really would like to. This film was so well done and so beautiful. I loved it. I love everything I got from it. It left a lot worthy questions. One of those movies you need to watch more than once so you can see get two different perspectives of it.
Amanda T.
I guess I just don't get it. I t it was all pretty ridiculous and cheesy. The start of the book was interesting, but it turned south fast and at the end I was actually disappointed I had invested my time to read this book. Obviously the majority loves it, so I'm in the minority and I recognize that.
Julie H.
Coatesville, PA
This book is fantastic. I actually listened to the audiobook version which was wonderfully narrated. I couldn't "put it down" ! I could visualize everything the narrator was describing, and feel all the sorrow and pain he feels as he's adrift in the ocean. The twist at the end is jaw dropping!
Samantha D.
Dothan, AL
While this book had some interesting parts, the majority of it was long descriptions. Even as an avid reader, I sometimes found myself drifting off while I was reading. The book also was a bit confusing in its talk of Pi's spirituality, as he has so many different, conflicting spiritual ideals.
Sarah H.
Smithfield, IL
Just started reading this over the weekend and so far I like it. I'm not sure why others had issues with it being slow, because I have that issue too sometimes, but this book didn't have that for me. Not so far anyway.
Hannah S.
Redlands, Ca
Which story do you believe and why?
Michelle L.
Holyoke, MA
Would you recommend this book? Should I read it?
Victoria A.
Warren, OH
Loved the movie, is the book just as good....or better? or hopefully not worse ?
Migdalia Q.
Is the book better than the movie, like it usually is?
Gracie G.
Was this a good book? Was it a good movie?