BY LIFE OF PI #90 in Books

• Is this book worth reading?1 Answers
  • I have this on my bookshelf but haven't got to it yet, is it wort...1 Answers
  • Is the book better then the movie ?1 Answers
Life of Pi
  • "I remember reading this book for summer reading for high school and at first I couldn't get into it and after the first chapter I didn't want to put the book down." in 6 reviews
Arliss A.
Georgetown, IN
Bookworm Expert
My daughter had to read this book for summer reading in high school. We ended up getting the audio version and I listened with her. We had difficulty stopping at times. This is a wonderful story and so good at keeping your interest. The movie made later is also wonderful!
Sarah B.
Temple, TX
The overall impression of this book in the beginning is boring and slow; it takes reading it twice to realize the genius of the entire novel. It is incredible. I read it once for pleasure and re-read it again when it was assigned for school and it was amazing how much more I understood and enjoyed the book. I was literally sitting in awe as I read and understood the true depths of the "boring" intro. If you must, skim through the first part of the book, but go back after you have read the story and you will finally understand why it is absolutely brilliant.
Erin E.
Great read! A boy gets wrecked onto a boat with a live tiger in the middle of the ocean. The two learn to survive, however, he has to remember the tiger is a wild animal. Amazing story as the two live in a small boat until they find land! Somewhat magical!
Caroline F.
Wilmington, NC
Life of Pi is a rumination on human nature, the ways of faith, and what can be called "truth." This book is highly spiritual and beautifully written--but it is not adventure-filled. A lot of the book is filled with detail of the grueling day to day life of someone lost at sea...and then there's all the stuff about the tiger, too. Too many people saw the movie and expected something very different from the book than what it is, but if you appreciate great writing by an author who can make you believe something as fantastical as what takes place in this book, do yourself a favor and pick it up (and then maybe watch the movie. Or don't. It's really not that good).
Noralee R.
Fort Worth, TX
I read this book for summer reading when I was a senior in AP English in 2011. I hated it at first because the beginning is quite slow. It is the narrator talking about animals for a good amount of time, but if you can get through the introduction, which is important to the story, then you're golden. The rest of the book flew by so quickly and I really enjoyed it. This book will give you great perspectives on trigger topics such as, religion, trauma, and isolation. It is worth the read.
Kimberly B.
Germantown, MD
BUT it never happened. I gave it the old college try, but this book just never got there for me. I found it boring, hard to follow, and hard to get through. I read books voraciously, so after hearing all the rave reviews, I tried so hard to get through it. I actually felt kind of bad about myself when I was done with it, because I just didn't get it and I felt like I should have gotten something out of it, the way people were talking about this book. Just my opinion, but this was not for me.
Brittany W.
To be honest, when I first read this book after being assigned it for school, it absolutely freaked me out. The first bit of it was somewhat slow, but manageable. I did have to keep taking breaks, but for a school assignment, it wasn't bad. Then, the ending. Wow. I have to say, there are few books where I don't guess the plot twist or the "surprise" ending. This book was one of them. I still haven't seen the movie, so I can't compare it to the book yet, but this is definitely worth a read.
Kelsie M.
Pleasant Hls, PA
This book will either hook you or bore you.

For me, I'm personally not a huge religious person so the first part of the book was really slow for me. I just wanted to get to the boat. I just couldn't get into it.

I have many friends who loved his religious journey throughout the beginning of the book and then were hooked to finish it. I think that if you think you would enjoy Part 1 of the book then go for it!
shipra M.
Jersey City, NJ
I loved movie better....the magnitude of the story hits you in the end the story. The book story doesn't grip me in the beginning...the actual adventure start on the boat. The beautiful narration of the boat part till the end keeps you hooked. the movie was engaging from beginning to the end. After the movie ends your thoughts take u deep a potentially horrific story portrayed excellently
Rachael P.
When i read this a few years ago it was hard for me to get into at first, but after about 50 pages i couldn't stop reading it. I loved the story and it raised a lot of questions for me. I think I could have really long discussions on this book and the meaning and analyzing the text. I know it's used in high school for summer reading now, but I think it's a light read that anyone can enjoy.
Hannah S.
Redlands, Ca
Which story do you believe and why?
Michelle L.
Holyoke, MA
Would you recommend this book? Should I read it?
Victoria A.
Warren, OH
Loved the movie, is the book just as good....or better? or hopefully not worse ?
Migdalia Q.
Is the book better than the movie, like it usually is?
Gracie G.
Was this a good book? Was it a good movie?