BY LIFE OF PI

• Is this book worth reading?1 Answers
  • I have this on my bookshelf but haven't got to it yet, is it wort...1 Answers
  • Is the book better then the movie ?1 Answers
Life of Pi
  • "I remember reading this book for summer reading for high school and at first I couldn't get into it and after the first chapter I didn't want to put the book down." in 6 reviews
Kayla C.
I read this book two years ago, but when we discussed it this month for book club, I remembered how much I liked it. A good discussion always ups my appreciation of a novel as does an ending that makes me requestion my givens in the story. I find myself reading contradictory interpretations and agreeing with both sides. That's the beauty of symbolism: as long as you back up your cause, it's plausible.
Sarah B.
Temple, TX
The overall impression of this book in the beginning is boring and slow; it takes reading it twice to realize the genius of the entire novel. It is incredible. I read it once for pleasure and re-read it again when it was assigned for school and it was amazing how much more I understood and enjoyed the book. I was literally sitting in awe as I read and understood the true depths of the "boring" intro. If you must, skim through the first part of the book, but go back after you have read the story and you will finally understand why it is absolutely brilliant.
Tiffany P.
Jenkinsburg, GA
This is one of my all time favorite books. To me it is not too slow to start. It gets interesting very quickly. I read this in my AP english class, and wrote one of my best papers on it. I was so exited to see it coming out as a movie, The movie was great too. If you like adventure stories this one is for you. It is definitely sad, and you might shed a few tears, I know I did. The tale is amazing and I like the fact that you get to pick which story you believe. I think it shows you you truly are when picking a side.
Caroline F.
Wilmington, NC
Life of Pi is a rumination on human nature, the ways of faith, and what can be called "truth." This book is highly spiritual and beautifully written--but it is not adventure-filled. A lot of the book is filled with detail of the grueling day to day life of someone lost at sea...and then there's all the stuff about the tiger, too. Too many people saw the movie and expected something very different from the book than what it is, but if you appreciate great writing by an author who can make you believe something as fantastical as what takes place in this book, do yourself a favor and pick it up (and then maybe watch the movie. Or don't. It's really not that good).
Noralee R.
fort worth, TX
I read this book for summer reading when I was a senior in AP English in 2011. I hated it at first because the beginning is quite slow. It is the narrator talking about animals for a good amount of time, but if you can get through the introduction, which is important to the story, then you're golden. The rest of the book flew by so quickly and I really enjoyed it. This book will give you great perspectives on trigger topics such as, religion, trauma, and isolation. It is worth the read.
Brittany W.
To be honest, when I first read this book after being assigned it for school, it absolutely freaked me out. The first bit of it was somewhat slow, but manageable. I did have to keep taking breaks, but for a school assignment, it wasn't bad. Then, the ending. Wow. I have to say, there are few books where I don't guess the plot twist or the "surprise" ending. This book was one of them. I still haven't seen the movie, so I can't compare it to the book yet, but this is definitely worth a read.
Kimberly B.
Germantown , MD
BUT it never happened. I gave it the old college try, but this book just never got there for me. I found it boring, hard to follow, and hard to get through. I read books voraciously, so after hearing all the rave reviews, I tried so hard to get through it. I actually felt kind of bad about myself when I was done with it, because I just didn't get it and I felt like I should have gotten something out of it, the way people were talking about this book. Just my opinion, but this was not for me.
Kelsie M.
Pleasant Hls, PA
This book will either hook you or bore you.

For me, I'm personally not a huge religious person so the first part of the book was really slow for me. I just wanted to get to the boat. I just couldn't get into it.

I have many friends who loved his religious journey throughout the beginning of the book and then were hooked to finish it. I think that if you think you would enjoy Part 1 of the book then go for it!
Miranda W.
North Port, FL
I read this book in high school and I must admit it was one of those books where I didn't really want to read it so I didn't start until halfway through. But what I did read was pretty good. It was interesting enough to make me go watch the movie so I could catch up on what was going on.
Natalie M.
Shakopee, MN
This book is very intelligently written. I love the idea that the main character loves god so much that he practices all religions. There is a lot of symbolism in this book and deep thinking at the end. I am not sure the movie really did it justice. If you like smart books this is for you.
Hannah S.
Redlands, Ca
Which story do you believe and why?
Michelle L.
Holyoke, MA
Would you recommend this book? Should I read it?
Victoria A.
Warren, OH
Loved the movie, is the book just as good....or better? or hopefully not worse ?
Katherine A.
Saint Petersburg, FL
I've heard many pros and cons about this book. I've heard that the Movie is great.. what is with this "certain people should only read this" and its "targeted for certain people". does this book really pertain to racism? In your honest opinion, without ANY racism, please tell me why i should or shouldn't buy this book.
Amy W.
Los Angeles, CA
I saw the movie and loved it so much that I bought the book but never got around to reading it - is it worth it?