BY LIFE OF PI #90 in Books

• Is this book worth reading?1 Answers
  • I have this on my bookshelf but haven't got to it yet, is it wort...1 Answers
  • Is the book better then the movie ?1 Answers
Life of Pi
  • "I remember reading this book for summer reading for high school and at first I couldn't get into it and after the first chapter I didn't want to put the book down." in 6 reviews
maty s.
I love this book! Its even more beautifulreading it thsn watching the movie. I have given several copies as gifts!
Julia F.
The beginning started a little slow but I stuck with it. The Life of Pi is a surprising tale about survival .
Leticia L.
BURLINGTON, MA
I loved this book and was so happy when it was made into a movie. This book is so pretty and well written. It tells the story of Piscine Molitor "Pi" Patel, an Indian boy who explores issues of spirituality and practicality from an early age. Pi is raised as a Hindu who practices vegetarianism. At the age of fourteen, he investigates Christianity and Islam, and decides to become an adherent of all three religions, much to his parents' dismay, saying he "just wants to love God." He tries to understand God through the lens of each religion, and comes to recognize benefits in each one - I found this particularly interesting.
A few years later Pi's father decides to sell his zoo and emigrate with his wife and sons to Canada. Pi survives 227 days after a shipwreck while stranded on a lifeboat in the Pacific Ocean with a Bengal tiger named Richard Parker. Both the book and the movie will make you laugh, cry and will melt your heart all at once.
Amy R.
Alpharetta, GA
So, I am not thinking "life changing" or anything but a very good story. It was almost like you are on an adventure with Pi and it's a very creative adventure. I can only think to compare it to those old Disney Sunday movies. Pi's time on the life boat was the most interesting to me. Before that, I felt like the book was dragging a bit and in the end I was slightly disappointed but I think overall it was a really good read! Fun, if nothing else and you get to learn a lot about animals! :)
Britney A.
Gresham, OR
Bookworm Expert
I watched the movie and I've been wanting to read the book too! It looks like it is so well written! Maybe I'll go to the library and ask if they have the book :)
Brittney S.
Rainsville, AL
I personally feel that the book is not there to give a good feeling. I read it to the end but I admit there were some points in the book where I felt impatient. However, this is a good reason to continue reading it rather than put it down! I feel like it gets better as it goes along (most of the first part of the book was a little bit pointless in my opinion) and most definitely the third part of the book is extremely crucial to the entire story. I urge you to find the time to fit it in your schedule as you will find out that it is more than just a boy stuck on a boat with a tiger.
Tayler M.
Lewisville, TX
Introspective, reflective books aren't necessarily my favorites. I love fantasy and historical fiction because they are full of intrigue, magic, and adventure. Life of Pi is most definitely not that. I did enjoy the first part, though, when Pi was describing his childhood and his introductions with religion. For some reason, I just kept thinking of Kite Runner in how others around him affected his philosophy on life. I do like that Pi argues you can belong to more than one religion. In my eyes, different religions have wonderful, beautiful themes about them. As you could tell with my review of The Secret History of the World, I do truly believe all religions are connected with each other, so it would make sense that Pi would see the logic in being a Hindu, Christian, and Muslim all at the same time.

However, where my problem lay is that the main plot of the book is his survival on a life boat. It seemed too Robinson Crusoe for me and I hated that book. That is one thing I typically don't like about survival stories, no matter what length, no matter what audience. They are all typically the same:
"Today I did inventory of my supplies. I have ## of this, ## of that, and ## of these."
"I fished and was able to get a fish after hours of trying."
"I tried a new food I never thought I'd eat, but I'm starving, so I have to."
"My life was almost ended today because of ____ but I was saved from death for some unknown reasons to me."
"I miss my life and my family."
It's a little repetitive and boring to me. I liked his interaction a lot more with Richard Parker and his attempts to train the tiger, than I did Pi recounting what he did to survive. It was a very slow-paced book, but at the same time, an easy, quick read.

I did really like the end, when the two Japanese workers came to interview Pi. They wanted a "real" story, and Pi gave them a parallel story with human survivors rather than animals. Almost immediately after the first paragraph, I was able to identify each human survivor with the animal and realized, it may or may not have been true, and Pi may or may not have envisioned this alternate reality to deal with all the trauma he'd been through. I really, really liked that. Then, after his story ended, the Japanese talked among themselves and explained the whole parallelism to us. I was able to figure it out on my own--it wasn't that hard. I don't think it was needed to spell it out for us.
Megan P.
Buffalo, NY
I remember picking up this book on a whim not expecting much, and finishing it wanting more. The Life of Pi is as quirky as it is captivating. Although the book is a bit gruesome and takes some nasty turns, overall the story of perseverance you see is one that keeps you engaged and reading until the very end!
Ana C.
I haven't read the book yet :-( but did have an opportunity to watch the film. I did really enjoy the film and have high expectations for the book, which I plan on reading soon. Seems the book is always better.
katherine c.
miami, FL
esta pelicula sin duda alguna me conmovio muchisimo es de esas peliculas que vale la pena ver miles de veces ya que te hace llamado a reflexion!!! es buenisima para verla con toda la familia chicos se las recomiendo con los ojos cerrados es bellisima
Hannah S.
Redlands, Ca
Which story do you believe and why?
Michelle L.
Holyoke, MA
Would you recommend this book? Should I read it?
Victoria A.
Warren, OH
Loved the movie, is the book just as good....or better? or hopefully not worse ?
Migdalia Q.
Is the book better than the movie, like it usually is?
Gracie G.
Was this a good book? Was it a good movie?