LG Optimus Zip (Straight Talk)
  • "I don't like it when I am forced to use touch screen keyboards." in 2 reviews
  • "I have tons of messages saved, pictures, videos, downloads, and apps and it still works great." in 1 review
  • "It was a great phone because of the keyboard and it would fit in your pocket." in 1 review
  • "It didn't have anything special on it, but it was one of the first smart phones of straight talk." in 1 review
  • "Charging the battery if you are at let’s say 15-10 percent of battery life left, doesn't take very long to charge the phone to 100 percent." in 1 review
Christa S.
Oneonta, NY
The LG Optimus Zip features the already outdated Gingerbread OS and ICS or Jelly Bean update is out of question, so most likely this is all you will get. Of course you can apply a custom ROM anytime, or a beta software but it’s not the same.
There are a few things to consider before buying this phone. One of the things (and this is a big one and the biggest one to consider) is that the internal on-board memory is bad, so most likely you will always have an issue with low memory. Especially with all the updates for the pre-installed Google apps which you can take off even if you don’t use them. But the one way around this issue is to go into your Google play store settings and un-check update automatically and when you get notifications for updates only update the apps you really want, need or use. The go into your phone settings applications, manage applications and uninstall any updates to the apps you don’t care for or use. That is what I did and now I have no issues unless I install a bunch of apps. the second issue I have encountered is the onscreen calibration seems to be sensitive and a bit off. So let’s say your texting someone (and this is just an example) we need toilet paper. When you hit a letter key sometimes it seems to get pressed 3-4 extra times so it may look like we nnneeeed toillllet paper. Other than those two things, everything seems to be good. Charging the battery if you are at let’s say 15-10 percent of battery life left, doesn't take very long to charge the phone to 100 percent. The estimate time is about 1 hour. At least for me it is. Charging relatively does not take long at all and is fairly quicker than some other phones I have which I will be reviewing them too.
Link to my full Review http://ask-mama-reviews.Blogspot.com/2013/01/lg-optimus-zip-android-phone.html
Michelle N.
Summerfield, KS
This is a "sidekick" phone that opens to the left with four actual buttons on the front, volume rocker on the left side, camera button on the right, power button on the top, and a decent sized screen. The keyboard buttons are a decent size as well.

My phone works well, and the volume for the ringer as well as calls/speakerphone are very good and loud. This is a very easy phone to operate and learn. It comes with a GPS navigator on it, and it's free, works with the location based services. The charger is a standard micro USB charger, which is becoming more the norm on cell phones.

The phone has a 3.2MP camera and sometimes it rivals my Fuji camera. It has a continuous shot setting, timer setting, and various filters you can use.
There are only two things I don't like about the phone:

1: The internal memory is small when it comes to apps. 16MB is not much at all, and not all apps can be saved to the microSD card. Sometimes I have to clear the data on one app to have room to download another app. Another way of creating space is to have the apps not auto download updates.

2. It's difficult for the average user to customize ringtones. You have to download this app, and then move these files to this folder and then the ringtones will still only work for the text messages. I was able to do it with instruction, but I wouldn't have been able to figure it out on my own. My sister has the same phone, and I gave her the instructions, and tried walking her through it, and she was not able to get it. She is the epitome of the average user.

Other than that, I really like the phone.
Corey H.
I've had this phone for a couple years now and I've got to say, this thing has run as smoothly as I ever possibly could. The phone is decent, and I've got to say that I'm in love with real keyboards! It's one of the main reasons why I got it! I don't like it when I am forced to use touch screen keyboards. I hate those things. This did just about everything I generally wanted it to do, but god is the internal memory really bad. Even when you have a micro SD card, not a lot of the apps on the google play store even have an "SD card" functionality. How dumb is that? If you're going to brag about your external memory for your android phones, your apps should at least be able to go onto the SD card easily. Outside of that minor complaint, this is an overall decent phone. It has a decent sized screen, and does a lot of the things I generally use it for. Communication. I can get things like skype, twitter, tumblr, and steam and still be able to communicate with my friends.

If I have one complaint though, its that this phone seems to "die off" within about a year or two. While it still runs, it starts having a whole lot of issues where things won't run, or programs won't start, a lot of crashing happens and at that point it's time to get a new phone.
April W.
I love this phone, I have had this one for a few years, but previously I had the Verizon twin of it since 2007. I switched to Straight Talk for unlimited everything for a cheaper price and better coverage (all-in-all a great decision). I love that this phone is a smartphone, but it is still simple and has the slide-out QWERTY keyboard. I have to have a physical keyboard when typing long messages or whatever. Overall this phone is fast, smart, and has a decent camera. It also has a decent amount of storage space, but I bought a bigger SD card for it because I take a ton of pictures.
Ashlee A.
I've had this phone for about four months now, and I love it! Its got a touch screen and a key board which is very helpful. Internal memory isn't great, but it came with a SD card and I bought one with more memory way before I needed it, just in case. I have tons of messages saved, pictures, videos, downloads, and apps and it still works great. I do have to occasionally clear the cache on certain apps that take up a lot of space. I get great signal pretty much every where I go. It's an overall good phone and service plan. Hard to beat a smart phone for $45 a month.
Kayla H.
Bristol, TN
The phone was alright whenever I first had it, but I got bored of it very fast. It didn't have anything special on it, but it was one of the first smart phones of straight talk. I would never buy it again. I had to order and replace multiple batteries for this phone, as well.
Cinnamon C.
Boardman, OH
Techie Expert Level 4
For a general smartphone with no high tech capabilities this phone works great. I like the fact that it still gives you the option of the slide out keyboard which isn't available with any new high tech phone.
Erin R.
Brianna M.
I had this and it worked great! I never had any issues with it! It's small and easy to put in pocket so you don't have to worry about your phone falling out!
Mandy H.
Pontoon Beach, IL
I loved the keyboard on this phone. I left it in my car on a hot day and it fried it. I miss this phone. However, the storage on it really sucked!