BY LEGO

LEGO The Lord of the Rings
  • "Wandering around Middle Earth in search of your next quest is so much fun, and with all the quests and mini-games in between, its hard not to get hours upon hours of fun in there." in 8 reviews
  • "It lives up to everything you've come to expect from previous lego games, but the depth of collectables, unlocks, and the exploration of the open world makes it addicting." in 8 reviews
  • "Not only does it do a excellent job keeping true to the story line it has its fun quirks to bring new viewers entertained." in 7 reviews
  • "I especially enjoy how well the movies were translated to the video game - scene-by-scene recreations and all the dialogue taken from the original cast." in 6 reviews
  • "The entire Lego franchise is very fun and quirky without that just for kids feel, and they're more puzzle based rather than your typical hack and slash or shooter game." in 5 reviews
Mini M.
The LEGO games are awesome. They're easy to play, but fun for a child or an adult. The open world in LOTR is a bit intimidating in it's size, but the story quests take you through section by section and fast travel helps a lot. If memory serves, this is one of the few LEGO games that has the original sound clips from the movies which added some depth.
Nicholas T.
Brockton, MA
I think it has come to the point where the LEGO video game franchise is truly leading the way with casual family gaming. The fun atmosphere is recognizable by anyone, and the games choose narratives familiar to people of all ages. So how far have we come since LEGO Star Wars.

A hell of a long way. Voice acting is a real plus. Even if it is just ripped from the movies, it creates an atmosphere that epically juxtaposes the fun, humourous environments. Quirky is good.

The open world hub is amazing! Wandering around Middle Earth in search of your next quest is so much fun, and with all the quests and mini-games in between, its hard not to get hours upon hours of fun in there.

The graphics on the sprites and the animations of said sprites are incredible. They are smoothly textured, and hold up to today's standard. The same can't be said for the skybox textures, in my opinion. Something so simple is such a huge pat of the atmosphere, and I think with just a tiny bit more work it could have looked even MORE amazing.

Camera controls are yuck, I must say. They are finicky to maneuver, and when using the bow and arrow, this can become a problem. The gameplay controls apart from that are solid and easy to pick up.

All in all it's a great family game, that effectively details the plot of LOTR for a younger crowd, and humourously depicts it for us more familiar with the lore.
Amy K.
Morrisville, PA
My mister bought me the 3DS version of LEGO Lord of the Rings for Christmas - and I had saved Middle Earth by New Years Day. The game is so fun and engaging that I would sit at work and wish that I was home so I could work my way through the next adventure. From what I've read, there are decided differences between the handheld version and the console version, but that does not detract from it at all in my opinion.

I especially enjoy how well the movies were translated to the video game - scene-by-scene recreations and all the dialogue taken from the original cast. What a treat!

The only thing that bothers me, however, is the way that the bonuses are unlocked. Saving Middle Earth resulted in only a ~50% completion rate; the rest is earned by hunting down whatever the NPCs ask for - sometimes you will unlock characters and sometimes you will earn the elusive red bricks. I'll admit that I got frustrated with the tediousness of it all and stopped playing before reaching 100% -- which is saying something, because I am quite the completionist.

Overall, though, this game is quite enjoyable and well worth your time and money.
John C.
Chesterfield, MO
If you are a LOTR nerd like myself you will love this! It contains so many inside jokes and content you’ll be surprised. You can’t go wrong mixing adventure worlds with LEGOs! I really recommend playing this.
Ali S.
Quincy, WA
I've for years been a fan of the Lego games, so when LEgo Lord Of The Rings came out it called to me like the ring called to Smeagul. Yeah, I went there. Once again Lego doesn't disappoint with the adorable kiddish graphics and many things to discover. I'm what my husband calls a "Completionist" and I HAVE to finish all the sidequests before I can plunder on in the main story line. For this, Lego Lord Of The Rings is fantastic. There are many sidequests and things for you to collect along the way to keep your perfectionist happy. That being said, I am also a HUGE fan of the books. I was sad to see things that didn't need to be changed being changed. For instance in the Shire in the book Gandalf casts the ring in to the fire to reveal the lettering on it. However in the game Frodo drops the ring in to some hot tea and the letters are revealed. That must be some super hot tea Frodo, watch your tongue. Aside from that it's a game I've really enjoyed playing so far. The graphics and soundtrack are great and the constant antics of the lego characters keep you chuckling throughout the game.
Tony M.
Buffalo, NY
Lord of the rings is a story known by many. It has a large fan base that even includes a lot of famous idols. From its success in the world of literature, television, and movies it has spawn a new iteration. Lord of the rings has been welcomed into the world of legos, with LEGO lord of the rings. Not only does it do a excellent job keeping true to the story line it has its fun quirks to bring new viewers entertained. If your looking for a game where you can do anything you've come to the right place with its free roam environment being one of the LARGEST lego game worlds. You can choose from all of your favorite characters like frodo, aragorn, legolas, gimli and even some not so expected characers like gollum,arwen, or even the Powerful Sauron. This game is a must have for anyone!
Kess S.
Davie, FL
In the beginning. I did honestly find it boring but after two mission I started getting really into it! I guess it is just that type of game! I usually never go for Lego but since there is hardly anymore couch multiplayer games around I have to take what I can! I found the missions fun and they did the characters really cute! I finished it in a week! All in all. I RECCOMEND this game to kill some time. An did you happend to love lord of the rings(read the books, seen the movie in all) and such syfy things this should be on you must play list!
Erica S.
Staten Island, NY
I am a huge fan of the Lego videogames. The only ones I could not get into are the Star Wars ones. I don't know why I couldn't. Anyway, these portray the Lord of the Rings movies in an amusing way like all the Lego Movies. Once you complete the story mode, there is still so much more to do. The open world is HUGE and there are many characters to unlock and quests to complete. This leaves hours upon hours of fun. This game can glitch often, but if you play the Lego games, you know this is a common problem. I don't know why after making so many games, they cannot fix this. That is my biggest downfall for this game. Otherwise, well worth the money.
Natalie A.
My copy of this game is on the DS rather than the 360, but if it's like the other ones the DS and 360 version is basically the same. The entire Lego franchise is very fun and quirky without that just for kids feel, and they're more puzzle based rather than your typical hack and slash or shooter game. However, if you've played the other Lego games you will notice that this one is not much different from the rest except for it being Lord of the Rings. If you want more of the same thing with a bit of a twist (I did!) then give this a try. If you're not into the more mainstream bro-type games, give this (or any Lego game!) a try.
Samantha S.
I'm a big fan of LOTR. This was entertaining. I had no idea how much I would like a Lego video game before I played this one. If you know Lord of the Rings you'll enjoy the subtle (and not so subtle) jokes spread throughout the game. I beat this one and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the Hobbit. I will say that ANY Lego game is way better to play on an Xbox than a Wii in my experience. The controls make a huge difference in the game play being annoying or not.

I loved how massive the world was and how you can just wander around and explore for no good reason.

P.S. Tom Bombadil forever!
Amber M.
Belton, TX
Do you find the LEGO version as entertaining as the many other LOTR games?
Miguel A.
Glendale, AZ
I've been eyeing this every time I go to walmart and I just want to know if it's any fun?
Amanda P.
Utica, NY
Do u like lego games
Tiffaney C.
Jefferson Hls, PA
Which character do you like to be the most?
Meghan H.
Tacoma, WA
How much is it and is it worth the price?