BY LAW & ORDER: SVU #4 in TV

• Is anyone else super upset that Benson and Stabler never got together?10 Answers
  • How is this show? Is it scary?6 Answers
  • Does anybody else miss stabler and hate olivia's new partner?30 Answers
Adrien A.
Adrien A.
Central Islip, NY
Pop Culture Expert
It's ok but basically they're all the same these days. Just the same as CSI
ANA V.
ANA V.
La Mesa, CA
Pop Culture Expert
One my top favorite shows of all times , .I love me some Olivia and benson.
Zohra K.
Zohra K.
New Brighton, MN
When I am communicating with other people interested in crime series it is remarkable how many people seem to watch either CSI or CSI: Miami or both.
Rarely (actually never) have I heard talk about this show, unless I brought it up myself and ended up discussing it with them. Of course I do not know the situation in America and other countries regarding this show, but I feel it is very underrated in the Netherlands. Of course this has a lot to do with it's programming spot. While CSI is usually on Saturday's at 8:30 or 9:30 p.m. and CSI: Miami on Tuesdays at 8:30 p.m., SVU's spot has been Sunday's around 11p.m. for quite some time now. That's hardly what I call a prime time spot. Just to compare I looked up the share's of those 3 shows on the internet. CSI has a share of 26 in the US and 17,5 in the Netherlands. For CSI:Miami these numbers are 15,0 and 13,2 and for SVU they are 17,0 and 7,7. This doesn't mean much, but once bring the number of households into it, it gets a lot clearer. CSI has about 18,6 million viewers in the US while CSI:Miami and SVU have 10,5 and 11,9 viewers respectively. In the Netherlands these figures are 1,175 million; 910 thousand and 370 thousand. This means that SVU has less than one-third of the viewers CSI has and MUCH less than half the viewers CSI: Miami has. In America SVU has two-thirds of the viewers of CSI and about 10% more than CSI:Miami. In my opinion this has a lot to do with the extremely bad programming spot SVU has gained in the Netherlands and the fact that the program is not advertised as vigorously as the two CSI's, for I feel it cannot have anything to do with it's quality.
The thing that makes SVU stand out so much in opinion, is that the stories depicted are very realistic and heart felt. I personally appreciate it very much, that there are no cheap attempts to make you cry by extending dramatic scenes or underscoring them with sad music. Mostly the sad parts happen quite suddenly and are relatively short. Maybe that's just another 'trick' to get you to cry without being as obvious as many soap opera's. TO me though, it makes the stories appeal much more life-like and truly gut-wrenching and sad.
Also all of the characters are good. If you watch long enough, you can get bits and pieces of information on everyone of them, thus discovering what makes them tick. I must admit that the series has changes it's emphasis a bit in recent years. In the first year there were numerous episode's that featured theme's or events from the investigator's home environment (especially Stabler's). This trend has somewhat diminished over the years, yet you can still see each individual's background shining through into their work ethics. One thin I really had to get used to was Richard Belzer's (Det. John Munch) role getting smaller. It seems to me that in the first few years of the series he was present much more and he made much more cynical remarks, something I really enjoyed. But overall the series has not changed for the worse, for I feel it has actually improved. While a few years ago I'd given this series an 8 out of 10 I'm much more inclined now to rate it even higher. What I've come to appreciate these last 2 or three years, were the additions of Ice-T (Det. Fin Tutuola), B.D. Wong (Dr. George Huang) and Stephanie March (A.D.A. Alex Cabbot) to the team. Stephanie March's character provides the viewer not only with an insight to what the D.A's job is, but her involvement in the series also shows what difficult decisions need to be made at times when the victim becomes the pursued or when a suspect cannot legally be brought to justice. Huang's intense involvement lately is in my opinion the biggest and best evolution the series has undergone (up until now). Not only because there have been few if any series which placed the work of the forensic psychiatrist is in the spotlight, but also it is much more realistic than for instance the media's depiction of profilers in The Silence of the Lambs or the TV-series Profiler. Also I think it is good (in addition to being very interesting) to show the public that not every offender is purely bad, but there is often much more when you go beyond the surface. As for Ice-T's character, I think he really completes the mix in the show, as the tough street cop. Him and Belzer are an ideal couple, just like Benson (Mariska Hargitay) and Stabler (Christopher Meloni).
The reasons, I personally feel SVU is the best crime series on the tube at the moment, are easily summarized. It has very much diversity, it offers insight into the psyche's of both victim's and perpetrators and it is realistic in every aspect.
Madason W.
Madason W.
Charlestown, NH
I adore this show.I have watched almost, If not all, the episodes of the entire show. I feel like it's a show that really got me hooked into wanting more, even with the cast changing towards, i  believe, season 11 when Elliot leaves. I do think that they executed the dismal of characters in the show very well while to changing the show enough to accompany to their absence. The theme song is so catchy and starts playing in my head every time I see this show mentioned. It's one of the best parts of the show. It is very similar to NCIS and Criminal Minds (both marvelous shows as well). I also love Benson's character development plays out throughout the show. How some events that happen in one episode continue to affect her for episodes, even seasons, later. I love that and it's very different from other crime shows that just seem to lack that sometimes.
Kara E.
Kara E.
Salida, CA
Pop Culture Expert
I have seen all of them, except the ones that are currently airing this year. I own every set for each of the 13 years and I watch them instead of movies.

The cast is outstanding and one believes he or she is living the story with them. They are hot, meaty, with compassion and powerful involvement in the stories they tell and this is very engaging.

Mariska Hargitay is a standout and she and her fellow NYPD brothers/sisters make this show a real grit, "this is what life is that we don't see", show. I don't recommend it for the squeamish because it is SVU - they deal with sensitive social and domestic issues. It is real to life, what happens that people need to know about, and it never gets old. The writers are creative about how the stories evolve and there are only one or two out of the entire series that I found distasteful. I recommend it if you like watching the people who fight crime - real life type of situations and the outcomes that result.
Sarah K.
Sarah K.
Clinton Twp, MI
Love this show. Have been watching since day one! It always keeps you entertained and wanting more. Recently my husband and i have been going back and re-watching them and have noticed that a lot of big stars now have made guest appearances which is pretty cool. Things have changed over the season, cast have come and gone but I still think its a great show. Even after you have watched it 100 times, we still get into it and its a great background show to have when you have nothing else to watch. I also really like how they have news topics that they talk about in the show as well. It has different takes on it and it shows the sides to the stories that you mat not have thought of.
sarah B.
sarah B.
Mc Alpin, FL
"In the criminal justice system, sexually based offenses are considered especially heinous. In New York City, the dedicated detectives who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Special Victims Unit. These are their stories."

This hard-hitting and emotional companion series from Law & Order franchise chronicles the life and crimes of the elite Special Victims Unit of the New York Police Department.
Special Victims Unit carries the brand name Law & Order, the newer program has established a strong and unique identity. It has proved itself as a hit in its own right. In the 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 seasons, the series broke into the Top 20.
Rose T.
Rose T.
Minneapolis, MN
I don't like many TV shows, but this Law and Order: SVU is one of my faves. The characters all have depth and are extremely developed; combine this with the talent of the actors and you have some incredibly lovable and relatable characters on your hands. I also love how the show addressed sexual assault and domestic violence, especially in newer episodes dealing with legal changes, politics, and sexual violence faced by members of the LGBTQ+ community. It's actually quite a political show that tackles some tricky and important topics in our society today, and it does so in an engaging and entertaining way.
Amanda R.
Amanda R.
I have been watching this show since episode 1. Benson and Stabler got me through many tough situations, and made me wish that all law enforcement was as good at dealing with victims as they were. Detective Munch and his dry sense of humor are endearing. I really enjoy how they twist things from the headlines to make it totally surprising every week. I would recommend this show to people who enjoy watching justice.
Antonia M.
Antonia M.
Escanaba, MI
when people tell me they dont watch SVU, i judge them. i havent had cable in a few years, and realized ive missed a lot of newer episodes, so i decided it was time to take advantage that Hulu had every season and binge watch from the beginning. best idea ever! it never gets old, even when youve seen most of them. and the acting is superb honestly. also, after having seen so many other shows now, its fun pointing out all the guest stars that were just starting out, and now star in big hits like shameless and OITNB (literally everyone from those 2 alone)
Virginia M.
Virginia M.
Who else is sad Stabler left the show?
Erica W.
Erica W.
Middletown, NY
Who's your favorite detective, past or present?
Helene H.
Helene H.
Have you been watching the show since Stabler's departure?
Kayla R.
Kayla R.
krystal m.
krystal m.
Westmont, IL
Does anybody else miss stabler and hate olivia's new partner?