Kristin Ess Fragrance Free Deep Treatment Mask

by Kristin Ess

There are a few key things I need in a treatment mask: slip, hydration + nourishment. This fragrance-free formula checks all those boxes and then some. Use this weekly to boost shine + softness.

Highlights:

•    intense moisture
•    deeply nourishing
•    instantly softening
•    shine enhancing
•    for all hair types

1. After shampooing and rinsing, apply a small amount from middle to ends.
2. Allow it to sit on your hair for 2-10 minutes, depending on how much time you have.
3. Rinse thoroughly.

Tip: Pair with a wide-tooth comb for quick in-shower detangling.

Does this help split ends?
Start your review of Kristin Ess Fragrance Free Deep Treatment Mask!
How would you rate this product?
Joliet , MT
Kristin Ess Fragrance Free Deep Treatment Mask uploaded by Jasper G.
The first thing I have to mention is how utterly terrible the packaging is for this product. I tried on three separate occasions to use this and could not get the pump to work. I finally gave it one last shot before leaving a review based on packaging alone and was able to get product out. Using the pump while in the shower however, is next to impossible. Please just put it in a tube. Zero stars for packaging. The actual conditioner itself is ok. I would not classify it as a deep treatment though. I have thick, coarse, wavy hair that loves moisture. There just wasn’t enough of the promised hydration, slip, and nourishment there for me. It took a lot of product to adequately coat my hair and I still had to really work on combing through my tangles. I did not feel like my hair had been deeply conditioned after rinsing. I ended up conditioning again with my usual NYMN pink conditioner. I do like the ingredients list as I avoid products with silicones and sulfates. While I personally prefer some scent to my conditioner, I can appreciate this being fragrance free. There was absolutely no scent I could detect. I’ll probably use the remainder of this on my daughters who have fine, straight hair and see how it works for them. Not a product I’ll be repurchasing.
San Marcos, CA
Kristin Ess Fragrance Free Deep Treatment Mask uploaded by Courtney M.
Kristin Ess Fragrance Free Deep Treatment Mask uploaded by Courtney M.
I used this mask after shampoo, post exercise. The directions say use a small amount, but I have a lot of hair so I used two pumps. It comes out as a cream, and true to the brand’s claim, there is no fragrance. I worked it through my hair and left it for about 5 minutes before washing it out. It was pretty easy to wash out and didn’t feel like it gripped my hair or left residue. It did seem to leave my wet hair less tangled after the shower. I’ll update my review when my hair dries! My hair has dried and it’s really soft. I typically don’t use deep treatment masks in my weekly routine but I will continue to use this sample to see if it has long lasting effects.
Thornton , CO
Overall, I think this is the best drugstore deep conditioner I’ve used. It is really light and hydrates my hair without weighing it down. A lot of times I will loose my natural waves when I use deeply hydrating products and I didn’t with this one. I will say that 2-10 minutes is definitely not long enough to leave it on. I have thick, wavy hair and had use a lot more product than I normally would and had to leave it on for 15-20 to feel like I got the deeply hydrating/nourishing effects that I want from a hair mask. When I only left it on for 10 minutes, it really just felt and looked like I had just used a regular conditioner and not a hair mask. Overall I am happy with this product and would recommend it to someone who wants high end quality at a lower price! I’d most likely buy it again myself.
Received complimentary sample from Influenster
Kristin Ess Fragrance Free Deep Treatment Mask uploaded by Yvette W.
After using this product a handful of times, I really love it. It gives my hair just the right amount of moisture without leaving it greasy after I let it air dry. I have thick, fairly dry hair so I was pleased to find that this product works! Buyer beware though— I’m not sure if it was jut my bottle, or if the product is meant to be dispensed a certain way, but after 5 minutes of pumping without getting any product out, I finally flipped the bottle upside down and voila! It came out! Overall, I would highly recommend this product to someone looking to add a bit of moisture back into their lackluster locks. I will admit though— while the fragrance free aspect of this product didn’t deter me at all, a part of me missed the light scent of hair freshly washed with a quality scented product!
Holland, PA
I have used this mask 4 times so far and I have to say I really enjoy it. It hydrates my ends and but doesnt give them a weird silicone feel and it doesn't feel like there is a buildup of the product on my hair either. I usually would leave it on for 7 to 10 mins depending on how much time I had that day and feel like you could get away with just doing 5 mins and it would still be effective. I avoid my root area just because I have a more oily scalp. Overall I think it's a effective mask for hydrating the hair and the price is good too. The only thing I was kinda put off by was the fact that it is fragrance free, I like my masks, shampoo and conditioner to have a scent to them. But I think this will be great for people who are sensitive to fragrance. I will be repurchasing!
Received complimentary sample from Influenster
I straighten my hair every 6 months and it can always use a little extra help after being subjected to a process that dries my ends out. (In addition, my hair is subject to the elements like sun and wind damage which also contribute to drier ends.) This can be used in place of conditioner when you need a bit of TLC for your hair. True to the claims, there was no fragrance when I applied it after shampoo. They recommend a small amount but I had to use a lot of pumps for the amount of hair I have. I finger combed it through my hair and left i for about 3-4 minutes. In terms of combing my hair out after rinsing, my ends were still prone to tangling. Not that great in terms of its claims to be good for tangle-free hair if combed out while the product is in your hair.
Rochester, NY
Kristin Ess Fragrance Free Deep Treatment Mask uploaded by Katie Q.
Wow! I am super impressed with this!! My hair is pretty fine and thin. It has been colored but not in at least a year. Today before I jumped in the shower, my hair was SO tangled. I had not brushed my hair the day before and sleeping on it knotted it up pretty good. I shampooed and than used the deep treatment mask. I have SUPER long hair so I had to use a decent amount but, for $14 that bottle is HUGE. After leaving it in for approx 8 minutes I used a brush and combed my hair out. I actually LOVE that it has no scent! No worries about clashing with my perfume. When I dried and brushed my hair a second time it was like silk. After drying it is SO soft and beautiful. I %100 recommend this product for anyone looking for a quality conditioner !
Received complimentary sample from Influenster
The only reason this doesn’t get 5 stars from me personally is because I do love my products to be slightly scented. But the product itself I will admit I didn’t have my hopes up for it, so I was blown away. My hair felt much softer and hydrated immediately after use. I love in-shower treatments so that’s a huge plus for this product. I wanted to see what it would do alone so I didn’t use any conditioner and I let my hair dry naturally. The results were very pleasing. There was less frizz, more moisture and did not leave any heavy residue feeling in my hair that most deep treatment products tend to do. And I love that it works with minimal time. def recommend this for anyone looking for a low maintenance deep treatment.
Richmond, VA
Purchased at: Target
I have very fine hair that dries out even more in the winter. I was in serious need of moisture and tend to respond well to Kristin Ess products, so I decided to try it out on a whim. I must say that after the first use I am hooked! I only needed a nickel-sized amount to put all over my hair. I let it sit for about 10 minutes, and rinsing out was quick and easy. Upon drying, my hair is much softer and moisturized. Even my ends (which are due for a trim in the next few weeks) are softer and strengthened. I am so pleased with the result. If you are a fine-haired girl like me in need of some love in these colder months definitely give this a try!
Rydal, GA
Kristin Ess Fragrance Free Deep Treatment Mask uploaded by Jackie W.
I have purple hair that has been bleached and i have to recollect every 3-4 weeks. So, it’s very dry and I use a treatment mask at least once a week and am always looking for new ones to try. This one is pretty good. It has a bit of a weird smell since it’s fragrance free it kind of smells like glue, which is a bit unappealing, but it doesn’t make your hair smell that way. I’m not a huge fan of the packaging because I had to literally bang on the pump to get it to come out, but the design will allow for making sure you use all of the product. I can’t say that I would buy the product, but it is a decent treatment mask.