by Kong
Ask a Question
Edna F.
Edna F.
Morehead, KY

How well do you guys think this toy would work for a pitbull. my pup has literally chewed every toy ive gotten her to bits within a hour of giving it to her. does this work for dogs with crazy jaw strength?
Daniele C.
Daniele C.
Oct. 3, 2013, 11:47 a.m.
My Rottie never destroyed his. But my sister-in-law's Brittany Spaniel/Golden Retriever mix has! So it's definitely not a breed-specific thing. You may be better with something that's harder to tear-- like either the super-jumbo size Kong or one of their other products like an indestructible ball that's harder to get a purchase on with the teeth...
Kay V.
Kay V.
Oct. 2, 2013, 11:19 a.m.
My pit can literally destroy most toys within minutes....I ended up getting the black version since it claims to be tougher. She has yet to destroy it....and she loves playing with it...when there is a treat inside....or she's in "I'm running laps" mode :)
Jennifer H.
Jennifer H.
Oct. 1, 2013, 8:27 p.m.
My pit mix has broken through this, but not completely destroyed it. This is the only toy that she has yet to demolish and we've had it for months. She tends though to like things she can chew through though, so we usually give her rubber balls which last a week or so.
Sherry M.
Sherry M.
Sept. 29, 2013, 6:43 p.m.
This toy lasts! My dog who was just like yours, took a year and a half before finally being able to damage it.
Chrystal J.
Chrystal J.
Sept. 24, 2013, 9:31 p.m.
I have a pitbull mix and my dog has yet to chew through this!
Julia D.
Julia D.
Sept. 23, 2013, 10:32 p.m.
I have a rottie/shepherd mix and he loves these, but he will eventually tear them up. Just go in knowing that.
Alyssa C.
Alyssa C.
Sept. 19, 2013, 11:34 a.m.
I have a pitbull/boxer mix and they are definitely chewers which makes it really difficult to find toys for her. I bought a Kong toy with a higher pound bite max and it had lasted her almost a year now and she never puts the thing down. They are definitely worth the money.
Heidi B.
Heidi B.
Sept. 15, 2013, 10:56 p.m.
I have a Doberman mix who loves to chew through his toys like they are nothing. I got him one of these on a suggestion from a friend thinking he wouldn't be able to chew through it. Wrong! It lasted 2 days and was gong! I'm sure it's a great toy but for dogs with really strong jaws or chewing issues.......not so much.
Cristin C.
Cristin C.
Sept. 14, 2013, 3:59 p.m.
I have a Boxer and a Boxer/American Bulldog mix. Kong really seems to hold up for them and they do chew on them. My recommendations is to get the biggest, toughest Kong you can find and try it out. Just pay attention when she is using it for a while so you know if it will hold up or not.
Stef S.
Stef S.
Sept. 10, 2013, 2:07 p.m.
This toy is not meant for chewing, it is meant to be filled with treats, wet food, peanut butter, or things like that for the dog to eat out of it.
Kellie L.
Kellie L.
Sept. 9, 2013, 5:48 p.m.
I have a German Shepherd who can not eat anything solid, it's really dangerous for him, and we have two Kongs, the red and the black. The black one is especially durable, but our guy is a super chewer and he hasn't managed to destroy either one!
Courtney B.
Courtney B.
Sept. 9, 2013, 2:45 p.m.
Yes! My dogs are the same way. They have had this toy almost a year and it is not chewed up.
Lisette E.
Lisette E.
Sept. 8, 2013, 6:25 p.m.
Got this toy for my german shepherd and it's the one toy she hasn't been able to destroy. Got it for her at 7 months, she is now 6 and shares this toy with our male who is 5 years old. Toy is still going strong and shows barely any signs of ware except fading from being washed.
Kandyce M.
Kandyce M.
Sept. 8, 2013, 5:59 p.m.
The Kong is a go-to toy for power chewers! My Husky mix has had his since I got him in 2008. My foster pit bull loved her and was fine with it. My extreme chewer, a mix, has only chewed the tip off of her..and she destroys most toys in less than 2 seconds. Kong makes an extreme Kong (it's black) that is a bit tougher.
Katie B.
Katie B.
Sept. 8, 2013, 4:50 p.m.
My pitty chews through every single toy of his. I got him the Kong that is a circular shape with bone-shaped cutouts to put treats into. I was astonished. He has yet to chew pieces of it apart. Worth the money!
Julia C.
Julia C.
Sept. 6, 2013, 12:08 a.m.
This is absolutely the toy to get if your dog is what is called a "power chewer" or aggressive chewer. My dogs are power chewers and have destroyed so many of my possessions, including furniture. Once I got them these Kong dog toys, they focused on that instead of destroying my stuff!
Azeneth R.
Azeneth R.
Sept. 5, 2013, 10:05 p.m.
I definitely think it would work well with a pit bull. My dog LOVES to chew and he cannot tear his Kong Apart. I bought mine for not too much at Walmart. I would definitely recommend this for your dog. My dog can eat through tennis balls, but not a Kong ball.
Karin P.
Karin P.
Sept. 5, 2013, 8:12 p.m.
I have a pit bull mix and he loves this toy even when there's nothing in it! It's a pretty tough rubber and my dog has yet to chew through it so I'm pretty sure this could be a safe toy. If you're looking for alternatives I've found that rawhide bones are pretty durable as well!
Katie T.
Katie T.
Sept. 5, 2013, 7:36 p.m.
The Kong toys are pretty sturdy. It should hold up fine as long as you get the right size for your dog.
Robin E.
Robin E.
Sept. 5, 2013, 6:56 p.m.
I also have a pitbull (mix) and he loves his Kong. No teeth marks or anything show up- we have the black Kong, which I believe is heavy duty. He loves it!
Alice D.
Alice D.
Sept. 5, 2013, 12:31 p.m.
I have a Bull Mastiff that chews on it constantly and it is still going. I think if you got the bigger one for your pit, it could take it!
Molly L.
Molly L.
Sept. 4, 2013, 8:12 p.m.
I have a chewer... looooves nibbling on things & breaking pieces off. He devours these... even the black one. Disappointing.
Dannette H.
Dannette H.
Sept. 4, 2013, 4:46 p.m.
My dog (boxer/sharpei/chow mix) has had his for about 5 years now. He would chew up any toy that I gave him until this! I highly recommend it!
Jennifer B.
Jennifer B.
Sept. 4, 2013, 9:30 a.m.
My suggestion to you would to get the black one.. it's much more difficult to gnaw through. I have bullmastiffs and they can be pretty powerful chewers. Try the black one as it's tougher.

Join Now