Kat Von D Tattoo LinerInfluenster Beauty Awards Winner
2 colors available

BY KAT VON D #2 in Eyeliner

When in doubt, wing it out! And nothin’, we mean nothin’, makes whipping out a killer Kat Eye easier than Tattoo Liner. This brush-tip liquid liner is the magic wand of makeup. Kat uses it every single day, and we really aren’t sure how we would get along without it.

Why, you ask? The highly pigmented, 24-hour-wear formula is waterproof and transfer-resistant. That means those lines aren’t goin’ anywhere…Insane days and sleepless nights can’t touch our Kat Eyes!

The precision brush tip is the key to super-fine lines. No less than 325 flexible bristles come together in a tight, crisp point, ready to unleash invincible lines. The supple, saturated brush glides across lids in silky, smooth strokes, making Tattoo Liner the ultimate tool for both makeup newbies and beauty pros alike.

We often marvel at how amazing it is that a teeny-tiny tip can contain so much possibility—wings, fine lines, detailwork...we could go on all day! Choose from raven-black Trooper or rich, chocolate Mad Max Brown for all your Kat Eye needs!

We <3 seeing all our KVD Beauties killin it in Tattoo Liner! Share your wild & wonderful creations with #kvdlook!

#VeganAlert!

100% Cruelty Free Forever!

• Is this liner worth buying? i have he...I used this product for a good... 251 Answers
  • Does this eyeliner stay on all day? A...I have oily skin around my eye... 120 Answers
  • Would you recommend this to someone w...Yes!! As a hint, use fashion t... 147 Answers
Photos (1248)
Buy on Sephora
Norbeliss M.
Norbeliss M.
Beauty Junkie Expert
To be honest, none compare to this one. I initially bought this one in the color "trooper" (simple black) at Sephora. My usual method of shopping for eyeliners is as follows: I walk throughout the store for 1/2 hour, during which time I draw on my hand with the prospective liners. I give them at least 1-2 minutes to set. Then I try the following:
1. Smudge test: Results-->did not even budge.
2. Saliva test: you can guess how this works. Results-->color remains bright, no smudging after 3 minutes.
3. Time test: I try to wipe the eyeliner off my hand after 20 minutes of hard-core shopping for other cosmetics. Results-->still strong. If anything, stronger: stays on the skin throughout vigorous smudging attempts, as well as digestive enzyme applications (you guessed it, the saliva test repeated once again).
4. Makeup remover test: this is what convinced me to buy this one. Results-->stays put for 4-5 serious wipes with the makeup remover, then eventually comes off. After wearing this eyeliner for the last several months, I have discovered that it easily lasts throughout the day (even throughout the length of my workday, which is basically 7AM - 6PM). I withstands my eyes tearing up, hot weather (hot Texas summers) and humidity.

Sidenote: This eyeliner is for those who want precision. It has a very fine tip, which allows for superior precision with regard to drawing extremely fine lines (something I absolutely love, but which is not for everyone).

While I strongly value the worth of an eyeliner based on its ability to last throughout the day, this eyeliner not only delivers in function, but also in fun. Using this Kat von D eyeliner, it is possible to create an endless array of looks, ranging from the everyday (the one you put on in the morning without thinking) to the dramatic (the one you want to show off in the club). So rest assured, while you are experimenting with your look, your creation will stay put throughout the night...as well as the next morning.
Melissa D.
Melissa D.
Highland, CA
This is my favorite eyeliner ever, and believe me, I've tried way too many eyeliners. It's unique because it has a brush tip. KVD also makes a felt tip liner called the "Ink Liner" so be careful not to buy the wrong product when you're shopping.

Pros:
The formula is really long lasting. It doesn't melt or run or smear after a long day. I've even worn this eyeliner swimming and it doesn't budge as long as you don't touch/rub your eyes. Sometimes when I buy a brand new one, the black is not as intense as I'd like. But after drawing 3 lines on my hand and "breaking it in," the black is really intense.
It comes in a pen form, allowing for easy control of the eyeliner. I find that the brush tip is my favorite feature of this eyeliner. It super easy to draw a thin line and you can easily build it up to make thicker lines as well. I favor the brush tip over felt-tip liners because felt tips usually get those little squigglies at the end after using them for a while, which prevents you from getting a crisp, clean line. If you get any eyeshadow/powder residue on this brush tip, you can easily wipe it off with a towel and it won't dry out the liner. It is also more affordable than other high-end liquid liners on the market.

Cons:
My only gripe is that it doesn't dry completely matte. The finish does have a slight sheen. Also, the KVD tattoo liner only comes in two colors: black and brown. I hope she expands the color selection in the future.
Amanda R.
Amanda R.
Ranson, WV
When I initially bought this liner, I was cheap as cheap goes.

The way my eyes are shaped I can't use any liner that smudges even a little bit or fades with water, so I decided to look into liquid eyeliner. I failed out miserably at using normal brush liner and all when i was about to lose all hope,

My friend and I stopped by a Sephora at the mall, and I went through the whole store and used every sample of pen liquid eyeliners on the back of my hand, then went on shopping.

After couple hours of shopping I noticed only one was still jet black has same shape and has not flaked and looks pretty much exactly the same since I put it on.

So I first big purchase happened.

A year (Yes a year!) later of daily use,

I tried all the bargain brand ones and it was really waste of money compare to this one and I am now on my second eyeliner.

In more practical point of view,

Like I mentioned it is stubborn so it is best suited to line close to your lashes, or draw very sharp thin line.

If you like big thick smokeyeye eye line, I would use a pencil liner with it. (Which I do when I want smokey eyes)

If also you can get away with thin sharp line and still use pencil liner you probably don't need it.

I mostly recommend this for people like me who constantly battle with smudges under the eyes!
Sarah I.
Sarah I.
Holliston, MA
This is my absolute favorite liner (liquid or otherwise). I have tried alternatives but I keep on coming back to this one because of the quality and staying power. Before using this one, I had been a die hard pencil girl because most of the time when I tried liquid liners I really felt like the overall look I got was way to dramatic for a full time working mother. So I would buy some liquid formulas and use them occasionally for nights out, but they were getting thrown away almost completely full.

This one gets used! I can wear it to my very conservative day job. The brown especially is really easy to emphasis the eyes without making me look like I would be leaving a meeting and heading to a rave. I also love that this never smudges on my hooded eyes like a lot of other eyeliner. This stays on and in place from morning until I take my makeup off at night.

This is easy to put on as well. The fine tip stays intact so you aren't getting frayed out hairs or smudging. It is really easy to use as a very thin line to a thick cat eye. Definitely store these facing down to keep the tip soft and smooth

I have repurchased this several times in both brown and black and will continue to do so. This really is the best eyeliner I have ever used!
Influenster M.
Influenster M.
This is the only liquid eyeliner that I will use. I tried a liquid eyeliner years ago when I was in high school(I forget which brand) and I failed miserably. It could have been my lack of experience but every time I used it I kept getting it into my eyes and it would burn not to mention it would be gone by the end of the day. I had been wanting to try a liquid eyeliner again forever and saw great reviews on this one so I bought it and I am so glad I did. It is so very easy to use and so precise. I look better with this eyeliner than all the other ones I had been using. It stays on all day which is great because so often I find myself rubbing my eyes throughout the day and before you know it I look like a raccoon Not with this liner! On the other hand, most eyeliners are so hard to get off that I basically have to rub my eyelids off to remove it but this comes off easily with makeup remover. I've found that depending on how I apply it I can use this for an everyday liner or a dramatic eye. The only con to this is like other reviews have stated I have noticed that sometimes the ink stops coming out but I just draw on my hand and it starts working again fine.
Vicky L.
Vicky L.
Arlington , VA
Beauty Junkie Expert
This is the first "high-end" liquid eyeliner I've ever used and it was worth every penny. I'm currently still using the eyeliner so I can't speak for longevity (how long the entire product lasts) but as of right now, I'm a few weeks in and love it. I have small, hooded eyelids that tend to smear product easily and get greasy throughout the day so before applying, I always powder my eyelids with translucent powder (I use ELF since it's relatively inexpensive). Compared to drugstore liquid eyeliners, this wins out in almost every department in terms of applicator tip, drying time, long lasting wear and easy makeup removal. I've used my fair share of drugstore liquid eyeliners in a variety of packages and brands and with those, there was always something missing or wrong - it would be almost impossible to remove without taking off a layer of my skin, it would smudge easily throughout the day (especially if I accidentally rubbed my eyes), the formula would irritate my eyes and with KVD's Tattoo Eyeliner I have had ZERO problems. This might just become a permanent part of my everyday makeup collection.
Arianna A.
Arianna A.
Milwaukee, WI
I love Kat Von D's make up line. Her lipsticks are my favorite. So when I decided to go on the hunt for a liquid liner I went straight to this (of course I had already read the great reviews). I love the applicator and pen itself. I did notice that if I don't let it sit with the tip pointing downwards it can dry up and I have to shake it to get product to dispense. Not a deal breaker though. It is a great color, and the applicator helps applying product easy. All of these things would be fine and this would be my new go to except for one thing: this stuff comes off at the even slighted mention of moisture for me. IDK if it is a bad batch but I will walk out the door and when I look in the mirror again my wing is gone on 1 eye. Either due to a little bit if watering eye (wind, allergies, sunlight, my eyes get sensitive outside) or I get a little sweaty from the heat. I am absolutely disappointed because everything else made this a possible HG liner for me. But there are other waterproof formulas out there I will try and hopefully find something that will work.
Erin G.
Erin G.
Beauty Junkie Expert
I swear I've tried every liquid eyeliner on the shelves - drugstore, mid-range, high end - I've gone through samples and full sizes and trial and error trying to find something that will actually stay put on my oily, hooded lids. This tattoo liner from Kat Von D has officially won me over! The brush is SO soft and comfortable during application - no tugging or scratchiness like you can find with dryer or felt-tipped liners. The formula is extremely pigmented and a very true, matte black (I have the shade "Trooper"). The fact that it gives a full, opaque line after one pass is great and cuts down on the potential for mistakes. Lastly (and most importantly) this liner does. not. budge. With other liners, by lunch time I would have had to clean up under my eyes where liner/mascara/etc. would have melted down because of my oily eyelids - this product lasts me through a full work day without any problem. Definitely worth the investment if you're looking for something that will go on easy and stay put!
Jasmine F.
Jasmine F.
Daly City, CA
I totally am like heads over heels in love with this liner! Then you must be asking damn then why you giving this liner a 3 star rating then? Well let me explain. When I first popped the lid off and started drawing on my liner, it went on quite well. Amazing I should say! It was smooth and so black,like blacker than my soul! This tip is like a brush tip, not like a typical felt tip that Tarte, Stila, and all those other brands have, which is a great thing because for me most of the time, those tips break and that means no fleeky liner. The first time I used it was about ehh I would say like a month ago. And then yesterday when I was doing my friends makeup, guess what? The liner goes on so streaky, barely any ink, had to retrace 928127172 times, and much more worst than you can imagine. After only one use. Sigh maybe I just had bad luck with this product but who knows. It's a great product though, so now I'm just going to have to find a new liner that has the same brush tip like this.
Elizabeth C.
Elizabeth C.
Louisville, KY
Beauty Junkie Expert
This is an amazing liner that has a precise tip and is super easy to use. It dried down quickly so if you're prone to mistakes I probably wouldn't recommend this to you until you're a little more comfortable with doing your liner. I would recommend this for any one with hooded eyes since it dries almost immediately and has a sharp, thin point at the tip you can get a really thin line that dries quickly so it won't get on the hopes of your eyes. It is waterproof and lasts all day long except for in the inner eye it comes off after a few hours.
For me this didn't work because my eyes water a bit when I do my makeup and since they water as im doing my liner it caused the liner to bleed up into my eyeshadow every time even if I went over it with black eyeshadow on a liner brush immediately so I used it up and won't be purchasing. It's great for making a winged liner but I would recommend using something else for the inner third of your eyeliner like a pencil or gel or anything but this.
Stephanie G.
Stephanie G.
Banner Elk, NC
Beauty Junkie Expert
Is this liner worth buying? i have heard good things, but i want to know personal experiences with this liner :)
Jackie R.
Jackie R.
Calgary
Is this available at Sephora?
Savannah S.
Savannah S.
Rochester, MN
Would you recommend this to someone who isn't the best at putting on eyeliner?
Carmen V.
Carmen V.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Does this eyeliner stay on all day? And does it smudge?
Kylee G.
Kylee G.
Is this worth the $20 or is there a drugstore dupe? What is the pigmentation and staying power of this liner?