Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo FoundationInfluenster Beauty Awards Winner 2016

• Is this a full coverage foundation that works with hyperp...61 Answers
  • What is the best way to apply? fingers? brush? beauty ble...182 Answers
Media (1945)
Valerie B.
Review for: 57 Medium-Warm Undertone more...
Very heavy coverage. I use this foundation mostly on nights out as it’s heavy. It’s easy to apply but I find it quite heavy with a matte finish. A little goes a long way. I would recommend to others for sure.
Madelon W.
Asheville
Review for: 46 LIGHTS - COOL UNDERTONE more...
I love how many shades are offered! I’m also a fan of the packaging. It comes with built-in pump, and pump cover. I have dry skin, so it helps to apply a skin moisturizer beforehand. Price point is decent, considering it is a heavily pigmented, and lasts all day. I would buy again, as products are vegan and cruelty free.
Meaghan E.
Pembroke, VA
Review for: 49 Light - Neutral Undertone more...
Overall, super great foundation! Although this says it’s neutral I definitely picked up an orange/red undertone so I took 1 star off for that! Wear is super lightweight but also super matte which is truly the BEST combo! Also has a GREAT wear time - completely covered my red & acne-scared skin and DIDNT come off all day!
michaela b.
maryville, tn
I love this foundation! It is very comparable to Urban Decay’s all nighter foundation. It has great coverage with great selection for my fair skin. If kept me from getting oily and did not break me out worse!
Alex O.
Willoughby Hills
Review for: 54 Medium - Cool Undertone more...
I got amazing coverage when using this foundation. I also noticed it was great for my oily skin because it’s not super moisturizing. I think that also helped it to stay on all day through my 13 hour shifts! A+
Austen G.
gilmer, TX
This is my holy grail foundation. I've worn it consistently for YEARS. I've tried a few new products here and there but I always come back to this one.

I have had pretty much every skin issue in the book. I have rosacea, so my face is red all the time. I have dark circles under my eyes. I have uneven skin texture and tiny bumps from my rosacea. I get acne all the time. I had combination skin for pretty much my entire life with a super oily t-zone and a dry forehead and cheeks, now all of a sudden my skin has done a 180 to being super dry. I have really sensitive skin, I break out easy, I get irritated easily. And I've tried SO MANY foundations. At least 15, mostly high end but a few drug store as well. This foundation has been my saving grace you guys.

The things I look for in a foundation is EXTREME FULL COVERAGE, matte finish, good for combo/dry skin, and not irritating to my sensitive skin. This one hits all the marks.

I have never found a foundation that was as full coverage as this one. I've tried so many and the closest I've used is Estee Lauder Double Wear, but that one felt heavier on the skin and broke me out from constantly clogging my pores. I've tried so many other high end foundations that claim to be full coverage, but they don't even come close. When I say full coverage, I mean I want my face FULLY covered! No redness, no discoloration, no dark spots, no freckles, no acne. I don't want any of it to show through and this foundation hides all those imperfections.

While this is a thicker foundation, I don't find that it wears uncomfortably on the skin. The Estee Lauder Double Wear felt like a clay mask on my skin. The Kat Von D Lock It is thick, but it doesn't feel as heavy as you would expect it to. It's far from a light weight product, but for the amount of work it does a slightly heavier foundation is worth it for me.

I've also tried several "medium-to-full" and buildable coverage foundations and found that they just didn't work for my skin. Because my skin has so many problems and is so textured, building up coverage does nothing but make me look cakey. If you have textured skin or skin that doesn't build up well, go with the Kat Von D!! It's so much better to have a thicker foundation that only requires one layer than a lighter feeling one that you have to cake layers on.

I also love how far this foundation goes. Because it is so full coverage, a little goes a long way. Whenever I was wearing this pretty much every day, it would last me three months. Now that I only wear makeup when I go out somewhere (maybe once a week or every two weeks) it's lasting me pretty much forever. I've had the same bottle since November. I can cover my entire face in about a pump and a half.

Something I will say is be careful with the colors you choose. I always get my foundation at Sephora and I do not trust the lights in Sephora whatsoever. I have really fair skin and finding a foundation that was light enough for me that didn't make me look like a dead body but still wasn't orange on my skin is a STRUGGLE.

I started wearing this foundation in 2013 and over the years I've fluctuated between Light 45 (light beige with warm undertone) Light 44 (fair alabaster with cool undertone) and Light 46 (light taupe with cool undertone). I think the biggest issue was that my Sephora NEVER had any of the shades in stock so I would just grab whatever they had that was the closest to the one that actually matches me. The Light 45 with warm undertone always made me look orange, probably because I have cool undertones. So just be careful with the shade you select and don't be afraid to return it if it doesn't work! It's your money you're investing, you should be able to take it home and try it in various lighting before making a decision. Or even ask them for a sample, there will be more than enough to do your full face a couple of times. She came out with even more shades with different undertones, so I think there is a good variety on the market now so everyone can find their perfect color.

One thing I love about this foundation is that you do not need concealer! I literally didn't ever use concealer but felt like it was something I needed to get because all the beauty gurus on youtube used it and it seriously made no difference with this foundation. This will give you all of the coverage you could ask for.

Something else I love is the design of the bottle. The pump makes it easy to use and it moves the bottom up as you use it, so you can accurately see how much you have left and you don't waste any product! Other foundation bottles are so difficult once you start running out and you've got to hit them and tilt them and use them every certain way to get the last bit out. But this eliminates all that struggle and stress. When it's gone, it's gone. Throw it out and get a new bottle.

I think there are several ways you can apply this, depending on what works best for your skin. I used to always just use my fingers to apply makeup and that worked for me for years. I've used a brush with this a couple of times, and while it looked good it just wasn't my favorite, but I don't like how brushes apply any foundation I have. Lastly, I've tried the beauty blender and I've never gone back. I just pump this foundation onto the back of my hand, dab it all over my face and then blend away. It looks flawless every time!

At the end of the day, this foundation covers all of my imperfections - and there are a LOT  of them. If you're someone who NEEDS full coverage, who has a lot of redness or acne, and needs things covered up completely, this foundation will work great for you. If your skin isn't that bad, then I don't think this foundation is necessary- go with a medium coverage that's buildable.
Ashley O.
Long Beach, CA
Review for: 49 Light - Neutral Undertone more...
Perfect full coverage foundation!! I have oily skin and I was recommended this foundation and I instantly fell in love! Leaves my face looking matte and smooth and I always get compliments on my makeup because of it! Definitely would recommend
Courtney C.
Nashville, TN
Review for: Light 41 Neutral more...
I absolutely love the coverage of this foundation! A little goes a long way, which I appreciate. It truly stays on all day long and gives a nice matte finish. I have noticed a bit of a funny smell from it, but nothing that makes me want to stop using it. It also dries down rather quick, so just blend quickly and you’ll be good to go! I received this product free from Influenster to try and review honestly.
Colleen F.
This foundation!! I have tried so many different brands and this one is great! It covers blemishes really well and stays on all day. It’s a little pricey but worth it because it lasted me well over 6 months.
Allison L.
Jacksonville
(Isn’t my color. But color 44 is) but I love this. It is full coverage, a little bit goes a long way, too much can get cakey fast if applied to much. I prefer this when I have oily skin. I have bought twice.
Robyn W.
What is the best way to apply? fingers? brush? beauty blender?
Amanda W.
Carisa H.
Evansville, IN
Is this a full coverage foundation that works with hyperpigmentation?
Cat B.
Crowley tx
Does this foundation come on very thick?
Ceci F.
I have Rosacea, would this be able to cover up my rosy red cheeks?

Amazon