Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo FoundationInfluenster Beauty Awards Winner 2016

Reviews (19907)
Media (1915)
Lea S.
Conway, SC
Review for: 71 Deep - Warm Undertone more...
I've used this for years now. Super blendable and the colors are always a perfect match. They are lightweight and never turns greasy even after wearing it all day.
Maria P.
Purchased at: Sephora
Medium to full coverage, perfect for a night out because it last a very long time😜 I don’t use it as an everyday foundation because it could be a little heavy for me...
Krista E.
I bought this foundatiom at Sephora because i'd heard alot of good things about it for combo skin and wanted to try it myself. Let me first off tell you that it smells like straight up paint! The foundation it self went on pretty easily I guess, you have to work fast because it sets pretty quickly. It did sort of look cakey around my nose, but a lot of foundations tend to do that(I only use one layer). The finish was i'd say a semi-matte. Also I loved the packaging of this foundation so much! I liked it, but it made me break out really bad on my forehead and ended up returning it.
Sara R.
Saylorsburg, PA
My sister bought me this foundation from Sephora for $35 as a gift and I was really, really excited to use it. My sister always has the nicest foundations and I've always had the $8 drugstore ones. When I first tried this, about a month ago, I didn't really notice a difference in how my skin looked compared to how it would look when I used my $8 foundation. I was disappointed. I apply foundation using a damp beauty blender, by the way. I thought I looked the same... But, after school started back up and I have been wearing it every day to college, I have actually noticed that my skin looks NICE for once in my life! I think I just sloppily applied it the first time, because now, my skin always looks so finished and, dare I even say air brushed!?! I'm someone with really pale skin. I also have dark purple under eye coloration, bright red/pink rosacea, and oily skin. The Kat Von D foundation works well with all of this. For me, it hasn't become cakey. My skin also ceases to look greasy. Once in a while, if it's hot or something, my skin will look a little shiny, but I think it actually works because of this new highlighter/illumination trend happening now :-). Overall, I really love this foundation, thanks to my sister. You get a lot for what you pay for, especially since you only need about one pump to cover your full face. (I love the pump, also, by the way, very convenient). It applies very easily with my beauty blender, and it looks nice!! When I wear it, I actually feel like I have CLEAR SKIN for once in my life! I'm so happy to have this foundation, try it out! I'm very pale and my shade is "Light 44 Cool".
Brittany S.
Lexington, NC
Review for: Light 43 Warm more...
I enjoy lengthy, in depth product reviews - each section is labeled if you'd like to skip around.

MY SKIN TYPE // Combination, acne prone + textured. I tend to get oily throughout the day and have dry patches around active breakouts.

ABOUT THIS PRODUCT // This product contains 1 fluid ounce of foundation, comes in 30 shades and retails for around $35.00 via the Sephora app.

PACKAGING + PRODUCT COMPONENT // I think it’s safe to say that anything Kat Von D releases is visually stunning - always. To be honest, I don’t remember what the box itself looks like and I’ve already thrown it away but the bottle itself is so pretty to look at, it stays front and center on my vanity. It comes in a plastic bottle that is clear for the most part, but has some decorative black markings on it. I LOVE that it’s clear so you can see just how much product you have left. This foundation DOES come with a pump and it uses an airless chamber to make sure that you get EVERY last bit of product, and also helps keep your foundation from being contaminated. The pump comes with a stopper, or a plug, and I highly suggest that you keep it. I threw mine away and now when I pump out foundation, the first little bit right at the nozzle is a little different (darker, thicker, sometimes harder) than the foundation that hasn’t been exposed to outside air.

FORMULA, APPLICATION + WEAR // This is a THICK foundation. If you’re looking for something natural, second skin like, this is NOT for you. For over a year now I have been looking for my holy grail foundation and with this product, I do believe I’ve finally found it. It’s about as full coverage as you can get, it stays matte and it literally does not move. Underneath this foundation I typically go for a more hydrating primer (Too Faced Hangover RX) and I’ve found that it is best to apply with a damp beauty blender (or some sort of beauty sponge) because it is such a thick consistency, the sponge helps it from getting too cakey. Even though this is a matte finish foundation, I still set with a powder (IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores) just to prevent my oils from coming through, and it helps blur out my texture + pores. To prevent my face from looking too powdery with this foundation + powder combo, I usually use a little bit of setting spray (MAC Fix +). The website / Sephora app states that this product would be suitable for dry skin, but I don’t really think it would be - I tend to have dry patches from active acne breakouts and it tends to cling those spots if I don’t exfoliate, moisturize and prime good enough. This foundation does oxidize or dry down a little bit after application, but it does NOT go orange (at least not on me). Typically when I first apply the foundation it looks a shade or so too light, but once I’ve powdered and bronzed my face, its the perfect match. This foundation claims to wear for 24 hours, and while I haven’t worn it for that long - I have worn in out for concerts, events outside and even wore it to a halloween party this past weekend and it stayed for roughly 8 hours and still looked flawless. Through sweat, halloween makeup and the heat - it did not budge, fade off, breakdown or anything.

FINAL THOUGHTS // While it took me several samples to find my perfect shade, I finally did, and this is a foundation that I see myself repurchasing over and over again. It’s just that good.
Christina L.
San Francisco
Originally I reviewed this with 5 starts. The more I used it I realized that my result in the middle of the day wasnt as great and I had originally stated. I love the coverage for sure but I think for me personally this will be an evening, going out to a function foundation that doesn't have to be worn all day. I find that by the middle of the day this foundation is coming off on mildly oily T zone and settles into my dry patches and looks horrible. Touching it up with powder just makes it look worse. But for the first 4 or so hours it looks great so evenings out where I am only out for a couple hours I think this will be perfect. I do find this goes on better with a sponge vs a brush and I have tried this product with several primers... all with the same results.
Victoria W.
Louisville, TN
I have never found a foundation light enough for my skin until I tried this in shade L42. The color does not oxidize darker. It is so easy to build to a full coverage. I prefer applying this with my fingers or a brush to get more full coverage. A beauty blender leaves a lighter more natural coverage. This product has no harsh scent and feels very breathable on the skin. It has a creamy consistency and does not settle in fine lines or pores. A little goes a long way so for the amount of product you receive for the price is absolutely worth it!
Astrid H.
Austin, TX
Review for: 52 Medium - Warm Undertone more...
I received this foundation with from the Voxbox and the shade was surprising perfect. I have dry skin so these super matte foundations usually don’t work for me but once I had applied it I feared for the worst but it had a beautiful velvet finish! I only set powder around my eyes so it wouldn’t crease and the foundation was ready to go. I would just recommend using a very hydrating primer.
Brooke B.
Lexington , KY
I honestly think this is the only foundation that I will ever need. KVD offers a wide variety of shades for super pale girls like me - an absolute necessity when a foundation is this pigmented! The Lock It foundation covers all of my acne scars, redness, and any active breakouts with only ONE pump. Be sure to blend quickly - this sets fast and dries down to a beautiful matte finish that still looks like skin. After that, it doesn't budge all day.

For days at the office, I like to mix one pump of this with some of my Pixi Glowtion or any other luminous moisturizer to sheer it out to a medium coverage and take it from a matte to a demi-matte. If I'm going out, however, I love to use this in all of its full coverage glory - through hours of dancing, it won't move!
Megan W.
San Francisco, CA
This stuff is hardcore. I use it for theatrical purposes and it covers it all. However if you have sensitive skin...be careful and take it off ASAP. This heavy foundation can clog you up!
Robyn W.
What is the best way to apply? fingers? brush? beauty blender?
Amanda W.
Cat B.
Crowley tx
Does this foundation come on very thick?
Ceci F.
I have Rosacea, would this be able to cover up my rosy red cheeks?
Amanda C.