Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo FoundationInfluenster Beauty Awards Winner 2016

• Is this a full coverage foundation that works with hyperp...60 Answers
  • What is the best way to apply? fingers? brush? beauty ble...182 Answers
Media (1944)
Laura T.
Review for: Other more...
This is a 3.5/4 star review. I use this foundation with the Lock It setting powder and Lock it Edge foundation brush. I have relatively normal skin with oil on the tip of my nose, a bit on my cheeks, and my chin. I have acne, and this foundation does a very good job of covering up my acne. There is a natural matte finish with a light glow to it, but even though radiant foundations accentuate my acne, this one keeps my acne visibility at a minimal.

This foundation goes on very well, it is immediately full coverage and I usually use around 3-5 pumps to cover my entire face. Its a light foundation, does not feel like it is suffocating my skin, but the initial smell reminds me of acrylic paint. The foundation blends well with the edge brush, and I have tried it with a beauty blender but personally like the lock it edge brush better (They are both good).

Although this foundation is supposed to last twenty four hours, the redness on my nose seeps beyond the foundation after 5 hours but the rest of my face (even the acne on my cheeks/contour area) is intact. However, the foundation settles into the cracks on the side of my nostrils, and my pores become visible after about 4 to five hours. My laugh lines get pretty bad after about 3 hours, and I try to blend it out with a paper towel when I am at work.

This foundation IS NOT "non-transferrable". If I touch my skin, the foundation comes off and can leave my skin looking patchy... It is a good foundation if you do not touch your face... ever. So far, this foundation is the best one that I have been able to use but I am vegan, so my options are not as extensive as I would like ( there are many that are vegan formulas but the companies test on animals so I reject those as well ).

Overall, this formula is okay if you are able to touch up. I think touching up your skin is pretty common though, but keeping a brush or something to correct any creases in your skin and touch up particularly oily areas is a good idea.
Regina L.
spruce pine, NC
Review for: Medium 54 Neutral more...
I have been on the longest journey for finding my perfect foundation! I just started back getting into makeup again since i have had my three children and started out with only drugstore items.
Every single time i felt like i found a foundation that worked great on my skin and gave me the coverage that i was looking for, i would soon discover that it indeed wasn't the foundation for me!
My most recent favorite has been the ordinary coverage foundation, which was recommended to me by an actual makeup artist. So once i was told how wonderful it was, of course i was excited and went straight to my computer to order some! It works pretty well and they have many shades! I have used it for a few months now vut i have issues with getting the coverage from that one that others seem to get (maybe i am doing something wrong).
Well, i recently received the lock it tattoo foundation as a sample from sephora and finally got around to using it. I am so amazed! I see such mixed reviews on this foundation so of course i was a vit nervous to try it. I honestly dont understand the negative reviews on this! It doesnt take much at all to cover the entire face, i dont feel cakey and the coverage is amazing!! My only issue with it was how fast it dries but i can definitely work around that! I can honestly say that my foundation has never looked better! Im definitely making my order this week!
Paola C.
sonoma, CA
Purchased at: Sephora
Review for: 45 Light - Warm Undertone more...
This foundation promises exceptional coverage, 24-hour transfer resistant wear, and a smooth finish. It boasts 21% percent pigment – I’m just going to have to take Kat Von D’s word for it that this is a lot of pigment. I mean, it sounds like a lot, but I have absolutely no clue what percentage of pigment my other foundations contain, and I never thought to ask. Lock-it Tattoo foundation comes in a huge range of shades. I mean, huge. This is amazing news for those with very dark and very pale skin tones. The coverage for this stuff is simply amazing. This foundation is one of the few I’ve found that does not crease under my eyes.  It stays smooth and crease-less under my eyes  all day long. No red marks, no red cheeks, when Kat said this is full coverage... girl she meant it. If you tend to have oily skin, this stuff keeps the shine away — it’s nice and matte. But this stuff does dry FAST.  Apply in small sections, only using a small amount, or it will start to dry and get smudgy. A little goes a long way. It does okay with combination skin, but if you’re skin is straight up DRY, it will not work for you. The dry spots will definitely flake up and be very obvious. Because of the pigmentation and coverage, this can make your skin look flat. You definitely need to obviously prime your face and bronze, blush and a bit of highlight with this. It has a semi-matte finish that truly hides every single mark and blemish on my face. It even hid marks I didn’t know were there. Lock-it Tattoo Foundation made my face look flawless, and because I really didn’t need very much product to get full coverage, my face didn’t look like a lifeless mask. It also felt surprisingly light on my face – lighter even, than some of my BB Creams.

Performance: 5/5 – Full, non-cakey coverage that lasts all day. Non-oily, and provides a smooth, flawless finish.

Quality: 5/5 – Contains extremely gentle ingredients, safe for sensitive skin. The packaging is very sturdy, and the pump dispenses exactly the right amount of product.

Value: 5/5 – $36 for a solid, mid-range foundation that performs as promised is an outstanding value. Plus, a little goes a long way, so a bottle should last you a while!
Morgan H.
Huntingdon Vy, PA
Review for: 42 LIGHT - NEUTRAL UNDERTONE, 45 LIGHT - WARM UNDERTONE, 48 Light - Neutral Undertone more...
I hate to be negative but this is probably my least favorite foundation. It is full coverage but it’s really heavy on the skin. It gets cakey and looks like a mask on my skin. I can’t recommend for anything other than tattoo coverage which it is great for obviously given the name of the foundation. But other than that, I really dislike this foundation. I’ve tried sheering it out multiple times with a moisturizer and I still don’t like it because it still clings to my dry patches. So now, I only use this on my clients when I’m doing bridal makeup and they need me to cover a tattoo that’s on their body. If it comes to a face tattoo I will do an entire different process so that I’m not applying this foundation to the face because of the mask-like appearance it gives. If you love the fullest of full coverage you may end up liking this, but even my friends that only wear full coverage foundations weren’t a fan of this either. I wouldn’t recommend this for dry skin, because it empathizes damn near all the dryness on my face no matter how much I exfoliate and moisturize my skin beforehand. I’ve honestly tried to make this work over 10 times because when I spend my hard earned money on a product I want to get use out of it of course. So although I didn’t end up liking the foundation on my skin, I’m at least happy that I found use for it with tattoo coverage. But that being said, when I run out of this completely I won’t be repurchasing because I have other products that give just as much coverage and cover tattoos just as good as this does. Because of that, I find no need to spend the money on this yet again to only use it for one thing. It’s too steep of a price tag also for me to purchase again solely for that reason. I use it now because I have it and it works and I do my best to use the products till there is not a drop left if possible.
Victoria J.
Las Vegas, NV
Review for: 47 Light - Neutral Undertone more...
Influenster sent me this and the concealer. I’ve always wanted to try Kats products so I was very excited about this box. I don’t think the shades right because they sent a neutral one and I think I’m more yellow and light (asian skin) and not pink at all but I still wear it! Anyway, the coverage is GREAT. Usually full coverage foundations scare me because they never look good. Something about it. Even with acne, medium is usually enough.
But this stuff is nice, it can be spotty in some areas whereas it just won’t seem to cover and it seems to be that kind of foundation where it will rub off if you blend over it again or if you are a cream contour user like me, it’ll take off your foundation if you try to blend that on top of it.
It is a very THICK foundation so you have to blend and work fast. It can sometimes be hard to blend or it just won’t spread. I have combo-DRY skin btw so I was initially scared as this looks like it wouldn’t be good for dry skin but the only place it clings with or doesn’t blend the greatest is my forehead and you can look dry with this. As long as you moisturize I think you’ll be ok. I double my moisturizer btw and then prime.
SO I both love and hate this foundation. My main ISSUE is it shows my pores/texture/fine lines on smile lines, cheeks, and nose. And yes, I use a primer specifically for pores. And with my other foundations, my pores are never accentuated like this or this bad. But if you keep messing with it, it can minimize it but it’ll still show. I can look past it for the most part but that is disappointing. I do my makeup in a zoomed in mirror and I’m OCD so it bothers me but I think from a distance, no one can tell. I don’t know why it does that but I do notice that full coverage foundations do that to me. Like ALL of them and I never have a pores problem??? Anyway, I like how I never really need to touch up besides blotting here and there for when I get oily or sweat. It sticks pretty well. I even napped with this on before (don’t scream) and it was still perfect which was crazy. I’m not really a fan of the bottle, don’t get me wrong, it’s cute and different but it’s kind of annoying with how messy it can get on the bottle. I’ll still continue to use it. I don’t think it’s broken me out either so that’s cool. If anyone has the same pores issue, please like this so I can see if I’m not the only one with this problem. I’d like to overall rate this as a 3.5/5 stars.
Edita P.
Middleton, MA
Review for: 45 LIGHT - WARM UNDERTONE more...
I have light skin that is normal. I picked shade 45 as it was described as light with neutral undertone. It looks pretty fine in the bottle, but once I tested it on my hand, it seemed way too yellow and too dark for me. However, it seemed to match me quite well when I applied it on the face. It is still on the darker side, but it is wearable and will be perfect when i tan. My only complaint is that it is a very very thick foundation. It still applies good, but I prefer lighter feeling on my skin, so I use it by mixing in some serum or moisturizer into the foundation. It gets thinner and applies easier. It still looks great and gives long lasting full coverage.

I purchased this foundation before a trip to Europe. I also took another foundation (just in case), but never touched it as I loved Kat Von D. It was reliable every time I used it. It was great for 10 hour trip to Europe (9 hours on a plane) and lasted throughout most of that day once I reached my destination. The trip back was 15 hours and the foundation lasted perfectly. I slept on the plane, touched my face, etc and my makeup still looked great
Katie W.
Stoneville
Review for: 62 Medium - Warm Undertone, 48 Light - Neutral Undertone more...
First of all I am reviewing shades 62 Medium and 48 Light because those are the shades I find that match my skin tone in summer and winter respectively. I tan up quite a bit in the summer, and I always seem to find the right match and undertone at anytime of the year which is a huge plus.

The foundation stays true to its name is it is FULL coverage, which is good for full glam looks, and even on more natural days I find it easy to spread out. It is however really thick almost like a cream, and no matter how much is on there is never a weightless feel to it. It also sinks into lines sometimes, in my case even ones I didn't know existed.

I would definitely buy this product again as i enjoy doing full glam looks, and when it is properly blended and set with powder, it has a great finish. I would recommend this to a person who also loves going full glam, yet I would worn to definitely take into consideration that the foundation oxidizes a bit, so maybe go a shade lighter than you normally would.

Avi c.
united states
These foundation its WoW amazing!!! Amo los productos de kat von d esta base es el primer producto que abtube de su marca y desde hace años no la cabio, tiene una exelente cobertura total!! Yo tengo acne embeces y muchas manchitas y esta base me las cubre muy bien entre mas aplicas mas alta es la cobertura pero cuidado por que embeces si se notan bastante las lineas de exprecion, el empaque es muy lindo y original y el precio aproximado donde yo vivo es $35 dolares la puedes conseguir en tiendas como sephora en persona o en internet tambien en la pagina de kat vond beauty.com y de echo si la compra ahi muchas beces tiene algo gratis de muestra. La base es fantastica para algun evento especial o cualkier ocasion depende si te gusta alta covertura o no tambien la puedes mixtear con un pokito de hidratante de tu gusto si prefieres menos cobertura. Uuff casi ago libro lol.. ps. Lla x ultimo yo prefiero aplicarla con beauty blender para una aplicasion mas (natural)
Shannon 😇.
Fort Campbell
Review for: Light 41 Neutral, Light 45 Neutral, 42 LIGHT - NEUTRAL UNDERTONE more...
I have been using this product for a year now and I absolutely hate it. Every single time I use the foundation it always just rubs right off of my nose and chin area even if I don't touch it. I am not sure if anyone else has had this issue but every time I wear it my face gets so unbelievably itchy, this has never happened with any other foundation I have ever tried. This foundation is supposed to be long lasting and for me I can't even finish applying the rest of my makeup before half of it has come off. I would not recommend this to someone with oily or combination skin types unless you have an amazing setting powder. If you are just learning how to do your makeup I wouldn't recommend this to you either it is very hard to blend out perfectly and unless your skin tone is exactly the shade of the product itself it will not be a match for you. I have fairly light skin and whenever I use any of the light shades it makes me look extremely pale, almost sickly.
Laura T.
Gainesville
Review for: Light 41 Neutral more...
This is what it says it is and does:
-24 hour wear
-Matte not flat canvas
-waterproof, fade proof, transfer resistant
-Medium-to-full coverage
-covers redness, blemishes, discolorations
-seamless blending

I have dry dry skin, and took a chance with this foundation because I do have some redness, I needed a matte foundation that wouldnt transfer, I wear a lot of black :) I needed full coverage and knew I could build up to that. I tried using this with a beauty blender and a brush , and the brush was the better tool to put this stuff on mah face. I have found that it doesnt oxidize too much, meaning...it doesnt darken once on my very very fair skin. I have also found that it does crease/cake up a little by my nose, mouth and on forehead a bit. It does last all day, I never have to reapply even living in humid florida. I dont think i will purchase this again though, it just doesnt blend in enough or give enough matte coverage for me.
Robyn W.
What is the best way to apply? fingers? brush? beauty blender?
Amanda W.
Carisa H.
Evansville, IN
Is this a full coverage foundation that works with hyperpigmentation?
Cat B.
Crowley tx
Does this foundation come on very thick?
Ceci F.
I have Rosacea, would this be able to cover up my rosy red cheeks?

Amazon