Kat Von D Lock-it Tattoo FoundationInfluenster Beauty Awards Winner 2016

BY KAT VON D #17 in Liquid Foundation

A high-pigment foundation for full coverage with a long-lasting, beautiful finish. Kat created this foundation to provide exceptional coverage, without compromising a smooth, striking finish. Formulated with 21 percent pigment, this powerful formula was developed to match a broad range of skintones with bold coverage the proprietary pigments can even effectively cover tattoos. The combination of raw materials and the best siliconic elastomers and siliconic esters provide 24-hour wear with transfer resistance. Natural polymers absorb oil for a matte, soft finish and the added emollients provide a velvety texture for perfectly smooth, hydrated skin. It is formulated Without: - Parabens - Synthetic Fragrances This foundation has been formulated to work synergistically with Kat's Rehab Priming Elixir, Tattoo Concealer, and Lock 'N Load Setting Mist.

• What is the best way to apply? fingers? brush? beauty blender?176 Answers
  • Does this stay on long enough or does it fade away thru out the day?9 Answers
  • How pale is the palest shade of this? Is it good for sensitive skin?1 Answers
Buy on Sephora
Laura T.
Review for: Other more...
This is a 3.5/4 star review. I use this foundation with the Lock It setting powder and Lock it Edge foundation brush. I have relatively normal skin with oil on the tip of my nose, a bit on my cheeks, and my chin. I have acne, and this foundation does a very good job of covering up my acne. There is a natural matte finish with a light glow to it, but even though radiant foundations accentuate my acne, this one keeps my acne visibility at a minimal.

This foundation goes on very well, it is immediately full coverage and I usually use around 3-5 pumps to cover my entire face. Its a light foundation, does not feel like it is suffocating my skin, but the initial smell reminds me of acrylic paint. The foundation blends well with the edge brush, and I have tried it with a beauty blender but personally like the lock it edge brush better (They are both good).

Although this foundation is supposed to last twenty four hours, the redness on my nose seeps beyond the foundation after 5 hours but the rest of my face (even the acne on my cheeks/contour area) is intact. However, the foundation settles into the cracks on the side of my nostrils, and my pores become visible after about 4 to five hours. My laugh lines get pretty bad after about 3 hours, and I try to blend it out with a paper towel when I am at work.

This foundation IS NOT "non-transferrable". If I touch my skin, the foundation comes off and can leave my skin looking patchy... It is a good foundation if you do not touch your face... ever. So far, this foundation is the best one that I have been able to use but I am vegan, so my options are not as extensive as I would like ( there are many that are vegan formulas but the companies test on animals so I reject those as well ).

Overall, this formula is okay if you are able to touch up. I think touching up your skin is pretty common though, but keeping a brush or something to correct any creases in your skin and touch up particularly oily areas is a good idea.
Maci P.
Atoka
Review for: Medium 54 Neutral more...
I wanted SO badly for this foundation to work for me. My very first high end foundation.
It just was not the foundation for me.
I would have rated it a 2, but it is a great FULL coverage foundation. Just NOT for DRY SKIN.
1st of all, I bought online so I ended up ordering a shade incredibly too dark for me.
I drove an hour to our closest Sephora store to return it and get help from a consultant to find the right shade for me.
First question from her "Are you really SET on KVD? It's a very heavy foundation and you do not look like you need something that heavy. And it is a matte finish, Which is the main reason it is sticking to your dry skin"
She set me up with another, lightweight, coconut oil infused, medium-full coverage foundation and WOW. The difference in the two is insane!
For dry skin, I'd rate the foundation a 1-2. Try something different!
For regular-oily skin.. 3-4. Give it a try!
Photo is with the KVD foundation on.. Just did not work for me and my dry skin. Can't tell in photo but I have orange dry skin spots ALL over my face. As u can tell, it is not the right color for me by comparing my face color to my chest. 😳
Jasmine B.
Review for: Deep 78 Neutral more...
It would have been really great if there was at least one other shade of Deep Neutral.  As of right now, there is only ONE deep shade of Lock It foundation for people with neutral undertones.  I'm hoping that will change in the future.

This is a thick, FULL COVERAGE foundation.  There is no such thing as layering when it comes to Lock It.  Most people probably won't even need to use a full pump to cover their entire face.  I didn't see it oxidize that much.  One thing that I don't like about this foundation is that it tends to dry down and set almost immediately so you have to blend it fast.  I prefer to use my Sigma F80 - Flat Kabuki Brush .

I start to see a little bit of oil seep through on my nose after 6 hours of wear; this is excellent for my skin type.  I do find that the coverage is a bit more long lasting when I set it with the  Kat Von D Lock-it Makeup Setting Mist than some of my other setting sprays.
Review for: 57 Medium-Warm Undertone more...
A corporate and church GOD SEND! Lol I have tattoos , but one of them is a glock behind my right ear. Sometimes I like to cover it up to not offend people at important corporate meetings or at women’s conference at church and this has been my go to each and every time . This also was a great go to when I would go on job interviews, until you learn the accepted culture , it’s nice to go in a blank clean slate . I’ve always been a fan of Kat from her art to her make up and most obviously her tattoo talent . So it was no surprise when I was one of the lucky ones to catch the very first launch of this product when it first launched before it sold out almost immediately ! Thick was my first observation, however very lightweight and opaque upon contact with skin. I have naturally very oily skin and that was my dear that this would put my in oil overdrive but it was the total opposite . I’ve been going back for years ever since and I will continue to support Kat !! Lmao as you can see by my Bottles , this gets a lot of use out of me 😝🖤Kat Von D Lock-it Tattoo Foundation
Tanya M.
Arkansas City
Review for: 42 LIGHT - NEUTRAL UNDERTONE more...
I had always purchased drug store foundation and was never super happy with it. I had a friend and her foundation always looked flawless. I asked her what she used and it was Kat Von D Lock it foundation.

A few months later I decided I would like to try the foundation but had no clue what shade to get. I have always had a hard time selecting the right shade and more times than not I ended up with something too dark.

I decided I would go to the Sephora store and get professionally matched. When I got matched at first I thought the shade was going to be too light cause it was one of the the lighter shade.

I was super excited to try this foundation. The next day I tried out the foundation. I used a beauty blender to apply. I was amazed! It matched my skin tone perfectly! It went on so smooth and when I was done it looked beautiful! It gave me a gorgeous air brushed finish. I love this stuff and it is completely worth the price. I would highly recommend this brand.

Lindsey F.
Columbus, OH
Review for: 44 LIGHT - COOL UNDERTONE more...
I was so excited to try this! I love the packaging, the bottle really doesn’t let much go to waste, I have maybe a few weeks worth left in mine now I do don’t know if it will push quite ALL of it out. But so far it has scraped it clean. I like the coverage, it doesn’t match exactly, which blows because I was color matched haphazardly by the woman at Sephora, but it’s probably the closest I would’ve got in the shade range. My biggest problem with this is that it doesn’t last all day for me, and it clumps up around my nose where I wear my work glasses. I set it with a setting spray more than you probably should. I spent a lot of money on the spray yes and it is not her brand. But I feel that should still set it. Maybe I’m wrong? It feels a little heavy, I do have to cut it with another foundation just so it does not set weird in the lines on my face (hardly there) but this foundation really emphasizes the lines on my face. I’m 27 and they do not show up with any other foundation. I can’t wait to finish this bottle, but I still like her other products.
Shasha S.
Review for: Light 41 Neutral, Light 43 Warm, Light 45 Neutral, 47 Light - Neutral Undertone more...
Charlotte P.
Redondo Beach
Review for: 52 Medium - Warm Undertone more...
I started using this product since I was about 21, which was 2015. I loved this product, and I still do to this day. It covers up all the dullness in my skin because I have dark undercircles and it covers that up. I like it as well, because I have a little bit of redness in my cheeks and it gives me a great cover finish. It is very good for combination skin types. I would definitely buy it again. I love everything Kat Von D makes and she is wonderful with her product line. I'm so happy to know that it even covers tattoos. I love it very much. Overall, I would recommend this product. Wet N Wild Photo Focus™ Setting Spray - Seal the Deal
Nicole A.
Mc Kees Rocks, PA
I bought 2 different shade planning to return the one that fit me less but I ended up keeping them both. They will seriously last you forever and are deff worth their price. It is full coverage so if that's what ur looking for and have never tried this then I would really recommend it and I have to many! Some find its heavy but I don't think it's that heavy. It's not cakey on me neither but I can't speak for others. Many shades to choose from and I was sold on this after the lady at seohora color matched me with the handheld device. I wasn't sold on the price but I really needed to try other foundations besides drug store brands and bare minerals (I was starting to hate it, too cakey) but anyways like I said I kept both shade and that was literally over 2 Yeats ago and I still have alot left! It pays for itself! All the KVD products I've used are well worth the money and are long lasting and amazing amazing amazing products. Also the shade n light pallete was the very first high end pallete I have ever bought (few years ago) and I still have never hit a pan yet! Love KVD! Also her eyeliner is to die for it was the very first KVD product I ever used (trooper) and bought (and I have bought MANY since then) next time I go to sephora I want to buy the brown one and see what that one's about. Her liquid lipsticks are to die for aswell! Bomb!
Jacqueline R.
Brownsville, TX
Review for: Medium 65 Warm more...
At first I wasn't too sold when I got matched because of the price but after trying other full coverage foundations in the market I had to go back for mine.  My skin is a combination of oily and not so dry if that makes sense so I thought this would make me look cakey in the t zone.  I was so wrong!!! I love this foundation its definitely full coverage.  But it's so good that you can play with it for example if you don't want that really full coverage but enough to cover a good amount of imperfections or discoloration or simply if you want to go a little natural for the day, you can!!! All you have to do is mix it with your face primer and you're done!!! But if you want that full coverage this is your best friend all you really need is about two pumps and done! Definitely worth the price and you get your moneys worth because it last so long (bottle wise but also on your face wise)
Robyn W.
What is the best way to apply? fingers? brush? beauty blender?
Amanda W.
Cat B.
Crowley tx
Does this foundation come on very thick?
Ceci F.
I have Rosacea, would this be able to cover up my rosy red cheeks?
Amanda C.