Add a Photo

By KAT VON D
#21 in Liquid Foundation

A high-pigment foundation for full coverage with a long-lasting, beautiful finish. Kat created this foundation to provide exceptional coverage, without compromising a smooth, striking finish. Formulated with 21 percent pigment, this powerful formula was developed to match a broad range of skintones with bold coverage the proprietary pigments can even effectively cover tattoos. The combination of raw materials and the best siliconic elastomers and siliconic esters provide 24-hour wear with transfer resistance. Natural polymers absorb oil for a matte, soft finish and the added emollients provide a velvety texture for perfectly smooth, hydrated skin. It is formulated Without: - Parabens - Synthetic Fragrances This foundation has been formulated to work synergistically with Kat's Rehab Priming Elixir, Tattoo Concealer, and Lock 'N Load Setting Mist.

Photos (783)
Austen G.
Austen G.
Gilmer, TX

This is my holy grail foundation. I've worn it consistently for YEARS. I've tried a few new products here and there but I always come back to this one.

I have had pretty much every skin issue in the book. I have rosacea, so my face is red all the time. I have dark circles under my eyes. I have uneven skin texture and tiny bumps from my rosacea. I get acne all the time. I had combination skin for pretty much my entire life with a super oily t-zone and a dry forehead and cheeks, now all of a sudden my skin has done a 180 to being super dry. I have really sensitive skin, I break out easy, I get irritated easily. And I've tried SO MANY foundations. At least 15, mostly high end but a few drug store as well. This foundation has been my saving grace you guys.

The things I look for in a foundation is EXTREME FULL COVERAGE, matte finish, good for combo/dry skin, and not irritating to my sensitive skin. This one hits all the marks.

I have never found a foundation that was as full coverage as this one. I've tried so many and the closest I've used is Estee Lauder Double Wear, but that one felt heavier on the skin and broke me out from constantly clogging my pores. I've tried so many other high end foundations that claim to be full coverage, but they don't even come close. When I say full coverage, I mean I want my face FULLY covered! No redness, no discoloration, no dark spots, no freckles, no acne. I don't want any of it to show through and this foundation hides all those imperfections.

While this is a thicker foundation, I don't find that it wears uncomfortably on the skin. The Estee Lauder Double Wear felt like a clay mask on my skin. The Kat Von D Lock It is thick, but it doesn't feel as heavy as you would expect it to. It's far from a light weight product, but for the amount of work it does a slightly heavier foundation is worth it for me.

I've also tried several "medium-to-full" and buildable coverage foundations and found that they just didn't work for my skin. Because my skin has so many problems and is so textured, building up coverage does nothing but make me look cakey. If you have textured skin or skin that doesn't build up well, go with the Kat Von D!! It's so much better to have a thicker foundation that only requires one layer than a lighter feeling one that you have to cake layers on.

I also love how far this foundation goes. Because it is so full coverage, a little goes a long way. Whenever I was wearing this pretty much every day, it would last me three months. Now that I only wear makeup when I go out somewhere (maybe once a week or every two weeks) it's lasting me pretty much forever. I've had the same bottle since November. I can cover my entire face in about a pump and a half.

Something I will say is be careful with the colors you choose. I always get my foundation at Sephora and I do not trust the lights in Sephora whatsoever. I have really fair skin and finding a foundation that was light enough for me that didn't make me look like a dead body but still wasn't orange on my skin is a STRUGGLE.

I started wearing this foundation in 2013 and over the years I've fluctuated between Light 45 (light beige with warm undertone) Light 44 (fair alabaster with cool undertone) and Light 46 (light taupe with cool undertone). I think the biggest issue was that my Sephora NEVER had any of the shades in stock so I would just grab whatever they had that was the closest to the one that actually matches me. The Light 45 with warm undertone always made me look orange, probably because I have cool undertones. So just be careful with the shade you select and don't be afraid to return it if it doesn't work! It's your money you're investing, you should be able to take it home and try it in various lighting before making a decision. Or even ask them for a sample, there will be more than enough to do your full face a couple of times. She came out with even more shades with different undertones, so I think there is a good variety on the market now so everyone can find their perfect color.

One thing I love about this foundation is that you do not need concealer! I literally didn't ever use concealer but felt like it was something I needed to get because all the beauty gurus on youtube used it and it seriously made no difference with this foundation. This will give you all of the coverage you could ask for.

Something else I love is the design of the bottle. The pump makes it easy to use and it moves the bottom up as you use it, so you can accurately see how much you have left and you don't waste any product! Other foundation bottles are so difficult once you start running out and you've got to hit them and tilt them and use them every certain way to get the last bit out. But this eliminates all that struggle and stress. When it's gone, it's gone. Throw it out and get a new bottle.

I think there are several ways you can apply this, depending on what works best for your skin. I used to always just use my fingers to apply makeup and that worked for me for years. I've used a brush with this a couple of times, and while it looked good it just wasn't my favorite, but I don't like how brushes apply any foundation I have. Lastly, I've tried the beauty blender and I've never gone back. I just pump this foundation onto the back of my hand, dab it all over my face and then blend away. It looks flawless every time!

At the end of the day, this foundation covers all of my imperfections - and there are a LOT  of them. If you're someone who NEEDS full coverage, who has a lot of redness or acne, and needs things covered up completely, this foundation will work great for you. If your skin isn't that bad, then I don't think this foundation is necessary- go with a medium coverage that's buildable.
Suzette G.
Suzette G.

I got a sample of this foundation and after using for about three days, I am in love!  I have been using the Kat Von D Lock it Foundation in shade Medium 57 Warm and am very happy with this full coverage foundation.  I have combination skin, with a very oily forehead mostly but my cheeks and chin do get oily too.  I am very impressed with this foundation but already love her Everlasting Liquid lipsticks so I shouldn't have been so surprised.  This truly is a full coverage foundation; it's a somewhat thick formula but I am okay with that as it glides on very easily.  I like using my Sephora Pro #56 brush when I apply foundation while mostly focusing it on my lower cheeks and jaw as I have a large amount of redness in those areas.  I do apply a little bit on my forehead to help keep me matte throughout the day.  The shade Medium 57 Warm seems to match my skin pretty perfectly; I have a heavy yellow undertone with green veins (which is why Warm works for me).  I love everything about the foundation from the adorable bottle, to the great price ($35 for a high end foundation is  a steal in my opinion), to the user friendly pump, and of course the biggest thing being that it actually does what it says.  I typically like my skin to "show through" with my beauty marks and don't want to feel like I have a mask on my face with full coverage foundation but I focus mostly on my redness.  It covers every amount of redness without looking caked on too.  I would say if you are combination skin to make sure you use a primer with this; I use the Becca Ever-Matte Primer on my forehead and cheeks and the Laura Geller Spackle hydrating primer on my lower cheeks, nose and mouth area (they peel very badly).  The foundation blends easily but something I did notice the first time I used it is that it dries very quickly, so blend fast!  I like to drag my foundation a tiny bit to my neck as my face is darker than the rest of my body for whatever reason.  I also love the fact that Kat Von D products do not test on animals as I am starting to venture to more "eco friendly" beauty products.  Honoring every claim this foundation has, the Kat Von D Lock-It foundation is a 5!
Sara R.
Sara R.
Saylorsburg, PA

My sister bought me this foundation from Sephora for $35 as a gift and I was really, really excited to use it. My sister always has the nicest foundations and I've always had the $8 drugstore ones. When I first tried this, about a month ago, I didn't really notice a difference in how my skin looked compared to how it would look when I used my $8 foundation. I was disappointed. I apply foundation using a damp beauty blender, by the way. I thought I looked the same... But, after school started back up and I have been wearing it every day to college, I have actually noticed that my skin looks NICE for once in my life! I think I just sloppily applied it the first time, because now, my skin always looks so finished and, dare I even say air brushed!?! I'm someone with really pale skin. I also have dark purple under eye coloration, bright red/pink rosacea, and oily skin. The Kat Von D foundation works well with all of this. For me, it hasn't become cakey. My skin also ceases to look greasy. Once in a while, if it's hot or something, my skin will look a little shiny, but I think it actually works because of this new highlighter/illumination trend happening now :-). Overall, I really love this foundation, thanks to my sister. You get a lot for what you pay for, especially since you only need about one pump to cover your full face. (I love the pump, also, by the way, very convenient). It applies very easily with my beauty blender, and it looks nice!! When I wear it, I actually feel like I have CLEAR SKIN for once in my life! I'm so happy to have this foundation, try it out! I'm very pale and my shade is "Light 44 Cool".
Mika H.
Mika H.

If you're looking for extremely good coverage and long lasting foundation, then this is your pick. I first got this foundation because I suffer from oily skin and prone to acne, and have a good amount of PIH and redness that needs to be covered up. This foundation is very thick and with two pumps I can cover all of my face and bring it down part of my neck. I do set it with powder, so it tends to look cakey sometimes but I go light with it. I only do that because I have oily skin and if I don't set this foundation, it will slide around and I will become a very oily mess in no time at all. At times I notice it does apply patchy, so use either a really good brush with it or even beauty blender to make sure it looks even. You also will have it get into fine lines at times, especially as the day goes on. I used to work at a restaurant and I would wear this every single day, especially night shifts when it would be crazy busy and I would be running around and in the hot kitchen area. This foundation would get me through those days. I give it four stars because although I do love it, it's not perfect for me and I can only wear it so often and on days when I really need my makeup to last and when I can't touch up. I still get oily with this but for the sake of such great coverage I think it's worth owning and for super fair skin too it has nice shades.
Sarah M.
Sarah M.
Braselton, GA

Honestly, this is one of my favorite foundations. I have freckles, and although I like having the freckled, beachy look sometimes, I prefer a full coverage on most days. This gives me that.
At $35, you are getting SO much out of this. It is cheaper than most high end foundations, and a little goes a long way! It is a very heavy foundation, and because of that it can crease if you don't set it. Most of the time, I mix it with a thin consistency foundation to create a perfect finish. I have mixed it with Teint Idole Ultra 24H Long Wear Foundation, Maybelline Fit Me, and Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse. Honestly, you could use anything to kind of tone it down a little. THIS WORK WONDERS covering my freckles. You only need about 1 or 2 pumps to cover your face. You don't want to put too much, because this can begin to look cakey, which is why I like to mix it. It doesn't get pachy, can bear through sweat and oils. Although this is a thick foundation, it does not feel smothering. I see that most of the reviews here say that they love this foundation and they have dry skin. I have oily skin and ADORE this foundation. It is definitely one of my holy grails and I will always go back to it.
Shawna P.
Shawna P.
Phoenix, AZ

After having a horrible experience trying to find a holy grail foundation, I was hesitant to try yet another one recommended by Sephora. I live in Arizona and have oily skin, not the best combination. I am also prone to acne and have acne scars that I have to have covered or else...yeah no. I first tried the MUFE foundation that everyone and their mom swears by. This barely covered my scars and I had to use a ton just to get decent coverage, Then I tried two shades of UD All Nighter. Lasted....not long and looked horrible...I'm talking major oxidation and looked cakey and totally like I used a one dollar foundation. Back to the store I went.

I finally was recommended this stuff, and it took me a bit to get used to. I love the coverage and how you only have to use a little. I was told by the salesperson to apply this with a brush, but for some reason it didn't seem to last as long and didn't look as even. I now use a beauty blender and it lasts pretty well. Does it last all night? Not really, but it still looks semi nice even after hours of wear. And best of all...it's cheaper than all their other ones I tried!
Ivana U.
Ivana U.

I've struggled with acne for years, no matter how well I care for my skin. This foundation gives me long-lasting (seriously ALL day!) full-coverage, and confidence to boot. It doesn't break me out, or feel too heavy like others I've tried. I use Light 44 Cool, and it matches my skin perfectly. (I went to Sephora and requested a sample to try before committing to the big bottle.)Would also recommend the coordinating primer, concealer, and setting power. The concealer color I use is L5 Neutral. It adds a perfect brightness to my skin and undereyes, without looking too harsh or white. The packaging of this foundation is one of the best parts. The pump puts out just enough product. I like to know that I'm putting one pump (sometimes 2) on my face, so that I get the results I like each time. Again, this is full coverage, but that doesn't mean it needs to be caked on! It's easy to over do it, but using the product sparingly still goes a long way. My skin is clearing up now, but I will definitely continue to use this foundation. It's kinda changed my life. #gamechanger
Luna G.
Luna G.
Milwaukie, OR

This is a good match for my skin tone. I'm about an N5 and related to Casper the friendly ghost. XD I haven't used this with the KVD primer. I have used this on its own and with other primers. The coverage is great. I find applying it with a damp beauty blender works best for me. I find that I don't need to use a powder to set this. I have dehydrated skin and adding powder on top of it makes it look patchy and it creates dry patches/flakes. For me it's best with no powder. It does well with and without a setting spray. It does melt a little and disappear where my glasses sit, but I find that every foundation/bb cream I use does this. I get a good 6-8 hours wear out of it before it starts to kind of disappear around my nose. This does not irritate my skin and it doesn't cause any break outs. This is great for me since I have had issues with other foundations causing breakouts. I am super pleased with this foundation. Not only does it match my pale skin very well but it doesn't cause breakouts and it wears really well. Would definitely buy again.
Cori K.
Cori K.
West Chester , PA

This foundation covers EVERYTHING. From freckles, redness, pimples, blackheads, to dark under eyes. This is one of my holy grail makeup products and I will continually buy this day in and day out. I love to use this foundation before I go out because I have so much confidence in myself and my makeup. The packaging is perfect. Every time you pump it, the bottom comes up to ensure that you are getting every last drop of the foundation goodness. It also lasts you a while as well. Only one pump of this product is all I need to get the perfect amount of coverage. My only downfall to this product is that too much is seen as way too much. It starts to get cakey and flakey as well and let's be honest, no one wants that. I usually apply this with my favorite ELF ultimate blending brush because it really bends the foundation in and I don't feel as if it is just sitting on my skin. I have never tried to apply it with a beauty blender so I couldn't tell you how it applies then. This foundation is worth every penny, I can assure you that 10000%!!!!
Miranda R.
Miranda R.
Fresno, CA

This foundation...where do I begin? I really wanted to like this product, because 1. It is full coverage 2. It's staying power and 3. It looks so good on others. I went to Sephora to purchase a good, long wear, and full coverage foundation. I was unsure of whether to try this or the Estée Lauder Double Wear (which I have yet to try) and was swayed to buy the Lock-It foundation over the latter. I decided to use it the next day, and the first thing I noticed was the smell. It reminded me of paint. When I applied it, it seemed hard to blend and very thick, again, like paint. I did notice the redness in my face disappeared and any other blemishes, but it made my skin feel heavy, especially after highlighting and contouring. I decided to get my money's worth and use the remainder of the product, but only on nights out when I know I wouldn't be sweating in the sun, or only wearing makeup for a few hours. I most likely won't be purchasing this again, but I do envy those who have had a positive experience with this product.
Robyn W.
Robyn W.

What is the best way to apply? fingers? brush? beauty blender?
Amanda W.
Amanda W.

Ceci F.
Ceci F.

I have Rosacea, would this be able to cover up my rosy red cheeks?
Cat B.
Cat B.
Crowley tx

Does this foundation come on very thick?
Amanda C.