Kat Von D Lock-it Tattoo FoundationInfluenster Beauty Awards Winner 2016

BY KAT VON D #7 in Liquid Foundation

A high-pigment foundation for full coverage with a long-lasting, beautiful finish. Kat created this foundation to provide exceptional coverage, without compromising a smooth, striking finish. Formulated with 21 percent pigment, this powerful formula was developed to match a broad range of skintones with bold coverage the proprietary pigments can even effectively cover tattoos. The combination of raw materials and the best siliconic elastomers and siliconic esters provide 24-hour wear with transfer resistance. Natural polymers absorb oil for a matte, soft finish and the added emollients provide a velvety texture for perfectly smooth, hydrated skin. It is formulated Without: - Parabens - Synthetic Fragrances This foundation has been formulated to work synergistically with Kat's Rehab Priming Elixir, Tattoo Concealer, and Lock 'N Load Setting Mist.

• What is the best way to apply? fingers? brush? beauty ble...182 Answers
  • Kat Von D Lock-it Tattoo Foundation Kat Von D Tattoo Lin...1 Answers
  • Does this stay on long enough or does it fade away thru o...9 Answers
Reviews (19063)
Heather D.
Newark
Review for: 47 Light - Neutral Undertone, 48 Light - Neutral Undertone more...
I'm not sure if everyone else giving this bad reviews about it being super-thick, hard to apply or not lasting long is because of the way they are applying it or if the fact that I use an awesome primer ( BECCA Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector™ ) that I don't have or see these types of issues. (although I have used it with  Urban Decay Optical Illusion Complexion Primer and have gotten almost the same wear out of it)

I have always had major issues with finding foundations that will actually stay on my face. My forehead is oily, the rest of my face is pretty normal, but I break out all sweaty whenever I get slightly warm.

With each and every other foundation that I've tried (except one of the Clinique lines), using them with primers, with fixing sprays, alone, etc, they will come off as soon as I touch my face with anything - hands, clothes, tissues... it didn't matter. My work phone & keyboard had residue all over them from it coming of on my hands or rubbing off on my phone. Then after a few hours, whatever was left would clump into spots on my face. Unfortunately, due to rather dark circles under my eyes, I don't ever leave the house without foundation on, so I'm always looking for one that will actually work.

Here's the deal - this one actually works! And it lasts all day! It goes on easy and doesn't feel heavy or cakey. I use one pump for my entire face, use an applicator sponge to spread it around then a light application of the  Kat Von D Lock-it Setting Powder and i'm done. While it's a good foundation, it doesn't cover up or disappear my dark circles or any blemishes that I may have - that's what I use a concealer for. I guess if you layered it on or put a large amount on initially and didn't spread it out a lot, it would be able to cover those things, but that's not how I use it.

My only issue with it is more with Sephora than the foundation because they are continually sold out of the shade I used to use, which sent me on a quest for another foundation to discover that nothing matches the Lock-it's performance. So, I made a slight adjustment on the shade and went back to this one.
Laura T.
Review for: Other more...
This is a 3.5/4 star review. I use this foundation with the Lock It setting powder and Lock it Edge foundation brush. I have relatively normal skin with oil on the tip of my nose, a bit on my cheeks, and my chin. I have acne, and this foundation does a very good job of covering up my acne. There is a natural matte finish with a light glow to it, but even though radiant foundations accentuate my acne, this one keeps my acne visibility at a minimal.

This foundation goes on very well, it is immediately full coverage and I usually use around 3-5 pumps to cover my entire face. Its a light foundation, does not feel like it is suffocating my skin, but the initial smell reminds me of acrylic paint. The foundation blends well with the edge brush, and I have tried it with a beauty blender but personally like the lock it edge brush better (They are both good).

Although this foundation is supposed to last twenty four hours, the redness on my nose seeps beyond the foundation after 5 hours but the rest of my face (even the acne on my cheeks/contour area) is intact. However, the foundation settles into the cracks on the side of my nostrils, and my pores become visible after about 4 to five hours. My laugh lines get pretty bad after about 3 hours, and I try to blend it out with a paper towel when I am at work.

This foundation IS NOT "non-transferrable". If I touch my skin, the foundation comes off and can leave my skin looking patchy... It is a good foundation if you do not touch your face... ever. So far, this foundation is the best one that I have been able to use but I am vegan, so my options are not as extensive as I would like ( there are many that are vegan formulas but the companies test on animals so I reject those as well ).

Overall, this formula is okay if you are able to touch up. I think touching up your skin is pretty common though, but keeping a brush or something to correct any creases in your skin and touch up particularly oily areas is a good idea.
Regina L.
spruce pine, NC
Review for: Medium 54 Neutral more...
I have been on the longest journey for finding my perfect foundation! I just started back getting into makeup again since i have had my three children and started out with only drugstore items.
Every single time i felt like i found a foundation that worked great on my skin and gave me the coverage that i was looking for, i would soon discover that it indeed wasn't the foundation for me!
My most recent favorite has been the ordinary coverage foundation, which was recommended to me by an actual makeup artist. So once i was told how wonderful it was, of course i was excited and went straight to my computer to order some! It works pretty well and they have many shades! I have used it for a few months now vut i have issues with getting the coverage from that one that others seem to get (maybe i am doing something wrong).
Well, i recently received the lock it tattoo foundation as a sample from sephora and finally got around to using it. I am so amazed! I see such mixed reviews on this foundation so of course i was a vit nervous to try it. I honestly dont understand the negative reviews on this! It doesnt take much at all to cover the entire face, i dont feel cakey and the coverage is amazing!! My only issue with it was how fast it dries but i can definitely work around that! I can honestly say that my foundation has never looked better! Im definitely making my order this week!
Jennifer P.
Jersey Vlg, TX
Review for: Light 45 Neutral more...
If you want something that covers well for pictures then this is the one for you but all day it’s a no. It excentuates my lines and sun damage wrinkles. I’m a neutral undertone and can be warm or cool just a little and I got 42 which is a light neutral but it’s pretty yellow. It’s a nice light color but I think I definitely should have went with the 41 especially after setting powder and all.

I didn’t use a ton but I definitely used enough because I got pretty decent coverage but not full coverage. After it dries it’s more lightweight but definitely goes on heavy. I bet if I used more I’d get complete full coverage but I just can’t do that in this Texas heat. Overall, it feels nice in the skin but for the cost and coverage, I like the makeup forever ultra hd better than this. Creases less and covers the same but it doesnt hold out all day like this. So really a mixed review to me. I don’t see the hype. Makes me remember why I hate Foundation. Was worth a try and I thought it’d make me be into Foundation due to the hype. Verdict is.....nope. P. S. I’m 35 and also go by purplepiper516 or Piper0516

First photo shows natural lighting inside. Second is while I was outside in my car. Shows the lines more. Cakey
Alisha J.
Walworth, NY
Review for: Medium 54 Neutral more...
Let me start off by saying that normally I would never pay $36 to try a foundation, so I was ecstatic when Influenster gave this to me for free in exchange for my 100% honest review!

This foundation is AMAZING! I honestly can’t believe how well it works. Good coverage is more important to me than anything else and this delivers that better than any other foundation I’ve used. Before using this, I would use a two different primers, a B.B. cream, foundation, powder, and two finishing powders (yes, crazy, I know) to get the look I wanted to achieve.

When I used this I didn’t use any primer to see how well it worked on it’s own and, amazingly, I don’t think it needs anything else!

The second I put it on I could tell it was going to work well because as a teenager I was prone to breakouts which has resulted in me having several acne scars and I couldn’t see the redness or bumpiness from them at all.
Once I blended it it still kept that same coverage, and a little goes a LONG way.
I used two pumps (both smaller than the size of a pea) and I was able to cover my whole face and some of my neck (I like to go down a bit further to make sure the blending looks good!).
I’ve been wearing it for a while now and my face is soft to the touch, and doesn’t feel oily at all (which is a problem I usually have).

Overall, it works beautifully and I will definitely be switching to this and using it in my daily makeup routine (for me, even though it’s $36, since I won’t need any of the products I used before to give me the coverage I needed, I’ll probably end up SAVING money!).

I highly recommend trying it even though it might seem like a pricer option (for those of us that only use drugstore makeup, anyways) because I bet you’ll be surprised at how well it works just like I was! Kat Von D Lock-it Tattoo Foundation
Morgan H.
Huntingdon Vy, PA
Review for: 42 LIGHT - NEUTRAL UNDERTONE, 45 LIGHT - WARM UNDERTONE, 48 Light - Neutral Undertone more...
I hate to be negative but this is probably my least favorite foundation. It is full coverage but it’s really heavy on the skin. It gets cakey and looks like a mask on my skin. I can’t recommend for anything other than tattoo coverage which it is great for obviously given the name of the foundation. But other than that, I really dislike this foundation. I’ve tried sheering it out multiple times with a moisturizer and I still don’t like it because it still clings to my dry patches. So now, I only use this on my clients when I’m doing bridal makeup and they need me to cover a tattoo that’s on their body. If it comes to a face tattoo I will do an entire different process so that I’m not applying this foundation to the face because of the mask-like appearance it gives. If you love the fullest of full coverage you may end up liking this, but even my friends that only wear full coverage foundations weren’t a fan of this either. I wouldn’t recommend this for dry skin, because it empathizes damn near all the dryness on my face no matter how much I exfoliate and moisturize my skin beforehand. I’ve honestly tried to make this work over 10 times because when I spend my hard earned money on a product I want to get use out of it of course. So although I didn’t end up liking the foundation on my skin, I’m at least happy that I found use for it with tattoo coverage. But that being said, when I run out of this completely I won’t be repurchasing because I have other products that give just as much coverage and cover tattoos just as good as this does. Because of that, I find no need to spend the money on this yet again to only use it for one thing. It’s too steep of a price tag also for me to purchase again solely for that reason. I use it now because I have it and it works and I do my best to use the products till there is not a drop left if possible.
Savannah H.
Mission Viejo, CA
Review for: 52 Medium - Warm Undertone more...
SO TO BEGIN WITH the color for the foundation I was sent wasn't my color as it had a red undertone and I'm Asian with a yellow undertone, BUT it matched my friend so I asked her to try it out for me and this is what she had to say about it:
1. smooth application
2. nearly invisible with how well it matched her skin
3. the cap was a bit hard to figure out how to take off
4. bottle was portable and cute
5. she asked to keep it after using it for one day (and ofc I let her b/c what am I going to do with foundation that doesn't match me haha)

The CONCEALER that was included though DID match me and here are my thoughts:
1. smooth and lightweight
2. matched my skin shade wonderfully
3. did NOT crack at all throughout the day
4. I don't normally use concealer since I get a good night's rest on a daily basis and therefore don't deal with bags under my eyes and with my rigorous 5 step skin care routine, I don't have much acne to hide; however, I will definitely be keeping this in case I ever do breakout as this does an amazing job of concealing anything remotely unsightly!  I tested it out on a stubborn little patch of acne on my jawline and it disappeared.
Jasmine B.
Review for: Deep 78 Neutral more...
It would have been really great if there was at least one other shade of Deep Neutral.  As of right now, there is only ONE deep shade of Lock It foundation for people with neutral undertones.  I'm hoping that will change in the future.

This is a thick, FULL COVERAGE foundation.  There is no such thing as layering when it comes to Lock It.  Most people probably won't even need to use a full pump to cover their entire face.  I didn't see it oxidize that much.  One thing that I don't like about this foundation is that it tends to dry down and set almost immediately so you have to blend it fast.  I prefer to use my Sigma F80 - Flat Kabuki Brush .

I start to see a little bit of oil seep through on my nose after 6 hours of wear; this is excellent for my skin type.  I do find that the coverage is a bit more long lasting when I set it with the  Kat Von D Lock-it Makeup Setting Mist than some of my other setting sprays.
Edita P.
Middleton, MA
Review for: 45 LIGHT - WARM UNDERTONE more...
I have light skin that is normal. I picked shade 45 as it was described as light with neutral undertone. It looks pretty fine in the bottle, but once I tested it on my hand, it seemed way too yellow and too dark for me. However, it seemed to match me quite well when I applied it on the face. It is still on the darker side, but it is wearable and will be perfect when i tan. My only complaint is that it is a very very thick foundation. It still applies good, but I prefer lighter feeling on my skin, so I use it by mixing in some serum or moisturizer into the foundation. It gets thinner and applies easier. It still looks great and gives long lasting full coverage.

I purchased this foundation before a trip to Europe. I also took another foundation (just in case), but never touched it as I loved Kat Von D. It was reliable every time I used it. It was great for 10 hour trip to Europe (9 hours on a plane) and lasted throughout most of that day once I reached my destination. The trip back was 15 hours and the foundation lasted perfectly. I slept on the plane, touched my face, etc and my makeup still looked great
Katie W.
Stoneville
Review for: 62 Medium - Warm Undertone, 48 Light - Neutral Undertone more...
First of all I am reviewing shades 62 Medium and 48 Light because those are the shades I find that match my skin tone in summer and winter respectively. I tan up quite a bit in the summer, and I always seem to find the right match and undertone at anytime of the year which is a huge plus.

The foundation stays true to its name is it is FULL coverage, which is good for full glam looks, and even on more natural days I find it easy to spread out. It is however really thick almost like a cream, and no matter how much is on there is never a weightless feel to it. It also sinks into lines sometimes, in my case even ones I didn't know existed.

I would definitely buy this product again as i enjoy doing full glam looks, and when it is properly blended and set with powder, it has a great finish. I would recommend this to a person who also loves going full glam, yet I would worn to definitely take into consideration that the foundation oxidizes a bit, so maybe go a shade lighter than you normally would.

Robyn W.
What is the best way to apply? fingers? brush? beauty blender?
Amanda W.
Cat B.
Crowley tx
Does this foundation come on very thick?
Ceci F.
I have Rosacea, would this be able to cover up my rosy red cheeks?
Amanda C.