Kat Von D Lock-it Tattoo FoundationInfluenster Beauty Awards Winner 2016

BY KAT VON D #17 in Liquid Foundation

A high-pigment foundation for full coverage with a long-lasting, beautiful finish. Kat created this foundation to provide exceptional coverage, without compromising a smooth, striking finish. Formulated with 21 percent pigment, this powerful formula was developed to match a broad range of skintones with bold coverage the proprietary pigments can even effectively cover tattoos. The combination of raw materials and the best siliconic elastomers and siliconic esters provide 24-hour wear with transfer resistance. Natural polymers absorb oil for a matte, soft finish and the added emollients provide a velvety texture for perfectly smooth, hydrated skin. It is formulated Without: - Parabens - Synthetic Fragrances This foundation has been formulated to work synergistically with Kat's Rehab Priming Elixir, Tattoo Concealer, and Lock 'N Load Setting Mist.

Buy on Sephora
Laura T.
Review for: Other more...
This is a 3.5/4 star review. I use this foundation with the Lock It setting powder and Lock it Edge foundation brush. I have relatively normal skin with oil on the tip of my nose, a bit on my cheeks, and my chin. I have acne, and this foundation does a very good job of covering up my acne. There is a natural matte finish with a light glow to it, but even though radiant foundations accentuate my acne, this one keeps my acne visibility at a minimal.

This foundation goes on very well, it is immediately full coverage and I usually use around 3-5 pumps to cover my entire face. Its a light foundation, does not feel like it is suffocating my skin, but the initial smell reminds me of acrylic paint. The foundation blends well with the edge brush, and I have tried it with a beauty blender but personally like the lock it edge brush better (They are both good).

Although this foundation is supposed to last twenty four hours, the redness on my nose seeps beyond the foundation after 5 hours but the rest of my face (even the acne on my cheeks/contour area) is intact. However, the foundation settles into the cracks on the side of my nostrils, and my pores become visible after about 4 to five hours. My laugh lines get pretty bad after about 3 hours, and I try to blend it out with a paper towel when I am at work.

This foundation IS NOT "non-transferrable". If I touch my skin, the foundation comes off and can leave my skin looking patchy... It is a good foundation if you do not touch your face... ever. So far, this foundation is the best one that I have been able to use but I am vegan, so my options are not as extensive as I would like ( there are many that are vegan formulas but the companies test on animals so I reject those as well ).

Overall, this formula is okay if you are able to touch up. I think touching up your skin is pretty common though, but keeping a brush or something to correct any creases in your skin and touch up particularly oily areas is a good idea.
Morgan H.
Huntingdon Vy, PA
Review for: 42 LIGHT - NEUTRAL UNDERTONE, 45 LIGHT - WARM UNDERTONE, 48 Light - Neutral Undertone more...
I hate to be negative but this is probably my least favorite foundation. It is full coverage but it’s really heavy on the skin. It gets cakey and looks like a mask on my skin. I can’t recommend for anything other than tattoo coverage which it is great for obviously given the name of the foundation. But other than that, I really dislike this foundation. I’ve tried sheering it out multiple times with a moisturizer and I still don’t like it because it still clings to my dry patches. So now, I only use this on my clients when I’m doing bridal makeup and they need me to cover a tattoo that’s on their body. If it comes to a face tattoo I will do an entire different process so that I’m not applying this foundation to the face because of the mask-like appearance it gives. If you love the fullest of full coverage you may end up liking this, but even my friends that only wear full coverage foundations weren’t a fan of this either. I wouldn’t recommend this for dry skin, because it empathizes damn near all the dryness on my face no matter how much I exfoliate and moisturize my skin beforehand. I’ve honestly tried to make this work over 10 times because when I spend my hard earned money on a product I want to get use out of it of course. So although I didn’t end up liking the foundation on my skin, I’m at least happy that I found use for it with tattoo coverage. But that being said, when I run out of this completely I won’t be repurchasing because I have other products that give just as much coverage and cover tattoos just as good as this does. Because of that, I find no need to spend the money on this yet again to only use it for one thing. It’s too steep of a price tag also for me to purchase again solely for that reason. I use it now because I have it and it works and I do my best to use the products till there is not a drop left if possible.
Maci P.
Atoka
Review for: Medium 54 Neutral more...
I wanted SO badly for this foundation to work for me. My very first high end foundation.
It just was not the foundation for me.
I would have rated it a 2, but it is a great FULL coverage foundation. Just NOT for DRY SKIN.
1st of all, I bought online so I ended up ordering a shade incredibly too dark for me.
I drove an hour to our closest Sephora store to return it and get help from a consultant to find the right shade for me.
First question from her "Are you really SET on KVD? It's a very heavy foundation and you do not look like you need something that heavy. And it is a matte finish, Which is the main reason it is sticking to your dry skin"
She set me up with another, lightweight, coconut oil infused, medium-full coverage foundation and WOW. The difference in the two is insane!
For dry skin, I'd rate the foundation a 1-2. Try something different!
For regular-oily skin.. 3-4. Give it a try!
Photo is with the KVD foundation on.. Just did not work for me and my dry skin. Can't tell in photo but I have orange dry skin spots ALL over my face. As u can tell, it is not the right color for me by comparing my face color to my chest. 😳
Jasmine B.
Review for: Deep 78 Neutral more...
It would have been really great if there was at least one other shade of Deep Neutral.  As of right now, there is only ONE deep shade of Lock It foundation for people with neutral undertones.  I'm hoping that will change in the future.

This is a thick, FULL COVERAGE foundation.  There is no such thing as layering when it comes to Lock It.  Most people probably won't even need to use a full pump to cover their entire face.  I didn't see it oxidize that much.  One thing that I don't like about this foundation is that it tends to dry down and set almost immediately so you have to blend it fast.  I prefer to use my Sigma F80 - Flat Kabuki Brush .

I start to see a little bit of oil seep through on my nose after 6 hours of wear; this is excellent for my skin type.  I do find that the coverage is a bit more long lasting when I set it with the  Kat Von D Lock-it Makeup Setting Mist than some of my other setting sprays.
Edita P.
Middleton, MA
Review for: 45 LIGHT - WARM UNDERTONE more...
I have light skin that is normal. I picked shade 45 as it was described as light with neutral undertone. It looks pretty fine in the bottle, but once I tested it on my hand, it seemed way too yellow and too dark for me. However, it seemed to match me quite well when I applied it on the face. It is still on the darker side, but it is wearable and will be perfect when i tan. My only complaint is that it is a very very thick foundation. It still applies good, but I prefer lighter feeling on my skin, so I use it by mixing in some serum or moisturizer into the foundation. It gets thinner and applies easier. It still looks great and gives long lasting full coverage.

I purchased this foundation before a trip to Europe. I also took another foundation (just in case), but never touched it as I loved Kat Von D. It was reliable every time I used it. It was great for 10 hour trip to Europe (9 hours on a plane) and lasted throughout most of that day once I reached my destination. The trip back was 15 hours and the foundation lasted perfectly. I slept on the plane, touched my face, etc and my makeup still looked great
Tanya M.
Arkansas City
Review for: 42 LIGHT - NEUTRAL UNDERTONE more...
I had always purchased drug store foundation and was never super happy with it. I had a friend and her foundation always looked flawless. I asked her what she used and it was Kat Von D Lock it foundation.

A few months later I decided I would like to try the foundation but had no clue what shade to get. I have always had a hard time selecting the right shade and more times than not I ended up with something too dark.

I decided I would go to the Sephora store and get professionally matched. When I got matched at first I thought the shade was going to be too light cause it was one of the the lighter shade.

I was super excited to try this foundation. The next day I tried out the foundation. I used a beauty blender to apply. I was amazed! It matched my skin tone perfectly! It went on so smooth and when I was done it looked beautiful! It gave me a gorgeous air brushed finish. I love this stuff and it is completely worth the price. I would highly recommend this brand.

Lindsey F.
Columbus, OH
Review for: 44 LIGHT - COOL UNDERTONE more...
I was so excited to try this! I love the packaging, the bottle really doesn’t let much go to waste, I have maybe a few weeks worth left in mine now I do don’t know if it will push quite ALL of it out. But so far it has scraped it clean. I like the coverage, it doesn’t match exactly, which blows because I was color matched haphazardly by the woman at Sephora, but it’s probably the closest I would’ve got in the shade range. My biggest problem with this is that it doesn’t last all day for me, and it clumps up around my nose where I wear my work glasses. I set it with a setting spray more than you probably should. I spent a lot of money on the spray yes and it is not her brand. But I feel that should still set it. Maybe I’m wrong? It feels a little heavy, I do have to cut it with another foundation just so it does not set weird in the lines on my face (hardly there) but this foundation really emphasizes the lines on my face. I’m 27 and they do not show up with any other foundation. I can’t wait to finish this bottle, but I still like her other products.
Charlotte P.
Redondo Beach
Review for: 52 Medium - Warm Undertone more...
I started using this product since I was about 21, which was 2015. I loved this product, and I still do to this day. It covers up all the dullness in my skin because I have dark undercircles and it covers that up. I like it as well, because I have a little bit of redness in my cheeks and it gives me a great cover finish. It is very good for combination skin types. I would definitely buy it again. I love everything Kat Von D makes and she is wonderful with her product line. I'm so happy to know that it even covers tattoos. I love it very much. Overall, I would recommend this product. Wet N Wild Photo Focus™ Setting Spray - Seal the Deal
Heather Pauline k.
denver
Review for: 45 LIGHT - WARM UNDERTONE more...
FINISH: Dries down to a matte, powdery finish. Can get patchy throughout the day. Recommend using a makeup finishing spray to keep makeup from getting patchy and cracking. APPLICATION: A little tricky because texture of the foundation is quite thick and dry. Recommend using a damp foundation brush and moisturizing face well. FEEL: Does not feel heavy at all, despite amazing coverage. COVERAGE: OMG! The best in a bottle I've ever come across. Very, very full coverage. Can also be used as a concealer. Covers everything, like acne and pigmentation. LASTING POWER: Lasts all day, but can get patchy and settle in lines. SKIN TYPE: All skin types except dry. Pretty good oil control. COLOR MATCH: Not the best, but fair selection of colors. Shades run light. I got Medium 52, which is just a tad light for my light-medium yellow skin. For reference, I am Soft Sand 127 in MUFE HD, Light Beige 203 in MUFE Duo Mat, Golden Medium in Bare Minerals, Golden Neutral in Clinique.
Nicole A.
Mc Kees Rocks, PA
I bought 2 different shade planning to return the one that fit me less but I ended up keeping them both. They will seriously last you forever and are deff worth their price. It is full coverage so if that's what ur looking for and have never tried this then I would really recommend it and I have to many! Some find its heavy but I don't think it's that heavy. It's not cakey on me neither but I can't speak for others. Many shades to choose from and I was sold on this after the lady at seohora color matched me with the handheld device. I wasn't sold on the price but I really needed to try other foundations besides drug store brands and bare minerals (I was starting to hate it, too cakey) but anyways like I said I kept both shade and that was literally over 2 Yeats ago and I still have alot left! It pays for itself! All the KVD products I've used are well worth the money and are long lasting and amazing amazing amazing products. Also the shade n light pallete was the very first high end pallete I have ever bought (few years ago) and I still have never hit a pan yet! Love KVD! Also her eyeliner is to die for it was the very first KVD product I ever used (trooper) and bought (and I have bought MANY since then) next time I go to sephora I want to buy the brown one and see what that one's about. Her liquid lipsticks are to die for aswell! Bomb!
Robyn W.
What is the best way to apply? fingers? brush? beauty blender?
Amanda W.
Cat B.
Crowley tx
Does this foundation come on very thick?
Ceci F.
I have Rosacea, would this be able to cover up my rosy red cheeks?
Amanda C.