Kat Von D Lock-it Tattoo FoundationInfluenster Beauty Awards Winner 2016

BY KAT VON D #19 in Liquid Foundation

A high-pigment foundation for full coverage with a long-lasting, beautiful finish. Kat created this foundation to provide exceptional coverage, without compromising a smooth, striking finish. Formulated with 21 percent pigment, this powerful formula was developed to match a broad range of skintones with bold coverage the proprietary pigments can even effectively cover tattoos. The combination of raw materials and the best siliconic elastomers and siliconic esters provide 24-hour wear with transfer resistance. Natural polymers absorb oil for a matte, soft finish and the added emollients provide a velvety texture for perfectly smooth, hydrated skin. It is formulated Without: - Parabens - Synthetic Fragrances This foundation has been formulated to work synergistically with Kat's Rehab Priming Elixir, Tattoo Concealer, and Lock 'N Load Setting Mist.

• What is the best way to apply? fingers? brush? beauty blender?168 Answers
  • Does this stay on long enough or does it fade away thru out the day?8 Answers
  • How pale is the palest shade of this? Is it good ...Be the first to answer!
Buy on Sephora
Sara R.
Sara R.
Saylorsburg, PA
My sister bought me this foundation from Sephora for $35 as a gift and I was really, really excited to use it. My sister always has the nicest foundations and I've always had the $8 drugstore ones. When I first tried this, about a month ago, I didn't really notice a difference in how my skin looked compared to how it would look when I used my $8 foundation. I was disappointed. I apply foundation using a damp beauty blender, by the way. I thought I looked the same... But, after school started back up and I have been wearing it every day to college, I have actually noticed that my skin looks NICE for once in my life! I think I just sloppily applied it the first time, because now, my skin always looks so finished and, dare I even say air brushed!?! I'm someone with really pale skin. I also have dark purple under eye coloration, bright red/pink rosacea, and oily skin. The Kat Von D foundation works well with all of this. For me, it hasn't become cakey. My skin also ceases to look greasy. Once in a while, if it's hot or something, my skin will look a little shiny, but I think it actually works because of this new highlighter/illumination trend happening now :-). Overall, I really love this foundation, thanks to my sister. You get a lot for what you pay for, especially since you only need about one pump to cover your full face. (I love the pump, also, by the way, very convenient). It applies very easily with my beauty blender, and it looks nice!! When I wear it, I actually feel like I have CLEAR SKIN for once in my life! I'm so happy to have this foundation, try it out! I'm very pale and my shade is "Light 44 Cool".
Mika H.
Mika H.
If you're looking for extremely good coverage and long lasting foundation, then this is your pick. I first got this foundation because I suffer from oily skin and prone to acne, and have a good amount of PIH and redness that needs to be covered up. This foundation is very thick and with two pumps I can cover all of my face and bring it down part of my neck. I do set it with powder, so it tends to look cakey sometimes but I go light with it. I only do that because I have oily skin and if I don't set this foundation, it will slide around and I will become a very oily mess in no time at all. At times I notice it does apply patchy, so use either a really good brush with it or even beauty blender to make sure it looks even. You also will have it get into fine lines at times, especially as the day goes on. I used to work at a restaurant and I would wear this every single day, especially night shifts when it would be crazy busy and I would be running around and in the hot kitchen area. This foundation would get me through those days. I give it four stars because although I do love it, it's not perfect for me and I can only wear it so often and on days when I really need my makeup to last and when I can't touch up. I still get oily with this but for the sake of such great coverage I think it's worth owning and for super fair skin too it has nice shades.
Sarah M.
Sarah M.
Braselton, GA
Honestly, this is one of my favorite foundations. I have freckles, and although I like having the freckled, beachy look sometimes, I prefer a full coverage on most days. This gives me that.
At $35, you are getting SO much out of this. It is cheaper than most high end foundations, and a little goes a long way! It is a very heavy foundation, and because of that it can crease if you don't set it. Most of the time, I mix it with a thin consistency foundation to create a perfect finish. I have mixed it with Teint Idole Ultra 24H Long Wear Foundation, Maybelline Fit Me, and Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse. Honestly, you could use anything to kind of tone it down a little. THIS WORK WONDERS covering my freckles. You only need about 1 or 2 pumps to cover your face. You don't want to put too much, because this can begin to look cakey, which is why I like to mix it. It doesn't get pachy, can bear through sweat and oils. Although this is a thick foundation, it does not feel smothering. I see that most of the reviews here say that they love this foundation and they have dry skin. I have oily skin and ADORE this foundation. It is definitely one of my holy grails and I will always go back to it.
Shawna P.
Shawna P.
Phoenix, AZ
After having a horrible experience trying to find a holy grail foundation, I was hesitant to try yet another one recommended by Sephora. I live in Arizona and have oily skin, not the best combination. I am also prone to acne and have acne scars that I have to have covered or else...yeah no. I first tried the MUFE foundation that everyone and their mom swears by. This barely covered my scars and I had to use a ton just to get decent coverage, Then I tried two shades of UD All Nighter. Lasted....not long and looked horrible...I'm talking major oxidation and looked cakey and totally like I used a one dollar foundation. Back to the store I went.

I finally was recommended this stuff, and it took me a bit to get used to. I love the coverage and how you only have to use a little. I was told by the salesperson to apply this with a brush, but for some reason it didn't seem to last as long and didn't look as even. I now use a beauty blender and it lasts pretty well. Does it last all night? Not really, but it still looks semi nice even after hours of wear. And best of all...it's cheaper than all their other ones I tried!
Luna G.
Luna G.
Milwaukie, OR
This is a good match for my skin tone. I'm about an N5 and related to Casper the friendly ghost. XD I haven't used this with the KVD primer. I have used this on its own and with other primers. The coverage is great. I find applying it with a damp beauty blender works best for me. I find that I don't need to use a powder to set this. I have dehydrated skin and adding powder on top of it makes it look patchy and it creates dry patches/flakes. For me it's best with no powder. It does well with and without a setting spray. It does melt a little and disappear where my glasses sit, but I find that every foundation/bb cream I use does this. I get a good 6-8 hours wear out of it before it starts to kind of disappear around my nose. This does not irritate my skin and it doesn't cause any break outs. This is great for me since I have had issues with other foundations causing breakouts. I am super pleased with this foundation. Not only does it match my pale skin very well but it doesn't cause breakouts and it wears really well. Would definitely buy again.
Miranda R.
Miranda R.
Fresno, CA
This foundation...where do I begin? I really wanted to like this product, because 1. It is full coverage 2. It's staying power and 3. It looks so good on others. I went to Sephora to purchase a good, long wear, and full coverage foundation. I was unsure of whether to try this or the Estée Lauder Double Wear (which I have yet to try) and was swayed to buy the Lock-It foundation over the latter. I decided to use it the next day, and the first thing I noticed was the smell. It reminded me of paint. When I applied it, it seemed hard to blend and very thick, again, like paint. I did notice the redness in my face disappeared and any other blemishes, but it made my skin feel heavy, especially after highlighting and contouring. I decided to get my money's worth and use the remainder of the product, but only on nights out when I know I wouldn't be sweating in the sun, or only wearing makeup for a few hours. I most likely won't be purchasing this again, but I do envy those who have had a positive experience with this product.
Emily G.
Emily G.
Arden, NC
I absolutely adore this foundation, but it's not the easiest to work with. I had tried it once before and didn't get on with it, because I didn't know how to use it. I think I had been applying it with my fingers and not getting the best results. I decided on the advice of a friend to try it again with a dense brush (the Sigma F82 is what I am using) and a water based primer (currently using Laura Mercier) and I am getting fantastic results. I cannot stress enough that less is more with this foundation. Use it where you need it and less in areas where you have fine lines. I don't use it around my eyes and just use concealer there. I use NARS Light Reflecting Powder with this and it looks stunning. I'm so happy that Light 42 is pale enough for me and happy to see this has a great color range. The coverage is great for my sun spots and scars. I use an oil cleanser to remove this and I recommend that anyone who wears a long-wearing foundation do the same and this should help prevent breakouts. Happy wearing!
Ruby T.
Ruby T.
Great foundation but it's a very heavy and thick foundation! I usually only wear this during cool/cold weather. I live in Texas and it just starts to look and feel very cakey when exposed to extreme heat. While living in Finland though the cool/cold temperatures left my face looking completely flawless and the foundation would stay put even when I'd fall asleep [I know it's not good to fall asleep with makeup]. If you have oily skin this foundation is def for you cause it will NOT slip around at all, BUT if you do live in an area where there is a lot of humidity and heat I'd recommend applying translucent powder and setting with a good setting spray to allow it to last longer without looking cakey. In the end I would honestly recommend using it during cool weather because I've had bad experiences during hot weather. If you have dry skin I'd flat out would not recommend this because it does cling to dry patches. Overall it is a great foundation, just not the best during the summer time imo.
Bethany W.
Bethany W.
Beauty Junkie Expert
This stuff!
After trying any drug store brand I could, I took the dive and spent $35 on this.
You really need to sample two or three colors and wear them for a bit, browse the store, and come back and see how it looks. Some reviews say it oxidizes and turns orange-ish on you. I think they weren't properly matched with a color. You need to understand your skins undertones to get the right match. This stuff sets very quickly, so work on small areas at a time. Then re-dampen your beauty blender and buff out the areas that need more blending. A little goes a long way! One small pump and I've done my whole face. This is HIGHLY pigmented, so you will look very flat afterwards. You have to use blush, bronzer, and a highlighter to add demention to your face afterwards. I do a light color correction before putting it on (after primer!), and only need a dab more of correction under my eyes after I use it. Blend your hairline very well after too. You'll have a totally blank canvas after using!
Chasidy D.
Chasidy D.
Cleveland , OH
Beauty Junkie Expert
I have mixed feelings. This foundation covers well and is great for my summer color. However it lacks in paler shades and doesn't match much in the winter. It also clogs my pores more than other foundations so I have to be religious about using my clarisonic when I use this. It does make me shiny throughout the day, so I constantly blot with blotter sheets but as I said it does cover really well and doesn't feel super heavy. It's cheaper than some other foundations I enjoy so I'll probably keep using this for summer months. Still looking for that winter shade though!
EDIT/UPDATE: so I recently purchased this foundation again since it's been repackaged and I don't know if they reformulated it or what but it's awful. I tried for a week with several different primers and Setting sprays to make this work because I loved the color but it's a no-go and was returned. It's very cakey-will not go on smoothly. It wears quickly and makes your skin very uneven looking. Better off without it.
Robyn W.
Robyn W.
What is the best way to apply? fingers? brush? beauty blender?
Amanda W.
Amanda W.
Cat B.
Cat B.
Crowley tx
Does this foundation come on very thick?
Ceci F.
Ceci F.
I have Rosacea, would this be able to cover up my rosy red cheeks?
Amanda C.