Kat Von D Lock-it Tattoo FoundationInfluenster Beauty Awards Winner 2016

BY KAT VON D #22 in Liquid Foundation

A high-pigment foundation for full coverage with a long-lasting, beautiful finish. Kat created this foundation to provide exceptional coverage, without compromising a smooth, striking finish. Formulated with 21 percent pigment, this powerful formula was developed to match a broad range of skintones with bold coverage the proprietary pigments can even effectively cover tattoos. The combination of raw materials and the best siliconic elastomers and siliconic esters provide 24-hour wear with transfer resistance. Natural polymers absorb oil for a matte, soft finish and the added emollients provide a velvety texture for perfectly smooth, hydrated skin. It is formulated Without: - Parabens - Synthetic Fragrances This foundation has been formulated to work synergistically with Kat's Rehab Priming Elixir, Tattoo Concealer, and Lock 'N Load Setting Mist.

• What is the best way to apply? fingers? brush? beauty ble...180 Answers
  • Does this stay on long enough or does it fade away thru o...9 Answers
Buy on Sephora
Heather D.
Newark
Review for: 47 Light - Neutral Undertone, 48 Light - Neutral Undertone more...
I'm not sure if everyone else giving this bad reviews about it being super-thick, hard to apply or not lasting long is because of the way they are applying it or if the fact that I use an awesome primer ( BECCA Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector™ ) that I don't have or see these types of issues. (although I have used it with  Urban Decay Optical Illusion Complexion Primer and have gotten almost the same wear out of it)

I have always had major issues with finding foundations that will actually stay on my face. My forehead is oily, the rest of my face is pretty normal, but I break out all sweaty whenever I get slightly warm.

With each and every other foundation that I've tried (except one of the Clinique lines), using them with primers, with fixing sprays, alone, etc, they will come off as soon as I touch my face with anything - hands, clothes, tissues... it didn't matter. My work phone & keyboard had residue all over them from it coming of on my hands or rubbing off on my phone. Then after a few hours, whatever was left would clump into spots on my face. Unfortunately, due to rather dark circles under my eyes, I don't ever leave the house without foundation on, so I'm always looking for one that will actually work.

Here's the deal - this one actually works! And it lasts all day! It goes on easy and doesn't feel heavy or cakey. I use one pump for my entire face, use an applicator sponge to spread it around then a light application of the  Kat Von D Lock-it Setting Powder and i'm done. While it's a good foundation, it doesn't cover up or disappear my dark circles or any blemishes that I may have - that's what I use a concealer for. I guess if you layered it on or put a large amount on initially and didn't spread it out a lot, it would be able to cover those things, but that's not how I use it.

My only issue with it is more with Sephora than the foundation because they are continually sold out of the shade I used to use, which sent me on a quest for another foundation to discover that nothing matches the Lock-it's performance. So, I made a slight adjustment on the shade and went back to this one.
Laura T.
Review for: Other more...
This is a 3.5/4 star review. I use this foundation with the Lock It setting powder and Lock it Edge foundation brush. I have relatively normal skin with oil on the tip of my nose, a bit on my cheeks, and my chin. I have acne, and this foundation does a very good job of covering up my acne. There is a natural matte finish with a light glow to it, but even though radiant foundations accentuate my acne, this one keeps my acne visibility at a minimal.

This foundation goes on very well, it is immediately full coverage and I usually use around 3-5 pumps to cover my entire face. Its a light foundation, does not feel like it is suffocating my skin, but the initial smell reminds me of acrylic paint. The foundation blends well with the edge brush, and I have tried it with a beauty blender but personally like the lock it edge brush better (They are both good).

Although this foundation is supposed to last twenty four hours, the redness on my nose seeps beyond the foundation after 5 hours but the rest of my face (even the acne on my cheeks/contour area) is intact. However, the foundation settles into the cracks on the side of my nostrils, and my pores become visible after about 4 to five hours. My laugh lines get pretty bad after about 3 hours, and I try to blend it out with a paper towel when I am at work.

This foundation IS NOT "non-transferrable". If I touch my skin, the foundation comes off and can leave my skin looking patchy... It is a good foundation if you do not touch your face... ever. So far, this foundation is the best one that I have been able to use but I am vegan, so my options are not as extensive as I would like ( there are many that are vegan formulas but the companies test on animals so I reject those as well ).

Overall, this formula is okay if you are able to touch up. I think touching up your skin is pretty common though, but keeping a brush or something to correct any creases in your skin and touch up particularly oily areas is a good idea.
Morgan H.
Huntingdon Vy, PA
Review for: 42 LIGHT - NEUTRAL UNDERTONE, 45 LIGHT - WARM UNDERTONE, 48 Light - Neutral Undertone more...
I hate to be negative but this is probably my least favorite foundation. It is full coverage but it’s really heavy on the skin. It gets cakey and looks like a mask on my skin. I can’t recommend for anything other than tattoo coverage which it is great for obviously given the name of the foundation. But other than that, I really dislike this foundation. I’ve tried sheering it out multiple times with a moisturizer and I still don’t like it because it still clings to my dry patches. So now, I only use this on my clients when I’m doing bridal makeup and they need me to cover a tattoo that’s on their body. If it comes to a face tattoo I will do an entire different process so that I’m not applying this foundation to the face because of the mask-like appearance it gives. If you love the fullest of full coverage you may end up liking this, but even my friends that only wear full coverage foundations weren’t a fan of this either. I wouldn’t recommend this for dry skin, because it empathizes damn near all the dryness on my face no matter how much I exfoliate and moisturize my skin beforehand. I’ve honestly tried to make this work over 10 times because when I spend my hard earned money on a product I want to get use out of it of course. So although I didn’t end up liking the foundation on my skin, I’m at least happy that I found use for it with tattoo coverage. But that being said, when I run out of this completely I won’t be repurchasing because I have other products that give just as much coverage and cover tattoos just as good as this does. Because of that, I find no need to spend the money on this yet again to only use it for one thing. It’s too steep of a price tag also for me to purchase again solely for that reason. I use it now because I have it and it works and I do my best to use the products till there is not a drop left if possible.
Jennifer P.
Jersey Vlg, TX
Review for: Light 45 Neutral more...
If you want something that covers well for pictures then this is the one for you but all day it’s a no. It excentuates my lines and sun damage wrinkles. I’m a neutral undertone and can be warm or cool just a little and I got 42 which is a light neutral but it’s pretty yellow. It’s a nice light color but I think I definitely should have went with the 41 especially after setting powder and all.

I didn’t use a ton but I definitely used enough because I got pretty decent coverage but not full coverage. After it dries it’s more lightweight but definitely goes on heavy. I bet if I used more I’d get complete full coverage but I just can’t do that in this Texas heat. Overall, it feels nice in the skin but for the cost and coverage, I like the makeup forever ultra hd better than this. Creases less and covers the same but it doesnt hold out all day like this. So really a mixed review to me. I don’t see the hype. Makes me remember why I hate Foundation. Was worth a try and I thought it’d make me be into Foundation due to the hype. Verdict is.....nope. P. S. I’m 35 and also go by purplepiper516 or Piper0516

First photo shows natural lighting inside. Second is while I was outside in my car. Shows the lines more. Cakey
Jasmine B.
Review for: Deep 78 Neutral more...
It would have been really great if there was at least one other shade of Deep Neutral.  As of right now, there is only ONE deep shade of Lock It foundation for people with neutral undertones.  I'm hoping that will change in the future.

This is a thick, FULL COVERAGE foundation.  There is no such thing as layering when it comes to Lock It.  Most people probably won't even need to use a full pump to cover their entire face.  I didn't see it oxidize that much.  One thing that I don't like about this foundation is that it tends to dry down and set almost immediately so you have to blend it fast.  I prefer to use my Sigma F80 - Flat Kabuki Brush .

I start to see a little bit of oil seep through on my nose after 6 hours of wear; this is excellent for my skin type.  I do find that the coverage is a bit more long lasting when I set it with the  Kat Von D Lock-it Makeup Setting Mist than some of my other setting sprays.
Edita P.
Middleton, MA
Review for: 45 LIGHT - WARM UNDERTONE more...
I have light skin that is normal. I picked shade 45 as it was described as light with neutral undertone. It looks pretty fine in the bottle, but once I tested it on my hand, it seemed way too yellow and too dark for me. However, it seemed to match me quite well when I applied it on the face. It is still on the darker side, but it is wearable and will be perfect when i tan. My only complaint is that it is a very very thick foundation. It still applies good, but I prefer lighter feeling on my skin, so I use it by mixing in some serum or moisturizer into the foundation. It gets thinner and applies easier. It still looks great and gives long lasting full coverage.

I purchased this foundation before a trip to Europe. I also took another foundation (just in case), but never touched it as I loved Kat Von D. It was reliable every time I used it. It was great for 10 hour trip to Europe (9 hours on a plane) and lasted throughout most of that day once I reached my destination. The trip back was 15 hours and the foundation lasted perfectly. I slept on the plane, touched my face, etc and my makeup still looked great
melissa l.
El Centro, CA
For years I was completely anti-liquid foundations. I could never find the right shade for my skin tone and they always seemed to be too sheer, too heavy, too oily, too dry, or too cakey. Liquid foundations always seemed to break down after a few hours in the sun, which is never cute. However, I happened to see a girl who just swore by this and her face looked amazing. I tried it out and now I live and die by this stuff. The coverage is killer and my skin always looks flawless now. I am personally convinced it could withstand a nuclear war; it is that long lasting. Another thing that I love about this foundation is that I never break out from it, which is amazing for a liquid foundation. I would definitely use this product with a good quality foundation brush though because of the thickness. It does dry kinda fast, so using a brush really helps get the product onto the face quickly and flawlessly. 10/10 for sure!
Marissa R.
Review for: Light 43 Warm more...
I used to wear this religiously back in college, but stopped purchasing to try something with a lighter feel. I recently tried it again, as my skin has been developing a lot of hyperpigmentation lately and I wanted a bit more coverage. I really wanted to love it the way I used to, but I just can’t get into it considering what factors I want. I have very oily skin, and it doesn’t last for the duration of my work day. I get a lot of separation and needed to blot twice. It’s also very thick, so I felt like I was pulling on my skin when applying. The reason I’m giving 3 stars is because the color match is awesome, and I really do like how it looks for the first couple hours. This would be something I would wear if I was going to a special event for a few hours and wanted that “matte but not flat”, full coverage, photo-finish. But, I can’t say I like it enough to buy a whole bottle just for that purpose.
Charlotte P.
Redondo Beach
Review for: 52 Medium - Warm Undertone more...
I started using this product since I was about 21, which was 2015. I loved this product, and I still do to this day. It covers up all the dullness in my skin because I have dark undercircles and it covers that up. I like it as well, because I have a little bit of redness in my cheeks and it gives me a great cover finish. It is very good for combination skin types. I would definitely buy it again. I love everything Kat Von D makes and she is wonderful with her product line. I'm so happy to know that it even covers tattoos. I love it very much. Overall, I would recommend this product. wet n wild Photo Focus Natural Finish Setting Spray
Maci P.
Atoka
Review for: Medium 54 Neutral more...
I wanted SO badly for this foundation to work for me. My very first high end foundation.
It just was not the foundation for me.
I would have rated it a 2, but it is a great FULL coverage foundation. Just NOT for DRY SKIN.
1st of all, I bought online so I ended up ordering a shade incredibly too dark for me.
I drove an hour to our closest Sephora store to return it and get help from a consultant to find the right shade for me.
First question from her "Are you really SET on KVD? It's a very heavy foundation and you do not look like you need something that heavy. And it is a matte finish, Which is the main reason it is sticking to your dry skin"
She set me up with another, lightweight, coconut oil infused, medium-full coverage foundation and WOW. The difference in the two is insane!
For dry skin, I'd rate the foundation a 1-2. Try something different!
For regular-oily skin.. 3-4. Give it a try!
Photo is with the KVD foundation on.. Just did not work for me and my dry skin. Can't tell in photo but I have orange dry skin spots ALL over my face. As u can tell, it is not the right color for me by comparing my face color to my chest. 😳
Robyn W.
What is the best way to apply? fingers? brush? beauty blender?
Amanda W.
Cat B.
Crowley tx
Does this foundation come on very thick?
Ceci F.
I have Rosacea, would this be able to cover up my rosy red cheeks?
Amanda C.