BY KANTO #82 in Speakers

Hear What You ve Been Missing Hear what you ve been missing by turning ordinary MP3 sound into something extraordinary with the Kanto SYD 5 iPod speaker system.  This 2.1 sound system has a built-in subwoofer for deep, resounding bass.  Additionally, two wide-range drivers offer exceptional audio quality across the spectrum, producing clear, crisp highs that sing.  The sleek, rectangular acoustic wood cabinet speaker system lets you dock and charge your iPod, and you can even output video from an iPod to your flat panel screen.  The SYD 5 is compatible with the latest iPod and iPhone models, and works with all MP3 players. Handcrafted Wood Delivers Enhanced Sound Clarity Unlike the plastic component. see more...

Daniel T.
Leicester, GB
This isn't your usual iPod dock with tiny speakers! This baby can really put out the sound. As the product descrition states, "Maclife magazine announces the Kanto SYD 5 as a winner in its 'gear of the year' awards." And, this is the only iPod dock to earn such an award this year.

This unit gathered immediate attention as soon as I pulled it out of the box. My 17-yr old son was extremely interested, as you might imagine, and he even wondered where it would be living at our place, since his older brother took the iPod dock with him when he went away to college. My wife even took notice, and she seldom pays much attention to technology that shows up at our place.

We have had this unit for about a week now, and we are extremely impressed by its sound quality! It has two 3" full-range speakers and a 5.25" woofer. These speakers are housed in an attractive white housing and fabric-covered front panel that is held in place by magnets. The back panel has bass reflex ports. That front panel is easily removed to expose the speakers, and is easily replaced. The unit also has a wide variety of dock adapters for every type of iPod, from first generation Nanos through iTouch and iPhone units, and it charges them too.

The Kanto can fill an entire room with sound. As I mentioned above, it provides better sound than any iPod dock I've ever heard, and it even provides better sound than just about any portable stereo I've heard. Of course, this is not going to be able to go head to head with a full-blown component stereo, but it does, in fact serve as our main sound system. I think this would be a fantastic sound system for an apartment or other housing option where space is at a premium. It has a footprint larger than most iPod docks at 22" x 8". Still it will fit nicely in most shelves.

The rear panel provides multiple options for audio input including the following: a standard 4-pin S-video input, and an auxilliary input and 3.5 mm to RCA audio input for non-iPod MP3 player connection. The back also houses the power on-off toggle switch and volume knob.

I give the unit 5 stars for sound quality and 5 stars for overall design and appearance.

In my opinion the main weakness with this unit is the controls. Here is why I rate the controls at only about 3 stars. The only controls you can access without the remote are the one-off toggle switch and volume knob, which are both on the back of the unit. As such, these aren't especially convenient to manipulate. All other controls are manipulated via the small remote control unit that comes in the box. If you lose the remote or it gets broken, your ability to manipulate some of the controls for this unit will be lost.

The remote allows you to do the following:
- change the volume (remote or by hand)
- increase or decrease the bass (remote only)
- increase or decrease the treble (remote only)
- mute the sound (remote only)
- change the input selection (remote only, as far as I can tell)
- and manipulate an iPod that is seated on the dock (remote or by hand - all functions)

iPod manipulation is complete via the remote. You can turn on the iPod's backlight so you can see the screen, rewind or go to the previous selection, fast forward ro go to the next selection, change the shuffle status, manipulate the iPod menus, and it even has an option that does the same thing as the iPod's wheel. But, the remote is the only way that these controls can be accessed (of course you can always use the wheel on the iPod directly).

Surprisingly there is no power on/off button on the remote - a large oversight in my opinion. So, when you are done listening and you want to turn the unit off you have to go over to it and reach around to the back and turn it off.

All in all we are extremely pleased with this unit and it's seen lots of service at our place already. I think that it may find its best niche as a primary sound system for a small apartment, but it will be sure to find a place in any home.

Worried about the price tag? Yes, it is up there. At $300+ it is a pricey unit, but I think the price is worth it for the sound.
Kiana B.
Columbus, OH
The SYD5 is an amazing speaker system and it is quite amazing and shocking to see the mediocre reviews posted here. The SYD5 is very similar to Kanto's Ipair5 which is also getting rave reviews, with the exception that the SYD5 is a single unit rather than a 2 speaker system. There is a slight loss in imaging by not able to separate the two speakers but as far as sound quality, these are far superior than anything on the market, especially for the current advertized price. I have my Ipair5 and just ordered two of the SYD5 because I love this product so much. The SYD5 as a great advantage of having tonal balance on the remote so you can adjust the bass and treble is you want. It would be great if these settings were dials directly on the speaker rather than the flimsy remote but its better than the Audioengine A5+ which does not have any such adjustments. The only flaw I would say the SYD5 has is that when the audio is set to a bass and treble level you like, turning the device off will reset these setting to the neutral value. It is annoying but that is a small price to pay for the amazing audio quality provided by these speakers. Kanto is an unbelievable company and their products are top notch, their customer service is superior to anything out there and you will be amazed on how gorgeous, and how amazing these things sound. A person who listens to speakers for an hour and returns them is missing out on an amazing speaker,,,,these need time to break in, and they will get better, trust me. My Ipair5 were the same out of the box but these get better and better every single day....and I am not sure if the person took the time to properly set the bass, treble and location before calling it quits on the SYD5.
Serin H.
I've always wanted to try this, didn't get it but my friend did and I tried and it's a bomb.com well,,,in a good way, its sooooo awesome and bezarrrrr, go buy these, its pricey but I think it's amazing as the quality goes.
Brandi T.
Cincinnati, OH
Great sound and quality was amazing! This is a powerful little thing! Used outdoors for a gathering and people were asking where the music was coming from. It's a great items and would recommend.
Patricia V.
N Cape May, NJ
My Husband wanted a new speaker for the pool area and we decided on this one. It's well worth the money. The sound is crisp and clean. One of our new favorites!
Victoria  D.
This is such a great speaker! Great price. Not too expensive. Great quality. Gets a lot of sound out of them! Love the mint color too!
Jasmine B.
Foster City, CA
Super sound quality, plenty of bass, and plenty of power if you want to crank it up. I tried hooking it up to a 32" LCD TV via the S-video, and while it wasn't HD, it was pretty good.
Samantha F.
Coralville, IA
LOVE this product! The size and color are great! Makes technology look modern! Doesn't take up that much space and it's really a good price for the quality you get.
Melissa H.
Germantown, KY
One of my husband's friends has this I couldn't believe how loud and clear it was I thought it would be great to have on a trip to the beach
Brittaney M.
Holland, MI
This speaker is amazing, my cousin has one and it has great speakers. This item is currently at the top of my Christmas list this year.
Regina V.
Do these come in different colors? Id like to get one for my kids when they want to listen to learning music and we all can listen to it... =)
alby  y.
Spring, TX
Has anyone found this anywhere els for a cheaper price?!
Mariah S.
Always wanted to get one of these speakers. I have one from the drug store but I want something that will last and works good. Does this happen to be worth it? Lmk thanks!(:
Alyssa H.
Buffalo, Ny
Has anybody heard it directly compared to Bose? What's the benefit of this brand over another?
mary o.