BY JOHN FRIEDA®

From the John Frieda® Hair Care expert colorists. Our thick, saturating foam helps lock in rich, salon-quality hair color. Non-drip foam formula penetrates strands for deep color saturation and spreads easily into roots and hard-to-reach areas, for complete coverage without patchiness. 100% grey coverage. Nourishing after-color conditioner seals in color for long-lasting, tonal richness.

colorant: Aqua, Alcohol Denat., Decyl Glucoside, Ammonium Bicarbonate, Propylene Glycol, Ammonium Hydroxide, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Ethanolamine, Laureth-23, Parfum, Polyquaternium-7, Sodium Sulfite, Alcohol, Ascorbic Acid, Polyquaternium-22, Toluene-2,5-Diamine Sulfate, Myristyl Alcohol, Resorcinol, Potassium Oleate, m-Aminophenol, C11-15 Pareth-9, Tetrasodium EDTA

Developer:  Aqua, Hydrogen Peroxide, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cetyl Alcohol, Myristyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Etidronic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Salicylic Acid, Acetaminophen

After color Conditioner: Water, Glycerin, Stearyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Alcohol, Trisiloxane, Cetyl Esters, Dipropylene Glycol, Benzoic Acid, Fragrance, Benzyl Alcohol, Quaternium-91, Cetearyl Alcohol, Disodium Edta, Cetrimonium Methosulfate, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil

John Frieda® Precision Foam Color Permanent Hair Colour
  • "It's very easy to apply and I feel secure that my hair is covered well because you are actually Supposed to rub it in." in 8 reviews
  • "I used this two different times, both with a red dye and red is super hard to maintain but I found it was really easy to use." in 7 reviews
  • "I use it in conjunction with John Frieda's Brilliant Brunette for colored hair and the color lasts a long time and only starts to fade after 2 months." in 6 reviews
  • "First time I used I had shoulder length hair but it is very thick and one box really wasn't quite enough, when using liquid one box is plenty." in 6 reviews
  • "The color is also staying really well in my hair, most reds fade really fast and everywhere and I haven't seen that with this." in 5 reviews
Amanda H.
Texarkana
Review for: Luminous Natural Black (2N) more...
I not only love this color, but all of the colors I have tried by John Frieda. This company by far has the best at home coloring kits. The foam makes it super easy to apply and the color is always even and full of shine. My favorite hair color brand by far!
Paula T.
Pratt, WV
I bought this at ULTA. For 20 years I have not been able to keep red dye in my hair for more than a few days until I bought this brand. The red stayed in for 2 months. I have since tried to remove the dye with hair dye remover with no luck so I have had to let it grow out to get rid of the red. I love this hair dye because it does stay in so well. I highly recommend this product to anyone who has issues with keeping color in place.
Maria D.
Rock Island, IL
this product is great! i tried it out and it does give you a color you want/desire. it is higher priced compared to other alternatives. the only downside is sometimes it can be patchy since it's foam. However, i prefer the foam method because it's easier
Lien C.
Hightstown, NJ
I LOVE John Freida's hair dye. It actually works super well (better than any other box dye I've tried..and I actually like it more than the dye I got from Sally's)

I love how long it holds your color and its easy to use. also the conditioner thats included smells amazing!

I started buying this to dye my moms hair (we use one bottle and her hair is about 2.5 ft long) what we do is shake up the bottle and do her roots first wait 15 then use the rest of the bottle to go over her ends then wait 20 mins then wash out.

I use the expresso dark brown *its almost black but not exactly and looks natural on my olive complexion

It didn't feel too damaging either. Quite a few people have actually told me my hair looks healthier afterwards.

Also if you pair w John Freidas Brillant Brunette shampoo it will naturally lighten it over time

10/10 for ease of use & quality as well

ALSO: its available at Ulta (; *bonus points*

This is one of my favorite products(:

Emily L.
New Carlisle, OH
Hairstylists, beware! This story is likely to make you cringe. I really did a number on my hair after trying an at-home highlighting kit on my long, naturally brown hair. The outcome? Bronze hair. Yuck. I actually went around with my head looking like a scuffed third-place trophy for weeks before I had the chance to color it. I chose John Frieda Precision Foam Color because it was a new product at the time and I liked the "Darkest Brown" color, the price, and the idea of a mess-free application. While the color WAS gorgeous (and lasted longer than other permanent hair colors I've tried), I found that the foam was messier than traditional liquid. It was like putting mousse in your hair—sometimes the mousse will splatter because it's so light, which is exactly what happened with this hair color. Needless to say, I left spots all over my bathroom that were nearly impossible to remove. Luckily, we had to paint a couple of months later, so it's not there anymore. However, because I can't risk having to paint again, I will avoid this product (but I'll still use their liquid hair color).
Jenn B.
Lexington, KY
Review for: Dark Cool Espresso Brown 4PBN more...
I love love love this product. I had never dyed my hair before, but had highlights from middle school then I had been growing out and you could see the line pretty well so I wanted them gone without cutting my hair. I got this at Ulta and it was so simple to use and I did it 2 times after my first use. The colour does fade in the sun but I can't see my highlights anymore so I was more than happy.
Bryanna C.
Clio
Review for: Blue Black (2A) more...
This is such an easy hair dye to use, since the formula is a foam it glides on to the hair and you arent struggling to get every last drop through your hair. It also comes with double the conditioner which we all love the heavy duty conditioner that comes with hair dye. The color is as natural as a blue black can be, a little wig like at first but I highly recommend this product.
Miri T.
Review for: Med Cool Pearl Brown 5PBN more...
I started using this and switched from Feria because that unfortunately wasn’t covering my grays or lasting much anymore. This is like a mousse hair color and I like the concept, but once that mess melts into your hair as it’s processing, it drips down your head and face. But it do do it’s job, covered up my grays easily I went a bit longer without having to touch up. The color is very nice too.
Holleen D.
Hudson Falls, NY
I love this hair preciision foam colour. Normally I would need 2 boxes. I bought 2 but only needed 1.. The color is True!! Usually I do a Demi in Matrix of Cherry Cola. Well this is a permanent with no drip no mess no high cost at salon....
Megan G.
This is my favorite at home hair color. I love that it is a foam that doesn't drip all over the place and it smells better than anything else I have used. It is easy to use and provides a rich color that lasts well. It is affordable and pretty easy to find. Totally recommend.
Barbara B.
Which is better traditional hair dye or the foam (for long hair), what makes it better??
Alexus R.
Clinton Twp, MI
I have been wanting to try this for awhile. Is it easy to apply? Does it cover your whole head?
Amanda G.
Toledo, OH
For shoulder length, semi thick hair, is one box enough?
Valarie H.
Tulsa, OK
Did John Frieda last long for you? Did anyone else think it was pricey for the amount of product in the bottle?
Shannon M.
Apex, NC
I was wondering if anyone has ever used hair dye for eyebrows. And if so, what brand works best?