BY JOHN FRIEDA® #29 in Permanent Hair Color

Our non-drip foam formula penetrates strands for deep colour saturation and spreads easily into roots and hard-to-reach areas for complete coverage without patchiness. The result—salon-quality colour with 100% grey coverage.

• I have been using this John Frieda, 3VR, for as long as I can rem...1 Answers
  • I have very thick hair and the length goes to about where my bra ...2 Answers
  • How well does this product last? Does it have amonia?2 Answers
John Frieda® Precision Foam Color Permanent Hair Colour
  • "It's very easy to apply and I feel secure that my hair is covered well because you are actually Supposed to rub it in." in 8 reviews
  • "I used this two different times, both with a red dye and red is super hard to maintain but I found it was really easy to use." in 7 reviews
  • "I use it in conjunction with John Frieda's Brilliant Brunette for colored hair and the color lasts a long time and only starts to fade after 2 months." in 6 reviews
  • "First time I used I had shoulder length hair but it is very thick and one box really wasn't quite enough, when using liquid one box is plenty." in 6 reviews
  • "The color is also staying really well in my hair, most reds fade really fast and everywhere and I haven't seen that with this." in 5 reviews
Mandy P.
Spring, TX
Costs a little more than I generally like to spend for box hair color (particularly since I have to buy at least two boxes to accommodate my incredibly thick hair), but it is worth the extra cost. The color is amazing, and it didn't damage my hair.
CHRISTINA A.
Merced, CA
I've been using the John Frieda Precision Foam Color for the past 2 years and love the performance and choices of colors it comes in. I also love how easy it is to to use and the lack of messes it leaves. I never have to worry about making messes or the dye running like you do with so many other hair dyes. Plenty of compliments too. Currently I go back and forth between two shades and love them both.
May 2016 update
Still loving this hair dye. The colors are so rich and completely cover any gray hairs I have which is a plus. It lasts an average of 2 months without needed to touch up.
Demetre C.
Kettering, OH
I love most John Frieda products and the Precision Foam Permanent Hair Colour does not disappoint. My hair looks like I've been to a salon to get it done. It's coverage is really good but somehow some of those grays hairs escaped the color. The only thing I did't like about this product is the strength of the scent. I have asthma as well as allergies and even though this isn't as strong as some, it still caused me to have a negative reaction. So anyone who suffers from lung conditions or is really sensitive to smells, take caution (this is the only reason I rated it a B instead of an A)! Also, if you have sensitive eyes, take caution too, my eyes were a bit irritated from the fumes. My eyes may not have liked this product, but my hair sure did!
Angie K.
South Lyon, MI
Great product. This product is easy to apply and the solution does not drip. The color lasts longer than other hair color brands that I have tried. I highly recommend it.
Mikayla C.
Grove City, PA
Review for: Medium Chestnut Brown 5NBG more...
Even though this isn't quite as messy as other hair dyes, I thought the quality of the color wasn't all that great. I found that the color pay-off was weak and didn't have a good staying power... it washed out in just 3 washes and left my hair looking dull! I love the foam texture, but I think they need to work on making the color last a little longer. I don't have that high of expectations when it comes to box dyes, but this just didn't make the cut for me, especially since it's one of the pricier options at the drugstore.
Sarah S.
Arvada, CO
I love using this hair dye when I go for dark browns or reds. They are gentle on hair and provide great coverage. I would recommend two cases if you have longer hair.
Andrea S.
South Bend, IN
I love this hair dye! I am naturally blonde but I wanted a big change so I used this dark red color. It was my first time dying my hair and it went great. Instructions were clear and application was very easy. My hair looks healthy too! I've had so many people ask what salon I went to and how much I paid to get it done. Everyone was shocked to hear it came from a box! I will keep using this!
Denise R.
Rochester Hls, MI
I bought this about 9 months ago because I had a coupon and haven't used anything else since. It doesn't drip, application is super easy, and the color always looks great, with no unevenness. Another thing I love about it is that it's perfect for long hair. With other brands, I always had to buy 2 boxes. One is more than enough with this brand and my hair is mid-back length. I also have very sensitive skin and this brand does not burn at all, I can hardly tell it's there. It cleans off skin very easy too and doesn't stain like other brands. The color is nice and even, no blotchy areas and my ends don't end up darker than the rest. I do wish it covered gray a little better.
Lauren L.
Roanoke, TX
I will never buy another at home hair color. The price is around $12 but it is COMPLETELY worth it. I dyed my hair from very dark brown with red streaks to a really pretty shade of black (2n). The only negative reviews I've read concerning this product are regarding going blonde from a very dark shade. This product was so easy to use and covered my hair overall so well that I could've done this alone and without any help. Instead, I had my husband help me. He dyed it hisself for me and it came out fantastic! (my hubby is NOT a girly guy- he's a maintenance supervisor) The conditioner that came in the box recommends to use it twice a week, and it really helped my color looks vibrant and last longer when used as recommended. The conditioner smells great, too!
Crystal L.
I was very pleased with easy to use foam. No drips down face or neck to worry with. Does wonderful coloring and covering of grey. Though you need to be aware that you may require more than you normally would with a liquid coloring product. First time I used I had shoulder length hair but it is very thick and one box really wasn't quite enough, when using liquid one box is plenty. So when considering costs of two boxes of this foam compared to one box of the liquid I would not use John Frieda foam. I am very thrifty which is why I color at home. But absolutely loved the foam and the post-color condition treatment. If my hair was short I would definitely buy this again.
Barbara B.
Which is better traditional hair dye or the foam (for long hair), what makes it better??
Alexus R.
Clinton Twp, MI
I have been wanting to try this for awhile. Is it easy to apply? Does it cover your whole head?
Amanda G.
Toledo, OH
For shoulder length, semi thick hair, is one box enough?
Valarie H.
Tulsa, OK
Did John Frieda last long for you? Did anyone else think it was pricey for the amount of product in the bottle?
Shannon M.
Apex, NC
I was wondering if anyone has ever used hair dye for eyebrows. And if so, what brand works best?