BY CHEGG

Scott O'Dell won the Newbery Medal in 1961 for his unforgettable novel Island of the Blue Dolphins, based on the true story of a Nicoleño Indian girl living in solitude between 1835 and 1853 on San Nicolas Island, only seventy miles off the coast of Southern California. His quietly gripping tale of Karana's survival, strength, and courage-and vivid descriptions of island life-has captivated readers for decades. A classic! see more...

Ashley C.
The way this book is written is very different than the styles most people were used to now a days. They had to translate the book since she was isolated for many years and unable to communicate with the civil world. Its a tragic story line with many ups and downs.
Brandon M.
Augusta, GA
I absolutely love this book. I remember as if it were yesterday in my 5th grade class our teacher reading this to us every day until it was complete. I would sit and literally close my eyes and be captivated and trapped in the story. I remember loving it so much and loving that feeling that I felt while being read to and just never forgetting this book and it has been almost 20 years.
Alex P.
Elizabeth, PA
Great example of overcoming adversity and redemption. I think this is a perfect book for young and old readers, especially since it is based of a true story. The description in this book is so detailed and well thought out / put together that you are able to picture everything in your mind.
Mariam K.
Bronx, NY
I read this book a long long time ago. Couldn't remember the name and because the author uses such amazing technique, I thought that I remembered the plot was from a movie. :(
Heather B.
Saint Albans, WV
I love this book! It is the one that made me fall in love with reading. It would be a perfect book for any little girl since it is a story about a little girl that gets left on an island by herself and has to find a way to survive.
Melanie S.
Virginia
I loved this book as a young teen! I also read the sequel. Great story of a young girl and how she survived living on the island.
Angel P.
Lathrop, CA
Read this book as a little girl in class . I loved it and you get very attatched to the characters
Ashleydawn W.
I remember reading this in school. Crazy the things we remember and the things we don't.