BY CHEGG

Scott O'Dell won the Newbery Medal in 1961 for his unforgettable novel Island of the Blue Dolphins, based on the true story of a Nicoleño Indian girl living in solitude between 1835 and 1853 on San Nicolas Island, only seventy miles off the coast of Southern California. His quietly gripping tale of Karana's survival, strength, and courage-and vivid descriptions of island life-has captivated readers for decades. A classic! see more...

Heather B.
Heather B.
Saint Albans, WV
I love this book! It is the one that made me fall in love with reading. It would be a perfect book for any little girl since it is a story about a little girl that gets left on an island by herself and has to find a way to survive.
Mariam K.
Mariam K.
Bronx, NY
I read this book a long long time ago. Couldn't remember the name and because the author uses such amazing technique, I thought that I remembered the plot was from a movie. :(
Angel P.
Angel P.
Lathrop, CA
Read this book as a little girl in class . I loved it and you get very attatched to the characters
Ashleydawn W.
Ashleydawn W.
I remember reading this in school. Crazy the things we remember and the things we don't.
Alex P.
Alex P.
Elizabeth, PA
Review for: Island of the Blue Dolphins
Great example of overcoming adversity and redemption. I think this is a perfect book for young and old readers, especially since it is based of a true story. The description in this book is so detailed and well thought out / put together that you are able to picture everything in your mind.