Ion Color Brilliance Permanent Creme Hair Colors

• How does this compare to the new L'oreL Colorista collect...1 Answers
Ion Color Brilliance  Permanent Creme Hair Colors
Ion Color Brilliance Permanent Creme Hair Colors
Rihem l.
After doing as much study as possible on this site and others, I decided to try the Ion Color Brilliance permanent creme color. I've been lightly frosting my thin, layered hair for 25 years. It is naturally an ashy light to med brown color, with a minimum of gray, and in fairly decent condition. Of course, the frosted areas are more porous and damaged. I just grew tired of the color and was ready for a change...but so scared of really messing up!

I gathered from the reviews here, that the Ion tends to run dark, so I decided on two neutral colors: Light Brown 5N and Dark Blonde 6N. I wanted mild auburn highlights, and selected Light Burgundy Brown 5RV. I chose the red-violet, as opposed to red because I know my hair has a gold-orange base. From studying the color wheel that Ion supplies, because of the violet, the red-violet tone was closest to being the opposite of orange.

From the back of my head next to the scalp, I cut 5 test strips of about 15 hairs each, and wrapped them at the ends with tape. This might sound drastic, but I wanted to clearly see the results on full strands. I mixed various proportions of the colors (writing them down) with the developer, checking developing time against color results. Viewing the results in both room light and sunlight, I determined that the equal amounts of the 5N and 6N with 1/4 of the 5RV was closest to my desired color. The test strands showing 1/3 of each of the 3 colors was beautiful, but a little too red for me.

I received the 30 volume developer free with my purchase of Ion color. I diluted it to 25 volume by mixing 3/4 of the 30 vol to 1/4 distilled water, or 3:1. To the mixture I added only 2 drops of the Gray Magic. After mixing well and using the Ion color brush, I applied color to the middle of the hair shaft first, then the ends (most porous), and roots last (warmest area of the head - causing color to develop faster). I allowed the color to develop for 40 minutes, followed by shampooing and using Ion Color Defense Color Sealer.

That was one week ago today. After shampooing again, my hair is STILL beautiful! The color is rich and so pretty, with a hint of pretty red in the sunlight. It is soft and shiny, looks thicker, and the roots don't have that "after color" glow (if you know what I mean). I am terribly happy with the results, and will certainly use Ion again.

I think much of our success depends on the homework we do though. We all have different hair types, base colors, and the condition of our hair at the time of coloring is a large part of the equation. In other words, what works for one, may not work for another. It is crucial to learn as much as you can about your own hair, it's condition, and the product first. I appreciate each and every review here. They were most helpful to me! Thank You!
Elizabeth M.
Love ion's permanent hair colours! As someone who goes from brunette to blonde to red to many other colours, it is important to have a brand of dye I can rely on. Ion never lets me down, from there brilliant blondes to their richest reds - they've got their formula on lock. I'm never disappointed with the pigment of the shades and find they are much easier on my hair than drug store hair dye. Often you can find ion colour at Sally Beauty Supply with some sort of sale going on :)
Char C.
Niagara Falls
I had dark hair and I wanted to go a brighter red and I also had some really bad dark brown with grey roots (embarrassing). This hair dye is awesome. It evened out me hair and lightened my dark hair to a vibrant red that I love. It didn’t leave my hair dry or damaged and it was super soft. It was even cheaper than buying boxed dye and I love the results!
Rachel S.
I have been using this product since I got fed up with going to the salon constantly to just retouch my roots or even brighten and refresh my colour. For thin hair 1 box definitely does a great job. With myself I need 2 cause of how thick my hair is. Since using this product I've noticed that the colour doesnt fade like others or as quick like a box dye would.
Olga M.
Hialeah, FL
I've been coloring my hair for almost 12 years with different products. I have to say that Ion is hands down my favorite. No matter what brand I try, I seem to find myself going back to Ion. The undertones in these are intense. I've used hair dyes from other brands with a R undertone, and I felt like you could kiiiinda see the red in them. With Ion, the undertones are very apparent, which makes the overall color seem vibrant. I love it.
Shiianne r.
This is my favorite dye.
My hair colour? I'm not a real redhead, though I wish I were. This is the brand that got me to the colour I want, and I continually use it, as my roots grow in.
The nice things about it? The smell isn't horrible, which is a big change from the box dyes of old. It also sticks really well (my hair always hated taking colour), and it doesn't fade! Fading is the absolute worst thing that can happen with red hair, but I haven't had trouble since using ion!

The only thing I have difficulty with, is completely matching. I use the same box, every time, but the problem is... I'm *secretly* a natural blonde, but because I keep killing my hair with dye, it tends to come back a dirtier colour at first, before lightening up. So I'm never sure how long to keep the dye on for, and sometimes I end up with my roots being a tad lighter than the rest of my hair. It doesn't look bad or anything, but I can't seem to perfect this science yet. That's my own fault though.

Overall, I like this dye and the colours it offers. So does my sister - I made her hair blue not that long ago! Now THAT fades.
Aliesha H.
Halifax, NS
This product was decent the first time I tried it (I used a shade of purple for streaks),I didn't have any issues so I thought I would love it,the next time I tried it was a different story;I used the rose quartz shade after bleaching my hair,it took me 4 tubes and 2 attempts to get the color and it lasted a week which was disappointing because I wash my hair 1-2x a week with cool water AND use a color sealant. This stuff let me down
kacey d.
Cochrane , CA
I really did enjoy this product makes your hair feel nice the colours were pretty.. I used a purple and a blue I also enjoyed that they come premixed so you can use them more then once... I just wish the colour lasted longer in my hair I found it faded very fast compared to other brands I've tried .... but I would still say it's worth a try for the price
Rosemary C.
Peterborough , ON
I have used quite a few colours from ion and they are great. They are a creamer consistency which makes it easier to work with. I always get a great colour with them and my hair always feels like it just got a hair mask after. They also last a bit longer so I find that touch ups are needed as often
Jeremine R.
it is one of the best haird dyes that can exist has a great variety of colors besides that does not mistreat the hairas others mark has a pleasant aromas. Use several of this colors as the pink, blue, purple that lasted me like 2 weeks or more depending on the color many times it took more in that it was the color.
Amanda S.
Utica, MI
Carolyn H.
Charleston , WV
What is your choice of color when coloring hair with Ion?
Sarah S.